Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BJ Interview 23:01 - Aug 28 with 4152 viewsmikehunt

Another great interview with Jimmy. Says everything we all felt. Finally, a manager who sees the same things the fans do!

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

BJ Interview on 08:47 - Aug 29 with 3956 viewsDaleDamo

Brilliant - Literally as it was.
BJ Interview on 10:43 - Aug 29 with 3769 viewsDareToCalvin

Love his interviews, he just completely gets it and I really hope he does well for us. The early signs are promising; just need to become more ruthless and see games off that we are dominating.
BJ Interview on 11:27 - Aug 29 with 3675 viewsDaleiLama

Against a back-drop of the shit-show he inherited - a disengaged fanbase, a largely disenchanted squad and a shoestring budget - the turn around in squad composition, culture, attitude, team spirit and morale. not to mention the re-connection with the fans in such a short space of time, is bordering on miraculous. I admit to having reservations about his appointment. I don't anymore. There will no doubt be some "career" bad times for him to cope with in the future, and we have no idea where his ceiling is yet, but what he has done is take the concerns about RAFC away from on-field matters, at least for now. Remarkable.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

BJ Interview on 13:16 - Aug 29 with 3520 viewsjonahwhereru

There will be some that BJ will never turn around on the belief that you need to be a quality player to have a clue about management and others that will hold the BBM connection against him. So it will never be an easy ride for him as one bad result will see the anti brigade back on here with vengeance.
Me I said on balance I preferred the job went to someone else, but I never doubted he would get the team playing for him, nor that he would represent the club well. However he does seem to be getting most team decisions right, refreshing. Mentioned on match thread about Sinclair taking on penalty duties as an instance. Long may the honeymoon with the fans last and BJ will have my support when the doubters have the opportunity to clear their throats.
BJ Interview on 13:32 - Aug 29 with 3464 viewsD_Alien

BJ Interview on 13:16 - Aug 29 by jonahwhereru

There will be some that BJ will never turn around on the belief that you need to be a quality player to have a clue about management and others that will hold the BBM connection against him. So it will never be an easy ride for him as one bad result will see the anti brigade back on here with vengeance.
Me I said on balance I preferred the job went to someone else, but I never doubted he would get the team playing for him, nor that he would represent the club well. However he does seem to be getting most team decisions right, refreshing. Mentioned on match thread about Sinclair taking on penalty duties as an instance. Long may the honeymoon with the fans last and BJ will have my support when the doubters have the opportunity to clear their throats.

Who thinks BJ won't make a good manager because he wasn't a quality player? He played two seasons in the Championship for Barnsley, and won Player of the Year from his fellow team-mates

Who did he play under? KH, of course, so another case in point. KH was as bang average a CB as you'd get in the lower divisions, but look what he did at Dale

If anyone's talking about BJ's managerial prospects for that reason, they're talking shite

Wasn't enamoured with his appointment, but it's a case of performances and results: first, last and always
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 13:33]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

BJ Interview on 15:31 - Aug 29 with 3302 viewsjonahwhereru

BJ Interview on 13:32 - Aug 29 by D_Alien

Who thinks BJ won't make a good manager because he wasn't a quality player? He played two seasons in the Championship for Barnsley, and won Player of the Year from his fellow team-mates

Who did he play under? KH, of course, so another case in point. KH was as bang average a CB as you'd get in the lower divisions, but look what he did at Dale

If anyone's talking about BJ's managerial prospects for that reason, they're talking shite

Wasn't enamoured with his appointment, but it's a case of performances and results: first, last and always
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 13:33]

Couldn’t agree more the concept that a player you think is rubbish could never make a manager has been dispelled so many time as shite, but there are those that will reach for the correlation. Arsene Wenger as just one instance.
UTD
BJ Interview on 17:06 - Aug 29 with 3113 viewsYorkshire_Dale

BJ Interview on 15:31 - Aug 29 by jonahwhereru

Couldn’t agree more the concept that a player you think is rubbish could never make a manager has been dispelled so many time as shite, but there are those that will reach for the correlation. Arsene Wenger as just one instance.
UTD

........and SoftLad at Accy.
BJ Interview on 17:13 - Aug 29 with 3104 viewsEllDale

The only worry I have about this guy now is that the football world will be starting to notice the splendid work he’s done over the last four months.
Every time a managerial vacancy comes up I’m starting to wince in a similar way to which we were apprehensive about Hilly leaving a few years ago!
For example it only takes Flat Cap Fred to get fed up with Unsworth and there would be a vacancy only down the road!
Login to get fewer ads

BJ Interview on 17:18 - Aug 29 with 3076 viewskel

BJ Interview on 17:13 - Aug 29 by EllDale

The only worry I have about this guy now is that the football world will be starting to notice the splendid work he’s done over the last four months.
Every time a managerial vacancy comes up I’m starting to wince in a similar way to which we were apprehensive about Hilly leaving a few years ago!
For example it only takes Flat Cap Fred to get fed up with Unsworth and there would be a vacancy only down the road!

