Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kiev (n/t) 20:03 - Dec 20 with 2456 viewsNigeriamark

My time in Nigeria may soon be up and I am in the running for a job in Kiev. Never been closer than Poland so don't know it at all. Anyone lived there or visited regularly? What is it like as a place to live?
[Post edited 20 Dec 2017 20:06]
Kiev (n/t) on 22:08 - Dec 20 with 2326 viewsmikehunt

Hi Mark I went for the first time this year and loved it. Great food. v. cheap and you should find plenty of bars and stuff to keep you happy. Didn't get to the suburbs so don't know what that would be like but we did walk out of the central areas and it didn't feel too bad.
Brush up on your Ukrainian: as you can imagine plenty of Russian spoken but the true Uke dislikes them intensely. We went at Easter and it was very special.
Went to Lvov as well so you should find travelling outside of Kiev interesting too.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Kiev (n/t) on 08:57 - Dec 21 with 2150 viewsKenBoon

It is similar to many former soviet countries. The gulf between the haves and the have nots is astonishing. Outside of the city centre tourist and business places I found it to be either the most tacky rich place or the most poverty ridden place i've seen. I'm sure it's improved in the past decade though... and if someone offers you a flat in Pripyat tell them to get lost.
Kiev (n/t) on 13:01 - Dec 21 with 1984 viewsBigKindo

Kiev (n/t) on 22:08 - Dec 20 by mikehunt

Hi Mark I went for the first time this year and loved it. Great food. v. cheap and you should find plenty of bars and stuff to keep you happy. Didn't get to the suburbs so don't know what that would be like but we did walk out of the central areas and it didn't feel too bad.
Brush up on your Ukrainian: as you can imagine plenty of Russian spoken but the true Uke dislikes them intensely. We went at Easter and it was very special.
Went to Lvov as well so you should find travelling outside of Kiev interesting too.

Lviv twinned with Rochdale MBC since 1982.
Kiev (n/t) on 13:52 - Dec 21 with 1943 viewsEllDale

There has been a strong Ukrainian community in Rochdale since the end of the war hence the twinning.
At one time there even two Ukrainian clubs. I was told that the members of one were former soldiers who had fought for Germany against Russia whilst members of the other had been on the other side!
Kiev (n/t) on 15:34 - Dec 21 with 1872 viewskiwidale

Kiev (n/t) on 13:52 - Dec 21 by EllDale

There has been a strong Ukrainian community in Rochdale since the end of the war hence the twinning.
At one time there even two Ukrainian clubs. I was told that the members of one were former soldiers who had fought for Germany against Russia whilst members of the other had been on the other side!

If you understand the deep animosity between the Ukraine and Russia you will also understand why the pro Russian soldiers fought for the allies and the those who wanted free of the Russian yoke fought for the axis forces. Its not to dissimilar today in ex soviet countries Georgia and Chechnya being others.

This is not the time for bickering.

Kiev (n/t) on 17:06 - Dec 21 with 1796 viewsjudd

I love their chicken.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Kiev (n/t) on 17:13 - Dec 21 with 1786 viewsrochdale_ranger

Invasion from the Germans was much better then Liberation by the Soviets in many cases for eastern European nations.
Kiev (n/t) on 19:50 - Feb 6 with 1335 viewsNigeriamark

Thanks Guys for the feedback

Was offered the job tonight after not hearing anything for 2 months, so will probably take it from Easter if the contract is OK.

Change my name to Dynamo ( kiev) Dale?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024