Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quite surprised at the levels of despair 07:35 - Dec 14 with 4429 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

I haven't seen us play since the 8th August and have to resort to post-match reports, online highlights and when I need a dose of conjecture, the messageboard :-)

The data says we're OK (6 points from relegation places, 7 from promotion places) with just shy of half our league games played. 2 wins, 4 defeats and 4 draws in the last 10 is indifferent form but this isn't the first time we've wobbled. Every team will hit a dip in form during the season...better now than March/April. Isn't form only ever temporary??

Hill's selections have been classed as 'baffling' by a few folk. I've always found the guy a bit baffling over the years...a couple of selections here and there, most of his comments week on week...but he hasn't become a bad Manager all of a sudden. I'd trust him to steer us to a better place over almost all others waiting on the dole for another crack at Management.

His win ratio is only marginally below (around 0.5%) his first spell at the club.

We've done exceedingly well with this man at the helm, he's brought in some great players, achieved things I did not bank on in the early days of watching Dale. I don't think we, as fans of a club that has failed to achieve any positive notoriety over the best part of 110 years, should be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Did we truly expect it to be all plain sailing?!

No one is beyond reasonable criticism. Some recent criticism is well beyond reason.

PS, I always enjoyed Sport Billy...one of the lesser known cartoons.
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 08:51 - Dec 14 with 3099 viewsDaley_Lama

It's terrible Albert, I've never seen it so bad.

Beat Colchester on Sat however and all will be well once more.

Poll: DF in or out

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 08:57 - Dec 14 with 3089 viewsJimmyRustler

If you haven't seen us play since 8th August then what you say really doesn't have any substance tbh and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

All of the [serious] criticism has been justified and well within reason.

I would go as far to say that literally all of the more laughable posts on here are from people that you wouldn't sell your last out of date turnip to.
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 09:14 - Dec 14 with 3065 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 08:57 - Dec 14 by JimmyRustler

If you haven't seen us play since 8th August then what you say really doesn't have any substance tbh and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

I would go as far to say that literally all of the more laughable posts on here are from people that you wouldn't sell your last out of date turnip to.

I don't think my comments on the current league position and recent results, Hill's team successes on the pitch, in the transfer market, his overall record as a Manager, the lack of consistent success before his time...is without foundation...regardless of the games I have not seen.
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 09:22 - Dec 14 with 3053 viewsDaley_Lama

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 08:57 - Dec 14 by JimmyRustler

If you haven't seen us play since 12/12/15 then your criticism too is bunkum, Jimmy.

To be honest, I could put that date as 1/1/0001 and it would still ring true.

Keep your chin up Albert, as with every other football message board known to man, this place is prone to large swings in emotions with the doomsdayers and apocalyptic souls clambering over themselves when things are not as peachy as peachy can be.

Based on Saturday, I personally would be more worried if I was a Swindon fan, despite the result.

Poll: DF in or out

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 09:54 - Dec 14 with 2989 viewsJimmyRustler

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 09:22 - Dec 14 by Daley_Lama

If you haven't seen us play since 12/12/15 then your criticism too is bunkum, Jimmy.

To be honest, I could put that date as 1/1/0001 and it would still ring true.

Keep your chin up Albert, as with every other football message board known to man, this place is prone to large swings in emotions with the doomsdayers and apocalyptic souls clambering over themselves when things are not as peachy as peachy can be.

Based on Saturday, I personally would be more worried if I was a Swindon fan, despite the result.

No that's not true. A hell of a lot has happened/changed since Albert last saw us play so his perspective is completely different.

As for Swindon being more worried, they scraped a win whilst not at their best and are on a good run of form. They've had both a player and manager nominated for monthly awards and are still well and truly in the middle of a honeymoon period with a new manager who is considered a club legend down them parts.

Yeah I'd be really worried if I was them.
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 10:32 - Dec 14 with 2937 viewsJimmyRustler

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 09:14 - Dec 14 by Albert_Whitehurst

I don't think my comments on the current league position and recent results, Hill's team successes on the pitch, in the transfer market, his overall record as a Manager, the lack of consistent success before his time...is without foundation...regardless of the games I have not seen.

Yeah but it's already been said many times on here recently that the current league position and perhaps even the results in isolation aren't really the issue.

The whole argument regarding how well he's faired in the past has also been done to death. It's impossible to forget what he's done for the club but at the same time, he's being judged and critiqued on his current competence and decision making.

