Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Money talks 09:00 - Jul 9 with 4219 viewsmacro

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40505295

It shows how the days of getting a top premier league team to play a pre-season friendly are as good as gone. Money talks - West Ham v Man City in Iceland!

Arsenal/Chelsea/Everton/Man City/Man Utd/Tottenham/West Ham are playing no lower division clubs in friendlies - Liverpool are playing 2 but I reckon they’ll be u23 teams.
Money talks on 10:25 - Jul 9 with 3554 viewsboromat

It's a real shame you'd think they'd want to show support for the smaller local clubs.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Money talks on 12:25 - Jul 9 with 3433 viewsmingthemerciless

Best ever Rochdale performance I ever saw was in a friendly v Everton. They fielded their absolute first team -

West

Wright
Labone
Hurst
Brown

Kendall
Ball
Harvey
Morrissey

Whittle
Royle

What a game, both teams really went for it, it was a friendly in name only. Not many subs- if any and a great 4-3 result for the 'Dale. Everton must have been impressed with Steve Mellodew because they signed him shortly after.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2017 12:27]
Money talks on 12:57 - Jul 9 with 3393 viewsD_Alien

Money talks on 12:25 - Jul 9 by mingthemerciless

Best ever Rochdale performance I ever saw was in a friendly v Everton. They fielded their absolute first team -

West

Wright
Labone
Hurst
Brown

Kendall
Ball
Harvey
Morrissey

Whittle
Royle

What a game, both teams really went for it, it was a friendly in name only. Not many subs- if any and a great 4-3 result for the 'Dale. Everton must have been impressed with Steve Mellodew because they signed him shortly after.

Great game that, on a sunny evening before we started our campaign following promotion. Everton won the League title in 69/70, supplying several players for the 1970 World Cup squad

Their manager, Harry Catterick, managed Dale between 1953-58

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Money talks on 21:24 - Jul 10 with 2993 viewskiwidale

Money talks on 12:25 - Jul 9 by mingthemerciless

West

Wright
Labone
Hurst
Brown

Kendall
Ball
Harvey
Morrissey

Whittle
Royle

agreed a very special memory for me. we played Evertons first team who had just won the div 1 champion title, Dale not only won the game 4-3 but more than matched them across the pitch my specific memory of the game was Steve Mellowdew who completely dominated Brian Labone and as has already been mentioned earned himself a transfer to Everton based on that performance.

p/s can anybody name the dale team that played that night? my guess it would have been Harker Smith Ryder Ashworth Parry Downes Rudd Jenkins Buck Whitehead Butler

This is not the time for bickering.

Money talks on 22:15 - Jul 10 with 2895 viewspioneer

Money talks on 21:24 - Jul 10 by kiwidale

agreed a very special memory for me. we played Evertons first team who had just won the div 1 champion title, Dale not only won the game 4-3 but more than matched them across the pitch my specific memory of the game was Steve Mellowdew who completely dominated Brian Labone and as has already been mentioned earned himself a transfer to Everton based on that performance.

p/s can anybody name the dale team that played that night? my guess it would have been Harker Smith Ryder Ashworth Parry Downes Rudd Jenkins Buck Whitehead Butler

Everton were not reigning champions but went on to win the title in 1969.70. Leeds won the title in 1968-69.
Money talks on 22:39 - Jul 10 with 2861 viewsmingthemerciless

I think you're right apart from Reg Jenkins. I don't recall him playing in that game and obviously Mellodew played. I think it was Tony Buck and Mellodew up front.
Money talks on 01:20 - Jul 11 with 2715 viewspioneer

harker, smith ryder, downes, parry, ashworth,whitehead rudd buck melledew, butler with Dave Cross as sub
Money talks on 08:01 - Jul 11 with 2595 viewsDiddyDave

Money talks on 22:15 - Jul 10 by pioneer

Everton were not reigning champions but went on to win the title in 1969.70. Leeds won the title in 1968-69.

