Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keith Keane 10:00 - Jul 31 with 4091 viewsTomRAFC

Where would you play him? He was brilliant at centre back and in midfield last season.

Given our centre back issue I'd be tempted to play him there and let Rathbone/Cannon have a go at the midfield terrier role.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Keith Keane on 10:09 - Jul 31 with 4070 viewsSwissdale

Whilst I think his best position is holding midfield, I would play him CB alongside Harrison. Mainly down to the fact Jim McNulty is a complete donkey and we need to keep him out of the first XI at all costs.
Keith Keane on 10:29 - Jul 31 with 4026 viewsChaffRAFC

If we've nobody coming in as a centre half to play next to McGahey then I'd play him at centre half just so we don't have to put up with watching McNulty or Canavan.

That said it's not ideal and I'm disappointed we've not brought in a quality centre half because I really thought we'd have learned our lesson from last season.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Keith Keane on 10:32 - Jul 31 with 4015 viewsboromat

Just depends on who we're playing and what system. Not seen us use a holding midfielder all preseason just had the two camps and Allen playing centrally. I think this could be pretty exciting in a lot of games as we'll have much more of an attacking line up. But against the more difficult opponents I think Keane is our best defensive midfield enforcer. So when we do need one in front of the back four for defensive reason I'd put Keane there. When we're not it'll be interesting to see whether he or McGahey gets the nod. Keith will always play with a left footed LCB when he can so very little chance of Keane and McGahey playing in the CB partnership.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Keith Keane on 10:41 - Jul 31 with 3993 viewsD_Alien

Keith Keane on 10:32 - Jul 31 by boromat

Just depends on who we're playing and what system. Not seen us use a holding midfielder all preseason just had the two camps and Allen playing centrally. I think this could be pretty exciting in a lot of games as we'll have much more of an attacking line up. But against the more difficult opponents I think Keane is our best defensive midfield enforcer. So when we do need one in front of the back four for defensive reason I'd put Keane there. When we're not it'll be interesting to see whether he or McGahey gets the nod. Keith will always play with a left footed LCB when he can so very little chance of Keane and McGahey playing in the CB partnership.

Don't usually do this, but:

This ^^^

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Keith Keane on 11:21 - Jul 31 with 3911 viewsAtThePeake

Keith Keane on 10:32 - Jul 31 by boromat

Agree re: the system and playing Keane as a holding midfielder against tougher opposition, but I think McGahey will get the nod over Keane every time as the right-footed CB.

Tangled up in blue.

Keith Keane on 12:57 - Jul 31 with 3732 views442Dale

This whole 'left-footed centre half' thing is really much more of a thing than it should be.

Some of our most successful seasons under Hill have seen two right-footed CH playing together:

Stanton & McArdle, Wembley season.
Dawson & Stanton, promotion 09/10
Dawson & Holness, first season in L1 when the latter was excellent before Eyre came in and all of a sudden we needed a left-sided CH.

It's only since he returned that Hill seems to favour a left-footed CH. Just play the best two. At the moment, due to a lack of alternatives, that's McGahey and Keane who amazingly weren't at least tried last season.

Think of all the great CH partnerships from the past, there was no obsession with one of them being left-footed. It's a recent thing and it really shouldn't matter so much.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Keith Keane on 13:39 - Jul 31 with 3654 viewsfitzochris

Keith Keane on 12:57 - Jul 31 by 442Dale

This whole 'left-footed centre half' thing is really much more of a thing than it should be.

Some of our most successful seasons under Hill have seen two right-footed CH playing together:

Dawson & Holness, first season in L1 when the latter was excellent before Eyre came in and all of a sudden we needed a left-sided CH.

It's only since he returned that Hill seems to favour a left-footed CH. Just play the best two. At the moment, due to a lack of alternatives, that's McGahey and Keane who amazingly weren't at least tried last season.

Think of all the great CH partnerships from the past, there was no obsession with one of them being left-footed. It's a recent thing and it really shouldn't matter so much.

I think it's all come from the obsession with "ball-playing centre halves" rather than those of yesteryear who would lump it upfield as an only option.

All players should be two footed anyway

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Keith Keane on 13:48 - Jul 31 with 3616 viewsRoChDaLe

Keith Keane on 13:39 - Jul 31 by fitzochris

I think it's all come from the obsession with "ball-playing centre halves" rather than those of yesteryear who would lump it upfield as an only option.

