Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It’s the result that matters 11:20 - Dec 24 with 1999 viewsWinchesterExile

Or is it? Personally I don’t think this is right.

It’s been said many times on this forum that all that matters is the result and how we get the result doesn’t really matter. Getting the job done is another way of saying the same thing. Now, I kind of get this but only up to a point. Supporters want to see the win of course they do but we want to see a good performance as well. We want to be entertained. We want to see quick, crisp passing. We want to see creativity and we want to see us putting real pressure on the opposition.

We get this occasionally at the moment but overwhelmingly we see long periods of ponderous possession that bore the f*uck out of me and yes we’ve been getting the results (mostly) but I come away from a win a bit frustrated and deflated sometimes. It’s not the sort of football that’s going inspire the kids and make them want to support the Saints. We’ve had some great teams in the past where you come away from a game we’ve lost but thinking “that was a great game and we played really well”. I would argue that, for the most part, this is preferable to a dull win.

Russ - you got to address this mate. Especially if we’re going to be a reasonable side in the prem. In the prem we’re just going get swamped if we invite teams on to us.

Massive possession counts for not very much I would say.
It’s the result that matters on 11:49 - Dec 24 with 1939 viewsRon11

He won't address it.
Stubborn and arrogant.
It’s the result that matters on 11:57 - Dec 24 with 1931 viewsfelly1

Fast flowing constant attacking football and win every single game by 4 GOALS... none conceded.

Free pie n pint for every fan after the game..

THIS CURRENT SIDE UNDER MARTIN ARE A DISGRACE.
MARTIN AND WILCOX OUT!!
It’s the result that matters on 12:06 - Dec 24 with 1920 viewsWinchesterExile

It’s the result that matters on 11:57 - Dec 24 by felly1

Fast flowing constant attacking football and win every single game by 4 GOALS... none conceded.

Free pie n pint for every fan after the game..

THIS CURRENT SIDE UNDER MARTIN ARE A DISGRACE.
MARTIN AND WILCOX OUT!!

But you’ve completely missed the point. I’m specifically saying I’m not fixated on the result (winning every game by 4 goals and non conceded). You need to develop a more intelligent thoughtful response.
It’s the result that matters on 12:12 - Dec 24 with 1918 viewsSouthamptonfan

We are winning games, getting clean sheets and haven't lost for 15 games. Last season, we lost every game. Yes it seems boring, ponderous at times, but I don't care as long as we get the job done, 4 nil or 1 nil. RM has built a good rapport with the fans, and I can tell you now that the fans who go to the games are f@cking loving winning games. In my opinion, we are just a good striker away from winning by more goals. Adams had a chance to score when one.on one.with the keeper, he fluffed it. We just need another decent striker.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

It’s the result that matters on 13:03 - Dec 24 with 1871 viewsfelly1

It’s the result that matters on 12:06 - Dec 24 by WinchesterExile

But you’ve completely missed the point. I’m specifically saying I’m not fixated on the result (winning every game by 4 goals and non conceded). You need to develop a more intelligent thoughtful response.

Fair enough Winch.
For you.. I guess you like to skip out of St Mary's whistling Sweet Dixie after we've just lost 3-2 at home to a last minute screamer.

For me.. I'd rather win 1 nil in a dour encounter... I like winning games... It makes me perky... Defeat makes me feel crap.
It’s the result that matters on 13:10 - Dec 24 with 1859 viewsSouthamptonfan

It’s the result that matters on 13:03 - Dec 24 by felly1

Fair enough Winch.
For you.. I guess you like to skip out of St Mary's whistling Sweet Dixie after we've just lost 3-2 at home to a last minute screamer.

For me.. I'd rather win 1 nil in a dour encounter... I like winning games... It makes me perky... Defeat makes me feel crap.

