Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Saffers 1st Test 16:23 - Jul 6 with 2636 viewsTipperaryDale

How bloody good is Root? And how long will Cook last at the top of the order? 204-5, if we can get to 350 we have a decent shout.
England v Saffers 1st Test on 19:11 - Jul 6 with 2573 viewsD_Alien

We're there already with wickets to spare, thanks to Root and some insidious no-balling by SA

Root has a very long career still ahead of him, but already destined for all-time greatness and he won't be denied until his creaking joints give way

Cook's coming towards the end of a very good career, which I can't help but feel has fallen slightly short, although captaining a team that wins a series Down Under and scoring big double hundreds whilst doing so isn't to be sniffed at. I think he'll continue opening for England until another first choice opener emerges. Shame to see Hameed struggling at the moment after breaking a finger during the winter

[Post edited 6 Jul 2017 19:18]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England v Saffers 1st Test on 21:01 - Jul 6 with 2500 viewsTipperaryDale

Fantastic day's play after a dodgy start. SA look a bowler short at the minute, and they seemed to really tire and struggle in the field. A long hot slog. Root is simply class, he's already up there with Boycott, Gower, Hussain, and Cook for me.
England v Saffers 1st Test on 21:27 - Jul 6 with 2479 viewsmingthemerciless

We need the openers to chip in though. We can't keep being 3 down before we've got past 50.
England v Saffers 1st Test on 21:44 - Jul 6 with 2462 viewsNigeriamark

England v Saffers 1st Test on 21:27 - Jul 6 by mingthemerciless

We need the openers to chip in though. We can't keep being 3 down before we've got past 50.

Agree

In 18 months we have become a genuinely top teem in all 3 aspects of the game ( shame about the Champions trophy semi final meltdown). 2 years ago at less than 100 for 4 we would not have made 200. Yet we are achieving all of this with issues batting at 1-3. Imagine where we will be if we sort this out + bget a genuine quickie and a spinner. All round quality and team spirit has got us to where we are and we just need either a couple of new faces or for some under performers to step up

I still think if cook is still motivated he has another 2 - 3 years as a 50+ average opener. 2 & 3 still up for grabs, no clear obvious choice
England v Saffers 1st Test on 08:30 - Jul 7 with 2336 viewsaleanddale

Root is exceptional. Despite at least 2 let offs.

South Africa look a shadow of previous good sides. Ordinary even without De Villiers.

They went very flat very quickly yesterday let's hope we are still batting after lunch and then aggressively go after them.

There for the taking. ( I know you should watch both sides bat before such a call ) but this test is England's to lose.
England v Saffers 1st Test on 10:17 - Jul 7 with 2293 viewsAtThePeake

England v Saffers 1st Test on 19:11 - Jul 6 by D_Alien

We're there already with wickets to spare, thanks to Root and some insidious no-balling by SA

Root has a very long career still ahead of him, but already destined for all-time greatness and he won't be denied until his creaking joints give way

Cook's coming towards the end of a very good career, which I can't help but feel has fallen slightly short, although captaining a team that wins a series Down Under and scoring big double hundreds whilst doing so isn't to be sniffed at. I think he'll continue opening for England until another first choice opener emerges. Shame to see Hameed struggling at the moment after breaking a finger during the winter

[Post edited 6 Jul 2017 19:18]

Will be such a shame if we end up wondering what could have been with Hameed. Hopefully he can get back to his best soon as we definitely need someone to come in and be a real star at the top of the order.

I understand what you mean re: Cook falling slightly short, yet despite that he has scored 3,000 more test runs than any England player in history. I know we play more matches these days but that's still mightily impressive. Unfortunately I think I'll still remember him for being a frustratingly negative captain as much as probably the best England opener in my lifetime.

Tangled up in blue.

England v Saffers 1st Test on 10:34 - Jul 7 with 2272 viewsD_Alien

England v Saffers 1st Test on 10:17 - Jul 7 by AtThePeake

Will be such a shame if we end up wondering what could have been with Hameed. Hopefully he can get back to his best soon as we definitely need someone to come in and be a real star at the top of the order.

I understand what you mean re: Cook falling slightly short, yet despite that he has scored 3,000 more test runs than any England player in history. I know we play more matches these days but that's still mightily impressive. Unfortunately I think I'll still remember him for being a frustratingly negative captain as much as probably the best England opener in my lifetime.

That's exactly it. Cook stood on the verge of greatness with series wins in Australia and India and a batting average around 52

Then, whilst we were touring New Zealand, Brendon McCullum very astutely commented "he's like Bradman" - after which he could scarcely put a score together for a while. McCullum also showed the way to positive captaincy

His current average has fallen away to below 47, still very good but not match-defining. It'd be great for both England and himself if he could edge that (pun possibly intended) back towards 50!
[Post edited 8 Jul 2017 7:39]

England v Saffers 1st Test on 16:10 - Jul 9 with 2126 viewsColDale

Been a fantastic test match this. It's had everything. Might even get a finish tonight the way its going.
Login to get fewer ads

England v Saffers 1st Test on 16:30 - Jul 9 with 2101 viewsD_Alien

England v Saffers 1st Test on 16:10 - Jul 9 by ColDale

Been a fantastic test match this. It's had everything. Might even get a finish tonight the way its going.

Agreed, although injuries suspensions etc don't bode well for the rest of the series

Being bowled out has also done Root a favour in not having to make a decision on a declaration in his first match, might've been interesting to see if he'd taken the conservative option and batted beyond tea but he's done little wrong so far; a great start for him, in fact

England v Saffers 1st Test on 17:37 - Jul 9 with 2060 viewsmacro

The beard that is feared spins England to victory. Great start to Root’s captaincy
England v Saffers 1st Test on 12:04 - Jul 10 with 1913 viewsaleanddale

England v Saffers 1st Test on 17:37 - Jul 9 by macro

The beard that is feared spins England to victory. Great start to Root’s captaincy

Easy win in the end.

South Africa looked very ordinary for the larger parts of 4 days.

Roll on Friday!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024