All players should be two footed anyway

Can't recall seeing a one footed player at Dale? :)

how is anthony elding still in league one?

Login to get fewer ads

Keith Keane on 19:24 - Jul 31 with 3261 viewsboromat

Keith Keane on 12:57 - Jul 31 by 442Dale

Don't disagree, maybe it's more about the level we now play at and the type of football Hill wants to play. Only one of those pairings was at LG1 level and that was some years ago and included Dawson a future premier league player who could make up for some of Holness' short comings.

I would like to see us improve at the LCB position regardless of preferred foot

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Keith Keane on 13:30 - Aug 1 with 2916 viewsstigmundo77

I think we all do, its blatant that its a problem position for the long haul
Keith Keane on 14:29 - Aug 1 with 2844 viewsTomRAFC

I'm all for a ball playing centre half but Jim isn't one. A lot of the time he just passes it back and forth along the back 4. If he's not distributing well or defending well then he doesn't justify a place in the starting line up.

I know Hilly likes a leader on the pitch ala Michael Rose but it seems like Calvin has that role now judging from what Hilly says.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Keith Keane on 17:22 - Aug 1 with 2711 viewsD_Alien

Keith Keane on 14:29 - Aug 1 by TomRAFC

I'm all for a ball playing centre half but Jim isn't one. A lot of the time he just passes it back and forth along the back 4. If he's not distributing well or defending well then he doesn't justify a place in the starting line up.

I know Hilly likes a leader on the pitch ala Michael Rose but it seems like Calvin has that role now judging from what Hilly says.

leader, ala "the captain" ?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Keith Keane on 20:20 - Aug 1 with 2552 viewsnordenblue

Keith Keane on 17:22 - Aug 1 by D_Alien

leader, ala "the captain" ?

For me Keane should be captain
Keith Keane on 00:06 - Aug 2 with 2401 viewsDaley_Lama

I'm going to go against the grain.

I think Hilly will go for Casual Jim and Harrison as the twin towers at the back this season.

Where Keano fits into a starting eleven is therefore limited to a defensive midfield role if this pans out.

Not a criticism of Keano in that, just guessing the managers choice. Cracking player.

Poll: DF in or out

Keith Keane on 00:34 - Aug 2 with 2388 viewsTalkingSutty

Keith Keane on 00:06 - Aug 2 by Daley_Lama

I'm going to go against the grain.

I think Hilly will go for Casual Jim and Harrison as the twin towers at the back this season.

Where Keano fits into a starting eleven is therefore limited to a defensive midfield role if this pans out.

Not a criticism of Keano in that, just guessing the managers choice. Cracking player.

Agree with that. The Pompey game and all the others throughout August are just as important as any other so i never understand the theory that recruitment doesn't need to be in place for the start of the season. In fact Bradfords manager stated yesterday that its probably too late now to recruit, the better players have already been signed up.

Signing Matt Done would be great but a decent centre back last season would have probably seen us in a play off place. The players voted McNulty player of the year last season, better than anybody else and Hill extended his contract , that means his place in the defence isn't even up for debate. As a spectator i thought McNulty was very hit and miss and not to be trusted to do even the basics at times, similar to Canavan. I must be watching a different game.
Keith Keane on 08:10 - Aug 2 with 2303 viewsColDale

Keith Keane on 00:34 - Aug 2 by TalkingSutty

Agree with that. The Pompey game and all the others throughout August are just as important as any other so i never understand the theory that recruitment doesn't need to be in place for the start of the season. In fact Bradfords manager stated yesterday that its probably too late now to recruit, the better players have already been signed up.

Signing Matt Done would be great but a decent centre back last season would have probably seen us in a play off place. The players voted McNulty player of the year last season, better than anybody else and Hill extended his contract , that means his place in the defence isn't even up for debate. As a spectator i thought McNulty was very hit and miss and not to be trusted to do even the basics at times, similar to Canavan. I must be watching a different game.

Camps was the players' player of the season. McNulty's award was the clubman of the year (think that's its name) and is usually decided by manager, chairman and chief exec and I think I'm right in saying it's for an all round contribution to the club rather than specifically on the field performances.
Keith Keane on 08:57 - Aug 2 with 2259 viewsTalkingSutty

Keith Keane on 08:10 - Aug 2 by ColDale

Camps was the players' player of the season. McNulty's award was the clubman of the year (think that's its name) and is usually decided by manager, chairman and chief exec and I think I'm right in saying it's for an all round contribution to the club rather than specifically on the field performances.

