Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swindon Match Thread.. 09:17 - Aug 19 with 39649 viewsdale1968

So with the late dismissal yesterday of the management duo I would not even begin to try and asess tommorrows game, or even who will run the show from the dugout.
I hope that we can break our pts duck and come back north with something more positive.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Swindon Match Thread.. on 20:04 - Aug 19 with 3280 viewssuffolkdale

Swindon Match Thread.. on 17:50 - Aug 19 by 442Dale

Brierley.

Brierley is undoubtedly a prospect for the future, but to me Kelly is more experienced and physically more up to the current ‘battle’. No reason however that they can’t play 70/30 in most matches.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 20:09 - Aug 19 with 3237 viewsD_Alien

Swindon Match Thread.. on 19:45 - Aug 19 by jonahwhereru

A win tomorrow would ease the pressure on the board to make a quick appointment. Conversely a loss will only add more pressure to expedite an appointment. So basically a massive game tomorrow.
If RS couldn’t sort a winning team and formation, I am sure I have no chance of providing the magic formula, so won’t even offer an opinion.
UTDNFS

I'm writing tomorrow's game off. Anything but a defeat would be tremendous. What's an 'interim manager' meant to do in such a short space of time? And let's not forget, Hilly lost his first game as caretaker

How the players perform will be the most interesting thing. If they've got a spring in their step, it'll tell us summat

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Swindon Match Thread.. on 20:10 - Aug 19 with 3243 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Loathe to pick individuals after our start & my unerring knack of jinxing a team but formation wise I’d be tempted to go-
either 4-4-1-1 with a compact shape while defending to force the opposition wide. Going forward utilise a target man with a 2nd striker / advanced midfielder playing off him.
Alternatively
4-5-1 to flood the midfield & try to stop the opposition at source. This however places a huge burden on a lone striker if our midfield is forced back towards the back 4.
We do have pace in the team (see Burton) but that game aside just haven’t worked as a cohesive unit. Need to abandon zonal marking & go man for man & take some individual responsibility. Not convinced by either Ball or Diagouraga but could make the best of a bad job by using 1 or the other as a sitting midfielder to screen the back 4.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 20:29 - Aug 19 with 3158 viewsNorthernDale

I hope McNulty will use the knowledge and experience of Heno and Diagouraga tomorrow

The team, I would pick tomorrow is

O'Donnell

Nelson Ebanks-Lendell John White

Seriki Diagouraga Henderson Kelly Odoh

Rodney

Subs: Slicker (gk) , Brierley , Ball, Sinclair, Graham, Tulloch and either Taylor or Malley
Swindon Match Thread.. on 20:36 - Aug 19 with 3138 views442Dale

Swindon Match Thread.. on 20:04 - Aug 19 by suffolkdale

Brierley is undoubtedly a prospect for the future, but to me Kelly is more experienced and physically more up to the current ‘battle’. No reason however that they can’t play 70/30 in most matches.

There was far more to be positive about on a longer term basis from Brierley last season. Kelly has ability; right club, wrong time.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Swindon Match Thread.. on 08:47 - Aug 20 with 2778 viewsNigeriamark

Swindon Match Thread.. on 20:09 - Aug 19 by D_Alien

I'm writing tomorrow's game off. Anything but a defeat would be tremendous. What's an 'interim manager' meant to do in such a short space of time? And let's not forget, Hilly lost his first game as caretaker

How the players perform will be the most interesting thing. If they've got a spring in their step, it'll tell us summat

What he might be able to do immediately is to get rid of zonal marking. I wonder what his views are on this. He seems to be a no nonsense defender who I would imagine would like to be given a man to mark. However he may now be a convert to the discipline of zonal marking. I hope not.

