Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why we are not good enough. 09:07 - Mar 3 with 2899 viewsmushinexile

We have lost as many games as Leicester but we have drawn four more. I have been worried all season about clubs that simply score more goals than we do. They bury teams and we let them back into games which is why we are eight points behind them now. Mathematically, any team down to 22nd could rob us of a playoff place with 33 up for grabs. Playoffs are not a certainly with our current form. We need to stop fielding players who leak goals and we need to do it now. Our playing style has been rumbled and a hard won three points against ten men isn't confidence inspiring. Promotion teams don't go two down in the first twenty minutes.
Why we are not good enough. on 10:45 - Mar 5 with 671 viewsgrumpy

Why we are not good enough. on 10:41 - Mar 5 by SaintNick

I think that the Big 7 leaving for a European Super league whilst not playing in the Premier League is the only way forward if football in this country is to flourish

You're probably right,Nick.
I think their fans would hate it tho.
Why we are not good enough. on 11:14 - Mar 5 with 653 viewsSaintNick

Why we are not good enough. on 10:45 - Mar 5 by grumpy

You're probably right,Nick.
I think their fans would hate it tho.

It depends on what club they follow, I would say Liverpool & Man Utd have a large core of local fans who would hate it, but a global fan base who would embrace it.

To a lesser extent the same would apply at Chelsea, Arsenal & Spurs, but they don't have the local community spirit that Liverpool & United still have.

Sadly I get the feeling that City & Newcastle fans after decades of telling everyone they were a sleeping giant would embrace it, but soon come to hate it

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Why we are not good enough. on 11:27 - Mar 5 with 645 viewssaints__fan__73

I think that the Big 7 leaving for a European Super league whilst not playing in the Premier League is the only way forward if football in this country is to flourish

Kind of agree but what do mean by flourish? It will be better for the fans of those teams in this country who tend to go to games as the league would be competitive but there will be no money in it as TV revenues would be minimal and so player standards would fall dramatically as teams could only really afford to buy players through gate receipts.

It would be like football in the 80s Nick. ;)

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Why we are not good enough. on 11:32 - Mar 5 with 641 viewsSaintNick

Why we are not good enough. on 11:27 - Mar 5 by saints__fan__73

Kind of agree but what do mean by flourish? It will be better for the fans of those teams in this country who tend to go to games as the league would be competitive but there will be no money in it as TV revenues would be minimal and so player standards would fall dramatically as teams could only really afford to buy players through gate receipts.

It would be like football in the 80s Nick. ;)

Player standards wouldn't fall dramatically, they would remain the same because essentially most of the playing squads of the "Other 13" would be exactly the same, wages would fall dramatically though, & gone would be the days of fringe players such as Alex McCarthy and Jack Stephens at clubs like Saints getting £50k a week would be gone.

Everyone would have to cut their cloth, the upcoming players such as Lavia & Livramento would still get tapped up for big wages but the rest would just see their earning potential fall

The playing standard in the Other 13 plus 7 Championship clubs would not be much different from the levels now

Why we are not good enough. on 11:44 - Mar 5 with 627 viewssaints__fan__73

Why we are not good enough. on 11:32 - Mar 5 by SaintNick

Player standards wouldn't fall dramatically, they would remain the same because essentially most of the playing squads of the "Other 13" would be exactly the same, wages would fall dramatically though, & gone would be the days of fringe players such as Alex McCarthy and Jack Stephens at clubs like Saints getting £50k a week would be gone.

Everyone would have to cut their cloth, the upcoming players such as Lavia & Livramento would still get tapped up for big wages but the rest would just see their earning potential fall

The playing standard in the Other 13 plus 7 Championship clubs would not be much different from the levels now

If there is an ESL then there would be no FFP so the big clubs would be free to hoover up as much young talent as they wanted and keep huge squads.

Given how low wages would be in the PL they could even afford to start a ESL2 reserve league and pay players massively more than the new PL could afford.

