Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. 21:46 - Apr 27 with 4588 viewsArthurDaley

Yep Toronto, are going to have a team in the 3rd div of the Rugby league. No its not 1st April, The RFL seem to think its a good idea.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2016/04/27/toronto-wolfpack-billed-as-first-transa

A large VAT Dave

Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 22:11 - Apr 27 with 4537 viewsBigKindo

I assume away matches will require an overnighter for Hornets.
Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 03:01 - Apr 28 with 4404 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

...but how many fans will come to Hornets and will they spend money in the bar??!!

from the BBC: Teams visiting Toronto's Lamport Stadium home, who will have their expenses covered by the Canadian side, will fly out on Thursday, play on Saturday and return home on Sunday.

Strange idea to have them involved in RL in the UK when there is the USARL developmental teams.
Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 04:11 - Apr 28 with 4393 viewspioneer

Hornets were moaning a few years ago when they had to play York away on a friday because their part time players couldnt get time off work. If they fly back sunday (flights are all overnight) Then they will be missing work on friday and sunday and Monday and working with jet lag on Tuesday.

Flying over thursday going through a five hour time difference and then playing on Saturday will give the toronto team a huge home advantage. They are playing away games in blocks so will not have such time differences to face every game like their opponents will.

The rugby league has become a circus. Teams buy their way into the league, do not have to prove their playing capabilities deserve a place.

The rugby league season starts while there is still snow on the ground in Toronto and continue through summer when the temperature is often in the 30s and the humidity unbearable.
Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 04:44 - Apr 28 with 4384 viewsdownunder

Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 04:11 - Apr 28 by pioneer

Hornets were moaning a few years ago when they had to play York away on a friday because their part time players couldnt get time off work. If they fly back sunday (flights are all overnight) Then they will be missing work on friday and sunday and Monday and working with jet lag on Tuesday.

Flying over thursday going through a five hour time difference and then playing on Saturday will give the toronto team a huge home advantage. They are playing away games in blocks so will not have such time differences to face every game like their opponents will.

The rugby league has become a circus. Teams buy their way into the league, do not have to prove their playing capabilities deserve a place.

The rugby league season starts while there is still snow on the ground in Toronto and continue through summer when the temperature is often in the 30s and the humidity unbearable.

Became a circus years ago with the first French teams introduction. The RL bent over backwards to help them,when many founding teams were struggling at the time and therefore suffered.
Will these players be able to sleep during overnight flights? I cannot see them being given Business Class.
A lot of money that could be used growing their game locally, whatever happens
Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 07:46 - Apr 28 with 4293 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 04:44 - Apr 28 by downunder

Became a circus years ago with the first French teams introduction. The RL bent over backwards to help them,when many founding teams were struggling at the time and therefore suffered.
Will these players be able to sleep during overnight flights? I cannot see them being given Business Class.
A lot of money that could be used growing their game locally, whatever happens

The desire to grow the game is admirable in Rugby League. It's a game that is prepared to innovate to improve. The execution sometimes leaves a lot to be desired.
Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 08:44 - Apr 28 with 4247 viewsmingthemerciless

Crazy idea. Some of the Hornets players have jobs were you can't just take time off willy nilly ( teachers etc ) . I'll give it a season.
Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 08:48 - Apr 28 with 4235 viewsBigKindo

Unless you had to would you put yourself through such a punishing travel schedule? Part time players taking off extra time is not always possible. Poor joined up thinking from the RFL. Just supposing you draw them in a cup comp and then have to return for a league fixture the following week.
Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 08:59 - Apr 28 with 4219 viewsDomDale

Assuming Hornets aren't promoted ;).

Growing RL is admirable but a transatlantic league is a poor idea for all of the reasons already posted.
Personally I've not too much an issue with French teams joining, RL has a long history in France and let's face it it isn't that far away from the UK.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Login to get fewer ads

Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 11:50 - Apr 28 with 4076 viewsBigKindo

... and various franchises granted to Wales have failed because by far they prefer the 15 man game. Didn't the Crusaders who were fast tracked into the Premiership fold before the end of season one with debts approaching £ 1 million?
Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 13:23 - Apr 28 with 3988 viewsmingthemerciless

The problem with the Rugby League is they're trying to expand the game into areas that aren't really interested in the game whilst they are neglecting the areas were the game is already established.

Given the population of London you'd get more to turn up to watch almost any other sport than the attendances the Rugby League teams get.

I'll give this Canada experiment a season, and I'm being generous there. They've obviously got fairly deep pockets looking at the back room staff they've appointed but it'll turn out to be a money pit I'm sure.
Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 13:41 - Apr 28 with 3967 viewsDomDale

I wonder in th RFL/Super League are aiming to emulate Super Rugby. Super Rugby have clubs/franchises in Argentina, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand & Japan. Seems to work fairly well but must be virtually impossible for anyone to truly to follow their team home & away.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 14:08 - Apr 28 with 3926 viewspioneer

Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 13:41 - Apr 28 by DomDale

I wonder in th RFL/Super League are aiming to emulate Super Rugby. Super Rugby have clubs/franchises in Argentina, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand & Japan. Seems to work fairly well but must be virtually impossible for anyone to truly to follow their team home & away.

It is, but there are plenty of expats from each of the english speaking countries so there are usually a reasonable amount of fans supporting the visiting team. Also they organise it so that each team plays 2-3 games in the other country on one trip so fans could make the trip as part of a vacation and see their team 2 or three times. They do not follow a traditional home-away-home schedule. Obviously this again only applies to the english speaking countries because there is only one team in Argentina and Japan.
Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 14:30 - Apr 28 with 3907 viewsBigKindo

Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 14:08 - Apr 28 by pioneer

It is, but there are plenty of expats from each of the english speaking countries so there are usually a reasonable amount of fans supporting the visiting team. Also they organise it so that each team plays 2-3 games in the other country on one trip so fans could make the trip as part of a vacation and see their team 2 or three times. They do not follow a traditional home-away-home schedule. Obviously this again only applies to the english speaking countries because there is only one team in Argentina and Japan.

Blimey! One team in Argentina and Japan. They must have a heck of collection of airmiles
Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 17:18 - Apr 28 with 3813 viewsScunnydale

The Japanese team play a lot of their home games in Singapore don't they?
Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 20:12 - Apr 28 with 3715 viewsolympicdale

This has to be a publicity stunt, as a regular visitor to Toronto, I haven't ever come across any knowledge of rugby being a major sport played over there. I can't see this coming to anything.

Life is a game of fate.

Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 20:30 - Apr 28 with 3694 viewspioneer

Toronto (Canada) V Rochdale Hornets. on 20:12 - Apr 28 by olympicdale

This has to be a publicity stunt, as a regular visitor to Toronto, I haven't ever come across any knowledge of rugby being a major sport played over there. I can't see this coming to anything.

History of union with national team having reached the later stages of the world cup on occasion and providing many players for the professional leagues in Europe. Participate regularly at the world cup and world 7s tour and host six nations teams on post season tours almost annually

No history of league to speak about until about 5 years ago when a national team was formed and played USA, Jamaica and BARLA. Crowds have been OK 5-6000. No national league but a very small Ontario league with about 6 teams from places close to Toronto. If you know Toronto the stadium is on the opposite side of the train tracks to the Exhibition grounds.

The Union team play their internationals across the country but when in Toronto they play at the Toronto FC stadium. They are playing Italy in June and last year I think they played Ireland.

They have a top class women's union team - I think they lost to England in the last World cup final.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024