Some people seem to think that citing his success is an automatic rebuttal of most of the arguments being presented on here but that just isn't the case.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2015 10:33]
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 10:41 - Dec 14 with 2919 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 10:32 - Dec 14 by JimmyRustler

Yeah but it's already been said many times on here recently that the current league position and perhaps even the results in isolation aren't really the issue.

The whole argument regarding how well he's faired in the past has also been done to death. It's impossible to forget what he's done for the club but at the same time, he's being judged and critiqued on his current competence and decision making.

Some people seem to think that citing his success is an automatic rebuttal of most of the arguments being presented on here but that just isn't the case.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2015 10:33]

Probably, however that was not my original point (the one you shot down that is).
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 10:52 - Dec 14 with 2896 viewsJimmyRustler

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 10:41 - Dec 14 by Albert_Whitehurst

Probably, however that was not my original point (the one you shot down that is).

Your original point seemed to indicate that you think that there's a bit of an overreaction owing to the things you originally cited.

There might well be some truth in that statement however I'm not sure it's because of the things you mentioned. Also, when you preface the post with 'I haven't seen Dale play since August 8th', it's difficult cause you're almost giving the perspective of someone from the outside looking in (I suspect those sorta people would say exactly the same thing you've said).

I honestly feel like if you'd been to a large majority of the games you'd understand some of the grumblings. Not knocking you for not going like, just saying..
[Post edited 14 Dec 2015 10:53]
Login to get fewer ads

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 11:08 - Dec 14 with 2871 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 10:52 - Dec 14 by JimmyRustler

Your original point seemed to indicate that you think that there's a bit of an overreaction owing to the things you originally cited.

There might well be some truth in that statement however I'm not sure it's because of the things you mentioned. Also, when you preface the post with 'I haven't seen Dale play since August 8th', it's difficult cause you're almost giving the perspective of someone from the outside looking in (I suspect those sorta people would say exactly the same thing you've said).

I honestly feel like if you'd been to a large majority of the games you'd understand some of the grumblings. Not knocking you for not going like, just saying..
[Post edited 14 Dec 2015 10:53]

The preface certainly does suggest outside looking in so I can rely only on the cold hard data. The data says we're doing OK only, indifferent form. Nothing contentious there. Panic and despair....we're not even at Chrismtas.

Calling for the head of the Manager is OTT on that basis. The person best placed to turn it around on the basis of record is the very same Manager. Although I do hear Paul Ince is available.....

Feel free to knock me for not going by all means.
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 11:13 - Dec 14 with 2859 viewsrod_leach

I've seen loads of games this year and agree with Albert. I'll be happy with 5th bottom to be honest. Maybe that makes me easily pleased. I wonder if bury's relative success so far has made a few of us question our financial plans? For an extra how many million (three or more?) they have 6 more points. I'd rather do it our way. It's still frustrating when we clearly need a striker but I'm relatively happy with things.
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 11:26 - Dec 14 with 2837 viewsJimmyRustler

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 11:08 - Dec 14 by Albert_Whitehurst

The preface certainly does suggest outside looking in so I can rely only on the cold hard data. The data says we're doing OK only, indifferent form. Nothing contentious there. Panic and despair....we're not even at Chrismtas.

Calling for the head of the Manager is OTT on that basis. The person best placed to turn it around on the basis of record is the very same Manager. Although I do hear Paul Ince is available.....

There isn't a serious poster on here that's called for his head though. If there was, I too would deem that as an overreaction. KH is definitely the man to take us forward but he needs to get his shit together. Everything that he's embodied as a coach whilst with us seems have gone out of the window at the moment. The football is shite and this no fear/aim higher mentality he brought to the club seems to have been binned by the man himself.

Can't knock you for not going. Never can and never would. I'm sure you've seen your fair share in your time.
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 11:31 - Dec 14 with 2828 viewsTVOS1907

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 11:08 - Dec 14 by Albert_Whitehurst

Tbf the only people calling for the manager's head are wind-up merchants.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 12:03 - Dec 14 with 2778 viewsTalkingSutty

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 11:31 - Dec 14 by TVOS1907

Tbf the only people calling for the manager's head are wind-up merchants.

Correct, nobody seriously is calling for the managers head. The criticism stems from his media comments and his suggestion that we should see particular games as a free hit, or constantly talking the Club down giving everybody the feeling that we aren't worthy to be in this league.

Talking the opposition up to such a extent that our players must think they are facing Barcelona in disguise, when really it's a bunch of pie eaters from down the road. Attempting to persuade the supporters black is white, or not red in this weekends latest interview. It's nothing to do with his managerial credentials, more his arrogant attitude.