I agree that anything but a loss would be a bonus, but Big Jim will know that a win or draw with a good performance may get him a couple more games. A poor loss with a goal from a set piece won't
[Post edited 20 Aug 2022 8:48]
Swindon Match Thread.. on 11:01 - Aug 20 with 2619 viewsCedar_Room

I don’t think any manager of any type would be able to turn much around in the space of a couple of days so I don’t expect much from this game. But it will be interesting to see the players effort and commitment which was certainly absent in those first 4 games. If that changes, even if we lose, it will be obvious how much of a problem RS had become whilst also giving some hope that this group of players could be moulded into something better than they’ve shown thus far.

The one question I do have however is why there seems to be so much enthusiasm for McNulty as manager. In the past few seasons he was a byword for ineptitude. You felt every time he was on the ball, even just on the pitch, we were more likely to concede a goal. Genuinely curious as to why this has translated into him being an amazing prospect to take over the team.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 11:17 - Aug 20 with 2557 viewsgolfaduffy

Swindon Match Thread.. on 11:01 - Aug 20 by Cedar_Room

I don’t think any manager of any type would be able to turn much around in the space of a couple of days so I don’t expect much from this game. But it will be interesting to see the players effort and commitment which was certainly absent in those first 4 games. If that changes, even if we lose, it will be obvious how much of a problem RS had become whilst also giving some hope that this group of players could be moulded into something better than they’ve shown thus far.

The one question I do have however is why there seems to be so much enthusiasm for McNulty as manager. In the past few seasons he was a byword for ineptitude. You felt every time he was on the ball, even just on the pitch, we were more likely to concede a goal. Genuinely curious as to why this has translated into him being an amazing prospect to take over the team.

Oh so true. Every time McNulty has played, he has made several really bad errors...some leading to goals, others just gifting the ball to the opposition or losing his man at set pieces. The only thing he as consistently done is shout and point at others after his own mistakes. Hopefully, his Management skills are better than is football ones.
It's the same with most people (not all) blindly picking Ball in CM. He as been woeful this season...looks miles off the pace, and has lost most of his mobility and passing ability from when he signed. Probly one of the biggest reasons why we've lost all the league games so far.

I am sad that Stockdale has gone and wish him well for the future, but I think we went worse when he brought Shan in as number two. Surely needed a more experienced number two?

Big changes needed, both on the field and in our coaching methods. However; as always Up the Dale.
Login to get fewer ads

Swindon Match Thread.. on 11:33 - Aug 20 with 2530 viewsboromat

Jim probably only found out Thurs or Fri that he would be interim manager. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing is changed for today and the team go-ahead with the plan they've been working on all week.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Swindon Match Thread.. on 11:48 - Aug 20 with 2437 views49thseason

Swindon Match Thread.. on 11:33 - Aug 20 by boromat

Jim probably only found out Thurs or Fri that he would be interim manager. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing is changed for today and the team go-ahead with the plan they've been working on all week.

No wonder we always lose on Tuesdays if it takes a week for them to get set- up for the next game! I realise a lot of footballers aren't very bright.. but a week? What happens when the opposition changes tactics? I always imagined they did the tactical stuff the day before the game and a quick reminder in the dressing room once the teams were announced?
Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:04 - Aug 20 with 2394 viewsEllDale

I’d be happy today just to see genuine 100% commitment and some battling spirit.
That would do for start.
I don’t think Jim has much scope to make sweeping tactical changes at 48 hours notice.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:26 - Aug 20 with 2327 viewsDale_4_Life

Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:04 - Aug 20 by EllDale

I’d be happy today just to see genuine 100% commitment and some battling spirit.
That would do for start.
I don’t think Jim has much scope to make sweeping tactical changes at 48 hours notice.

Agreed battling spirit and some courage..

Smarter football including ditching zonal marking and pissing about playing from the back from our own goal kicks.

Up the Dale.... More of Burton and the first half v Grimsby please!
Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:30 - Aug 20 with 2311 viewsfourfourtwo

Swindon Match Thread.. on 11:17 - Aug 20 by golfaduffy

Oh so true. Every time McNulty has played, he has made several really bad errors...some leading to goals, others just gifting the ball to the opposition or losing his man at set pieces. The only thing he as consistently done is shout and point at others after his own mistakes. Hopefully, his Management skills are better than is football ones.
It's the same with most people (not all) blindly picking Ball in CM. He as been woeful this season...looks miles off the pace, and has lost most of his mobility and passing ability from when he signed. Probly one of the biggest reasons why we've lost all the league games so far.

