Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cup 09:49 - Jan 10 with 1675 viewsmacro

Expanded. Even Scotland might qualify

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38565246

World Cup on 09:55 - Jan 10 with 1658 viewsKenBoon

The European Championship's expansion was a total failure. Just extra teams trying not to lose. Groups of 3 are stupid. There's a huge advantage playing in the final game, where you could play out a draw if it's good for both sides. This will inevitably happen and cause problems.
World Cup on 09:59 - Jan 10 with 1645 viewsmacro

World Cup on 09:55 - Jan 10 by KenBoon

The European Championship's expansion was a total failure. Just extra teams trying not to lose. Groups of 3 are stupid. There's a huge advantage playing in the final game, where you could play out a draw if it's good for both sides. This will inevitably happen and cause problems.

Agreed, there is some talk of having no draws - penalty shoot outs to decide drawn games to avoid this
World Cup on 10:05 - Jan 10 with 1636 viewsScunnydale

I'm a fan larger tournaments. It gives me the opportunity to see different teams and I enjoyed watching the likes of Hungary in the Euros.

But I do get the point about groups of three. Too many teams did play for draws and that needs to be eradicated. If they can do that then I'm all for it. Already looking forward to Uzbekistan v Burkina Faso.
World Cup on 10:18 - Jan 10 with 1610 viewsmeeee

What if each of the three teams won a game 1-0 and then lost a game 0-1? All would have 3 points, a goal difference of 0, one goal scored and one goal conceded? What happens then?
World Cup on 12:54 - Jan 10 with 1520 viewsfitzochris

World Cup on 10:18 - Jan 10 by meeee

What if each of the three teams won a game 1-0 and then lost a game 0-1? All would have 3 points, a goal difference of 0, one goal scored and one goal conceded? What happens then?

The Apocalypse.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

World Cup on 13:28 - Jan 10 with 1463 viewswatford_dale

Rock, paper, scissors
World Cup on 13:29 - Jan 10 with 1463 viewsColDale

I quite like the idea of a bigger World Cup but qualifying will practically be a non event for the likes of England from now on.

I'm sure as well there'd be many countries ruled out from ever hosting it again with so many countries entering.
World Cup on 13:47 - Jan 10 with 1428 viewsD_Alien

Depends on the best tossers

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

World Cup on 13:50 - Jan 10 with 1423 viewsmacro

World Cup on 13:29 - Jan 10 by ColDale

I quite like the idea of a bigger World Cup but qualifying will practically be a non event for the likes of England from now on.

I'm sure as well there'd be many countries ruled out from ever hosting it again with so many countries entering.

I’d imagine countries will do joint applications to host.

I’m sure FIFA will have something i n place for the 1-0 1-0 1-0 scenario. Teams with least yellows, most shots on target, most players with letter x in their name etc
World Cup on 16:16 - Jan 10 with 1322 viewsdownunder

World Cup on 13:50 - Jan 10 by macro

I’d imagine countries will do joint applications to host.

I’m sure FIFA will have something i n place for the 1-0 1-0 1-0 scenario. Teams with least yellows, most shots on target, most players with letter x in their name etc

All teams submit a brown envelope?
World Cup on 17:15 - Jan 10 with 1277 viewsYorkshire_Dale

World Cup on 16:16 - Jan 10 by downunder

All teams submit a brown envelope?

Exactly, millions to be made with a bigger tournament

Big fat Septic Blatter's pay-off.
World Cup on 18:10 - Jan 10 with 1231 viewsdingdangblue

No chance of that if Scotland are in it.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

World Cup on 18:11 - Jan 10 with 1224 viewsShun

Qualifying's already a non-event. I find the two years of international football in between the World Cup and the Euro's the most painfully tedious and dull farce. About ten or so years ago when we didn't qualify was the most entertaining the qualifying round has actually ever been.
World Cup on 19:54 - Jan 10 with 1144 viewsthebackrowhero

Said on the radio earlier that uefa will probably get 3 extra places but south America go up from 4.5 (4 and a playoff) to 7 there's only 10 that try to qualify!!!!!
World Cup on 20:21 - Jan 10 with 1114 viewspioneer

World Cup on 19:54 - Jan 10 by thebackrowhero

Said on the radio earlier that uefa will probably get 3 extra places but south America go up from 4.5 (4 and a playoff) to 7 there's only 10 that try to qualify!!!!!

Yes you will have to try hard not to qualify - further evidence that Scotland will be in
World Cup on 20:46 - Jan 10 with 1080 viewsColDale

The seeding of qualification makes it very difficult for some countries to qualify. I remember hearing the NI manager a few years ago talking about the need to do well in a qualifying group - not so that they could qualify, but so they could improve their seeding ranking so that the next qualifying group would give them more of a chance. In reality, under the current system, you could some highly talented players never given the opportunity to play in a World Cup.

If UEFA is to get three more teams in there, I don't see how it weakens things. These were the UEFA sides to miss out in 2014: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Georgia, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Northern Ireland, Poland, Republic of Ireland, Romania, San Marino, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Turkey, Ukraine, Wales. I reckon you easily pick three strong sides from that group.
World Cup on 22:37 - Jan 10 with 1014 viewsR17ALE

World Cup on 20:46 - Jan 10 by ColDale

The seeding of qualification makes it very difficult for some countries to qualify. I remember hearing the NI manager a few years ago talking about the need to do well in a qualifying group - not so that they could qualify, but so they could improve their seeding ranking so that the next qualifying group would give them more of a chance. In reality, under the current system, you could some highly talented players never given the opportunity to play in a World Cup.

If UEFA is to get three more teams in there, I don't see how it weakens things. These were the UEFA sides to miss out in 2014: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Georgia, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Northern Ireland, Poland, Republic of Ireland, Romania, San Marino, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Turkey, Ukraine, Wales. I reckon you easily pick three strong sides from that group.

I'm not being funny Col, or macro, but who gives a shit?

Is the format of the World Cup really more interesting than the season we're having?

I know this is an open forum, which I'm glad about, but talk of international football depresses me because England are shit.

Whereas The Dale are captivating at the moment. In profit (hopefully), in 4th round of the cup, and sitting in the play-offs in tier 3. More talk about Dale. Less about the World cup!!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

World Cup on 06:11 - Jan 11 with 959 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Qualification is practically a non-event for England now anyway. Having extra teams at the finals to knock them out early will be a bigger area for concern.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024