Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dale Co-op RIP 17:30 - Feb 18 with 2650 viewsD_Alien

Just in case anyone was wondering, the Dale Co-op venture that I promoted on here last autumn has folded.

That's not to say it wasn't worth the trouble in trying, but several factors have mitigated against it. The two main ones being the recent flood in the town centre - suitable premises were actually being looked at during this period which were flooded and had to be discounted; but first and foremost, a lack of interest in the population as a whole.

http://www.getyourshare.co.uk/

Go on, those of you who said it'd fail - have your "I told you so" moment!

One thing that emerged during discussions between the Co-op and the Council were some interesting plans* for improving the retail side of the town centre, in conjunction with opening up the Roch. These plans will possibly create a better place for Rochdalians, which was the primary aim of the Co-op.

Finally, thanks for those who offered their support and made pledges of time/money.

* mainly around the area from behind the tram station towards the back of the Wheatsheaf centre, but I don't have the full details.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Dale Co-op RIP on 17:47 - Feb 18 with 2590 viewsTalkingSutty

I dont think anybody will be having a go at you Dalian. Putting yourself out in order to better the town and its people was a great gesture,thanks.
Dale Co-op RIP on 18:00 - Feb 18 with 2543 viewsSuddenLad

I'm genuniely saddened that this venture has failed, especially so early on. It was always a worthwhile venture and seemed to promise much, but alas, it wasn't to be.

Fair play to those who expended their time and considerable efforts to get it going. Hopefully some of the ideas may come to fruition in the future.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Dale Co-op RIP on 18:06 - Feb 18 with 2503 views1mark1

The ToadLane co-op people are hoping for a new venture in the future. Now if that became as successful as the original venture, that would be something.😀

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Dale Co-op RIP on 18:16 - Feb 18 with 2478 views1mark1

Yes shame, it couldn't succeed. Unfortunately it is hard to get enough people who either have the money to invest or the time / availability to invest.

Like what was said in OP, the town centre will continue to change massively in the next few years, hopefully becoming a town centre to be proud of rather the current town to avoid, better retail, leisure and recreation.

Dale Co-op RIP on 19:44 - Feb 18 with 2305 viewsDaleiLama

That's a pity.
Tip of the cap to all concerned who tried to make a go of it. Hopefully it will have left a legacy by some of the ideas and aims eventually coming to fruition to the benefit of all, now that the butterfly has flapped its wings .............

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Dale Co-op RIP on 09:36 - Feb 19 with 2005 viewsmingthemerciless

Well done for having a go. At least you tried. I don't really know if Rochdale will ever recover from it's present condition. It's going to need massive help from Central Government. That's not likely to happen whatever party is in power. I don't expect anything from this Government but I'm bitterly disappointed that the Blair Government was more interested in foreign wars than this area.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread and I'm not pointing the finger in any one direction.
Dale Co-op RIP on 10:32 - Feb 19 with 1937 viewsD_Alien

Dale Co-op RIP on 09:36 - Feb 19 by mingthemerciless

Well done for having a go. At least you tried. I don't really know if Rochdale will ever recover from it's present condition. It's going to need massive help from Central Government. That's not likely to happen whatever party is in power. I don't expect anything from this Government but I'm bitterly disappointed that the Blair Government was more interested in foreign wars than this area.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread and I'm not pointing the finger in any one direction.

No problem with your post ming, nothing I'd disagree with there.

I would say that there's currently a £100m regeneration scheme in progress - not exactly sure where the funding comes from but can't imagine it'd be from anywhere else but central government?

Remains to be seen what the effect will be once it's completed.

Dale Co-op RIP on 12:26 - Feb 19 with 1836 viewsmingthemerciless

Dale Co-op RIP on 10:32 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

No problem with your post ming, nothing I'd disagree with there.

I would say that there's currently a £100m regeneration scheme in progress - not exactly sure where the funding comes from but can't imagine it'd be from anywhere else but central government?

Remains to be seen what the effect will be once it's completed.

We needed that dosh 15 years ago really. What was Lorna Fitzsimmons doing then ? I hope this work transforms the town but what we need are jobs that pay decent wages. As far as I can see the companies that move to Rochdale do so because of the low pay rates. They've no intention of increasing the going rate.
Login to get fewer ads

Dale Co-op RIP on 13:10 - Feb 19 with 1804 views1mark1

Dale Co-op RIP on 12:26 - Feb 19 by mingthemerciless

We needed that dosh 15 years ago really. What was Lorna Fitzsimmons doing then ? I hope this work transforms the town but what we need are jobs that pay decent wages. As far as I can see the companies that move to Rochdale do so because of the low pay rates. They've no intention of increasing the going rate.