Thanks Col, I stand corrected. Maybe the 12 month contract extension was aimed at bringing Jim into the Coaching set up at some stage. I'm not anti-Jim as a member of the squad and at times he does a good job but just like Canavan mistakes are never far away and they are often costly. You can't teach a old dog new tricks and I don't see a sudden improvement unfortunately. Hill obviously thinks different and that's all that counts really.
Keith Keane on 09:12 - Aug 2 with 2242 viewsNorthernDale

I have to agree Caravan and McNulty are both accidents waiting to happen when it comes to defending. I would consider moving and in the long-term seeking to convert Calvin Andrews into a central defender, he cannot be any worse then Caravan and McNulty, and this would allow Keane to move into the midfield.
Keith Keane on 09:24 - Aug 2 with 2227 viewsTalkingSutty

Keith Keane on 09:12 - Aug 2 by NorthernDale

I have to agree Caravan and McNulty are both accidents waiting to happen when it comes to defending. I would consider moving and in the long-term seeking to convert Calvin Andrews into a central defender, he cannot be any worse then Caravan and McNulty, and this would allow Keane to move into the midfield.

I think Calvin is needed up front though because Davies can't be relied on due to his injury problems. I happen to think Calvin Andrew is the most important component of our team and probably the most improved player over the last couple of seasons.

Hills done a great job with the midfield and attacking third, if he could crack the defence we would be a proper force to be reckoned with in League One.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 9:25]
Keith Keane on 10:33 - Aug 2 with 2164 viewsDaley_Lama

I would have put most of my eggs in one basket this summer and tried to sign a Peter Clarke type CH above any other position. Even left back which ran it a close second.

I'm hoping for a stronger partnership at the back this season however. Harrison came on leaps and bounds, him and Jim played together a bit and know each others games.

Also, if these two are the chosen two, then we have other cover at LB/RB so neither of them has to be pushed out into these positions if injuries occur with the addition of Brown and Nithe. Hopefully we won't see Calvin or Hendo anywhere near those positions this time round.

Poll: DF in or out

Keith Keane on 11:11 - Aug 2 with 2135 views442Dale

Keith Keane on 08:57 - Aug 2 by TalkingSutty

Thanks Col, I stand corrected. Maybe the 12 month contract extension was aimed at bringing Jim into the Coaching set up at some stage. I'm not anti-Jim as a member of the squad and at times he does a good job but just like Canavan mistakes are never far away and they are often costly. You can't teach a old dog new tricks and I don't see a sudden improvement unfortunately. Hill obviously thinks different and that's all that counts really.

Retaining Canavan after his stop-gap arrival only served to exacerbate McNulty's shortcomings because he is indeed a reasonable player who would benefit from being left out when he starts making mistakes.

With Canavan as the alternative, McNulty stays in the side longer and subliminally he probably knows the competition for his place isn't at the level it should be. Recruitment of a better CH would help the current players, for it to happen we need to look at shipping Canavan out.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Keith Keane on 12:29 - Aug 2 with 2066 viewsShun

Keith Keane on 00:34 - Aug 2 by TalkingSutty

Just regarding it being too late to sign good players now, a lot of our best signings over the past few years have come after the season had already started, including Davies, Keane, and NML.
Keith Keane on 12:38 - Aug 2 with 2052 viewsTalkingSutty

Keith Keane on 12:29 - Aug 2 by Shun

Just regarding it being too late to sign good players now, a lot of our best signings over the past few years have come after the season had already started, including Davies, Keane, and NML.

Did we not have bad results at the start of the season prior to those signings? It was Steve McCall who made the comments, I don't know who is available. I realise it's down to finances but in a ideal world we would be ready to go from the first game of the season.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 12:43]
Keith Keane on 13:21 - Aug 2 with 1994 viewsTVOS1907

Keith Keane on 12:38 - Aug 2 by TalkingSutty

Did we not have bad results at the start of the season prior to those signings? It was Steve McCall who made the comments, I don't know who is available. I realise it's down to finances but in a ideal world we would be ready to go from the first game of the season.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 12:43]

He was great in Ipswich's midfield in the 1980s.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Keith Keane on 13:29 - Aug 2 with 1978 viewsTalkingSutty

Keith Keane on 13:21 - Aug 2 by TVOS1907

He was great in Ipswich's midfield in the 1980s.

Stuart 😀
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024