Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Predicted League table for next season 07:50 - May 31 with 6901 viewsPatfromPoole

Notoriously probably the most difficult league in the world to predict, but this would be my current prediction, based on Russell Martin being appointed and then out on his ear by November:-

1. Middlesbrough
2. Watford

3. Norwich
4. Leeds
5. Sunderland (promoted in play-offs)
6. West Brom

7. Stoke
8. Millwall
9. Leicester
10. Birmingham
11. Coventry
12. Blackburn
13. Preston
14. Swansea
15. Ipswich
16. Sheff Wed
17. Saints
18. Bristol City
19. Hull
20. Plymouth
21. Cardiff

22. QPR
23. Rotherham
24. Huddersfield

I think our best chance of getting back up is the season after next. This season is going to be full of disruption again, can see us having 2 or 3 managers by the end of May next year.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Predicted League table for next season on 18:01 - May 31 with 1904 viewsIfonly

Predicted League table for next season on 16:48 - May 31 by SFC_Referee

Tbf I’ve got absolutely no idea whatsoever of whereabouts we’ll be finishing next season, as I don’t think anyone’s gonna truly know until a few questions start to get answered like who’s staying, who’s going, who’s gonna be joining us, are the owners gonna keep investing, who is gonna be our new gaffer (as the fact that everyone was saying Martins was gonna be announced yesterday but still nothing a day afterwards does make me wonder) etc… is just too much to give a guess as to where we’re gonna finish next season. So for my guesstimate, I won’t bother including us as I’ve honestly got no idea as to what to expect…

1. Norwich
2. Leicester
3. Middlesbrough
4. Watford (wins playoffs)
5. Leeds
6. West Brom
7. Sunderland
8. Birmingham
9. Blackburn
10. Millwall
11. Bristol
12. Coventry
13. Huddersfield
14. Plymouth
15. Sheffield Wednesday
16. Swansea
17. QPR
18. Ipswich
19. Hull
20. Stoke
21. Cardiff
22. Preston
23. Rotherham

Same issues for Leicester (who you have 2nd) as for us me thinks. If they lose Harvey Barnes Dewsbury Hall etc. as well as Maddison, then they're in trouble. OTOH their owners still have money and might fund a rebuild. If they strengthen what they have now then they would be my tip for the top. Who Knows?
Predicted League table for next season on 18:47 - May 31 with 1861 viewssaintwizzler

Predicted League table for next season on 17:49 - May 31 by SFC_Referee

Don’t forget all the parachute payments were owed after the 11 years straight we’ve been up in the prem for now

I’m sure I read that the parachute payment was give at the end the season and that’s only if you don’t go up.
For example Burnley didn’t get it as they BOUNCED BACK straight away.

I maybe wrong…?

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Predicted League table for next season on 18:50 - May 31 with 1847 viewsSFC_Referee

Predicted League table for next season on 18:01 - May 31 by Ifonly

Same issues for Leicester (who you have 2nd) as for us me thinks. If they lose Harvey Barnes Dewsbury Hall etc. as well as Maddison, then they're in trouble. OTOH their owners still have money and might fund a rebuild. If they strengthen what they have now then they would be my tip for the top. Who Knows?

But Leicester will keep hold of Vardy and already know who’s gonna be in charge for their first game next season. And those two are bona do well in the championship in my books, especially Vardy as he’s becoming a club legend there and for what he did in the prem, I think he’ll be completing for the championships golden boot next season.
Whilst we don’t even currently have an out and out recognised striker, let alone one as good or reliable as Vardy, and again we don’t even currently have a manger, and even if it does end up being Martins, nobody’s seen him manage a saints game.

But nah you talk about their owners having money, but I’ve seen many Leicester fans complaining about the lack of investment and that’s what’s cost them from battling for trophies and Europe to being relegated like they just have been. As from what I’ve heard they’ve just gone through a false like we did between the Koeman days to last season, it’s just their drop was only like 2 seasons long whilst ours was spread over like 5 years or so. So I wouldn’t say too much about their investment as I don’t think they’ll be getting to spend too much more than what they’ll be selling in the summer. Whilst we on the other hand do have owners that will almost certainly invest

So maybe putting Leicester as second was a bit too high, but like you said, there in a similar ship to us as I can see either of us finishing practically anywhere depending on what happens over the next few months.

