Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oxford memories?? 15:31 - Sep 2 with 3124 viewsaleanddale

Anybody have any memories of games v oxford? Good or bad?

I remember being 3 or 4 nil up in the first half against them at Spotland a few years back... Might have been the season they were relegated to the conference...

They couldnt touch the ball and a more one sided game you will never see.. Can't remember the final score 5-0 probably.

Remember the oxford fans going mental at the players for basically giving up!!

Any one remember this game and the year? Scorers for Dale?

Edit just seen 2005 and basically the holt lambert show!! 4th Dale goal went in on 25 mins.... Game finished 5-1.

Greg Heald got our opener!!!!
[Post edited 2 Sep 2016 15:37]
Oxford memories?? on 15:45 - Sep 2 with 3105 viewsjudd

Holty scored a stunner against them at the former Spotland.

Remember getting bricked at half time at the first game at the Kassam. There were that many being thrown it was little wonder there were only 3 sides of the ground constructed!

Poll: What is it to be then?

Oxford memories?? on 15:48 - Sep 2 with 3093 viewsdingdangblue

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Oxford memories?? on 15:48 - Sep 2 with 3093 viewsAtThePeake

Holty scored one of his best goals for us in that game. Unbelievable control and turn in one touch and then a fine half-volleyed strike at the TDS end.

I remember their fans going mental when they scored pretending it was an important goal. I think we were already five up.

Tangled up in blue.

Oxford memories?? on 16:04 - Sep 2 with 3045 viewsSaxonDale

I remember being very excited by the prospects of Matt Doughty when he scored on his debut at the Kassam- don't think he scored again for us!
Oxford memories?? on 16:28 - Sep 2 with 2979 viewsTVOS1907

Oxford memories?? on 16:04 - Sep 2 by SaxonDale

I remember being very excited by the prospects of Matt Doughty when he scored on his debut at the Kassam- don't think he scored again for us!

He also scored in the FA Cup at Tamworth and in the wrong net at home to Bristol Rovers in January 2004.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Oxford memories?? on 16:31 - Sep 2 with 2969 viewswindowsbug

I remember my dad having a ticket for a seat that didn't exist.
Oxford memories?? on 16:49 - Sep 2 with 2933 viewsDevonDale

Remember that one well - first game of the season, first competitive match at the Kassam, bumper crowd (including 7 or 800 from Dale), numpties from Oxford charging the away end under the stand, bricks flying as we left the ground...oh and a 2-1win for Dale. Can't believe it was 15 years ago!
Oxford memories?? on 17:33 - Sep 2 with 2835 viewsfitzochris

Oxford memories?? on 16:49 - Sep 2 by DevonDale

Remember that one well - first game of the season, first competitive match at the Kassam, bumper crowd (including 7 or 800 from Dale), numpties from Oxford charging the away end under the stand, bricks flying as we left the ground...oh and a 2-1win for Dale. Can't believe it was 15 years ago!

The coach we were on got bricked on the way out of the ground, too. Still, the result kicked off what was to be a decent season for us.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Login to get fewer ads

Oxford memories?? on 17:49 - Sep 2 with 2803 viewsfermin

Oxford memories?? on 16:49 - Sep 2 by DevonDale

Living in Oxford I remember the patronising nonsense about us (and league 2) before and after the game in the local media. For example, playing in the Kassam was like a cup final for us because we were not used to playing in such big stadia and big crowds, how they would have to put up with all the poxy clubs in the league raising the game against one of the big boys and so on. The regular radio phone-in after the game was simultaneously hilarious and exasperating.

Previously I had been quite well disposed to them as the local league club with some great cup fighting traditions, excellent teams (Saunders/Aldridge etc) and knowing a few Oxford fans over the years obviously. However, that game and subsequent games soured that to the extent that I was glad when they got relegated to the Conference for a few years. However, times move on and I am back to being relatively indifferent towards them.

One thing I have noticed down here is that being the only league club in the county they get a lot of coverage in the local media - the daily paper has a page on them every day I think. Even in the Conference BBC Radio Oxford would have live commentary from every game, even midweek conference league cup games away at Barrow (or wherever). Such a contrast to our local media for obvious reasons.

