Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The English game. 16:56 - Aug 10 with 5587 viewsbeat_the_bishop

So out of 22 players on the field at Wembley today only 3 are English. I find this pretty unbelievable!

Everything the Premier League stands for is a joke. They are just a brand and the only thing they are interested in is the English pound not the English game.

I sat at the Dale yesterday with my dad and watched the lads take to the field. Yes we got beat, against a quality team and there is no shame in that. I walked away satisfied that I had witnessed young hungry lads giving it their all for the love of the game and a successful career. Allen is a local lad, 19 and playing against some fantastic players. Then you have Tanser who I have never watched before. Also 19 and playing against seasoned pro's who have played at Championship level. He played like he knew he was good enough. Like someone has told him he is good enough (Hill).
Add to the fold the likes of Lund and Bennett etc the squad is young. And you must give Hill and the board the credit for giving these lads a chance and showing some commitment to the cause at youth level. It's all too easy to go and sign players who have 'been there done that' and release 10-15 young lads every year into the big bad world for not being 'ready' or 'good enough' to play professional football.

Football is fine lines, and basically confidence is what can make or break you. How do you get confidence from playing in front of 150 friends and family in a reserve or under 21 game at Hyde United on a cold Tuesday night? Or you can play in front of 3,000 or sometimes 6/7,000 this year when the away end is full. I know what I would prefer to do!

These big clubs are ruining the talents of these young lads. I went to watch the City 'Elite' against Chelsea's equivalent this year at Etihad. Some fantastic talent on show but again at least half were foreign. I got talking to a lad called Evans who was on loan at Crewe last season. He said he absolutely loved it and he would rather sign a deal at Crewe and play, than play in an empty ground but can say he 'plays' for city.
He played against Sheff Utd at Bramall Lane a week or two before I spoke to him and he was still buzzing about the 3 points Crewe took from that game.

I think some of the lads who come through that system are suited to it. (Grimes) But lads like Raff who have come through at Liverpool need to go to clubs like ours. 90% of the time they will never look back!

I hear all the 'best league in the world' tripe come out of some of my mates mouths and I just think your as bad as the hierarchy that run the league. I'm about supporting your local club, I dread to think I am the one subsidising the fuel for Backary Sagna's chrome plated Lamborghini by purchasing a season ticket at City. Everything they stand for just annoys me. The money, the arrogance everything. I like to think I'm funding the fuel for Jack the Kitmans Ford Transit to ferry the kits and cones about.

The FA need to have a stern word, although they will happily line their pockets with money and pretend they give a sh*t about the national game every two years because England fail time and time again. Then just to add insult to injury they come up with the 'B team' idea which just complete backs up my argument. They don't give a monkeys about the football league. And to me it is the ultimate insult for them to try and shake up the pyramid when the answer lies much closer to home.

The Football League is what makes the English game special. It's the thousands of fans that wonder up and down the country watching all levels right down to Radcliffe Borough that make it special. It's our game and what we love. Why you would even try and disturb that is just ill educated and ignorant. I don't think it will happen, because it would upset too many people. Like me!

Sorry for the massive essay. But I don't know who else to vent my frustrations to other than people who probably have the same opinion because your Dale fans and we aren't blinkered.

Premier teams should be forced to field 6 English or atleast British players. It's a start, and something that can only really benefit the game than make it worse!

Anyway, I love the Dale. Proper football, proper club and a proper game of football guaranteed. I wouldn't change it for the world. If someone said to me you can have a season ticket at United/City for free I would still decline. I'd rather go and watch Bury/Oldham week in week out and that is a massive statement!
The English game. on 17:03 - Aug 10 with 4372 views442Dale

Top post.

The Charity Shield used to be an event that started the season, now it's not even the biggest friendly those clubs will play. I'd rather watch the cycling on BBC.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The English game. on 17:04 - Aug 10 with 4373 viewsdale18

Couldn't agree more with all of that. Fantastic to read
The English game. on 17:09 - Aug 10 with 4341 viewsTVOS1907

Everything will be OK when City's new Academy develops loads of English talent and they see off the likes of Fleetwood in the JPT.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The English game. on 17:09 - Aug 10 with 4338 viewsColDale

Problem is the Premier League is the profitable league in the world rather than the best in the world. To maintain that, it has to be a global game. Anything which forces the Premier League teams to play English talent which diminish its global appeal, which means less profit. We're stuck with it.