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

Predicted League table for next season on 18:58 - May 31 with 1848 viewssolent_toffee

Predicted League table for next season on 15:15 - May 31 by SaintNick

My rough guide to transfers using a conservative estimate is

JWP £40 million
Lavia £40 million
Walker Peters £20 million
Salisu £20 million
Bella Kotchap £20 million
Bednarek £10 million
Adams £15 million
Orsic £5 million

That's £170 million on those 8 and there could be more from Tella, Onaucho name just 2

Theres definitely a ‘relegation tax’ on players values. Everton got McNeill for 17 million whereas he’d been touted for 30 plus the season before.

There’s no way that you will get that amount for players who haven’t performed week in week out in the premier league and now in the championship. Saints might get decent money for Lavia (don’t City have a buy back?) and JWP but the rest will be reduced. You’d expect them to be signed by lower premier league teams but they won’t pay those amounts for them. Adams was valued around 15million last season, his stock has gone down considerably since then and he’d be lucky to get back into the premier league, so his value will decrease. Orsic has barely kicked a ball for Saints so you’d be hard pushed to get anything for him.
Predicted League table for next season on 19:41 - May 31 with 1822 viewsPatfromPoole

Predicted League table for next season on 18:58 - May 31 by solent_toffee

Theres definitely a ‘relegation tax’ on players values. Everton got McNeill for 17 million whereas he’d been touted for 30 plus the season before.

There’s no way that you will get that amount for players who haven’t performed week in week out in the premier league and now in the championship. Saints might get decent money for Lavia (don’t City have a buy back?) and JWP but the rest will be reduced. You’d expect them to be signed by lower premier league teams but they won’t pay those amounts for them. Adams was valued around 15million last season, his stock has gone down considerably since then and he’d be lucky to get back into the premier league, so his value will decrease. Orsic has barely kicked a ball for Saints so you’d be hard pushed to get anything for him.

Agreed.

You get far less for your players as a relegated club than if you sell them when in the Prem. Probably about half the value.

Predicted League table for next season on 19:42 - May 31 with 1821 views1ASIN12

Predicted League table for next season on 18:58 - May 31 by solent_toffee

I think you are right we are going to get a lot less for our players then some think.

Back on to the original post - it’s way to early to predict. No one knows what team we will put out in August nor what teams the other 23 clubs will have .

As I gut feeling and going on the evidence of our owners over the last 18 months and what they have said since our relegation was confirmed I think we will have to settle for a top half finish, but not top 6.
Predicted League table for next season on 20:32 - May 31 with 1783 viewsSaintNick

Predicted League table for next season on 19:41 - May 31 by PatfromPoole

Agreed.

You get far less for your players as a relegated club than if you sell them when in the Prem. Probably about half the value.

It is all about supply and demand. as I said JWP, Lavia, Salisu KWP & Bella Kotchap are all in demand, I valued them based on that we could potentially lose the others for less than that, but the first 5 will fetch somewhere between £140- £160 k.

Truth of the matter is that we will clear the decks out and rebuild, last season was over time to look to the future with positivity, otherwise why bother

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Predicted League table for next season on 14:38 - Jun 1 with 1651 viewssledger

saints could keep lavia and jwp next season and lose next to nothing on there deals,city probably take lavia for 40 million and jwp would still have 2 years contract left,that way we keep there abilty for a season at no cost.
Login to get fewer ads

Predicted League table for next season on 17:08 - Jun 1 with 1630 viewssaint901

I'd swap Leicester and West Brom with the former going through in the play offs.

Leicester will have a real issue if Maddison goes. He makes that team and is irreplaceable.

I'd like to think we could get to fringes of play off or a little better but if we lose JWP/KWP/Lavia, one of ABK/Bednarek/Salisu and at least one Armstrong without signing replacements, we will struggle.

The key in this league is scoring goals and Alcaraz can do that but seemingly nobody else. We really need that striker.
Predicted League table for next season on 09:19 - Jun 2 with 1586 viewsdirk_doone

Predicted League table for next season on 17:08 - Jun 1 by saint901

I'd swap Leicester and West Brom with the former going through in the play offs.

Leicester will have a real issue if Maddison goes. He makes that team and is irreplaceable.

