Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defensive Needs 07:37 - Feb 18 with 2883 viewsmidlandsdale

There should be enough in us to stay in the league this year, just!

Thinking about our defensive frailties has highlighted how fortunate we have been in past seasons. This is the first season in 5 we haven't had a commanding central defender. Two each of Dawson & then O'Connell spoiled us a bit and McNulty obviously isn't a suitable replacement.

With Tanser fit I think we are good at full back along with Rafferty, but surely Kennedy & Rose have to go as they are long past their sell by date. Cannon can provide back up at right back so we will need cover at left back and that certainly isn't Joe Bunney!

I think Eastham is worth keeping only if to give him a chance to prove his worth, in the same way that Lancashire has to go because he hasn't! In terms of the keeper, Lillis isn't as bad as some would have you believe and is much better when he has a couple of centre halfs in front of him that are more commanding than what we have currently.

For me Hill has to make this a priority for next season as getting proven goalscorer's is always going to be a tougher ask given wage demands and our revenue limitations. Will he though?
Defensive Needs on 10:33 - Feb 18 with 2777 viewsParkinsGimp

I would agree with most of that except Lillis, I think he has to go. I appreciate he may be lacking confidence with standing behind Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dumb, but he can still be a liability.
I do hope you are right about us staying up but its getting a bit too close for comfort and as we know Hill cant do pressure games and there could be a few of them coming up .
Defensive Needs on 11:48 - Feb 18 with 2692 viewsD_Dale

"There should be enough in us to stay in the league this year, just! "

On the form of Dale's last 6 games, we'd manage 49 points. Taking the last 8 games it'd be a relatively comfortable 54 points.

In the last 10 seasons the fourth from bottom (relegated) L1 side has finished with:

50, 47, 48, 43, 47, 50, 49, 48, 47, 50 points.

But this season, of the sides below Dale, only Colchester, with 3 points from their last 10 games, look certain for relegation. (Though were I a Biffo I'd be sweating more than I am now.)
Defensive Needs on 12:15 - Feb 18 with 2644 viewsTalkingSutty

Defensive Needs on 10:33 - Feb 18 by ParkinsGimp

I would agree with most of that except Lillis, I think he has to go. I appreciate he may be lacking confidence with standing behind Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dumb, but he can still be a liability.
I do hope you are right about us staying up but its getting a bit too close for comfort and as we know Hill cant do pressure games and there could be a few of them coming up .

Maybe the biggest pressure game we've had in years was Bristol Rovers away in the Promotion Season. He did excellently in that one.
Defensive Needs on 12:27 - Feb 18 with 2606 viewsdingdangblue

Defensive Needs on 12:15 - Feb 18 by TalkingSutty

Maybe the biggest pressure game we've had in years was Bristol Rovers away in the Promotion Season. He did excellently in that one.

And Cheltenham at home that season - the day we were promoted. We had to win and hope Fleetwood drew or lost. We won , they drew, we were promoted. Tons of pressure that day and we stormed it going 2-0 up very early on. (in the days when we could hold onto 2 goal leads ).

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Defensive Needs on 12:57 - Feb 18 with 2540 viewsfitzochris

I get the feeling Bob Harris's time at Sheff U could be coming to an end (he's just been loaned to Fleetwood). I'd have him here in an instant (if I was manager, which I'm not).

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Defensive Needs on 14:04 - Feb 18 with 2450 viewsmidlandsdale

Defensive Needs on 12:57 - Feb 18 by fitzochris

I get the feeling Bob Harris's time at Sheff U could be coming to an end (he's just been loaned to Fleetwood). I'd have him here in an instant (if I was manager, which I'm not).

Probably need to speak up a bit!
Defensive Needs on 14:17 - Feb 18 with 2429 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Defensive Needs on 12:57 - Feb 18 by fitzochris

The Whisperer.
Defensive Needs on 14:33 - Feb 18 with 2404 viewssandylaner1

lancashire is going to get offered a contract extension though

while eastham probably isn't
Login to get fewer ads

Defensive Needs on 15:12 - Feb 18 with 2367 viewsD_Alien

Defensive Needs on 12:15 - Feb 18 by TalkingSutty

The thing about that game was Bristol were under even greater pressure than us - to avoid dropping out of the league. It showed, and they dropped out. Relegation pressure is more severe than promotion, and it'd be the former we're facing. Somehow, I don't think we will though.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Defensive Needs on 16:30 - Feb 18 with 2287 viewsChaffRAFC

Defensive Needs on 14:33 - Feb 18 by sandylaner1

lancashire is going to get offered a contract extension though

while eastham probably isn't

I'd be amazed if that didn't happen. Lancashire simply will not be dropped, that means Hill rates him higher than a lot of his players and he'll sign a reduced contract as well I'd have thought whereas Eastham wont be renewed in my view, despite the fact he's clearly the better defender of the two.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Defensive Needs on 17:33 - Feb 18 with 2211 views442Dale

Defensive Needs on 16:30 - Feb 18 by ChaffRAFC

I'd be amazed if that didn't happen. Lancashire simply will not be dropped, that means Hill rates him higher than a lot of his players and he'll sign a reduced contract as well I'd have thought whereas Eastham wont be renewed in my view, despite the fact he's clearly the better defender of the two.

But what makes no sense is that it was Eastham who played regularly last season with Lancashire as back up. What's changed?

And on defensive woes:
Reading "Tales From The Secret Footballer" where he talks about coaching courses:

"... This means that the whole licence is based on the elite in the game, which is fine, but what about the guy who goes back to Rochdale in League One where every other goal has come from a set piece that hasn't been covered?"

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Defensive Needs on 19:24 - Feb 18 with 2138 viewspnc4eva1

Never mind Lancashire not being good enough and Kennedy being passed his select by date. McNulty is a liability. I said it to a few people at Accrington pretty season. He is a hoof ball merchant who thinks he can play football. He is slow, has the turning circle of an ocean tanker and insists on letting the ball bounce before trying to clear it.

The only redeeming feature of McNulty is that he is a cure for constipation as every time the ball goes near him most Dale fans posted themselves
[Post edited 18 Feb 2016 20:19]

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

Defensive Needs on 19:50 - Feb 18 with 2096 viewsDaleiLama

Defensive Needs on 19:24 - Feb 18 by pnc4eva1

Never mind Lancashire not being good enough and Kennedy being passed his select by date. McNulty is a liability. I said it to a few people at Accrington pretty season. He is a hoof ball merchant who thinks he can play football. He is slow, has the turning circle of an ocean tanker and insists on letting the ball bounce before trying to clear it.

The only redeeming feature of McNulty is that he is a cure for constipation as every time the ball goes near him most Dale fans posted themselves
[Post edited 18 Feb 2016 20:19]

He certainly has a bit of the dog in him.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Defensive Needs on 21:02 - Feb 18 with 2002 viewsSaxonDale

Hill's criteria for defenders is always one I've struggled to understand. He's always stated a desire to build possession from the back and in truth we've only ever had two defenders completely comfortable at doing this (also our best two, O'connell and Dawson) However he offered McArdle an extension, which I think pretty much the whole fanbase was glad he rejected it and went up north so I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Lancashire here next season. A good defender? Possibly. A Rochdale defender? Not for me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024