Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Piss Take penalty or clever? 12:01 - Feb 15 with 5050 viewsdingdangblue

Messi and Suarez team up. Should not have counted though with Suarez encroaching inside the D / area when the kick is taken.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 12:04 - Feb 15 with 4388 viewsRotherhamDale

Absolute genius.

If anybody missed the second half of that game last night, try and watch it. I think the final 20 minutes was the best football I've ever seen.

Possession with progression.

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 12:28 - Feb 15 with 4306 viewsLuke8686

looks good when it comes off... unlike the Pires/Henry rendition

would love to see us attempt it on Tuesday night.. maybe wait til we're 3 up first though..
Piss Take penalty or clever? on 15:12 - Feb 15 with 4093 viewsseasidedale

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 12:28 - Feb 15 by Luke8686

looks good when it comes off... unlike the Pires/Henry rendition

would love to see us attempt it on Tuesday night.. maybe wait til we're 3 up first though..

Sure this was done by Ajax in the 70/80 's and the refs assosoiation were looking at it and said it wasnt legal and stopped it so dont know if they have changed the rule, knowing our luck if we tried it, we would hit the post the ball would shoot back into our half and they would score
Piss Take penalty or clever? on 15:23 - Feb 15 with 4069 viewsColDale

Is this now classed as a missed penalty by Messi?
Piss Take penalty or clever? on 15:51 - Feb 15 with 4020 viewsdingdangblue

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 15:23 - Feb 15 by ColDale

Is this now classed as a missed penalty by Messi?

We tried a different variation of this at Bradford last season where Henderson chips it against the crossbar to Vincenti who follows it up to score.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 16:10 - Feb 15 with 3986 viewsKenBoon

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 15:51 - Feb 15 by dingdangblue

We tried a different variation of this at Bradford last season where Henderson chips it against the crossbar to Vincenti who follows it up to score.

Exactly. Barcelona can only dream of doing that.
Piss Take penalty or clever? on 18:23 - Feb 15 with 3870 viewsfrenzied

im still waiting for someone to back heel a penalty in!!...would that be legal ?
Piss Take penalty or clever? on 19:05 - Feb 15 with 3815 viewsrobbowood

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 18:23 - Feb 15 by frenzied

im still waiting for someone to back heel a penalty in!!...would that be legal ?

already has

Login to get fewer ads

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 19:59 - Feb 15 with 3746 viewsfrenzied

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 19:05 - Feb 15 by robbowood

already has

Thanks for that...not that the keeper made much of an attempt to stop it!!
Piss Take penalty or clever? on 21:21 - Feb 15 with 3669 viewsDiddyDave

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 15:12 - Feb 15 by seasidedale

Sure this was done by Ajax in the 70/80 's and the refs assosoiation were looking at it and said it wasnt legal and stopped it so dont know if they have changed the rule, knowing our luck if we tried it, we would hit the post the ball would shoot back into our half and they would score

I can`t see how the Ref`s Association could ban it:as long as the ball moves forward off the spot,same as at the start of the game,the ball is in play and the game continues. But I do agree,it is taking the piss somewhat. The thing I do not understand is how refs allow some takers of penalties to place the ball away from the centre of the penalty spot as the dead centre should be the exact distance of twelve yards. But there we go again,players always try to take the laws to the nth degree these days,corner kicks and goal kicks in particular,where they try to "pinch" an extra half an inch or so,placing the ball on the extreme outside of the line. Pathetic.
Piss Take penalty or clever? on 21:41 - Feb 15 with 3646 viewsTVOS1907

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 21:21 - Feb 15 by DiddyDave

I can`t see how the Ref`s Association could ban it:as long as the ball moves forward off the spot,same as at the start of the game,the ball is in play and the game continues. But I do agree,it is taking the piss somewhat. The thing I do not understand is how refs allow some takers of penalties to place the ball away from the centre of the penalty spot as the dead centre should be the exact distance of twelve yards. But there we go again,players always try to take the laws to the nth degree these days,corner kicks and goal kicks in particular,where they try to "pinch" an extra half an inch or so,placing the ball on the extreme outside of the line. Pathetic.