That season we beat them 5-1 - didn't we beat them twice more (once in the cup) and they sacked the manager after each defeat? Bit of a hatrick for us! Graham Rix and a Spanish/Portuguese man were two of them I think.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2016 17:51]
Oxford memories?? on 18:08 - Sep 2 with 2754 viewsR17ALE

I remember buying a pint before a game there once and looking shocked when asked for about 4 quid. One of the locals sneered at me that I could buy a house up North for that.

Classy people!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Oxford memories?? on 19:03 - Sep 2 with 2643 viewsfermin

Oxford memories?? on 18:08 - Sep 2 by R17ALE

I remember buying a pint before a game there once and looking shocked when asked for about 4 quid. One of the locals sneered at me that I could buy a house up North for that.

Classy people!

I agree, but looking at it the other way round Oxford property prices are ridiculous:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/Oxford.html

Rochdale on the same site:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/Rochdale.html
Oxford memories?? on 22:37 - Sep 2 with 2343 viewsTVOS1907

Oxford memories?? on 17:49 - Sep 2 by fermin

Living in Oxford I remember the patronising nonsense about us (and league 2) before and after the game in the local media. For example, playing in the Kassam was like a cup final for us because we were not used to playing in such big stadia and big crowds, how they would have to put up with all the poxy clubs in the league raising the game against one of the big boys and so on. The regular radio phone-in after the game was simultaneously hilarious and exasperating.

Previously I had been quite well disposed to them as the local league club with some great cup fighting traditions, excellent teams (Saunders/Aldridge etc) and knowing a few Oxford fans over the years obviously. However, that game and subsequent games soured that to the extent that I was glad when they got relegated to the Conference for a few years. However, times move on and I am back to being relatively indifferent towards them.

One thing I have noticed down here is that being the only league club in the county they get a lot of coverage in the local media - the daily paper has a page on them every day I think. Even in the Conference BBC Radio Oxford would have live commentary from every game, even midweek conference league cup games away at Barrow (or wherever). Such a contrast to our local media for obvious reasons.

That season we beat them 5-1 - didn't we beat them twice more (once in the cup) and they sacked the manager after each defeat? Bit of a hatrick for us! Graham Rix and a Spanish/Portuguese man were two of them I think.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2016 17:51]

The FA Cup tie and first league game were on consecutive Saturdays in November.

I think they sacked Graham Rix after the cup tie and had a caretaker (Darren Patterson?) in charge for the league game the week after. No idea what happened to him.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Oxford memories?? on 23:52 - Sep 2 with 2274 viewsAtThePeake

Have a hazy memory of playing them last day of the season away in a dead rubber and losing 2-0?

Tangled up in blue.

Oxford memories?? on 04:57 - Sep 3 with 2202 viewsPorlicks

Seem to remember them playing Cambridge on a really waterlogged pitch towards the end of the season. Some guy called Cox was in charge? Little fella, but had them well organised.

Who are YOU with?

Oxford memories?? on 07:29 - Sep 3 with 2151 viewsleedsdale

Oxford memories?? on 23:52 - Sep 2 by AtThePeake

Have a hazy memory of playing them last day of the season away in a dead rubber and losing 2-0?

http://www.11v11.com/matches/oxford-united-v-rochdale-08-may-2004-20114/

I remember this one too: real end of season guff.
Oxford memories?? on 07:53 - Sep 3 with 2135 viewsColDale

Oxford memories?? on 23:52 - Sep 2 by AtThePeake

They've got the only Libertines inspired banner I've ever seen inside a Football Ground
Oxford memories?? on 08:00 - Sep 3 with 2133 viewsrochedale

Still haven't forgiven him for his slip in the play-off.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Oxford memories?? on 09:35 - Sep 3 with 2069 viewsMeanwood

Before they built the Kassam its said there had been either Gypsies living on the site, they put a curse on the ground to prevent the team winning when they were evicted. I think Oxford eventually got the Bishop in to do an exorcism.
they blamed the curse for our win, been a happy hunting ground over the years.
We used to park up the road under a flyover, in a pub car park have a couple of beers, then buy a raffle ticket for the meat draw and with it you got a free mini bus ride to and from the ground. can not believe that was 2001!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024