Settling for league one survival instead of aiming for the stars is also a turn off for some fans and it's reflected in the quality of the squad, we are watching players now who wouldn't have been anywhere near the team a couple of years ago. Players who struggle to even get fit and stay fit and a general acceptance from the manager that we have no right to compete with certain teams in this league. The players look absolutely bored stiff, similar to a lot of the supporters.

The forum posts are just responding to his bizzare comments or gobbledygook, whatever you want to call them.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2015 12:17]
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 12:35 - Dec 14 with 2699 viewsalderleydale

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 12:03 - Dec 14 by TalkingSutty

Correct, nobody seriously is calling for the managers head. The criticism stems from his media comments and his suggestion that we should see particular games as a free hit, or constantly talking the Club down giving everybody the feeling that we aren't worthy to be in this league.

Talking the opposition up to such a extent that our players must think they are facing Barcelona in disguise, when really it's a bunch of pie eaters from down the road. Attempting to persuade the supporters black is white, or not red in this weekends latest interview. It's nothing to do with his managerial credentials, more his arrogant attitude.

Settling for league one survival instead of aiming for the stars is also a turn off for some fans and it's reflected in the quality of the squad, we are watching players now who wouldn't have been anywhere near the team a couple of years ago. Players who struggle to even get fit and stay fit and a general acceptance from the manager that we have no right to compete with certain teams in this league. The players look absolutely bored stiff, similar to a lot of the supporters.

The forum posts are just responding to his bizzare comments or gobbledygook, whatever you want to call them.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2015 12:17]

As ever Sutty a superb post

Sums it up fantastically well
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 12:50 - Dec 14 with 2650 viewslurker

I always like to think that one of these negative threads could be this year's "The Slump Starts Here"
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 13:42 - Dec 14 with 2560 viewsTalkingSutty

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 12:35 - Dec 14 by alderleydale

As ever Sutty a superb post

Sums it up fantastically well

Thanks for your comments but it doesn't bring any pleasure having to compile these type of posts. I can't excuse Hilly for his bloody daft comments so i won't even attempt, i don't think he can change anyway. To be fair to the guy though I do think he is working to a blueprint that's been devised by the Chairman and Directors and involves a bigger end goal.

Operating to a minimum playing budget and maybe producing a end of season surplus, whilst securing League One survival would suit all parties, particularly if we are really serious about purchasing the Stadium. Most managers wouldn't be compliant to those terms unless there was a financial reward at the end, so perhaps there is a sweetener there for Hilly also, otherwise there's no incentive for the manager. Basically, the brakes have been applied on any further progression and we are making do with what we have with no investment in the playing side. Not many managers would put up with that.

There is a downside to all this though.Contrary to popular belief, players aren't daft, especially the senior ones and can see the squad isn't being improved which in turn puts extra pressure on them to perform, as a result they have been rewarded with new contracts.The bulk of the squad is made up of young kids, below average players and those who always seem to struggle with injuries. The teams only motivation is to stay in the league, they are fully aware that the Chairman and the manager have no intention of taking the Club any further, I think this is why we are getting so many flat performances, winners don't settle for second best.

God bless Hilly, he's done his best to dumb down supporters expectations, probably knowing full well that the standard of football will drop in order to hit the budget target but this is where it all falls down. The fans pay a lot of money to attend the game and expect to see fight, urgency, skill but more than anything progression. Progression as a squad of players,not necessarily just results based. Good players haven't been replaced and Hills famous comment 'We have ready made replacements' really was a big own goal, some saw it as a insult to their intelligence.

It's a chicken and egg situation because the more the product is watered down the less appealing it becomes to the paying spectator, hence supporters turning their back on the club.Some of us are too far down the road to even consider that option but others aren't as 'touched'.

Planning for stagnation is a dangerous game in football, it often backfires.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2015 14:21]
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 14:10 - Dec 14 with 2510 viewsParkinsGimp

Spot on TS , the board have been planning for stagnation for some time and only usually get success by fluke.
I dont think they have ever backed Hill to the hilt financially even when in League 2.. Having said that to sign the likes of Andrew and McNulty on two year contracts would worry me, so maybe they do not have the faith.
The gems like Hogan and Dawson dont come round too often.
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 14:32 - Dec 14 with 2465 viewsTalkingSutty

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 14:10 - Dec 14 by ParkinsGimp

Spot on TS , the board have been planning for stagnation for some time and only usually get success by fluke.
I dont think they have ever backed Hill to the hilt financially even when in League 2.. Having said that to sign the likes of Andrew and McNulty on two year contracts would worry me, so maybe they do not have the faith.