I am sad that Stockdale has gone and wish him well for the future, but I think we went worse when he brought Shan in as number two. Surely needed a more experienced number two?

Big changes needed, both on the field and in our coaching methods. However; as always Up the Dale.

“Every time McNulty he has made several really bad errors?”

That’s somewhat of a sweeping generalised statement. I seem to remember McNulty having many very good games for us when we competed well in League One. Yes he occasionally dropped clangers, as did many other players. However he was nowhere near as bad as you are making out.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:38 - Aug 20 with 2273 viewsTalkingSutty

Good post. I'm in the same boat as you, i genuinely don't know why quite a few fans are touting Jim as the new manager. I can't honestly think of a reason apart from the fact that he acknowledges the fans at the end of each game and has made himself a favourite because of it. If he has led by example on the pitch and been the heartbeat of the team then yes i could understand it a bit but he hasn't. I'm waiting for somebody to put up a explanation why they would be happy to see him given the job at such a crucial time in the clubs history and i'm open to changing my mind also because it would save the club a fortune. If he starts winning games then give him the job, i could understand that.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2022 12:43]
Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:39 - Aug 20 with 2270 viewsgolfaduffy

Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:30 - Aug 20 by fourfourtwo

“Every time McNulty he has made several really bad errors?”

That’s somewhat of a sweeping generalised statement. I seem to remember McNulty having many very good games for us when we competed well in League One. Yes he occasionally dropped clangers, as did many other players. However he was nowhere near as bad as you are making out.

All about opinions, and mine is that he has made clangers every time I've seen him.
No doubt he plays with 100% effort.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:49 - Aug 20 with 2201 viewsfourfourtwo

Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:39 - Aug 20 by golfaduffy

All about opinions, and mine is that he has made clangers every time I've seen him.

McNulty played 90 minutes in the 2-2 draw with Spurs where I can’t recall him dropping any clangers & I believe all 46 league games in League One the season we finished 10th.

Sort of backs up the point he’s nowhere near as bad or has been as people would like to make out.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:50 - Aug 20 with 2199 viewsNafelad

Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:39 - Aug 20 by golfaduffy

So who do you suggest could have been interim manager - Hendo, Ellis, Jack Northover?

Topcat

Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:52 - Aug 20 with 2196 viewstony_roch975

As others have posted this is unfair - McNulty lacked pace and when used as a left side CB in a back 3 he has been vulnerable but equally in the middle he has had many solid performances (including last season); equally he's always been vocal and organising the team when he plays - sadly not utilised in a captaincy role but an asset in a potential manager. True the squad is still weak and he may well fail but he deserves respect for his efforts for the Club over many years and his loyalty.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Swindon Match Thread.. on 13:09 - Aug 20 with 2113 viewsCedar_Room

Swindon Match Thread.. on 12:52 - Aug 20 by tony_roch975

As others have posted this is unfair - McNulty lacked pace and when used as a left side CB in a back 3 he has been vulnerable but equally in the middle he has had many solid performances (including last season); equally he's always been vocal and organising the team when he plays - sadly not utilised in a captaincy role but an asset in a potential manager. True the squad is still weak and he may well fail but he deserves respect for his efforts for the Club over many years and his loyalty.