The new shopping areas, and leisure facilities etc are private investment, however there is COuncil and European money going into other parts of redevelopment of the town centre. As far as I know Central government money/funding is not involved. Heritage and Council money going into Town Hall , and river opening, also environment agency money to river project.

As far as Lorna Fitzsimons, like every MP this town as had since 1972, she wasn't much use. She was too busy trying to be a good , well behaved New Labour "Blair Babe" and spent much of the time justifying pointless foreign invasions, though to be honest, while she was MP and we had a Lab government, there was record investment in the NHS and local education, especially in infrastructure, and that is fact. She did do plenty of advice surgeries, though to be honest, all of the MPs have done alright on that score, and she wasn't in it for herself like the current one, though when she list her seat, she already had a high powered job lined up,with a pro Israel organisation.

It could be said we would benefit more if we had a Tory MP, as the Tories in government do give more money when one of theirs is in position same with local government.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2016 13:46]

Dale Co-op RIP on 14:19 - Feb 19 with 1726 viewsmingthemerciless

Being perfectly honest and speaking as a Labour voter Liz Lynne impressed me the most on a personal level.
Dale Co-op RIP on 15:05 - Feb 19 with 1657 views49thseason

It's unfortunate that the Dale Co-op has been unable to establish itself as a force in the town, it looked like a decent idea but probably needed more people with deeper pockets to make it successful. Also, I don't think the local wanna-be politicians have any real interest in seeing other people develop schemes that show up how poor the local political processes have been for so many years.

I wouldn't normally have much in common (politically at least) with Ming but he has hit the nail on the head with regard to the need for more highly paid jobs. Rochdale has been run into the ground with successive governments taking much-needed jobs from the town (I'm thinking lnland Revenue, DHS, Courts, Hospitals etc.) and handing them to our neighbours. Those job removals were inadequately fought by the successive councils and MPs to the point that Rochdale is now simply a dormitory town for the rest of Greater Manchester, as admitted to me by our previous Chief Executive a few years ago.

I also take exception to the term"European money" as it is effectively the EU giving us our own money back for schemes that the EU approves, not necessarily the schemes that we need.

Sadly I fear that Rochdale has become a total economic basket case and that the problems are too complicated and costly for them ever to be satisfactorily resolved. Adding thousands of ever-poorer people to the already impoverished borough is simply increasing the pressure on wholly inadequate resources. The end result may not be pretty.
Dale Co-op RIP on 15:53 - Feb 19 with 1595 views1mark1

Dale Co-op RIP on 15:05 - Feb 19 by 49thseason

It's unfortunate that the Dale Co-op has been unable to establish itself as a force in the town, it looked like a decent idea but probably needed more people with deeper pockets to make it successful. Also, I don't think the local wanna-be politicians have any real interest in seeing other people develop schemes that show up how poor the local political processes have been for so many years.

I wouldn't normally have much in common (politically at least) with Ming but he has hit the nail on the head with regard to the need for more highly paid jobs. Rochdale has been run into the ground with successive governments taking much-needed jobs from the town (I'm thinking lnland Revenue, DHS, Courts, Hospitals etc.) and handing them to our neighbours. Those job removals were inadequately fought by the successive councils and MPs to the point that Rochdale is now simply a dormitory town for the rest of Greater Manchester, as admitted to me by our previous Chief Executive a few years ago.

I also take exception to the term"European money" as it is effectively the EU giving us our own money back for schemes that the EU approves, not necessarily the schemes that we need.

Sadly I fear that Rochdale has become a total economic basket case and that the problems are too complicated and costly for them ever to be satisfactorily resolved. Adding thousands of ever-poorer people to the already impoverished borough is simply increasing the pressure on wholly inadequate resources. The end result may not be pretty.

"
I wouldn't normally have much in common (politically at least) with Ming but he has hit the nail on the head with regard to the need for more highly paid jobs. Rochdale has been run into the ground with successive governments taking much-needed jobs from the town (I'm thinking lnland Revenue, DHS, Courts, Hospitals etc.) and handing them to our neighbours. Those job removals were inadequately fought by the successive councils and MPs to the point that Rochdale is now simply a dormitory town for the rest of Greater Manchester, as admitted to me by our previous Chief Executive a few years ago. "

Totally agree. If we had better paid jobs in this town, maybe more could afford going to the Dale, and spend more money in local shops, and pubs etc.

Regarding the European money, yes you are right, however I was just stating that it was some of that money that is being used in Rochdale. We in this town probably do better getting European money than we do getting money back from our Government .