Hills legacy could also include ownership of our own Stadium which in the long term would be more important to the Club than the two promotions. His achievements and credentials as Rochdales manager can't be underestimated and like i said, i reckon there are underlying reasons why he seems so accepting of the current circumstances and it's not just about his own personal gain.

I think we have to seperate his media ramblings from his actual managerial skills, in that respect he has nothing to prove to the Club.
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 15:14 - Dec 14 with 2410 viewsSuddenLad

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 14:32 - Dec 14 by TalkingSutty

Hills legacy could also include ownership of our own Stadium which in the long term would be more important to the Club than the two promotions. His achievements and credentials as Rochdales manager can't be underestimated and like i said, i reckon there are underlying reasons why he seems so accepting of the current circumstances and it's not just about his own personal gain.

I think we have to seperate his media ramblings from his actual managerial skills, in that respect he has nothing to prove to the Club.

Absolutely bang on the button. There are bigger issues at stake here than a brief run of inconsistency and below-par performances from either the team in general or a few players in particular..

We al lknow that Keith Hill makes some 'ill-advised' remarks when dealing with the media and they love him for that reason and by asking their inane questions are looking for a response for their own benefit. It's a game they play and KH is easy prey. Why people make so much of it and analyse his comments in the way that they do is baffling. To try and compare his comments to his overall ability and long-term aims is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

The stated aim of both the manager and the club is to establish Rochdale AFC as a League One club, which let's face it, is relatively new territory and a new experience for most involved. Supporters included. We are all learning.

It will take time, patience and a lot of ups and downs to achieve that stated aim. We're all part of that experience in some way or another and need to be supporting the club, manager and team on the way.

Nit-picking at the managers' comments, or completely over-reacting to a few lacklustre performances is unfair and counter-productive. There are plenty of good players on view every time a Dale team takes the field. Many of them represent the future of the club, either as players or saleable assets. If this team can grow together it will be stronger because of it and so will the club.

Our current league position is fine. What matters is where we finish and as long as that is in League One it's 'job done'. There's no point in rushing headlong for the Championship, incurring masses of debt, and using other peoples' money and loan players from other clubs to get there.

We need to be financially stable, viable and have our OWN players. I'm sure those at the club believe the same and the whole process will take longer than some people seem prepared to allow. THe seeds for that have been sowed and we are seeing the benefits,

Anyway, if the Championship is ever to be achieved, I'd rather arrive there safely, in good hands and in good order, as opposed to incurring crippling debt and doing it with borrowed players that will never be ours.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 15:17 - Dec 14 with 2402 viewsTVOS1907

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 14:10 - Dec 14 by ParkinsGimp

Success by fluke? Do you really believe that?

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 15:19 - Dec 14 with 2400 viewsTVOS1907

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 15:14 - Dec 14 by SuddenLad

Absolutely bang on the button. There are bigger issues at stake here than a brief run of inconsistency and below-par performances from either the team in general or a few players in particular..

We al lknow that Keith Hill makes some 'ill-advised' remarks when dealing with the media and they love him for that reason and by asking their inane questions are looking for a response for their own benefit. It's a game they play and KH is easy prey. Why people make so much of it and analyse his comments in the way that they do is baffling. To try and compare his comments to his overall ability and long-term aims is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

The stated aim of both the manager and the club is to establish Rochdale AFC as a League One club, which let's face it, is relatively new territory and a new experience for most involved. Supporters included. We are all learning.

It will take time, patience and a lot of ups and downs to achieve that stated aim. We're all part of that experience in some way or another and need to be supporting the club, manager and team on the way.

Nit-picking at the managers' comments, or completely over-reacting to a few lacklustre performances is unfair and counter-productive. There are plenty of good players on view every time a Dale team takes the field. Many of them represent the future of the club, either as players or saleable assets. If this team can grow together it will be stronger because of it and so will the club.

Our current league position is fine. What matters is where we finish and as long as that is in League One it's 'job done'. There's no point in rushing headlong for the Championship, incurring masses of debt, and using other peoples' money and loan players from other clubs to get there.

We need to be financially stable, viable and have our OWN players. I'm sure those at the club believe the same and the whole process will take longer than some people seem prepared to allow. THe seeds for that have been sowed and we are seeing the benefits,

Anyway, if the Championship is ever to be achieved, I'd rather arrive there safely, in good hands and in good order, as opposed to incurring crippling debt and doing it with borrowed players that will never be ours.