Not really.

At a corner the ball can be placed anywhere in the corner arc, including its boundary, so no laws are being broken as long as part of the ball touches said boundary.

Similarly at a goal kick.

At a penalty, 12 yards from the centre of the goal line is a locus of radius of 12 yards, which by definition can be slap bang in the middle of the penalty spot or fractionally to the left or right of the middle of the penalty spot.

Think about how the hands of a clock move! (Presumably they still have them down under)
[Post edited 15 Feb 2016 21:42]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 22:14 - Feb 15 with 3600 viewsDiddyDave

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 21:41 - Feb 15 by TVOS1907

Not really.

At a corner the ball can be placed anywhere in the corner arc, including its boundary, so no laws are being broken as long as part of the ball touches said boundary.

Similarly at a goal kick.

At a penalty, 12 yards from the centre of the goal line is a locus of radius of 12 yards, which by definition can be slap bang in the middle of the penalty spot or fractionally to the left or right of the middle of the penalty spot.

Think about how the hands of a clock move! (Presumably they still have them down under)
[Post edited 15 Feb 2016 21:42]

No,you`ve said it yourself,slap bang in the centre of the spot,fractionally to the left or right,forward or backward,is surely a contradiction? I see what you`re trying to say though,locus of radius and all that,but surely it is the players,once again,coming up with another way to cheat,or,as I said,pushing the laws of the game to the nth degree. Just my opinion,so I`ll say no more.
Piss Take penalty or clever? on 22:31 - Feb 15 with 3557 viewsTVOS1907

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 22:14 - Feb 15 by DiddyDave

No,you`ve said it yourself,slap bang in the centre of the spot,fractionally to the left or right,forward or backward,is surely a contradiction? I see what you`re trying to say though,locus of radius and all that,but surely it is the players,once again,coming up with another way to cheat,or,as I said,pushing the laws of the game to the nth degree. Just my opinion,so I`ll say no more.

I haven't contradicted myself. There are other places that are 12 yards from the centre of the goal and still on the penalty spot, albeit by a fraction of an inch.

I never mentioned forwards or backwards.

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 22:37 - Feb 15 with 3548 viewsdingdangblue

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 19:05 - Feb 15 by robbowood

already has

This ones a cracker also.

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 23:19 - Feb 15 with 3522 viewslove_the_dale

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 22:31 - Feb 15 by TVOS1907

I haven't contradicted myself. There are other places that are 12 yards from the centre of the goal and still on the penalty spot, albeit by a fraction of an inch.

I never mentioned forwards or backwards.

"Within each penalty area, a penalty mark is made 11 m (12 yds) from the
midpoint between the goalposts and equidistant to them. "

If the ball is moved on the arc you are referring to, it will not be equidistant from the goalposts.
Piss Take penalty or clever? on 23:31 - Feb 15 with 3509 viewsD_Alien

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 23:19 - Feb 15 by love_the_dale

If the ball is moved on the arc you are referring to, it will not be equidistant from the goalposts.

Are the goalposts always perfectly perpendicular?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 23:39 - Feb 15 with 3480 viewslove_the_dale

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 23:31 - Feb 15 by D_Alien

Are the goalposts always perfectly perpendicular?

I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of fish.
Piss Take penalty or clever? on 23:43 - Feb 15 with 3474 viewsD_Alien

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 23:39 - Feb 15 by love_the_dale

I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of fish.

Really?

If they're not, it's impossible for the ball to be equidistant from each goalpost except at one specific point, which could be the top of the posts, the bottom of the posts, or any one point in between but not for their entire height; so your point becomes irrelevant.

[Post edited 15 Feb 2016 23:44]

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 23:59 - Feb 15 with 3445 viewsTVOS1907

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 23:19 - Feb 15 by love_the_dale

See my first post. I specifically referred to the centre of the goal line.

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 00:31 - Feb 16 with 3411 viewslove_the_dale

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 23:43 - Feb 15 by D_Alien

Really?

