Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just falling short again....... 11:52 - May 6 with 2612 viewsdingdangblue

For the 3rd season under Hill in League 1 we are going to miss out on the play off by a couple of wins. 10/11 we were 4 points behind Bournemouth and 14/15 it was 6 points behind Sheffield Utd. Obviously we are punching well above our weight but its clear that Hill is a genius manager for us - and he is so close to getting us there. What do we need to just get over the line next season? Donal and Mendez -Laing should be even better next season, Camps and Allen to stay and Bunney to improve even more - with Lund and Henderson's class and a solid back 5 of Lillis,Raff,Canavan,Eastham and McNulty. Thats a very settled starting point - certainly looks on paper to be a team we can start the season confidently with. Hill will have a couple of additions lined up I'm sure - it could be a cracker of a season.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Just falling short again....... on 12:35 - May 6 with 2501 viewsSwissdale

Agree with you for the most part, but I think if we are to improve we need a few good signings.
A proper left back (McNulty is a square peg in a round hole), and an out and out striker (about as easy to find as unicorn shit) being the minimum. Vincenti and Henderson consistently playing to their full ability will really help the cause as well, the former being a real concern in the past few months.

A fantastic season, with huge success both on and off the field. Let's hope we can keep hold of KH and see what he has in stall for 2017 and beyond.
Just falling short again....... on 12:37 - May 6 with 2494 viewsParkinsGimp

Hope you are right but Canavan wont improve , neither McNulty. We just need that little bit of input of class to take us a little nearer the promised land.
We could go all out and sell car parking spaces and promote non-existent concerts and sign players in ridiculous wages hoping we get to the championship...on the other hand lets keep doing what we are doing. That sounds like a reciepe for disaster. Cant remember any decent bury players we could snap up if/when they go bust.
Just falling short again....... on 12:46 - May 6 with 2456 viewsdingdangblue

Just falling short again....... on 12:35 - May 6 by Swissdale

Agree with you for the most part, but I think if we are to improve we need a few good signings.
A proper left back (McNulty is a square peg in a round hole), and an out and out striker (about as easy to find as unicorn shit) being the minimum. Vincenti and Henderson consistently playing to their full ability will really help the cause as well, the former being a real concern in the past few months.

A fantastic season, with huge success both on and off the field. Let's hope we can keep hold of KH and see what he has in stall for 2017 and beyond.

I'm so glad to hear Mendez-Laing is signed up for next season - he's improved so much in the short time Hill's had him - he could be the Ace in our pack next season - potentially he could easily get the goals Matt Done got for us. I'm sure Hill will be doing something about left back but fair play to McNulty - he's been superb after a tricky start and that nightmare at Shrewsbury.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Just falling short again....... on 12:56 - May 6 with 2420 viewsJimmyRustler

I think the biggest signing we could make is a top quality destroyer to sit in front of the back four and give them protection. Dawson obviously did a great job but was injury prone and left for mlre £££ anyway so we couldn't have ever hung onto him.

Next priority for me is a striker. We don't actually have a goalscoring striker of any note on our books. Bunney is still learning, I don't really class Hendo as an out and out striker(although he can play there) and Calvin is hardly profilic. Players of this ilk are hardly a dime a dozen though.

Need another LB too and probably a RB.Looking very lightweight in those areas if we get any injuries. Half decent backups will do because Raff and Tanser are well capable at this level.
Just falling short again....... on 14:56 - May 6 with 2186 viewsdalestats

Squad assuming the 4 offered deals sign

GK

Lillis, Collis, Diba

Def

McNulty, Rafferty, Cannon, Eastham, Lancashire, Kennedy, (Canavan if he signs), Tanser

Mid

Lund, Allen, McDermott, Camps, Barry-Murphy,

Wingers/forwards

Henderson, Vincenti, Andrew, Alessandra, Mendez-Laing, Hooper, Bunney

With Hill saying he wants to sign as many as he’s released - where are the gaps?

Poll: Remain in the eu

Just falling short again....... on 15:03 - May 6 with 2161 viewsolympicdale

Just falling short again....... on 12:46 - May 6 by dingdangblue

I'm so glad to hear Mendez-Laing is signed up for next season - he's improved so much in the short time Hill's had him - he could be the Ace in our pack next season - potentially he could easily get the goals Matt Done got for us. I'm sure Hill will be doing something about left back but fair play to McNulty - he's been superb after a tricky start and that nightmare at Shrewsbury.