And last season we had lots of defeats. I agree, I'd take one nil over the constant misery of defeats.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

It’s the result that matters on 14:36 - Dec 24 with 1726 viewsMytchettSaint

I think this style of football when you are winning is either entertaining or bearable depending on your view point of it. Last season we passed and passed without ever looking like scoring. This season we’re winning. We could definitely do with a poacher up front. Adams is fast proving he’s not good enough for this level. It’s hard to say we’re not playing to his strengths as after all the seasons he’s been with us, I’ve no idea what they are.
What is going to absolutely kill us this season was the car crash of a September we had and the steadfast refusal to stop over playing it at the back until the side was settled and players being suitably comfortable with it.
15 game unbeaten runs don’t come around very often so I’ll enjoy that for what it is.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

It’s the result that matters on 14:46 - Dec 24 with 1722 viewsSFC_Referee

It’s the result that matters on 13:03 - Dec 24 by felly1

Fair enough Winch.

Yeah well it’s winning the games that makes you have that buzz on the way back home from the games, and gives you things you can talk about positively at the pub afterwards. It also means that when you go to work or school (for those younger new fans that Winchester was on about) and your around mates of the teams your playing against, your the one that go in there with your head held high and take the p*ss outta them, whilst when your loosing your the one that they'll take the p*ss out of, and if you start going on about how well we played or how the results weren’t fair etc… your mates and colleagues never give a toss about that, as at the end of the day you lost.

As it’s all well and good performing well and being entertaining, but I’d rather a dull 1-0 win in the EFL Cup final back in 2018 and many of the other major games we’ve lost throughout the years, than an entertaining game with us putting in a great performance, but us loosing 3-2 and not winning the games. Because it’s winning those games that get you what people talk about for years on end, not the losses where people forget after a few months of how well you played, but simply forget it all because you lost.

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Login to get fewer ads

It’s the result that matters on 18:03 - Dec 24 with 1601 viewswashington_saint

It’s the result that matters on 14:46 - Dec 24 by SFC_Referee

Yeah well it’s winning the games that makes you have that buzz on the way back home from the games, and gives you things you can talk about positively at the pub afterwards. It also means that when you go to work or school (for those younger new fans that Winchester was on about) and your around mates of the teams your playing against, your the one that go in there with your head held high and take the p*ss outta them, whilst when your loosing your the one that they'll take the p*ss out of, and if you start going on about how well we played or how the results weren’t fair etc… your mates and colleagues never give a toss about that, as at the end of the day you lost.

As it’s all well and good performing well and being entertaining, but I’d rather a dull 1-0 win in the EFL Cup final back in 2018 and many of the other major games we’ve lost throughout the years, than an entertaining game with us putting in a great performance, but us loosing 3-2 and not winning the games. Because it’s winning those games that get you what people talk about for years on end, not the losses where people forget after a few months of how well you played, but simply forget it all because you lost.

I reckon I must be in the minority here. I actually enjoy our style of playing. Yes - it can be slow and ponderous but we are also mixing it up far more no and are breaking at speed when the opportunities arise.

I love the way we play out from the back with Bazanu being immense with his feet. Very calm (yes it can sometimes go wrong) and running rings round the opposition.

Under Ralph we would be entertaining for the first half until the players ran out of steam and then we'd get steamrollered.

With a good striker to support A Armstrong (and not a permanently injured one or the completely useless Adams)
It’s the result that matters on 18:07 - Dec 24 with 1594 viewsCenturion

Most fans are happy if we are winning regardless of the football served up.
Results to me are far more important than how we win.
It’s the result that matters on 18:42 - Dec 25 with 1318 viewsSaintNick

It’s the result that matters on 18:07 - Dec 24 by Centurion

Most fans are happy if we are winning regardless of the football served up.
Results to me are far more important than how we win.

The answer is that I would rather have won the 1976 FA Cup final 1-0 in the manner we did, than got beaten 4-4 in what the pundits described as the best final in years and spent the next months eulogising about how great Saints were.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024