The current political system means that support money from central government to local areas is not dependent on needs as much as it should be, but on political patronage, ie governments look after their own. Local authorities should get money based on their costs for providing services to local people, based on the numbers that need supporting. This was near to being the case until recently, however the funding arrangements have changed, to the detriment of areas like Rochdale, and to the advantage of areas like Westminster.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2016 16:44]

Dale Co-op RIP on 16:37 - Feb 19 with 1538 viewsD_Alien

" I don't think the local wanna-be politicians have any real interest in seeing other people develop schemes that show up how poor the local political processes have been for so many years."

You can brett your bottom dollar they didn't like it. The snide remarks / no replies from councillors when asked for their support for something that was seeking to benefit the town had to be seen to be believed. Talk about small-time egos being bruised.

I won't go into too much detail except to say very few emerged with any credit whatsoever. One who did - and worth a mention - is Andy Kelly, Lib Dem councillor for Milnrow & Newhey. A genuine guy who seemed to have the interests of other people first and foremost.

Dale Co-op RIP on 16:43 - Feb 19 with 1518 viewsisitme

Dale Co-op RIP on 16:37 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

" I don't think the local wanna-be politicians have any real interest in seeing other people develop schemes that show up how poor the local political processes have been for so many years."

You can brett your bottom dollar they didn't like it. The snide remarks / no replies from councillors when asked for their support for something that was seeking to benefit the town had to be seen to be believed. Talk about small-time egos being bruised.

I won't go into too much detail except to say very few emerged with any credit whatsoever. One who did - and worth a mention - is Andy Kelly, Lib Dem councillor for Milnrow & Newhey. A genuine guy who seemed to have the interests of other people first and foremost.

I assume that 'Brett your bottom dollar' is intentional?
Dale Co-op RIP on 16:46 - Feb 19 with 1493 viewsD_Alien

Dale Co-op RIP on 16:43 - Feb 19 by isitme

I assume that 'Brett your bottom dollar' is intentional?

Isn't that the correct phrase?

Dale Co-op RIP on 16:50 - Feb 19 with 1479 viewsisitme

Dale Co-op RIP on 16:46 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

Isn't that the correct phrase?

I though it was bet, but there is a local councillor who is disliked by many called Brett. Although a few of his acolytes post on here.
Dale Co-op RIP on 16:52 - Feb 19 with 1473 views1mark1

Dale Co-op RIP on 16:50 - Feb 19 by isitme

I though it was bet, but there is a local councillor who is disliked by many called Brett. Although a few of his acolytes post on here.

Disliked just as much by people in his party as out of it, no wonder he is the agent for the MP.

Dale Co-op RIP on 17:01 - Feb 19 with 1448 views1mark1

Dale Co-op RIP on 16:37 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

Yes it shows how bad things are politically in this town.

Agree re Andy Kelly, good man. He's done a good job of releasing stuff about our MP, and there is more to come.

Think more than him, though showed an interest in the Venture.

Dale Co-op RIP on 17:11 - Feb 19 with 1414 views49thseason

Oh! what tangled webs we weave....
Isn't Brett the preferred choice for the Milkstone & Deeplish ward in May? I would have thought he was rather too ..er..er..how can I put it... unsympathetic to the needs of the constituents to stand there.
Seems like the thought of being ousted in Milnrow was too much to bear and he had to be found a safe seat to enable him to continue making such a wonderful fist of the town's finances.
http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/100386/allen-bret
Dale Co-op RIP on 17:21 - Feb 19 with 1398 views1mark1

Dale Co-op RIP on 17:11 - Feb 19 by 49thseason

Oh! what tangled webs we weave....
Isn't Brett the preferred choice for the Milkstone & Deeplish ward in May? I would have thought he was rather too ..er..er..how can I put it... unsympathetic to the needs of the constituents to stand there.
Seems like the thought of being ousted in Milnrow was too much to bear and he had to be found a safe seat to enable him to continue making such a wonderful fist of the town's finances.
http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/100386/allen-bret

Yes he,s done the old 'chicken run' as there is an excellent chance of Lab losing, especially with him as candidate in Milnrow and Newhey ward. Lab are counting on M and D remaining a safe ward for them. Really hope that the voters there show how wrong it is to assume loyalty in votes.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2016 17:25]

Dale Co-op RIP on 17:21 - Feb 19 with 1397 viewsD_Alien

Dale Co-op RIP on 16:50 - Feb 19 by isitme

You're probably right.

But then again, I thought acolytes was a type of light ale

Dale Co-op RIP on 19:03 - Feb 19 with 1280 viewsmingthemerciless

More or less sums up my feelings.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024