Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! 23:41 - Jan 16 with 3137 viewsR17ALE

Donnelly was shit. Ran around a bit and gained great support from many on here laudably.

But he was bloody rubbish, yet when he was ours we sort of willed him to do better, but it was never going to happen.

Calvin meanwhile is twice the player. Although limited in skill, he has many attributes that equal a good player. And his recent interview demonstrates that he's a good lad around the club.

The question is: why did Donnelly get more support on here than Calvin does today?

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 23:45 - Jan 16 with 3122 viewsolympicdale

Donnelly was good at running around like a blue arsed fly, which got him a lot of support, that's not Andrews style.

Life is a game of fate.

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 23:58 - Jan 16 with 3103 viewsD_Alien

Not so much a Dale trivia question, as a Why are so many Daley's trivial question.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 00:42 - Jan 17 with 3042 views442Dale

For some reason he was treated with bizarre affection from early on. Some of it was due to the twitter explosion at the time as he became one of the first Dale players who'd reply to or retweet fans. It gained him a unique notoriety, especially when tweets would appear so soon after games. It made some forget how laughably bad he was at grasping the fundamentals of game knowledge.

Then there was the fact people kept calling him "George". That was really weird.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 01:12 - Jan 17 with 3017 viewsMIlnrowdale

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 00:42 - Jan 17 by 442Dale

For some reason he was treated with bizarre affection from early on. Some of it was due to the twitter explosion at the time as he became one of the first Dale players who'd reply to or retweet fans. It gained him a unique notoriety, especially when tweets would appear so soon after games. It made some forget how laughably bad he was at grasping the fundamentals of game knowledge.

Then there was the fact people kept calling him "George". That was really weird.

Both bad, but would much rather have Andrews than Donnelly, he does at least bag one every now and then
A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 01:19 - Jan 17 with 3009 viewsSandyman

Yes
A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 08:51 - Jan 17 with 2858 viewsChaffRAFC

I've always put it down to the fact he ran around a lot. Carlos Tevez was treated the same at Manchester United. He was adored by the Old Trafford faithful while Dimitar Berbatov, who is easily twice the player Tevez is, was disliked because he didn't run around like an idiot. In fact I'll bet you Berbatov's goals per game ratio was better than Tevez's but to the blind, one was great because he ran around, one was lazy.

George ran around a lot and put loads of effort in, while Calvin's goal record is even worse than Donnelly's. Personally, I'm not a fan of either!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 09:29 - Jan 17 with 2787 viewsD_Dale

GD joined a not very good, recently relegated, squad. Expectations were not high. In the 2012-13 season Dale relied a lot on Bobby Grant's 15 league goals, though the fans never really warmed to Bobby. Likewise Ashley Grimes (10 league goals) and Andrew Tutte (7). That season we also had low-scoring forwards in Adebola and Gornell.

So in comparison GD didn't look so bad, and as noted he tried hard and was thought to give Grant some space to work in. His 8 goals (in 26 starts plus 17 as sub) were useful, and one or two were actually rather well taken.

GD was just 24 when he was signed and had scored 20-odd goals, so there were hopes he'd improve. Calvin Andrew was 27 when he joined a newly promoted team, and had scored 13 goals in 10 years for 9 clubs ...
A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 09:34 - Jan 17 with 2766 viewsDaley_Lama

George Donnelly could be the next Grant Holt. #Suttyism

Poll: DF in or out

Login to get fewer ads

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 09:56 - Jan 17 with 2724 viewsD_Alien

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 08:51 - Jan 17 by ChaffRAFC

I've always put it down to the fact he ran around a lot. Carlos Tevez was treated the same at Manchester United. He was adored by the Old Trafford faithful while Dimitar Berbatov, who is easily twice the player Tevez is, was disliked because he didn't run around like an idiot. In fact I'll bet you Berbatov's goals per game ratio was better than Tevez's but to the blind, one was great because he ran around, one was lazy.

George ran around a lot and put loads of effort in, while Calvin's goal record is even worse than Donnelly's. Personally, I'm not a fan of either!