Can only see things getting worse. The big teams in England now are finding it impossible to match the likes of Barca and Real Madrid, and I wouldn't be surprised to see efforts to break up the collective television deal in favour of individual deals.
The English game. on 17:25 - Aug 10 with 4307 views442Dale

The English game. on 17:09 - Aug 10 by TVOS1907

Everything will be OK when City's new Academy develops loads of English talent and they see off the likes of Fleetwood in the JPT.

Well, they are playing Jordan again...

The English game. on 18:02 - Aug 10 with 4239 viewsChaffRAFC

The English game. on 17:03 - Aug 10 by 442Dale

Top post.

The Charity Shield used to be an event that started the season, now it's not even the biggest friendly those clubs will play. I'd rather watch the cycling on BBC.

I remember that too. As I was growing up, the Charity Shield used to be the kickstart to the season, and had value. These days it's a complete joke. The fact that half of the two squads are still on holiday for it is farcical.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

The English game. on 18:05 - Aug 10 with 4235 viewsolympicdale

The English game. on 17:09 - Aug 10 by ColDale

Problem is the Premier League is the profitable league in the world rather than the best in the world. To maintain that, it has to be a global game. Anything which forces the Premier League teams to play English talent which diminish its global appeal, which means less profit. We're stuck with it.

Can only see things getting worse. The big teams in England now are finding it impossible to match the likes of Barca and Real Madrid, and I wouldn't be surprised to see efforts to break up the collective television deal in favour of individual deals.

I realise this isn't a direct correlation to the thread, but I was reading an article on the Independent, it was fascinating to read what the price of season tickets for the young fans were at the top clubs across europe compared to here. It is clear that we have been pricing fans out of the game for years to come, but we need to be concentrating on the younger generation, being a fan of any club starts at a young age, it is a memory we all have, of being taken to our first game, even more needs to be done to keep the young fans, and not bleeding them dry, like everyone else.

The cheapest season ticket at Arsenal is a staggering £1,014, I dread to think what the dearest one may be, this is not sustainable, and will alienate the fans in the long term, attendances will drastically drop as a result. Premierleague fans will, this season, pay an average of £526 for their lowest season ticket, an increase of over 6% from last season, a statistic made even more astonishing when you consider that each of the PL teams could let every fan in for free for all 38 games, and still be financially secure, given the sheer velocity of the payments received from TV.

Bayern Munich sell their cheapest season tickets for only £104, which is, amazingly, less than some tickets at the Emirates for a single match. Barcelona's cheapest is just £172 where as Real Madrid's cheapest season ticket is just £177, and even Juventus's cheapest was priced at £291.

We have a league that is based purely on money, at every level of it, from the players to the fans, there will only be so much the fans will accept, and it will drive them away, something has to change.

Life is a game of fate.

The English game. on 18:11 - Aug 10 with 4218 viewsD_Alien

The English game. on 18:02 - Aug 10 by ChaffRAFC

I remember that too. As I was growing up, the Charity Shield used to be the kickstart to the season, and had value. These days it's a complete joke. The fact that half of the two squads are still on holiday for it is farcical.

Talking of kickstarting - the bust up between Kevin Keegan and Billy Bremner in the Charity Shield in the 1970's seems almost nostalgic now.

On the OP - great stuff, and keep posting.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

The English game. on 18:18 - Aug 10 with 4199 viewsTalkingSutty

The English game. on 18:05 - Aug 10 by olympicdale

I realise this isn't a direct correlation to the thread, but I was reading an article on the Independent, it was fascinating to read what the price of season tickets for the young fans were at the top clubs across europe compared to here. It is clear that we have been pricing fans out of the game for years to come, but we need to be concentrating on the younger generation, being a fan of any club starts at a young age, it is a memory we all have, of being taken to our first game, even more needs to be done to keep the young fans, and not bleeding them dry, like everyone else.