He was an absolute liability for at least the past 2 seasons. His organisational skills didn’t translate into much when we were relegated and then finished 18th in L2. How many goals were conceded with him in the team? Someone will know. Now I’m not saying all of this was his fault - but for as much as he might have played in some of our more successful spells he was also a key figure in some of our most terrible. Which again comes back to my point of why is this guy considered such a great fit as our manager? I don’t think anyone could say McNulty was a standout performer in the past few seasons when we’ve been pretty terrible. Is that just because he was getting on? Maybe. But unlike say Keith Hill who I always rated as a player - McNulty just isn’t someone I’ve really got onboard with. I wish him all the best and hope he does indeed prove me wrong but count me amongst the several people on this board also saying they are skeptical about his appointment.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 13:13 - Aug 20 with 2083 viewsMass_Debater

Swindon Match Thread.. on 13:09 - Aug 20 by Cedar_Room

He was an absolute liability for at least the past 2 seasons. His organisational skills didn’t translate into much when we were relegated and then finished 18th in L2. How many goals were conceded with him in the team? Someone will know. Now I’m not saying all of this was his fault - but for as much as he might have played in some of our more successful spells he was also a key figure in some of our most terrible. Which again comes back to my point of why is this guy considered such a great fit as our manager? I don’t think anyone could say McNulty was a standout performer in the past few seasons when we’ve been pretty terrible. Is that just because he was getting on? Maybe. But unlike say Keith Hill who I always rated as a player - McNulty just isn’t someone I’ve really got onboard with. I wish him all the best and hope he does indeed prove me wrong but count me amongst the several people on this board also saying they are skeptical about his appointment.

Has anyone considered he might not even want to be manager?
Swindon Match Thread.. on 13:19 - Aug 20 with 2052 viewsmikehunt

Well I’ve always liked him. Initially, I used to think Oh heck, when he had to come on as sub. But he turned out, invariably, to be quite a solid defender. He never went missing and kept it simple.
I would hope he knows the basics - keep a clean sheet and score a goal. How hard can it be? 😀
In Jim we trust.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Swindon Match Thread.. on 13:24 - Aug 20 with 2021 viewsboromat

Swindon Match Thread.. on 13:09 - Aug 20 by Cedar_Room

He's only played 19 league games over the past 2 seasons as he's been moved more into a coaching role. I'm not sure how such a bit part player could be seen as such a liability. He's filled in where required and done a job. From my memory of last season he was pretty good in his 5 league appearances. But at 36/37 he's obviously not the player he was.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2022 13:28]

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Swindon Match Thread.. on 13:38 - Aug 20 with 1928 viewsD_Alien

Swindon Match Thread.. on 13:13 - Aug 20 by Mass_Debater

Has anyone considered he might not even want to be manager?

Alluded to this when people were questioning why there was a delay in announcing who'd be overseeing the team at Swindon, and banging on about "poor communication"

I don't think it's necessarily been as straightforward as some might think. Also, it's been suggested he would've been 'sounded out' prior to RS being dismissed... hmm... so you have a chat with someone who's been working closely with the manager in the hope rather than the knowledge it won't get back to him??

No aspersions being cast upon anyone here, but if some of the new lads had a loyalty to RS, how would they view Big Jim if he'd already been positioning himself for the role? A lot more nuanced than meets the eye, i'd say

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Swindon Match Thread.. on 13:38 - Aug 20 with 1932 viewsgolfaduffy

Swindon Match Thread.. on 13:24 - Aug 20 by boromat

He's only played 19 league games over the past 2 seasons as he's been moved more into a coaching role. I'm not sure how such a bit part player could be seen as such a liability. He's filled in where required and done a job. From my memory of last season he was pretty good in his 5 league appearances. But at 36/37 he's obviously not the player he was.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2022 13:28]

The Spurs game was 4 and a half years ago, and i seem to remember them missing loads of chances through Son and LLorente before Jim left Lucas Moura in loads of space to equalise for them. I know someoneelse posted about this game not you)

Last season Jim started the first game against Harrogate and gave a masterclass in how not to defend. He was rightly subbed and as been out of the team more of less ever since apart from injury crisis and sub appearances.

He as always given his all, its just that he really hasn't been very good for a couple of seasons.

Don't understand why people can't accept that fact. Of course I back him as our stopgap manager like I would back anyone.

Who wuld I have appointed? Pete Wild. I would have done it last season and not waited so long.
Swindon Match Thread.. on 14:05 - Aug 20 with 1800 viewsSuddenLad

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024