Tevez 19 in 63 appearances for Utd (0.30 per game)

Berbatov 48 in 108 (0.44 - half as good again as Tevez)

So you're absolutely right, and those Berbatov stats are pretty good by any standard

[Post edited 17 Jan 2015 10:00]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 09:58 - Jan 17 with 2711 viewsColDale

I think any affection towards George came after he got started getting stick and was in many ways a reaction to that. I think many fans will back a player if he is unfairly getting stick. And for all George being dogshit, there were games were some fans were just waiting for him to make a mistake to give him grief. We've seen it with Thompson, Cav, Elding and many others.
A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 10:59 - Jan 17 with 2626 viewsYorkshire_Dale

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 00:42 - Jan 17 by 442Dale

#dogshit=bury.
A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 11:19 - Jan 17 with 2569 viewsRooleyblue

Staying on the dog theme,
I think you could liken Donnelly to a runt of the litter who you wanted to get better but just ran around chasing the ball like a mad dog and made you laugh and if he got it you would say well done George and pat him.
Andrew on the other hand is like any other dog of the litter who you have no idea of his capabilities however you expect him to get the ball, so its no pat on the head when he gets it, the pat only comes if he does something good with it and if he doesn't its bad dog.
The expectation is the difference.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2015 11:19]
A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 11:21 - Jan 17 with 2560 viewsAtThePeake

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 08:51 - Jan 17 by ChaffRAFC

I remember going to a Utd game once during that period and a mate telling me that the only reason Tevez ran around a lot was because he had to chase after his misplaced passes - Berba never had to chase the ball because he never lost it.

He was good at Spurs an all.

Tangled up in blue.

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 12:09 - Jan 17 with 2474 viewsaleanddale

100% comes down to the effort - or perceived effort shown.

You can accept a players limitations more when you can see they are 100% gunning for the team.

Calvin is more laid back and when he jumps for a header you couldn't slide the rochdale observer under his feet!!

Want him to build on last weeks performance and another winner today would be good!!
A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 13:45 - Jan 17 with 2351 viewsNigeriamark

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 12:09 - Jan 17 by aleanddale

100% comes down to the effort - or perceived effort shown.

You can accept a players limitations more when you can see they are 100% gunning for the team.

Calvin is more laid back and when he jumps for a header you couldn't slide the rochdale observer under his feet!!

Want him to build on last weeks performance and another winner today would be good!!

None ca say that GD did not get a fair number of games and runs in the team over 2 years and didn't make the grade. Not saying Andrews will turn out OK but he has not had a sustained run in the team as a starter. I would be tempted to start him today i as his confidence must be high at the moment after last weeks cameo
A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 13:47 - Jan 17 with 2349 viewsRosun

I think it's all to do with Hilly's favourite word ... Expectations.
George looked like a reject from The Dog & Duck pub team so expectations were low. Calvin looks like the real deal, superb physique, great first touch, awareness of other players etc. It's just that he's got more yellow cards than goals throughout his career.
Our style doesn't lend itself to his natural game which showed when Hendo & Done were injured / suspended earlier in the season.
A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 15:16 - Jan 17 with 2254 viewsDevonDale

Donnelly Whose just scored for Tranmere, are we talking about?
A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 15:19 - Jan 17 with 2251 viewsSalwaDale

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 15:16 - Jan 17 by DevonDale

Donnelly Whose just scored for Tranmere, are we talking about?

No. That is Rory Donnelly

TBBT

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 17:22 - Jan 17 with 2133 views442Dale

Today illustrated why watching Andrew is so much easier than watching Donnelly. One thinks like a footballer, the other can't.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 09:31 - Jan 18 with 1846 viewsfunkkk

A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 09:56 - Jan 17 by D_Alien

Tevez 19 in 63 appearances for Utd (0.30 per game)

Berbatov 48 in 108 (0.44 - half as good again as Tevez)

So you're absolutely right, and those Berbatov stats are pretty good by any standard

[Post edited 17 Jan 2015 10:00]

If we count all competitive appearances they both averaged roughly 1 in 3. If CA manages that I'll be delighted!
A Dale trivia question no-one can answer! on 16:46 - Jan 18 with 1735 viewsaleanddale

Looks like tranmere finally signed the right Donnelly.

He was sold as seen there are no refunds available here!!

Rory looks some player TBF.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024