I'd like to think we could get to fringes of play off or a little better but if we lose JWP/KWP/Lavia, one of ABK/Bednarek/Salisu and at least one Armstrong without signing replacements, we will struggle.

The key in this league is scoring goals and Alcaraz can do that but seemingly nobody else. We really need that striker.

Sulemana would score loads of goals in the Championhip if we can keep him.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Predicted League table for next season on 12:14 - Jun 2 with 1547 viewssaint901

Predicted League table for next season on 09:19 - Jun 2 by dirk_doone

Sulemana would score loads of goals in the Championhip if we can keep him.

I'm not so sure. He's a bit one dimensional and his style of play - coming from relatively deep and relying on pace - means that at the point of striking for goal, he's perhaps off balance and that lessens his percentage chance of scoring.

Tall Pual should do well, - if we can get the crosses in.
Predicted League table for next season on 06:47 - Aug 2 with 1328 viewsPatfromPoole

Thought it would be quite timely to give this thread a bump.

Haven’t seen anything to make me change my prediction.

Key weaknesses across the spine of the team have still not been addressed, and we are still affected by uncertainty over the next 4 weeks before the window ends.

Really disappointing but we all knew it would be like this.

Or did we?

Predicted League table for next season on 08:40 - Aug 2 with 1282 viewscocklebreath

No way we are finishing as low as 17th. Be shocked if we’re out of the top 10 but expect at least top 6

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Predicted League table for next season on 09:23 - Aug 2 with 1261 viewsMattFinish

Wow Pat. As you say it’s a hard one to predict and everyone will predict something different
As a glass half full type of person I’m going with Saints top two and automatic promotion
That’s based on us getting a striker. If we’d got a decent striker last season we’d be predicting where we’d finish in the PL
Russell Martin only just missed out on the playoffs last season with probably the smallest budget in the league so let’s hope for a good season, Russell Martin’s red & white army and all that stuff
Predicted League table for next season on 09:48 - Aug 2 with 1247 viewsSaintNick

Predicted League table for next season on 08:03 - May 31 by PatfromPoole

Before people start to mock…..

If it wasn’t for Reading’s 6-point deduction, Cardiff would have been relegated last season; they won 13 games last season. We won 6.

Anybody thinking we are suddenly going to go from winning 6 games in a season up to 20 (which is what you need to get in the play-offs) is wildly optimistic, when the whole nucleus of our team needs an overhaul, right through the spine of the team.

Pat when you question how we could go from winning 6 games a season to winning 20 there is history.

In 2008/09 we won 10 games and got relegated. the following season in League one we won 23.

I am sure that you will point to the signings made in 2009 such as Rickie Lambert but a fair chunk of the side was at the club in that relegation season.

Kelvin Davis, Morgan Schneiderlin, Adam Lallana, Lloyd James, Paul Wotton all played 25 games or more, whilst of the new signings , Lambert, Hammond, Harding, Antonio & Papa Waigo were the only players to top that number, the latter two mainly in sub appearances.

We were a work in progress in 2009/10, but we would still have made the play offs without the 10 point deduction.

With respect you don't compare like for like, you judge people on the Premier League and not the level they are going to play at this season.

The real issue last season was not the squad, it was the managers, yes we needed a key player or two, mainly a central defender and forward, but the rest of the squad was much better than the league table suggests.

You keep claiming that there is little difference between the Premier League outside the Big 7 and the Championship, yet the facts don't support that, Nathan Tella, 1 goal for Saints in 35 appearances for Saints, 17 goals from a similar number for Burnley, Adam Armstrong 28 goals for Blackburn in his last season which was only 2 years ago not 20 and 2 a season for Saints.

I respect everybodys opinion, but why don't we stop judging on the past and start doing it on the future, Give Russell Martin the chance to show what he can do, judge the likes of Jack Stephens and Adam Armstrong on what they do in the Championship not what they have done or haven't done in the Premier League.