Yes,you are right,I too thought Everton won the First Division title in 1968/69. I now think it was a promise made by Harry Catterick to Dale,having secured promotion, that he would bring his best Everton side seeing as he was manager of Dale in the fifties. It was a cracking game,Everton certainly knew they were in a game,but Dale had a great side and scored some wonderful goals that balmy night. I think we went on to wallop Owdum 5-1 in the Rose Bowl a few days later before slumping to a 3-0 home defeat by (Leyton) Orient in the first game of the new season. A stunning reality check that was,though Orient had a good side and topped the Third Division comfortably that 1969/70 season.
Login to get fewer ads

Money talks on 11:42 - Jul 11 with 2455 viewsdownunder

Going off at a tangent, I was informed Steve Melledew was sold for 15K, with a further 15K if he played 20 games. He was Joe Royle's "understudy", and quite successful in the Reserve team. I think I read something once along the lines of...
An injury to Royle occurred not after Melledew had scored 5 goals in a reserve team game. The coach put him in the first team, Catterick said no, if he gets in and does OK, I will have to keep Royle out of the team, and pay Rochdale 15k. Melledew left for Aldershot not long after that. I am sure we have a work colleague/friend of Melledew posting on here.
Can anyone verify?
[Post edited 11 Jul 2017 11:50]
Money talks on 12:00 - Jul 11 with 2421 viewsHopwoodblue

Was it not the Lancashire Cup final ? All be it still classed as a friendly,
I was stood in the paddock next to where are the players came out.
It was unbeliveble to see an actual World Cup winner in Alan Ball playing at Spotland.
Definitely a special night.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2017 12:01]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Money talks on 12:04 - Jul 11 with 2405 viewsHopwoodblue

Anyone remember Alan Balls white boots with the studs that spun round ?
Ok till they got full of mud !

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Money talks on 13:27 - Jul 11 with 2297 viewsmingthemerciless

Money talks on 08:01 - Jul 11 by DiddyDave

Yes,you are right,I too thought Everton won the First Division title in 1968/69. I now think it was a promise made by Harry Catterick to Dale,having secured promotion, that he would bring his best Everton side seeing as he was manager of Dale in the fifties. It was a cracking game,Everton certainly knew they were in a game,but Dale had a great side and scored some wonderful goals that balmy night. I think we went on to wallop Owdum 5-1 in the Rose Bowl a few days later before slumping to a 3-0 home defeat by (Leyton) Orient in the first game of the new season. A stunning reality check that was,though Orient had a good side and topped the Third Division comfortably that 1969/70 season.

I was at all those games. Orient were a really good side with a few young players who later played top level football. Dennis Rofe, the left back later played for Leicester City and Tommy Taylor the centre half moved to a West Ham for big money. I knew Rofe was destined for bigger and better things when he completely blotted Norman Whitehead out of the game yet still found time to make one of the goals with a length of the pitch run.

That 'Dale team played some great passing football. None of the midfield were much above 5' 8" but they could play football no problem.
Money talks on 13:33 - Jul 11 with 2280 viewsmingthemerciless

Money talks on 12:04 - Jul 11 by Hopwoodblue

Anyone remember Alan Balls white boots with the studs that spun round ?
Ok till they got full of mud !

The boots were made by " Hummel " . The story goes that he actually wore " Adidas " boots painted white because the " Hummel " boots weren't very good, although they paid Ball well to wear them.
Money talks on 13:34 - Jul 11 with 2277 viewsD_Alien

Money talks on 13:27 - Jul 11 by mingthemerciless

I was at all those games. Orient were a really good side with a few young players who later played top level football. Dennis Rofe, the left back later played for Leicester City and Tommy Taylor the centre half moved to a West Ham for big money. I knew Rofe was destined for bigger and better things when he completely blotted Norman Whitehead out of the game yet still found time to make one of the goals with a length of the pitch run.

That 'Dale team played some great passing football. None of the midfield were much above 5' 8" but they could play football no problem.

The 0-3 against Orient was a reality check, but the reality turned out to be we headed the table within the space of a couple of months and finished in our highest pre-Hill position

I remember leaving the Orient game though and thinking "jeez, if that's the standard we're stuffed!"

