Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. 20:42 - Apr 24 with 114181 viewsDale57

What things and places have a special place in your Rochdale childhood.........
Some of mine are
Brights nursery on whitwoth rd
Heybrook school
Howarth cross
Football and sports against other schools around Rochdale
Rochdale baths
ABC cinema
Holingworth lake
Fair on cattle market (now cop shop)
Ashy valley flats
Loads more.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:31 - May 12 with 2884 viewssamba1983

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:32 - Apr 25 by Dale57

Ha ha Harry Bonnet,now theres a name from the past.Was you there when they blew the viaduct up and it crashed into the barbers,lol

Please give me some insight into Harry Bonnet and who he was. My dad, who was brought up on Turf Hill during the 50s and early 60s, has mentioned this name a few times over the years. He has also spoken about some fella called Totti Lemon. My brothers and I have always believed that he made these people up.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:47 - May 13 with 2566 viewsseasidedale

Playing football on cronkeshaw common (10 half time 20 up)
Falinge park
Rochdale festival of sport (when did that stop)
Volunteering around the ground at the football club
Syke pond
Fieldhouse cricket ct
Lu
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 13:14 - May 13 with 2553 viewsEllDale

I was so mesmerised by the reappearance of this thread that I read it again from start to finish last night!
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:14 - May 13 with 2439 views49thseason

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:54 - Nov 15 by mingthemerciless

Yep, I remember him well. I think he also went to the Cricket when it was down at Dane St. He probably went to more Dale/Hornets games than anybody I know. He went to Hornets away games also, don't know about the Dale away games.

Since there isnt much elst to talk about, it might as well continue....Jimmy Cotton....

I never knew him, as anything other than "Little Jimmy", but he used to always be at Dane Street when I played there and usually at the away games too, I think he usually managed to cadge a lift back to Rochdale from Dave Stevenson and Wilson Hartley.
I think he walked it to Walsden on at least one occasion. Funny little bloke but harmless I guess.
[Post edited 13 May 17:16]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:47 - May 13 with 2405 viewsSuddenLad

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:14 - May 13 by 49thseason

Since there isnt much elst to talk about, it might as well continue....Jimmy Cotton....

I never knew him, as anything other than "Little Jimmy", but he used to always be at Dane Street when I played there and usually at the away games too, I think he usually managed to cadge a lift back to Rochdale from Dave Stevenson and Wilson Hartley.
I think he walked it to Walsden on at least one occasion. Funny little bloke but harmless I guess.
[Post edited 13 May 17:16]

Great character was Jimmy. Always chatting to himself and to anyone who would engage with him. Also a regular attendee at the cinema where he would give a running commentary to all those sat around him - much to their annoyance.

A harmless, friendly soul and staunch supporter of every sports team in town. Dane Street, Athletic Ground sand Spotland were all well trodden routes for Jimmy. Happy days.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:45 - May 13 with 2318 viewsEllDale

The CLL was a much more condensed league in those days and you could get to most grounds on the bus although the Oldham clubs could be a problem.
When I was at junior school we used to live next to Jack Hunter in Balderstone and he used to bowl at us in the street sometimes.
There were some great pros in the CLL around that time like Sir Frank Worrell.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:20 - May 13 with 2260 viewsseasidedale

I went to Broadfield left in 1970 to go to green hill. Think you are right it closed in 71, rememember teachers there including mr corkhill, mr hutt mr butterworth (woodwork & engineering). The RE teacher mr Moxley and of course Sid brown p, who I found out many years latter was a code breaker in the w@r working with Alan Turley
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:25 - May 13 with 2259 viewspioneer

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:47 - May 13 by SuddenLad

Great character was Jimmy. Always chatting to himself and to anyone who would engage with him. Also a regular attendee at the cinema where he would give a running commentary to all those sat around him - much to their annoyance.

A harmless, friendly soul and staunch supporter of every sports team in town. Dane Street, Athletic Ground sand Spotland were all well trodden routes for Jimmy. Happy days.

I have never known anyone who could recite fixture lists like Jimmy. You didnt need WWW. or a programme to find out when and where Dale were plaiying Halifax or Hornets were playing ‘goosebry’ as he called them. Also had fares and departure times for Ellen Smiths coaches off pat.

My old man worked with him at Turners. Lovely fella and always great with the kids.
Login to get fewer ads

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:38 - May 13 with 2248 viewsD_Alien

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:20 - May 13 by seasidedale

I went to Broadfield left in 1970 to go to green hill. Think you are right it closed in 71, rememember teachers there including mr corkhill, mr hutt mr butterworth (woodwork & engineering). The RE teacher mr Moxley and of course Sid brown p, who I found out many years latter was a code breaker in the w@r working with Alan Turley

Turing?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:49 - May 13 with 2170 viewsSuddenLad

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:20 - May 13 by seasidedale

Sid Brown lived in Pearl Street behind the stand. He was a genius. He taught me maths at Broadfield school, where everyone in the class was given a latin nickname. An eccentric, but bloody hell, he was as sharp as a pin. Wore the same brown pinstripe suit all his career. Regularly had newspaper bits stuck to his face, where he'd cut himself shaving. Great bloke.