He’s not a big enough name for the massive biffos so I wouldn’t worry about that. Anyway, one if their fans on Twitter wants Chris Wilder ffs.

It’s like the buckets all over again.
BJ Interview on 17:40 - Aug 29 with 3017 viewsfrenzied

BJ Interview on 15:31 - Aug 29 by jonahwhereru

UTD

Very few great players have made great managers.

Ferguson,Shankly ,Paisley all great managers but basically ordinary players.

Charlton,Keane,Souness,Robson, all great players but didn't reach the dizzy heights of those above.

Im sure theres plenty of others.

Clough was a great player in his day and went onto success with Derby and Forest as manager.

Its said of great managers that they all knew how to motivate players and say the right thing at the right time...masters of the mind games?
BJ Interview on 17:52 - Aug 29 with 2982 viewsTVOS1907

BJ Interview on 17:06 - Aug 29 by Yorkshire_Dale

........and SoftLad at Accy.

John Coleman was an excellent striker with a very prolific scoring record at the level he played at and initially managed at for many years.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 17:59]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

BJ Interview on 18:00 - Aug 29 with 2945 viewsTalkingSutty

BJ Interview on 17:13 - Aug 29 by EllDale

It's too early yet for that, we're only six games in and form can dip, tactics can change dependent on a run of results. We could be in a relegation place in a couple of months time, god forbid. The biggest problem Jim will have is the size of the squad once injuries and suspensions start kicking in. He could also lose one or two players to other clubs. If we can continue to play in the same manner with a emphasis on scoring goals and secure a top half finish then your worries might come to fruition but at the moment his managerial career is still in first gear. Let's not forget that MRKT are also responsible for recruitment, Jim explained that himself a couple of weeks ago. I don't see anybody coming in for McNulty this season to be honest irrespective of how well we do. He's a rookie manager like Unsworth, Oldham won't be interested. I'm seeing a lot of similarities with the Keith Hill era first time around when it comes to how Jim has approached his appointment, adopting a certain style of play, the fitness levels are obviously higher than we've seen for a long time and the emphasis is as much on the character of the players as it is on their ability levels. The team ethic and bonding is the key ingredients. It's almost a blueprint.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 18:32]
BJ Interview on 18:32 - Aug 29 with 2839 views442Dale

BJ Interview on 18:00 - Aug 29 by TalkingSutty

It's too early yet for that, we're only six games in and form can dip, tactics can change dependent on a run of results. We could be in a relegation place in a couple of months time, god forbid. The biggest problem Jim will have is the size of the squad once injuries and suspensions start kicking in. He could also lose one or two players to other clubs. If we can continue to play in the same manner with a emphasis on scoring goals and secure a top half finish then your worries might come to fruition but at the moment his managerial career is still in first gear. Let's not forget that MRKT are also responsible for recruitment, Jim explained that himself a couple of weeks ago. I don't see anybody coming in for McNulty this season to be honest irrespective of how well we do. He's a rookie manager like Unsworth, Oldham won't be interested. I'm seeing a lot of similarities with the Keith Hill era first time around when it comes to how Jim has approached his appointment, adopting a certain style of play, the fitness levels are obviously higher than we've seen for a long time and the emphasis is as much on the character of the players as it is on their ability levels. The team ethic and bonding is the key ingredients. It's almost a blueprint.

One thing that’s really impressed so far has been the flexibility and creativeness to deal with those who have been missing or the need to change our set-up. We’ve gone from being a 4-4-2 with two proper widemen in Sinclair and Afuye to a hybrid version with Gilmour on the right put tucking into the middle when he sees fit. It’s a 4-4-2/4-3-3 at the same time.

The use of Oduroh has been interesting too, think there’s a half decent player there as he seems to like to get stuck in. Even yesterday although I didn’t see it, it seems like Clayton’s absence was dealt with by moving Keohane up and Gilmour across (is that right?) and then there was Woking when we played a proper 4-3-3 with one central striker.

Players appear adaptable and that’s something McNulty wanted and to achieve the results we have is proof that he’s managed to create that sort of squad so far. I’m actually liking the fact we are working with a smaller pool of players and having to find solutions, rather that than having too much choice.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

BJ Interview on 18:45 - Aug 29 with 2800 viewsTalkingSutty

BJ Interview on 18:32 - Aug 29 by 442Dale

One thing that’s really impressed so far has been the flexibility and creativeness to deal with those who have been missing or the need to change our set-up. We’ve gone from being a 4-4-2 with two proper widemen in Sinclair and Afuye to a hybrid version with Gilmour on the right put tucking into the middle when he sees fit. It’s a 4-4-2/4-3-3 at the same time.

The use of Oduroh has been interesting too, think there’s a half decent player there as he seems to like to get stuck in. Even yesterday although I didn’t see it, it seems like Clayton’s absence was dealt with by moving Keohane up and Gilmour across (is that right?) and then there was Woking when we played a proper 4-3-3 with one central striker.