If they're not, it's impossible for the ball to be equidistant from each goalpost except at one specific point, which could be the top of the posts, the bottom of the posts, or any one point in between but not for their entire height; so your point becomes irrelevant.

[Post edited 15 Feb 2016 23:44]

""A goal consists of two upright posts equidistant from the corner
flagposts and joined at the top by a horizontal crossbar. .........
The distance between the posts is 7.32 m (8 yds) and the distance from the lower edge of the crossbar to the ground is 2.44 m (8 ft)."

Is it ok to assume 'upright' = 'perpendicular'? If so, the issue of non-perpendicularity does not come into it. Even if it did, you answer the problem of being allowed to move the ball along an arc where you say, "except at one specific point".
Piss Take penalty or clever? on 00:45 - Feb 16 with 3403 viewslove_the_dale

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 23:59 - Feb 15 by TVOS1907

See my first post. I specifically referred to the centre of the goal line.

That's fine - I have no problem with that. What I disagreed with is moving the ball on a 12 yard radius from the centre of the goal line, because then it becomes non-equidistant from the goal posts, no matter how far it is moved along the locus. It doesn't matter whether it is moved a bit or a lot.
Piss Take penalty or clever? on 02:55 - Feb 16 with 3372 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 12:04 - Feb 15 by RotherhamDale

Absolute genius.

If anybody missed the second half of that game last night, try and watch it. I think the final 20 minutes was the best football I've ever seen.

I think 'genius' is overstating it a bit....this isn't a new approach.

If Messi was truly a genius he would make his tax case disappear!
Piss Take penalty or clever? on 13:07 - Feb 16 with 3235 viewsD_Alien

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 00:31 - Feb 16 by love_the_dale

""A goal consists of two upright posts equidistant from the corner
flagposts and joined at the top by a horizontal crossbar. .........
The distance between the posts is 7.32 m (8 yds) and the distance from the lower edge of the crossbar to the ground is 2.44 m (8 ft)."

Is it ok to assume 'upright' = 'perpendicular'? If so, the issue of non-perpendicularity does not come into it. Even if it did, you answer the problem of being allowed to move the ball along an arc where you say, "except at one specific point".

The issue here, is that your point is based on fractional deviations from the centre of the penalty spot.

In the real world, no such perfection exists (as my point about goalposts illustrated) so a player placing the ball a few centimetres either side, or forward/back from the putative centre of the penalty spot is pretty irrelevant and will make no difference whatsoever to the chances of scoring or the keeper saving it.

I suspect players who do place the ball very slightly off-centre do so because the ball won't rest firmly on the whitewash at the centre.

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 13:20 - Feb 16 with 3216 viewsTVOS1907

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 13:07 - Feb 16 by D_Alien

The issue here, is that your point is based on fractional deviations from the centre of the penalty spot.

In the real world, no such perfection exists (as my point about goalposts illustrated) so a player placing the ball a few centimetres either side, or forward/back from the putative centre of the penalty spot is pretty irrelevant and will make no difference whatsoever to the chances of scoring or the keeper saving it.

I suspect players who do place the ball very slightly off-centre do so because the ball won't rest firmly on the whitewash at the centre.

Precisely (or not).

And the Law states the position of the penalty spot, rather than the ball on it.

I would concur that a player moving the ball to the left or right of centre is actually reducing his angle of attack, albeit by a fraction of an inch/millimetre/whatever unit you want to use.

Micky Holmes must have done this each time he took penalty!

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 14:49 - Feb 16 with 3137 viewsDaleiLama

Piss Take penalty or clever? on 13:20 - Feb 16 by TVOS1907

Precisely (or not).

And the Law states the position of the penalty spot, rather than the ball on it.

I would concur that a player moving the ball to the left or right of centre is actually reducing his angle of attack, albeit by a fraction of an inch/millimetre/whatever unit you want to use.

Micky Holmes must have done this each time he took penalty!

Until the FA introduces penalty-spot laser satellite technology, I can see this argument running on and on in pubs up and down the land.

Next thing you know, there'll be discussions on when is a handball not a handball ........

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024