Player standard would def fall massively.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Why we are not good enough. on 11:55 - Mar 5 with 624 viewsIfonly

Why we are not good enough. on 11:32 - Mar 5 by SaintNick

I don't think so. The "other 13" all have loads of foreign players who are here for the money. Take the money away and they will go elsewhere or stay at home. It will become more like the Championship is today, dominated by British players. That will reduce standards in the short term.

But, in the long term players standards will improve because that's what they've always done. Players today are streets ahead of their 1980s counterparts. Watch a recording of the 1966 world cup final. The standard is absolute sh1te.
Why we are not good enough. on 12:38 - Mar 5 with 597 viewsFlamingbankers

I'm surprised I agree with Nick - never a truer word. And the reinstallation of a 'Division one' reserve league too please. Frankly, I miss being slaughtered 9-0 (sarcasm). Even a pathetic Sheff U didn't concede more than 6 against the Titans of the Universe, and Media-licking, Arseandall. However, we'll have to go up this year otherwise we'll dive further in debt and potential ignominy and be stuck with Martin. Martin's tactics and style will always make it 'exciting' - I'd just wish we could have the strength of character and prowess to dominate team with a sound defence, sturdy midfield and effective attack and win games 2-0 and 3-0. One can but dream. Being 'excited' every game down to the 96th minute does not bode well in truth.
Why we are not good enough. on 13:02 - Mar 5 with 588 viewsfranniesTache

Why we are not good enough. on 11:14 - Mar 5 by SaintNick

It depends on what club they follow, I would say Liverpool & Man Utd have a large core of local fans who would hate it, but a global fan base who would embrace it.

To a lesser extent the same would apply at Chelsea, Arsenal & Spurs, but they don't have the local community spirit that Liverpool & United still have.

Sadly I get the feeling that City & Newcastle fans after decades of telling everyone they were a sleeping giant would embrace it, but soon come to hate it

Sorry nick but that's bollocks mush, Spurs have a very close bound to the local community and if you walk around Haringey borough at any time you'll see a ton of Spurs shirts and connection to the fans there.

Arsenal maybe i'd agree with, they tend to be the club of toffs and tarquins who've moved into london, and Chelsea have spread out to north hampshire and bits of Kent now (in the same way West Ham have moved to Essex).

Conversely i'd say Liverpool from experience of being up there is probably a lot more removed from the local community, and with a significantly higher percentage of out of towners and tourists
Login to get fewer ads

Why we are not good enough. on 13:07 - Mar 5 with 584 viewsPatfromPoole

Why we are not good enough. on 13:02 - Mar 5 by franniesTache

Sorry nick but that's bollocks mush, Spurs have a very close bound to the local community and if you walk around Haringey borough at any time you'll see a ton of Spurs shirts and connection to the fans there.

Arsenal maybe i'd agree with, they tend to be the club of toffs and tarquins who've moved into london, and Chelsea have spread out to north hampshire and bits of Kent now (in the same way West Ham have moved to Essex).

Conversely i'd say Liverpool from experience of being up there is probably a lot more removed from the local community, and with a significantly higher percentage of out of towners and tourists

When we were in Liverpool last Wednesday, I firmly formed the view that if I had grown up in Merseyside, I would have been an Everton fan.

Some may say I was born bitter.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Why we are not good enough. on 13:34 - Mar 5 with 559 viewsSaintNick

Why we are not good enough. on 13:02 - Mar 5 by franniesTache

You would know better than me, but I get the feeling that although that the area around the ground isn't a hot bed of Spurs support, perhaps the surrounding areas a little more like Edmonton.

With regards Liverpool, there is still a lot of support for Liverpool in the City itself, but a lot of that support can no longer attend the games, if you havent got a season ticket you have little chance of getting a ticket again and that is sad.

Anfield is full of out of towners and tourists these days, but there is still a large scouse support still going and as mentioned now unable to go.

The problem is that most non Liverpool fans don't distinguish between the out of towners and armchair Liverpool fans mouthing off at them on social media and those fans that live in the City and hate what the club has become.

Imagine if Saints suddenly had 15,000 Scandinavians, Irishmen and Northeners buy up season tickets and you suddenly couldn't go to St Mary's anymore, how would that make you feel.