The cheapest season ticket at Arsenal is a staggering £1,014, I dread to think what the dearest one may be, this is not sustainable, and will alienate the fans in the long term, attendances will drastically drop as a result. Premierleague fans will, this season, pay an average of £526 for their lowest season ticket, an increase of over 6% from last season, a statistic made even more astonishing when you consider that each of the PL teams could let every fan in for free for all 38 games, and still be financially secure, given the sheer velocity of the payments received from TV.

Bayern Munich sell their cheapest season tickets for only £104, which is, amazingly, less than some tickets at the Emirates for a single match. Barcelona's cheapest is just £172 where as Real Madrid's cheapest season ticket is just £177, and even Juventus's cheapest was priced at £291.

We have a league that is based purely on money, at every level of it, from the players to the fans, there will only be so much the fans will accept, and it will drive them away, something has to change.

Frightening figures for Premiership football but the lower leagues aren't much better when it comes to prices. Not sure but I reckon we will be paying over 25 quid as an adult to watch some of the away games this season which is a awful lot of money for lower league football.
It does get to the stage where you start missing games because it's difficult to justify the cost. I know quite a lot of fans who can't afford to go to away games.
The English game. on 18:22 - Aug 10 with 4188 viewsdingdangblue

Hopefully we will get some of the benefits if fans get fed up/priced out. I would rather watch Dale's young mostly British team rather than these over paid prima donas any day of the week.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The English game. on 18:27 - Aug 10 with 4175 viewsnordenblue

The English game. on 18:18 - Aug 10 by TalkingSutty

Frightening figures for Premiership football but the lower leagues aren't much better when it comes to prices. Not sure but I reckon we will be paying over 25 quid as an adult to watch some of the away games this season which is a awful lot of money for lower league football.
It does get to the stage where you start missing games because it's difficult to justify the cost. I know quite a lot of fans who can't afford to go to away games.

Exactly, theres many away games I choose to miss due to the obscene ticket pricing, Hartlepool was one and seem to remember Sheff Weds being quite a bit over 20 quid and gave that a wide birth too, any ticket over 20 quid to me is grossly over priced for lower league football
The English game. on 18:37 - Aug 10 with 4153 views442Dale

The English game. on 18:27 - Aug 10 by nordenblue

Exactly, theres many away games I choose to miss due to the obscene ticket pricing, Hartlepool was one and seem to remember Sheff Weds being quite a bit over 20 quid and gave that a wide birth too, any ticket over 20 quid to me is grossly over priced for lower league football

To Dale's credit we have kept prices the same for a while now, but at no state should we break that £20 barrier. It might be that the other stands creep up by a quid or something, but it would be sending out the wrong message if it went above twenty quid while we're in the bottom two divisions.

The English game. on 18:54 - Aug 10 with 4127 viewsmeeee

Has anyone ever heard of this 39th game rubbish? I've only just came across it.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1686253-premier-league-the-39th-game-abroad-m
The English game. on 19:05 - Aug 10 with 4099 viewsSalwaDale

Fantastic post.

TBBT

The English game. on 19:12 - Aug 10 with 4072 viewsColDale

The English game. on 18:02 - Aug 10 by ChaffRAFC

What's farcical is people talking of it as being a genuine trophy to win.
The English game. on 19:36 - Aug 10 with 4019 viewsolympicdale

The English game. on 18:18 - Aug 10 by TalkingSutty

I think its disgusting the prices in every league, you're looking at £15 to watch Stockport County in the conference north. It's a good sign that we are sticking to our price structures and not trying to over price fans, just maybe some more deals throughout the season, 2 for 1 deals etc will help get more floaters in.

Life is a game of fate.

The English game. on 20:02 - Aug 10 with 3980 viewsaleanddale

Fantastic OP.