Really been impressed at how much McNulty has adapted to his role after a shaky start, although he played there for Barnsley so probably a case of getting used to it once more. With the release of Rose, i'd imagine Hill will want to bring in a LB/LWB to challenge Jim.

Life is a game of fate.

Just falling short again....... on 15:06 - May 6 with 2152 viewsolympicdale

Just falling short again....... on 12:56 - May 6 by JimmyRustler

I think the biggest signing we could make is a top quality destroyer to sit in front of the back four and give them protection. Dawson obviously did a great job but was injury prone and left for mlre £££ anyway so we couldn't have ever hung onto him.

Next priority for me is a striker. We don't actually have a goalscoring striker of any note on our books. Bunney is still learning, I don't really class Hendo as an out and out striker(although he can play there) and Calvin is hardly profilic. Players of this ilk are hardly a dime a dozen though.

Need another LB too and probably a RB.Looking very lightweight in those areas if we get any injuries. Half decent backups will do because Raff and Tanser are well capable at this level.

A striker who is experienced at lower league level is a must for next season, it could have been the difference between missing out and making the top 6 this season. With the club in such a strong position financially, perhaps this is the year to push the boat out and bring in a quality CF.

Life is a game of fate.

Just falling short again....... on 16:43 - May 6 with 1984 viewsMoonyDale

Depending on who signs from the players we have offered new deals to I would say we need at least 6 new faces for next season. One must be an out and out striker.....A strong midfielder in the Dawson mould.....Add 4 others to what we already have and we could see a push for the top 6......

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Login to get fewer ads

Just falling short again....... on 18:07 - May 6 with 1870 viewselliotthrafc

Just falling short again....... on 15:06 - May 6 by olympicdale

A striker who is experienced at lower league level is a must for next season, it could have been the difference between missing out and making the top 6 this season. With the club in such a strong position financially, perhaps this is the year to push the boat out and bring in a quality CF.

Do you think we should be giving Alessandra another chance? He knows the leagues pretty well, I think he deserves another go with the first team, we all know that he is an out and out CF?
Just falling short again....... on 18:35 - May 6 with 1826 views442Dale

What has been noticeable is the talk from within the club about falling short. Let it be noted that the playoffs were not the aim of many supporters, so if they should be in the future let's not hear talk about "unrealistic expectations" creating a disconnect...

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Just falling short again....... on 19:15 - May 6 with 1743 viewsdingdangblue

Just falling short again....... on 18:35 - May 6 by 442Dale

What has been noticeable is the talk from within the club about falling short. Let it be noted that the playoffs were not the aim of many supporters, so if they should be in the future let's not hear talk about "unrealistic expectations" creating a disconnect...

Obviously our 1st aim any season is getting to 50 points as soon as we can - however its pretty clear now from 3 seasons in league 1 under Hill we can make the play offs - its just working out how we are going to get those 5 or 6 extra points we are falling short each time.

Just falling short again....... on 19:18 - May 6 with 1734 views442Dale

Just falling short again....... on 19:15 - May 6 by dingdangblue

Obviously our 1st aim any season is getting to 50 points as soon as we can - however its pretty clear now from 3 seasons in league 1 under Hill we can make the play offs - its just working out how we are going to get those 5 or 6 extra points we are falling short each time.

I agree, it's that there is no pressure from supporters to achieve that, seemingly the pressure is greater elsewhere.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Just falling short again....... on 22:38 - May 6 with 1567 viewslyberoc

Perhaps not replacing an in form keeper with an untried loanee this season would have done it
Just falling short again....... on 22:50 - May 6 with 1542 viewsrobtheb

Loosing points to teams like Crewe are our downfall, should have beat them home and away, had we got 6 points instead of 1... who knows.
Just falling short again....... on 23:42 - May 6 with 1473 viewsdingdangblue

Just falling short again....... on 22:50 - May 6 by robtheb

Loosing points to teams like Crewe are our downfall, should have beat them home and away, had we got 6 points instead of 1... who knows.

Yes obviously I doubt many teams took just 1 point as against Crewe this season. The Gillingham home draw when we were winning and really should have got a 2nd is now looking key also. Had we held on that night we'd have been on 67 points ( we are still only on 66 two games later). The injury time penalty miss at Fleetwood came so late that thats 2 extra points we'd never get back. Obviously you can even these up with the late draw v Donny and the late winner at Cov. I think everyone knew we had to beat Gillingham though - you could tell the players knew it was over after that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024