Why we are not good enough. on 13:50 - Mar 5 with 545 viewsfelly1

Why we are not good enough. on 11:55 - Mar 5 by Ifonly

I don't think so. The "other 13" all have loads of foreign players who are here for the money. Take the money away and they will go elsewhere or stay at home. It will become more like the Championship is today, dominated by British players. That will reduce standards in the short term.

But, in the long term players standards will improve because that's what they've always done. Players today are streets ahead of their 1980s counterparts. Watch a recording of the 1966 world cup final. The standard is absolute sh1te.

I agree about the standard of football in previous eras.
I watched the Saints v Pompey 1987 derby at Fratton Park on YouTube.
2-2 draw.
The standard of football is pretty shocking, it's like National league football now.
I guess we knew no better and like most on here I look back fondly to those days.
But what anyone says about modern football its light years higher in skill, speed, technical ability, tactics etc etc.
Why we are not good enough. on 14:39 - Mar 5 with 525 viewsSaintNick

Why we are not good enough. on 11:55 - Mar 5 by Ifonly

You are missing my point, yes there are foreigners here for the money, they will still be here, just not for so much money as before.

The Championship probably does have more English players than Foreigners, but in the Premier League bottom half, the standard of the foreign players is not that great

Why we are not good enough. on 16:20 - Mar 5 with 470 viewsfranniesTache

Why we are not good enough. on 13:34 - Mar 5 by SaintNick

You would know better than me, but I get the feeling that although that the area around the ground isn't a hot bed of Spurs support, perhaps the surrounding areas a little more like Edmonton.

With regards Liverpool, there is still a lot of support for Liverpool in the City itself, but a lot of that support can no longer attend the games, if you havent got a season ticket you have little chance of getting a ticket again and that is sad.

Anfield is full of out of towners and tourists these days, but there is still a large scouse support still going and as mentioned now unable to go.

The problem is that most non Liverpool fans don't distinguish between the out of towners and armchair Liverpool fans mouthing off at them on social media and those fans that live in the City and hate what the club has become.

Imagine if Saints suddenly had 15,000 Scandinavians, Irishmen and Northeners buy up season tickets and you suddenly couldn't go to St Mary's anymore, how would that make you feel.

I lived in South Tottenham for a bit, pretty much everything north of there, east to Walthamstow and west to Green Lanes is Spurs.

Edmonton tends to be more of an Arsenal/Spurs mix, same as Enfield.

My assumptions on Liverpool aren't really based on going to games, i worked there for a while and met far more Bluenoses than i did Reds, in fact that running joke i had with my workmates was that the only Liverpool fans i'd met all came from London, and all the scousers were Everton fans.
[Post edited 5 Mar 16:21]
Why we are not good enough. on 18:49 - Mar 5 with 409 viewscocklebreath

Sounds great less money for players and probably less foreign players meaning local
Lads might have a chance of getting somewhere, really can’t see a downside.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Why we are not good enough. on 19:33 - Mar 5 with 353 viewssolent_toffee

Couldn’t agree more. It’s a cartel, just look at Villa. Got a great manager, got a great squad, knocking on the door of the top four, looks like they’ve broken the frankly PSR rules nd will probably have to sell in the summer to try and escape punishment.

No doubt their players will be sold on the cheap to the likes of Chelsea who can pretty much do what the bloody hell they like.
Why we are not good enough. on 21:26 - Mar 5 with 300 viewsIfonly

Why we are not good enough. on 14:39 - Mar 5 by SaintNick

You are missing my point, yes there are foreigners here for the money, they will still be here, just not for so much money as before.

The Championship probably does have more English players than Foreigners, but in the Premier League bottom half, the standard of the foreign players is not that great

You are missing my point. The foreigners won't be here, or not nearly so many of them, because the money would no longer be here. Those foreigners are better players than the Brits that would take their place. We know that because we see those Brits playing in the Championship each week. If not, why do the PL sides sign those foreigners rather than sign Brits out of the Championship?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024