3/22 and the FA wonder why we look so off the pace at international level.

complete joke the premiershite - give me jamie Allen - Scott Tanser and our other 9 home grown talents every day of the week.
The English game. on 20:17 - Aug 10 with 3948 viewsDiddyDave

I`ve been saying similar things for a long time about the ridiculous amount of foreigners in the EPL,but unfortunately money talks and that`s why Rupert Murdoch runs the game rather than the English FA these days. Somebody shot me down a few weeks ago when I said following England`s pathetic showing in the World Cup,that there should be a limit on the amount of overseas players allowed to be played by teams,saying that was already in place. Well,if that`s the case,how the hell were there only three English players on the hallowed Wembley turf then?
The English game. on 20:26 - Aug 10 with 3926 viewsChaffRAFC

The English game. on 19:12 - Aug 10 by ColDale

What's farcical is people talking of it as being a genuine trophy to win.

No I agree but it should still be taken more seriously than any other friendly. Was never bothered about winning it but still should be two teams taking it seriously as opposed to chucking reserve teams out.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

The English game. on 20:30 - Aug 10 with 3913 viewsborodale4

The problem for me isn't so much the City's and Arsenals of this world. They are competing at such a level that only world class talent will do and let's face it that's not English. The biggest problem is the West Broms and Stokes bringing over average to poor foreign players and playing them in place of young English lads.
The English game. on 21:24 - Aug 10 with 3859 viewsKenBoon

The English game. on 17:09 - Aug 10 by ColDale

Breaking up, or at least staggering, the telly deal is the best thing they could do. Too much debt is racked up to get to the Premier League where getting relegated in your first season earns you 100m+. It's stupid and one of the biggest problems. They all get equal money yet the top 4 or 5 are always the same, so clearly it's not a level playing field and paying the teams wholly on where they finish in the league will stop them overpaying for crap and encourage progress rather than clinging on for dear life.
The English game. on 23:15 - Aug 10 with 3768 viewsThran

Although the Premier League has far too little English players what can you expect when the likes of Luke Shaw cost around £30m?

Can we really blame a premier league club for opting for a cheap foreigner than an over-priced English player?

As for the prices they are fooking ridiculous, my mate is a United fan and he's never been to a United match so I wanted to take him for his 18th only to find a match vs Hull last season (Closest to his birthday and as it was Hull so I expected it to be relatively cheap) to be around £50 per ticket and I don't like him enough to spend that much money.

No wonder 99% of the United fans I know are fans which is why they should all stop supporting them and come to Dale like I did

P.s. Only just released there are smileys on this forum

[Post edited 11 Aug 2014 2:02]

Poll: Bigger drop, Wigan or Tranmere?

The English game. on 23:41 - Aug 10 with 3735 viewsKenBoon

The English game. on 23:15 - Aug 10 by Thran

Although the Premier League has far too little English players what can you expect when the likes of Luke Shaw cost around £30m?

Can we really blame a premier league club for opting for a cheap foreigner than an over-priced English player?

As for the prices they are fooking ridiculous, my mate is a United fan and he's never been to a United match so I wanted to take him for his 18th only to find a match vs Hull last season (Closest to his birthday and as it was Hull so I expected it to be relatively cheap) to be around £50 per ticket and I don't like him enough to spend that much money.

No wonder 99% of the United fans I know are fans which is why they should all stop supporting them and come to Dale like I did

P.s. Only just released there are smileys on this forum

[Post edited 11 Aug 2014 2:02]

The foreign players generally aren't cheaper now. It's a small world and over-rated foreign players are easy to sell to cash/credit rich clubs too. There's just extreme examples such as Luke Shaw and Andy Carroll who's transfer fees are ridiculous.
The English game. on 01:20 - Aug 11 with 3684 viewszxcvbnm

Give me L1 or 2 anyway. Premier League full of mercenaries

Poll: Best loanee keeper

The English game. on 13:21 - Aug 11 with 3529 viewsColDale

The English game. on 18:27 - Aug 10 by nordenblue

£22 at Crewe next week. Ignoring those games where prices go up on the day, is this our most expensive league game we've ever played?

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/tickets-crewe-16.08.14-1819558.aspx?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024