Players appear adaptable and that’s something McNulty wanted and to achieve the results we have is proof that he’s managed to create that sort of squad so far. I’m actually liking the fact we are working with a smaller pool of players and having to find solutions, rather that than having too much choice.

Not sure about the formation yesterday, it's not something that i really look at. What i can say is that Gilmour and East yet again ran the midfield, both are excellent signings. Keohane was also a standout performer. That midfield alongside Clayton is a very good one at this level.
BJ Interview on 19:43 - Aug 29 with 2651 views442Dale

BJ Interview on 18:45 - Aug 29 by TalkingSutty

Not sure about the formation yesterday, it's not something that i really look at. What i can say is that Gilmour and East yet again ran the midfield, both are excellent signings. Keohane was also a standout performer. That midfield alongside Clayton is a very good one at this level.

The midfield has been great to watch so far, East especially. It’s the best one we’ve had in a long time.

One of the biggest problems in the horizon is linked to the changes that have seen an increase in bookings. Presuming it’s still 5 and then a ban, John has 3 already and Oduroh and Mitchell on 2.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

BJ Interview on 19:56 - Aug 29 with 2617 viewsEllDale

I believe that Louie Moulden has also already racked up two yellow cards as has Adam Clayton?
And does anyone have a view on Oduroh’s booking yesterday in comparison with an earlier incident concerning SAJ.
The referee didn’t even give a free kick and yet I was reconciled to the fact that he had fouled the York player. Even the players stopped waiting for the whistle.
If a free kick had been awarded the ref might also have been forced into showing a yellow or even a red card.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 20:00]
BJ Interview on 20:17 - Aug 29 with 2559 viewsNorthernDale

I thought it was a good challenge and he took the ball, their player did help him by rolling around, but the referee was poor. I lost count the number of bookings, he was as bad for us, as he was with York. So Oduroh yellow card was totally unjustified, as was Moulden's, who was booked for not taking a goal kick quickly enough, most of the yellow cards from the York game, would not be given last year.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 20:18]
BJ Interview on 21:55 - Aug 29 with 2374 viewsTVOS1907

BJ Interview on 19:56 - Aug 29 by EllDale

I believe that Louie Moulden has also already racked up two yellow cards as has Adam Clayton?
And does anyone have a view on Oduroh’s booking yesterday in comparison with an earlier incident concerning SAJ.
The referee didn’t even give a free kick and yet I was reconciled to the fact that he had fouled the York player. Even the players stopped waiting for the whistle.
If a free kick had been awarded the ref might also have been forced into showing a yellow or even a red card.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 20:00]

Moulden is on one yellow card.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

BJ Interview on 23:12 - Aug 29 with 2216 views49thseason

BJ Interview on 18:00 - Aug 29 by TalkingSutty

Interesting comparison to the early KH era, I was thinking yesterday that we are footballing teams to death, moving the ball across the pitch time and time again forces defences to do more running and moving than they normally come across and eventually they either get caught out of position or get frustrated and start lashing out...I think the York defence ended up with 4 Yellows and a red yesterday...
BJ Interview on 00:51 - Aug 30 with 2150 viewsdingdangblue

BJ Interview on 20:17 - Aug 29 by NorthernDale

I thought it was a good challenge and he took the ball, their player did help him by rolling around, but the referee was poor. I lost count the number of bookings, he was as bad for us, as he was with York. So Oduroh yellow card was totally unjustified, as was Moulden's, who was booked for not taking a goal kick quickly enough, most of the yellow cards from the York game, would not be given last year.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 20:18]

Bookings now for goalkeepers is becoming a farce. Not just Moulden's on Monday but up and down the leagues. I bet Moulden took no longer with that kick than any other in the match but because we were 2-1 up and he's not sprinting to get the ball and kick it as fast as possible its deemed time wasting!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

BJ Interview on 06:56 - Aug 30 with 2032 viewsTalkingSutty

BJ Interview on 23:12 - Aug 29 by 49thseason

Interesting comparison to the early KH era, I was thinking yesterday that we are footballing teams to death, moving the ball across the pitch time and time again forces defences to do more running and moving than they normally come across and eventually they either get caught out of position or get frustrated and start lashing out...I think the York defence ended up with 4 Yellows and a red yesterday...

Yes, it's two touch football at its best and when you have players who are comfortable on the ball and are always showing for it then it's difficult to play against. It's noticeable how wide we make the pitch, Sinclair and Keoghane were pinned on both touchlines against York and that's always the out ball. It will be interesting to see how the new lad from Chesterfield does and the inclusion of Rodney in the team, if they improve us which I think they will, then we will be a handful for any team in this league. You can tell that there has been a lot of work on the training ground to adapt to this style and the players enjoy it, we are no longer walking with the ball and constantly passing it around at the back for the sake of it. We have a good balance to the team now, let's hope the off field problems can be resolved soon and the manager can be properly supported going forward.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2023 7:03]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024