Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Five things from last night 08:30 - Feb 21 with 1804 viewsButty101

1) Baz is not good enough. Every game he has a mistake. Last night he was shocking. His short passing often put people in trouble. His long passing found our players twice in the whole evening.

2) Should we go up, this tippy tappy football will get slaughtered. When we get aggressively pressed it breaks down easily. I did wonder if the Hull goalkeeper was deliberately knocking the ball long to Baz so that they could then press us.

3) On Adam and Joe going home the manager said we were outstanding in the 2nd half. Personally bar the last 5 mins we were bang average.

4) why didnt we get a penalty at the end of the first half. Looked blatant.

5) Hull were very good lets hope we dont get them in the playoffs.

If we do go up this

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Five things from last night on 08:49 - Feb 21 with 1760 viewsPatfromPoole

It's the constant tinkering with the team that does my head in.

Martin got it right on Friday.

We had an extra day's rest compared with Hull, so we should have been able to keep the same team as Friday, and play Fraser and Stephens from the start.

We could easily have been 5 or 6 down at half-time last night; Hull missed loads of chances.

They are a good side; we should have gone in with our strongest side, and then potentially rest players for the Millwall game, as they clearly aren't as big a threat.

It's not rocket science.

Though I will doubtless be accused of whingeing again.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Five things from last night on 09:09 - Feb 21 with 1719 viewsRipleys_revenge

To add to the Bazunu thing, I’d add that he once again parried the ball straight to their striker for the first goal. Seems he has a real problem pushing shots to the side, seen this many times
Five things from last night on 09:35 - Feb 21 with 1669 viewsHollywood56

Five things from last night on 08:49 - Feb 21 by PatfromPoole

We had an extra day's rest compared with Hull, so we should have been able to keep the same team as Friday, and play Fraser and Stephens from the start.

We could easily have been 5 or 6 down at half-time last night; Hull missed loads of chances.

They are a good side; we should have gone in with our strongest side, and then potentially rest players for the Millwall game, as they clearly aren't as big a threat.

It's not rocket science.

Paul Merson said on Sky sports that a team of U16's could beat us we were that bad, I was thinking more U12's, what a shambles they were last night. PM said he can't see for love or money how we won 25 games on the trot with that form.
Five things from last night on 09:37 - Feb 21 with 1666 viewssaintmark1976

It's not rocket science.

Spot on Pat.

As I posted late yesterday evening after returning from St Mary’s, Russell Martin’s team selection was straight out of the Ralph playbook during the bad days of the Premiership.

Sometimes in life you can become too close a to a problem to be able to solve it. In my opinion that is what occurred with him on this occasion.He became overwhelmed with the options available to him and got it badly wrong. No harm in that, we have all done the same at times.

Going forward, he could do a lot worse than take a complete break away from the club for the rest of the week to clear his thought processes for Saturday and the rest of the season.
Five things from last night on 09:41 - Feb 21 with 1641 viewscocklebreath

Five things from last night on 09:09 - Feb 21 by Ripleys_revenge

To add to the Bazunu thing, I’d add that he once again parried the ball straight to their striker for the first goal. Seems he has a real problem pushing shots to the side, seen this many times

Agreed and his passing/kicking which is normally excellent was abysmal

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Five things from last night on 09:58 - Feb 21 with 1601 viewsGRIM

It's not rocket science.

Absolutely, spot on.
Always play your strongest team for each game as they come along.
Trying to rest & save players for future games never works.
Last night was shocking & a result of trying to tinker.
The forward line we started with were lightweight, inexperienced & non had ever played for their country. (alright AA is not inexperienced but he plays like a novice).
The three we had on the bench (Fraser / Adams/ Brookes) were all full international players. Also Joe Aribo is an international player.
They all should have started the game.
What a difference they made when they came on.
All matches now are critical (bar FA Cup) so we must always field our strongest side.
Five things from last night on 10:02 - Feb 21 with 1588 viewsGRIM

Five things from last night on 09:58 - Feb 21 by GRIM

Absolutely, spot on.
Always play your strongest team for each game as they come along.
Trying to rest & save players for future games never works.
Last night was shocking & a result of trying to tinker.
The forward line we started with were lightweight, inexperienced & non had ever played for their country. (alright AA is not inexperienced but he plays like a novice).
The three we had on the bench (Fraser / Adams/ Brookes) were all full international players. Also Joe Aribo is an international player.
They all should have started the game.
What a difference they made when they came on.
All matches now are critical (bar FA Cup) so we must always field our strongest side.

I will add to my previous post.
Perhaps RM still doesn't know what his strongest side is. !.
If he doesn't know by now then he has a serious problem.
Five things from last night on 10:25 - Feb 21 with 1519 viewsPatfromPoole

Five things from last night on 10:02 - Feb 21 by GRIM

I will add to my previous post.
Perhaps RM still doesn't know what his strongest side is. !.
If he doesn't know by now then he has a serious problem.

Or....

If he does know by now, and thinks Mara and Manning should be in his strongest side, we have an even bigger problem.