As for Corkhill. Chemistry teacher - A thorough tw@t. Sholto Moxley was at Broadfield. Once caught a mouse by hand and squeezed the life out of it in front of the class. A disturbed man, who I am told took his own life many years ago.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:29 - May 13 with 2120 viewsdownunder

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:45 - May 13 by EllDale

The CLL was a much more condensed league in those days and you could get to most grounds on the bus although the Oldham clubs could be a problem.
When I was at junior school we used to live next to Jack Hunter in Balderstone and he used to bowl at us in the street sometimes.
There were some great pros in the CLL around that time like Sir Frank Worrell.

I played in the same colts team as Littleborough stalwart Chris Dearden (Noddy), but at Rochdalians RUFC. He is still playing cricket, both with 'Boro, and England seniors. There was an excellent photo in the Observer of Noddy and Joel Garner crossing in midwicket...Garner is very tall, Noddy isn't.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:20 - May 13 with 2080 viewsEllDale

That was a great Littleborough team that Chris and Gar Hunter played in.
Always a top pro opening the bowling and lads like Miskella and Hernon.
I had a short spell at Milnrow and those derby matches were something else.
Didn’t Chris’s Mum have the Ox and Plough at Dearnley?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:25 - May 14 with 1887 views49thseason

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:29 - May 13 by downunder

I played in the same colts team as Littleborough stalwart Chris Dearden (Noddy), but at Rochdalians RUFC. He is still playing cricket, both with 'Boro, and England seniors. There was an excellent photo in the Observer of Noddy and Joel Garner crossing in midwicket...Garner is very tall, Noddy isn't.

I played against Garner at Dane Street in 1976, the hot summer! The wickets were bone hard , ideal for his bounce and pace.. on the Wednesday night beforemthe game, we had a nets practice and every conversation revolved around Garner... The Captain, Bernard Burke, and the committee had a cunning plan which they would not discuss.. I arrived at the ground on the Saturday to find a completely saturated pitch! The "plan" had involved Rochdale Fire Brigade pumping water from the River Roch onto the Dane Street pitch for most of Thursday and Friday.. Pudding would have been an understatement. Garner was charging in and his huge feet sounded like a small child playing in a puddle.. he did take a few wickets but largely because of sheer pace than any movement or bounce. Ultimately I was called on to bat out the final over.. I was number 11 for a reason, but my claim to fame is that I faced the full over and ended not out .. for none! Job done points shared, noone seriously injured.. Littleborough rather less than amused!
I only wish I had recorded all the stories that the older players used to tell, it would be a best seller...
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:38 - May 14 with 1864 viewsEllDale

I never played against Garner but was clean bowled for a golden duck by Ezra Moseley….
The fastest I faced was Curtley Ambrose at Heywood.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:42 - May 14 with 1822 viewsdiver

Gym’fix it at water street.coach named “shirt” his favourite saying was” 20 if they are easy 10 if they are hard” wnen doing repetitive exercises
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:55 - May 14 with 1812 viewsjudd

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:31 - May 12 by samba1983

Please give me some insight into Harry Bonnet and who he was. My dad, who was brought up on Turf Hill during the 50s and early 60s, has mentioned this name a few times over the years. He has also spoken about some fella called Totti Lemon. My brothers and I have always believed that he made these people up.

Always thought the name was Tappy Lemon.

Talking of Turf Hill, did you know the Turf Hill Terror? Although possibly more 70's / 80's.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:49 - May 14 with 1674 viewsTVOS1907

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:25 - May 14 by 49thseason

I played against Garner at Dane Street in 1976, the hot summer! The wickets were bone hard , ideal for his bounce and pace.. on the Wednesday night beforemthe game, we had a nets practice and every conversation revolved around Garner... The Captain, Bernard Burke, and the committee had a cunning plan which they would not discuss.. I arrived at the ground on the Saturday to find a completely saturated pitch! The "plan" had involved Rochdale Fire Brigade pumping water from the River Roch onto the Dane Street pitch for most of Thursday and Friday.. Pudding would have been an understatement. Garner was charging in and his huge feet sounded like a small child playing in a puddle.. he did take a few wickets but largely because of sheer pace than any movement or bounce. Ultimately I was called on to bat out the final over.. I was number 11 for a reason, but my claim to fame is that I faced the full over and ended not out .. for none! Job done points shared, noone seriously injured.. Littleborough rather less than amused!
I only wish I had recorded all the stories that the older players used to tell, it would be a best seller...

How were the points shared?

If Rochdale didn't get the required total, but weren't bowled out, Littleborough would have recorded a 'limited win', which was worth three points, whereas Rochdale would have got no points.

Or did something else happen?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 08:44 - May 15 with 1491 views49thseason

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:49 - May 14 by TVOS1907

How were the points shared?

If Rochdale didn't get the required total, but weren't bowled out, Littleborough would have recorded a 'limited win', which was worth three points, whereas Rochdale would have got no points.

