Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
100 years ago 20:43 - Jan 18 with 2371 viewspioneer

Diddy Dave reminded me that its 100 years since finishing one point away from promotion to the second tier and probably our best ever season.
100 years ago tomorrow we extended our club record unbeaten run in the league to 20 games with a 1-0 win over Ashington. Over those 20 games our record was won 13 drew 7 for 29 against 8 and included a 7 game winning run. The run came to an end with a 1-0 defeat at Ashington the following week.

Many club records were set that season including winning 17 home games and remaining unbeaten at home conceding only 8 goals at home and 26 goals in total. Div 3N was a 42 game season until after WW2

We finished one point behind champions wolves having drawn both games against wolves 0-0.with over 16000 at spotland for the home game.

with two games to go we were level on points with wolves with both teams having to play at Tranmere. We lost at Tranmere 2-1 while Wolves got a draw there.

It was a golden era for the club after finishing so close to promotion we followed that up with finishing positions of 6, 3, and runners up again with Bert Whitehurst scoring 14, 9, 18, 44, 32 goals before leaving for Liverpool under manager Jack Peart who left for Bradford City in 1930 which was followed by a desperate decade in the 1930s.

Ill be raising a glass to the boys of 1924 this weekend.
100 years ago on 01:34 - Jan 19 with 2191 viewsCarbonDale

Ashington? Who are they?
100 years ago on 09:43 - Jan 19 with 2047 viewsEllDale

The cynic in me suggests that after the Tranmere game one or two know it all blokes in pubs would be saying “they wanted to lose that one. They can’t afford to go up” or words to that effect.
[Post edited 19 Jan 9:46]
100 years ago on 09:54 - Jan 19 with 2018 viewsD_Alien

100 years ago on 09:43 - Jan 19 by EllDale

The cynic in me suggests that after the Tranmere game one or two know it all blokes in pubs would be saying “they wanted to lose that one. They can’t afford to go up” or words to that effect.
[Post edited 19 Jan 9:46]

According to my father (who tbf was 9 at the time) the Chairman himself was heard saying "we can't afford to go up"

Make of that what you will
[Post edited 19 Jan 9:57]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

100 years ago on 22:08 - Jan 19 with 1739 viewspioneer

100 years ago on 09:54 - Jan 19 by D_Alien

According to my father (who tbf was 9 at the time) the Chairman himself was heard saying "we can't afford to go up"

Make of that what you will
[Post edited 19 Jan 9:57]

But the Tranmere game was our penultimate game.

We went into the final game at home to Accy needing a win to have a chance of going up. Unlikely we would have won that game, as we did, if the plan was to avoid promotion.

Also in the days of maximum wage there was little difference in the costs of running a club in div 2 and div 3. The biggest difference was div 3 was regionalised so travel costs would be higher...but it also meant you were guaranteed a third round cup game.

I expect these rumours occurred, but sceptical about the message.
100 years ago on 22:33 - Jan 19 with 1707 viewsD_Alien

100 years ago on 22:08 - Jan 19 by pioneer

But the Tranmere game was our penultimate game.

We went into the final game at home to Accy needing a win to have a chance of going up. Unlikely we would have won that game, as we did, if the plan was to avoid promotion.

Also in the days of maximum wage there was little difference in the costs of running a club in div 2 and div 3. The biggest difference was div 3 was regionalised so travel costs would be higher...but it also meant you were guaranteed a third round cup game.

I expect these rumours occurred, but sceptical about the message.

I wouldn't disagree

He also said, c.1974 "they'll be building houses on Spotland before the end of the decade"

It was probably around about the time i stopped taking too much notice of what he said...

100 years ago on 16:22 - Jan 24 with 1247 viewsDaleView

100 years ago on 01:34 - Jan 19 by CarbonDale

Ashington? Who are they?

That's where Sir Bobby Charlton (bless his soul) was born, I think.
100 years ago on 16:58 - Jan 24 with 1210 viewsD_Alien

100 years ago on 16:22 - Jan 24 by DaleView

That's where Sir Bobby Charlton (bless his soul) was born, I think.

Not just the Charlton brothers, but our very own Stan Milburn who was, of course, part of another famous footballing dynasty

Remarkable that so many talented footballers born in the same pit village

100 years ago on 15:37 - Jan 25 with 1011 viewsDorkingDale

100 years ago on 16:58 - Jan 24 by D_Alien

Not just the Charlton brothers, but our very own Stan Milburn who was, of course, part of another famous footballing dynasty

Remarkable that so many talented footballers born in the same pit village

Stan was an uncle of the Charlton brothers...all from one extended family.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024