I'm not sure disagreeing with his assessment of Saturday's red card and performance of the officials is 'nit picking', more like completely disagreeing with him.

I usually take most of what he says with a pinch of salt, but I felt Saturday's comments just made him look ridiculous.

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 15:32 - Dec 14 with 2372 viewsnordenblue

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 13:42 - Dec 14 by TalkingSutty

Thanks for your comments but it doesn't bring any pleasure having to compile these type of posts. I can't excuse Hilly for his bloody daft comments so i won't even attempt, i don't think he can change anyway. To be fair to the guy though I do think he is working to a blueprint that's been devised by the Chairman and Directors and involves a bigger end goal.

Operating to a minimum playing budget and maybe producing a end of season surplus, whilst securing League One survival would suit all parties, particularly if we are really serious about purchasing the Stadium. Most managers wouldn't be compliant to those terms unless there was a financial reward at the end, so perhaps there is a sweetener there for Hilly also, otherwise there's no incentive for the manager. Basically, the brakes have been applied on any further progression and we are making do with what we have with no investment in the playing side. Not many managers would put up with that.

There is a downside to all this though.Contrary to popular belief, players aren't daft, especially the senior ones and can see the squad isn't being improved which in turn puts extra pressure on them to perform, as a result they have been rewarded with new contracts.The bulk of the squad is made up of young kids, below average players and those who always seem to struggle with injuries. The teams only motivation is to stay in the league, they are fully aware that the Chairman and the manager have no intention of taking the Club any further, I think this is why we are getting so many flat performances, winners don't settle for second best.

God bless Hilly, he's done his best to dumb down supporters expectations, probably knowing full well that the standard of football will drop in order to hit the budget target but this is where it all falls down. The fans pay a lot of money to attend the game and expect to see fight, urgency, skill but more than anything progression. Progression as a squad of players,not necessarily just results based. Good players haven't been replaced and Hills famous comment 'We have ready made replacements' really was a big own goal, some saw it as a insult to their intelligence.

It's a chicken and egg situation because the more the product is watered down the less appealing it becomes to the paying spectator, hence supporters turning their back on the club.Some of us are too far down the road to even consider that option but others aren't as 'touched'.

Planning for stagnation is a dangerous game in football, it often backfires.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2015 14:21]

Superb post again TS,only a couple of seasons ago id cancel anything else on a Sat to attend every home game and probably 40/50 % of away games, this season ive probably not even made 40% of the home games.

This is ultimately all down to choice,the increase in price wouldn't generally deter me in the past as the money sides not really a problem,it is all to do with ambition really or lack of.This starts from the top and as mentioned many months ago whilst the chairman is skipping through hoops just to stay in league 1 and the manager gets a cracking bonus through annual player sales whats the need to progress?

The reality is the club expects fans to turn up in their hundreds to support a team thats been severely weakened in recent times for an inflated price,im afraid many folk aren't that stupid,while at the same time the managers comments only serve to piss the people off who've actually bothered to turn up.
Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 15:44 - Dec 14 with 2352 viewsD_Alien

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 15:19 - Dec 14 by TVOS1907

I'm not sure disagreeing with his assessment of Saturday's red card and performance of the officials is 'nit picking', more like completely disagreeing with him.

I usually take most of what he says with a pinch of salt, but I felt Saturday's comments just made him look ridiculous.

I'm just going to bring out the "he's in Widow Tw@nky mode" line in future - it'll save a hell of a lot of hot air.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 15:53 - Dec 14 with 2335 viewsSuddenLad

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 15:19 - Dec 14 by TVOS1907

I wasn't there, but others did seem to doubt the validity of the red card at the time. As I've said previously, his immediate post-match remarks are usually best ignored.

With hindsight, he might well feel that his initial response to the decision was inappropriate. If he still disagrees we may see the club appeal, but I wouln't be holding my breath in anticipation. My guess is, that neither will KH.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 16:37 - Dec 14 with 2285 viewsTVOS1907

Quite surprised at the levels of despair on 15:53 - Dec 14 by SuddenLad

I wasn't there, but others did seem to doubt the validity of the red card at the time. As I've said previously, his immediate post-match remarks are usually best ignored.

With hindsight, he might well feel that his initial response to the decision was inappropriate. If he still disagrees we may see the club appeal, but I wouln't be holding my breath in anticipation. My guess is, that neither will KH.

Hardly anyone has doubted the red card, especially after seeing it on TV.

By the time of the interview, Hill would have also had it replayed to him, making his comments even more ludicrous.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024