Money talks on 13:42 - Jul 11 with 2263 viewspioneer

Money talks on 12:00 - Jul 11 by Hopwoodblue

Was it not the Lancashire Cup final ? All be it still classed as a friendly,
I was stood in the paddock next to where are the players came out.
It was unbeliveble to see an actual World Cup winner in Alan Ball playing at Spotland.
Definitely a special night.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2017 12:01]

No, it was a friendly.

Lancashire Cup final was at end of 1970-71 season ( a season of very successful cup exploits) when we beat Oldham in the final at Spotland in front of a big crowd. We played the first team in most Lancs Cup games in that era.

Incidentally Steve Melledew played for Everton at Spotland in the Lancashire Senior Cup tie that season. He got a great reception and of course later rejoined the Dale and was appointed captain after his exploits at Aldershot.

I would find it hard to believe the 'rumour' on the other post about Catterick holding back Melledew for the small matter of 15 grand. Everton were one of the richest clubs in the league around then.
Money talks on 18:33 - Jul 11 with 2083 viewsAlexF

Agreed on Melle, I think he was just unlucky landing at Everton at the same time as Joe Royle. Regarding the comment about World Cup winners at spotland, does anyone remember Bobby Moore playing for Fulham? He scored the most spectacular own goal I've ever seen. Like an arrow in the top corner from the edge of the box. It was met with laughter rather than a cheer! 😂
Money talks on 22:31 - Jul 11 with 1903 viewsmingthemerciless

Money talks on 18:33 - Jul 11 by AlexF

Agreed on Melle, I think he was just unlucky landing at Everton at the same time as Joe Royle. Regarding the comment about World Cup winners at spotland, does anyone remember Bobby Moore playing for Fulham? He scored the most spectacular own goal I've ever seen. Like an arrow in the top corner from the edge of the box. It was met with laughter rather than a cheer! 😂

I'm pretty sure Bobby Moore never played for Fulham at Spotland. I do remember Fulham's England former World Cup captain Johnny Haynes firing a shot from distance into the top corner of the 'Dales net at the Church Inn end. It was on a really icy pitch but Haynes made the shot look ridiculously easy. Maybe this is the incident you're thinking of. The game was called off at half time, the score at 2-2 I think.
Money talks on 23:53 - Jul 11 with 1837 viewsDiddyDave

Money talks on 13:34 - Jul 11 by D_Alien

The 0-3 against Orient was a reality check, but the reality turned out to be we headed the table within the space of a couple of months and finished in our highest pre-Hill position

I remember leaving the Orient game though and thinking "jeez, if that's the standard we're stuffed!"

Dale won 2-1 at Mansfield on a Tuesday night,mid October,to go top of the league,but lost the next Saturday and never reached the dizzy heights again,finishing a very respectable 9th on goal difference above three or four other teams on the same points.
Orient also had Peter Brabrook on the right wing having just signed him from West Ham or Chelsea,I just forget which,but they were streets ahead of Dale that lovely Saturday afternoon.
Money talks on 05:16 - Jul 12 with 1800 viewsdownunder

Money talks on 13:42 - Jul 11 by pioneer

No, it was a friendly.

Lancashire Cup final was at end of 1970-71 season ( a season of very successful cup exploits) when we beat Oldham in the final at Spotland in front of a big crowd. We played the first team in most Lancs Cup games in that era.

Incidentally Steve Melledew played for Everton at Spotland in the Lancashire Senior Cup tie that season. He got a great reception and of course later rejoined the Dale and was appointed captain after his exploits at Aldershot.

I would find it hard to believe the 'rumour' on the other post about Catterick holding back Melledew for the small matter of 15 grand. Everton were one of the richest clubs in the league around then.