You are finding everyone guilty before the evidence is presented, we are overhauling the team, but as you well know what is preventing us is the sale of those that are going, hopefully that is now starting to move

All I am saying is give everyone a clean sheet going forward and judge them on what they do next, not what has been and gone

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Predicted League table for next season on 13:54 - Aug 2 with 1173 views1teeminants

Predicted League table for next season on 08:40 - Aug 2 by cocklebreath

No way we are finishing as low as 17th. Be shocked if we’re out of the top 10 but expect at least top 6

I honestly believe the three teams that got relegated Saints, Leicester and Leeds will go straight back up . I said a while back we’ll be pleasantly surprised what players stay with us and I’ve seen nothing to change my mind.I accept there are some players that probably seek too good to be in the championship but there will be others who like RM , like his ideas and want to give it a go. I’m actually really looking forward to the season and so are many others by the look of the season ticket sales.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Predicted League table for next season on 16:58 - Aug 2 with 1114 viewsIfonly

I can't see RM out on his ear by November. It won't happen at all unless we're heading for relegation in say Feb. I think he'll still be here next season. If we really do end up with 3 managers again this year as you predict, then relegation would be a serious possibility. I don't think it'll be that bad.

If you think we'll have a bad season then it's worth a bet because the bookies disagree. W Hill are offering 10/3 against us being in the bottom half. That will give you a nice payout if you are right and the fun of watching a decent season if you are wrong.
Predicted League table for next season on 17:57 - Aug 2 with 1103 viewsMonksway

Who knows! Which is brilliant rather than being Premier League cannon fodder for the billionaire clubs and the sycophantic media. Genuinely looking forward to the season for the first time for a while. We won six times last year! Six good evenings that's all. Over my lifetime, I'm sixty five, Saints have been predominantly a struggling top division side always losing far more than we win. It would be great to celebrate a victory a bit more regularly.
Predicted League table for next season on 21:28 - Aug 2 with 1048 viewsmountsaint

You must have a boring life Pat writing up all that crap. Go back to Pompey and vegetate.
Predicted League table for next season on 22:08 - Aug 2 with 1032 viewsPatfromPoole

Predicted League table for next season on 21:28 - Aug 2 by mountsaint

You must have a boring life Pat writing up all that crap. Go back to Pompey and vegetate.

There’s nothing like a reasoned statement.

And that was nothing like a reasoned statement.

Pal.

Predicted League table for next season on 05:36 - Aug 3 with 958 viewsButty101

Predicted League table for next season on 22:08 - Aug 2 by PatfromPoole

There’s nothing like a reasoned statement.

And that was nothing like a reasoned statement.

Pal.

I tend to agree with Pat. It’s been a pretty poor preseason and we are in limbo as clubs haven’t met our transfer valuations. Fair enough to hang out for the best possible fee , but the cost is going to be the first 6 weeks of the season.
Plus our record in the cups last season against lower league teams was terrible suggesting we struggle against direct teams.
What annoys me more is Tuesday was a media day, where players messed about rolling balls in cups. Surely that time is better spent on the training ground.
For me it’s a 10th place finish after a slow start

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Predicted League table for next season on 23:27 - Aug 3 with 884 viewsSteveMoron

Leicester will win it easily.
Predicted League table for next season on 07:33 - Aug 4 with 820 viewsJellybaby

I think 17th is massively pessimistic, I would be very surprised if we are not at the very least challenging for the play offs, maybe after a 4-0 drubbing tonight I will change my mind!

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

Predicted League table for next season on 08:14 - Aug 4 with 807 views1teeminants

Predicted League table for next season on 09:23 - Aug 2 by MattFinish

Wow Pat. As you say it’s a hard one to predict and everyone will predict something different
As a glass half full type of person I’m going with Saints top two and automatic promotion
That’s based on us getting a striker. If we’d got a decent striker last season we’d be predicting where we’d finish in the PL
Russell Martin only just missed out on the playoffs last season with probably the smallest budget in the league so let’s hope for a good season, Russell Martin’s red & white army and all that stuff

I agree with this. Nobody really knows at this stage obviously but if we get a good striker in for this league, I think we’ll do well. Some people just tend to overlook the fact that RM just missed out on the play offs by three points, it’s almost like it didn’t happen and yes he will now have a bigger budget to play with. Yes we probably will concede a few due to playing it around too much at the back and it is risky but I think we’ll score a few too. I’m expecting our midfielders to chip in with a few goals , they’re all decent players for this league.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Predicted League table for next season on 21:28 - Apr 30 with 352 viewsPatfromPoole

Bump.

Just for Cocklebreath.

Mmmm, not one of my better predictions TBF.

Leicester 9th 😂

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024