Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Euro 96 rewind 20:33 - Jun 1 with 1578 viewsdingdangblue

Good this by the BBC.
Game live on BBC red button also.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/36258249

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Euro 96 rewind on 15:01 - Jun 2 with 1441 viewsYorkshire_Dale

IF the Guvnor had taken the penalty that Southgate missed could we have won the shoot-out?

Soft Incey!
Euro 96 rewind on 15:18 - Jun 2 with 1423 viewsfitzochris

Still goes down as one of my favourite international tournaments.

The summer of ’96 — I’d just finished high school for good and the sun was shining.

We blew it against Switzerland after taking the lead and then put in a turgid 45 minutes against Scotland. Then something magical happened from that second half onwards.

Gary Neville’s cross for Shearer was sublime and McAllister missing that penalty for Scotland not only demoralised them, it allowed us to deliver the perfect sucker punch — and what a punch it was. One of the best goals I’ve ever seen.

Battering the Dutch (and letting them score one goal which eliminated Scotland) and actually winning a penalty shoot-out (against the Spanish) created a real feeling of “we can actually win this thing”.

Even the game against the Germans was a nail-biter — if only Gazza had an extra inch on him.

Everyone will remember Southgate’s penalty miss — but I just remember a great tournament hosted on home soil.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Euro 96 rewind on 16:22 - Jun 2 with 1380 viewsdingdangblue

Euro 96 rewind on 15:01 - Jun 2 by Yorkshire_Dale

IF the Guvnor had taken the penalty that Southgate missed could we have won the shoot-out?

Soft Incey!

Not so sure - Guvnor missed v Argentina at France 98!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Euro 96 rewind on 16:24 - Jun 2 with 1372 viewsdingdangblue

Euro 96 rewind on 15:18 - Jun 2 by fitzochris

Still goes down as one of my favourite international tournaments.

The summer of ’96 — I’d just finished high school for good and the sun was shining.

We blew it against Switzerland after taking the lead and then put in a turgid 45 minutes against Scotland. Then something magical happened from that second half onwards.

Gary Neville’s cross for Shearer was sublime and McAllister missing that penalty for Scotland not only demoralised them, it allowed us to deliver the perfect sucker punch — and what a punch it was. One of the best goals I’ve ever seen.

Battering the Dutch (and letting them score one goal which eliminated Scotland) and actually winning a penalty shoot-out (against the Spanish) created a real feeling of “we can actually win this thing”.

Even the game against the Germans was a nail-biter — if only Gazza had an extra inch on him.

Everyone will remember Southgate’s penalty miss — but I just remember a great tournament hosted on home soil.

Cracking documentary last night also - Shearer: When Football Came Home.

Euro 96 rewind on 17:08 - Jun 2 with 1329 viewsD_Alien

Also a timely reminder that we rarely start well in tournaments, even those we might consider relatively successful.

Our opening games in 1966, 1986, 1990 & 1996 were all pretty dire.

The one time we came out of the blocks fast - 1982 - ended in abject failure.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Euro 96 rewind on 17:36 - Jun 2 with 1298 viewsrichfoad32

https://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Football-Came-Home-England/dp/178531128X/ref=tmm_p

Thoroughly recommend this as a read about Euro'96, brings back a lot of good memories. Brilliant summer, I was in my early 20's and the whole country seemed to get swept up by the excitement, never really had a tournament like it since.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024