Or did something else happen?

I really have no idea it was nearly 50 years ago .... I have no idea when winning draws and all that stuff was introduced in the CLL especially as Rochdale didnt win much in those days. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:51 - May 15 with 1228 viewsWirralDale

I think summer 1972 was the last term Brookfield was open as the Meanwood Primary School annexe (Junior 3?). I was there. Great times - remember the head Mr Lees visiting every so often. He was a tall fella! Favourite school dinner was cheese & onion pie on a Friday - good times.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:35 - May 15 with 1148 viewsmikehunt

Not sure if these have been mentioned but here goes:
Watching Rochdale Amateur Operatic Society perform Gibert &Sullivan at the Hippodrome. Then having a Chinese at The Bluebird (?) The first foreign restaurant in town (I think)- near the Salvation Army hall.
The slate piss stones at the bottom of Molesworth Street - they drained directly into the river.
There was a Methodist (?) Chapel that got demolished opposite those stones on Molesworth Street. Went in just before it got wrecked and it looked a beautiful place.
Vavasour Street: Had Newbold Infant school and a whole street of shops culminating at the Vavasour Hotel where, as little 'uns we used to gather to watch the fights.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:36 - May 15 with 1059 viewsdownunder

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 08:44 - May 15 by 49thseason

I really have no idea it was nearly 50 years ago .... I have no idea when winning draws and all that stuff was introduced in the CLL especially as Rochdale didnt win much in those days. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.

And the bridge has been opened up!. The ground moved. New clubs accepted, and others gone.
[Post edited 16 May 5:02]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:10 - May 20 with 650 viewsCarltonight

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:45 - Nov 13 by firgrovedale51

I used to go on the Firgrove Childrens picnic a great day out and a little packet with a few bob in `our wages' can you imagine taking kids to New Brighton now?
They used to collect house to house round Firgrove for it, all the men were volunteers I remember there being 4 coaches. ( I think)
[Post edited 13 Nov 2017 19:48]

My recollection/experience 🤔🙏 is that the FC picnic was going c1950’s. Reaching 5 barred gate and first to see Blackpool Tower. Continued visits until 1960’s, often with a brave lass or to watch Hornets - not both together! Played football for a team in a Manchester Advertising League in Blackpool too -freezing conditions!
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 06:23 - May 23 with 384 viewshammerdale

Sholto Norman Morrison Moxley..stood as an MP candidate somewhere in Manchester. Occasionally for RE lessons he would take the class to the San Remo on Drake St and buy us a coffee.... Sid Brown lived at the back of the Willbuts Lane stand. Allegedly he was diddled out of thousands by former Dale director and Solicitor David Wrigley.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:59 - May 23 with 255 viewsSuddenLad

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 06:23 - May 23 by hammerdale

Sholto Norman Morrison Moxley..stood as an MP candidate somewhere in Manchester. Occasionally for RE lessons he would take the class to the San Remo on Drake St and buy us a coffee.... Sid Brown lived at the back of the Willbuts Lane stand. Allegedly he was diddled out of thousands by former Dale director and Solicitor David Wrigley.

He stood as a Labour candidate in the February 1974 General Election in Manchester (Withington). He polled over 13,500 votes but was defeated by the Conservative candidate, who polled almost 18,000 votes.

He died 9th June 1979 aged 50 at his home address in Cheetham Hill.
[Post edited 23 May 10:06]

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:19 - May 23 with 135 views49thseason

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:35 - May 15 by mikehunt

Not sure if these have been mentioned but here goes:
Watching Rochdale Amateur Operatic Society perform Gibert &Sullivan at the Hippodrome. Then having a Chinese at The Bluebird (?) The first foreign restaurant in town (I think)- near the Salvation Army hall.
The slate piss stones at the bottom of Molesworth Street - they drained directly into the river.
There was a Methodist (?) Chapel that got demolished opposite those stones on Molesworth Street. Went in just before it got wrecked and it looked a beautiful place.
Vavasour Street: Had Newbold Infant school and a whole street of shops culminating at the Vavasour Hotel where, as little 'uns we used to gather to watch the fights.

Mike, you must be much older than I imagined, the Operatic Society ( now Rochdale Musical Theatre Company) have not played a G&S show since 1929! I think the Hipperdrome was knocked down in 1970 and for a while, the Society played at the Regal Cinema before eventually moving to the Gracie Fields Theatre in 1977 when the new Oulder Hill School opened. Not that the GFT was ready for hosting shows as the Society had to invest a large wedge of money to build a flying gallery above the stage to enable cloth backdrops and lighting bars to be hauled in and out .

Alas, the GFT is no longer useable as a Theatre thanks to the Private Finance Initiative ( PFI ) which led to it becoming effectively privately owned, and lettings ceased and the RMTC has had to move into the Champness Hall where a great deal of money needs to be spent to turn it into a genuine theatre. However, despite the difficulties, the RMTC has just performed 9 sell-out showings of Beauty and the Beast there to standing ovations.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024