Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Elton John and t’Dale 10:31 - Nov 25 with 2992 viewsmikehunt

There is an interview with Sir Elton on the BBC Sport site. He mentions that himself and Graham Taylor got locked in at Rochdale. No further details. Anyone know what that was about?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Elton John and t’Dale on 13:09 - Nov 25 with 2791 viewsSuddenLad

I remember seeing him and speaking to him at the time. It was the same day that the Sun newspaper broke the story that he was gay and there was huge interest from the usual news outlets. I seem to remember he was effectively 'shielded' from the waiting reporters, and was 'out of view' but no idea of the length of time involved.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Elton John and t’Dale on 18:07 - Nov 25 with 2353 viewsEllDale

I remember seeing a documentary on him a few years ago when he reached a landmark birthday.
He mentioned that the Watford game after he came out “was at Rochdale of all places” and rolled his eyes.
Didn’t he once come to a Dale versus Watford match via helicopter and land in Denehurst Park?
Elton John and t’Dale on 19:39 - Nov 25 with 2201 viewspioneer

Elton John and t’Dale on 18:07 - Nov 25 by EllDale

I remember seeing a documentary on him a few years ago when he reached a landmark birthday.
He mentioned that the Watford game after he came out “was at Rochdale of all places” and rolled his eyes.
Didn’t he once come to a Dale versus Watford match via helicopter and land in Denehurst Park?

We playd them in division 4 between 1975 and 1978. All three home games were early in the season. It was the 1976-77 game that immediately followed his interview about being bisexual. We won that game 3-1. The following season he had appointed Graham Taylor as manager so if this happened at a Dale v Watford game it must have been 77-78. Watford won 3-2 and I seem to remember Graham Taylor moaning about the pitch, the referee and no doubt the half time oranges. Whenever he came to Spotland as manager of Lincoln he was the same.

Despite all the publicity about him the attendance at each game was less than 2000.
Elton John and t’Dale on 22:43 - Nov 25 with 2013 viewsHopwoodblue

Elton John and t’Dale on 19:39 - Nov 25 by pioneer

We playd them in division 4 between 1975 and 1978. All three home games were early in the season. It was the 1976-77 game that immediately followed his interview about being bisexual. We won that game 3-1. The following season he had appointed Graham Taylor as manager so if this happened at a Dale v Watford game it must have been 77-78. Watford won 3-2 and I seem to remember Graham Taylor moaning about the pitch, the referee and no doubt the half time oranges. Whenever he came to Spotland as manager of Lincoln he was the same.

Despite all the publicity about him the attendance at each game was less than 2000.

I’m sure Graham Taylor once said one of his daughters was a Rochdale fan?
Or have I just dreamt it 🤣

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Elton John and t’Dale on 23:29 - Nov 25 with 1950 viewsJames1980

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0gtd5jz

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Elton John and t’Dale on 12:20 - Nov 26 with 1607 viewsTVOS1907

Elton John and t’Dale on 22:43 - Nov 25 by Hopwoodblue

I’m sure Graham Taylor once said one of his daughters was a Rochdale fan?
Or have I just dreamt it 🤣

No, I think he mentioned it in the Watford v Dale programme for the Littlewoods Cup second round, first leg meeting at Vicarage Road in 1986/87.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Elton John and t’Dale on 13:00 - Nov 26 with 1557 viewsEllDale

Elton John and t’Dale on 19:39 - Nov 25 by pioneer

I remember that 3-1 victory. It was pretty early in the season and Steve Melledew, newly returned to Spotland, scored the the third goal at which point Elton, sitting in the directors’ box, got a bit of stick from the Dale fans in the paddock.
It wasn’t homophobic but football related.
We hadn’t had a bad start to the season though and had only lost one league game I think up until then.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024