Login to get fewer ads

Five things from last night on 12:32 - Feb 21 with 1320 viewsdirk_doone

In recent years, we seem to have placed very low priority on goalkeepers. I don't know why, because it's possibly the most important position on the pitch in terms of its influence on results.

Goalkepers are relatively cheap compared to outfield players so we could easily afford a very good one. The most successful teams all have excellent goalkeepers so why don't we???

As for the Ryan Manning situation, Russell Martin and Nick obviously see something in him that the rest of us don't so I guess we are stuck with him even though he stands out, like our goalkeepers, as a glaringly obvious weak defensive link.
[Post edited 21 Feb 12:43]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Five things from last night on 12:53 - Feb 21 with 1274 viewsdirk_doone

Five things from last night on 09:35 - Feb 21 by Hollywood56

Paul Merson said on Sky sports that a team of U16's could beat us we were that bad, I was thinking more U12's, what a shambles they were last night. PM said he can't see for love or money how we won 25 games on the trot with that form.

To be fair, Will Smallbone would probably be OK against a team of U16s; it's the big adult players he struggles to compete against.
[Post edited 21 Feb 12:54]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Five things from last night on 17:04 - Feb 21 with 1032 viewsgrumpy

Five things from last night on 12:53 - Feb 21 by dirk_doone

To be fair, Will Smallbone would probably be OK against a team of U16s; it's the big adult players he struggles to compete against.
[Post edited 21 Feb 12:54]

Bazunu could be a great keeper if only he would realize he's a Goalkeeper.
Whats going on with his training? Why are they not telling him not to pass to our player who has someone bearing down on him so close to his goal?
Smallbone drifts about making easy passes.
Five things from last night on 22:47 - Feb 21 with 794 viewssaint22

Five things from last night on 10:25 - Feb 21 by PatfromPoole

Or....

If he does know by now, and thinks Mara and Manning should be in his strongest side, we have an even bigger problem.

Pat I posted exactly this elsewhere
He either doesn't know his best side or does but wont pick it because it excludes his friends or blind spots a la Manning
We had a great run but we got lucky at times and when we have come up against good attacking footballing sides we look lost and he has no plan B. We seem to have found another manager who cant start a game with the right side. In his defence he does respond and make changes early when needed, trouble being we are often two down then had a team on the hutch that should have kicked off. I don't get resting players, we have 12 games left play your best OR at least start your best, rest them when we are two nil UP not the other way round

Defensively we are still poor due to Baz and Manning - letting Perraud go was suicide without the cover - and will always be when they start
Five things from last night on 23:13 - Feb 21 with 764 viewsgreen

For (4) think we didn’t get a penalty because THB fouled him first. I haven’t seen any replays but the players didn’t seem to protest too much.

Overall thought that the referee had a shocker but just because that handball was so blatant it must have been a foul.
Five things from last night on 00:17 - Feb 22 with 723 viewssledger

we are footballs version of flat track bullies,alright when teams dont take us on but fold when teams get about us.Ive lost count of the games we got away with it and it will be more of the same if we dont pick our best side and dont learn to adapt tactically
Five things from last night on 00:59 - Feb 22 with 701 viewssaint22

Five things from last night on 00:17 - Feb 22 by sledger

we are footballs version of flat track bullies,alright when teams dont take us on but fold when teams get about us.Ive lost count of the games we got away with it and it will be more of the same if we dont pick our best side and dont learn to adapt tactically

Agreed and Martin is beginning to annoy me
I saw somewhere when asked about his selection he said hindsight is a wonderful thing!

No Russell knowing your best team to start a game would be better than hindsight ffs
Five things from last night on 09:55 - Feb 22 with 578 viewsGRIM

Five things from last night on 17:04 - Feb 21 by grumpy

Bazunu could be a great keeper if only he would realize he's a Goalkeeper.
Whats going on with his training? Why are they not telling him not to pass to our player who has someone bearing down on him so close to his goal?
Smallbone drifts about making easy passes.

In a recent after match interview RM stated that Baz is playing to instructions.
RM wants him to continue building from the back & accepts that there will be mistakes & he's OK with that.
Building from the back is fine providing you keep the ball moving & get it away from your penalty area quickly, but we don't do that, we dwell on it & take far too many risks.
I know we are trying to draw the opposition forward then break their high press, but we just aren't capable of doing it.
Five things from last night on 12:45 - Feb 22 with 522 viewsPatfromPoole

Five things from last night on 09:55 - Feb 22 by GRIM

In a recent after match interview RM stated that Baz is playing to instructions.
RM wants him to continue building from the back & accepts that there will be mistakes & he's OK with that.
Building from the back is fine providing you keep the ball moving & get it away from your penalty area quickly, but we don't do that, we dwell on it & take far too many risks.
I know we are trying to draw the opposition forward then break their high press, but we just aren't capable of doing it.

As I've mentioned on another thread, apparently Martin was going mental at Bazunu when he started kicking it long on Tuesday night.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024