It must have been Steve's cousin that told me the story. Always wondered how much was true, exaggerated, whatever.
Money talks on 06:13 - Jul 12 with 1790 viewsDiddyDave

As far as I can recall,Melledew played one game for Everton as a substitute,against who, I don`t know. I think he played for Whipp & Bourne in the Rochdale Amateur League and also for them in those five a side games they had at Broadwater Youth Club in the sixties. Ming and Pioneer might recall those days,there were some good players in that,George Barlow and John (Bunny) Harvey springing to mind. Great days.
Money talks on 07:57 - Jul 12 with 1741 viewsmingthemerciless

Yeah Steve played up front for Whipp & Bourne with a striker called Joe Heywood. Trevor Tuck, Jimmy McCarthy, Alex Maxwell, John Cullen, Stevie Wild were also names I remember from that team.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2017 7:59]
Money talks on 09:35 - Jul 12 with 1688 viewsD_Alien

Money talks on 22:31 - Jul 11 by mingthemerciless

I'm pretty sure Bobby Moore never played for Fulham at Spotland. I do remember Fulham's England former World Cup captain Johnny Haynes firing a shot from distance into the top corner of the 'Dales net at the Church Inn end. It was on a really icy pitch but Haynes made the shot look ridiculously easy. Maybe this is the incident you're thinking of. The game was called off at half time, the score at 2-2 I think.

I'm pretty sure Moore never played at Spotland either (as it was then!) and you're right about the Johnny Haynes goal, an absolute cracker that left some oldtimers with tears in their eyes. Both Dale goals were scored by Hughie Riley, but I think the game was abandoned during the second half when a snowstorm arrived, on top of the icy pitch

Money talks on 09:43 - Jul 12 with 1673 viewsDiddyDave

Money talks on 07:57 - Jul 12 by mingthemerciless

Yeah Steve played up front for Whipp & Bourne with a striker called Joe Heywood. Trevor Tuck, Jimmy McCarthy, Alex Maxwell, John Cullen, Stevie Wild were also names I remember from that team.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2017 7:59]

Alex Maxwell was the goalie,he came down from Scotland when Whipps closed their factory in Airdrie mid sixties. That Stevie Wild you mentioned,was that the one who they called Billy,a small lad,very talented,who played in the forwards? He used to go to Broadwater YC as well.
Money talks on 09:46 - Jul 12 with 1672 viewsmingthemerciless

Money talks on 09:35 - Jul 12 by D_Alien

I'm pretty sure Moore never played at Spotland either (as it was then!) and you're right about the Johnny Haynes goal, an absolute cracker that left some oldtimers with tears in their eyes. Both Dale goals were scored by Hughie Riley, but I think the game was abandoned during the second half when a snowstorm arrived, on top of the icy pitch

I don't remember the snow storm but the pitch was getting more and more dangerous as the first half went on.

What I do remember was a group of about 6 or 7 Fulham fans stood in front of me on the Sandy Lane End terrace. No segregation then, you could stand where you wanted. I had a great long distance view of the Haynes goal going into the top corner. They were just in a bunch talking and not really watching the game at all. When they heard the muted roar for the goal they had to ask me who had scored !

I thought it was bizarre to travel a long way to a game and then not bother watching the game.

Incidentally I read that Fulham won the replayed game I-0 at the end of a successful season for them. I don't recall going to that one.
Money talks on 09:51 - Jul 12 with 1665 viewsmingthemerciless

Money talks on 09:43 - Jul 12 by DiddyDave

Alex Maxwell was the goalie,he came down from Scotland when Whipps closed their factory in Airdrie mid sixties. That Stevie Wild you mentioned,was that the one who they called Billy,a small lad,very talented,who played in the forwards? He used to go to Broadwater YC as well.

Alex Maxwell was also an outfield player. Jimmy McCarthy ( the flying pig ) was the goalkeeper most of the time. Over his work bench he had a long spike sticking out with hundreds of betting slips impaled on it. Above the spike was a sign saying " Mistakes I Have Made ".

Stevie was a great 4 or 5 a side player, very skilful. He was less effective on a full sized pitch when he tended to get knocked about a bit on account of his size. He'd be fine in today's football.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2017 9:53]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024