Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5 Things About West Brom 10:11 - May 13 with 2813 viewsSaintNick

1. The atmosphere created by the home supporters in the opening minutes was superb, definitely the best home support I have seen this season and perhaps the best that i can remember in recent years, we have to match that on Friday evening.

2. The Hawthorns must be one of the easiest ground to reach by road or train, it is right by the M5 and it has a train/tram service from Birmingham city centre only 150 metres from the ground itself.

3. Our fans were also magnificent once they got going

4. Our team has got it's mojo back.

5. My mouth is still burning from the Chicken Tikka I had in the Vine pub after the game

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

5 Things About West Brom on 11:56 - May 13 with 2295 viewsfranniesTache

1. Drinking in brum and going to the ground was the best choice, pubs were quiet, quick to get served and no noddy singing at the minimum wage bar staff

2. It was bloody warm in that away, with hindsight i probably didn't need a jacket

3. Alex McCarthy was brilliant, almost certainly stopped us going back to St Mary's with a goal or two deficit and his save low from the header is the sort of save that gets you promoted

4. Our support was - on the whole - very, very good. But yet we still sung about libraries. It's genuinely bizarre how people will pipe up with that when it bears no relationship at all to the home support

5. I'm actually much more confident about friday now than i was before, my main complaint about this side is they don't have the mentality when they're under pressure, but i think that was the first time i've seen them not be phased by the occasion
5 Things About West Brom on 12:15 - May 13 with 2256 viewsPatfromPoole

1. We also drank in town, think we may have seen the forum editor in The Windsor pre-match. So much nicer not to have long queues at the bar or plastic glasses.

2. West Brom is my favourite away day. I love their ground, always a good atmosphere there and a decent away end, albeit a few hundred seats less than we would prefer. They are good fans, West Brom. Passionate but without being a nasty sinister edge.

3. It was indeed very hot up there.

4. We got a very early train up there yesterday, which it sounds like we didn't need to do, as the 9.15am train from Central was not the carnage I had thought it would be.

5. The sped up version of OWTS definitely needs persisting with.
[Post edited 13 May 12:38]

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

5 Things About West Brom on 13:07 - May 13 with 2159 viewsBuggalugs

It was indeed a great atmosphere in the ground from both sets of fans, but they did have a drum, which limits the credit I'm prepared to give them.

Also, I've seen lots of comments online from their fans saying our support was really poor and we could barely be heard from the other end. Not sure what to make of that as they did give us a lot of credit after the league game up there.

From the away end, it certainly seemed like we couldn't have done a lot more in terms of noise and was definitely our best support of the season for me.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

5 Things About West Brom on 13:32 - May 13 with 2097 viewsAvior

Regarding the away support and whether it was loud or not don't forget that Sky have started scrimping on the number of microphones they have around the ground and have always had the ability to turn up and down the volume from various parts of the ground.
5 Things About West Brom on 14:26 - May 13 with 2000 viewsGasGiant

5 Things About West Brom on 12:15 - May 13 by PatfromPoole

1. We also drank in town, think we may have seen the forum editor in The Windsor pre-match. So much nicer not to have long queues at the bar or plastic glasses.

2. West Brom is my favourite away day. I love their ground, always a good atmosphere there and a decent away end, albeit a few hundred seats less than we would prefer. They are good fans, West Brom. Passionate but without being a nasty sinister edge.

3. It was indeed very hot up there.

4. We got a very early train up there yesterday, which it sounds like we didn't need to do, as the 9.15am train from Central was not the carnage I had thought it would be.

5. The sped up version of OWTS definitely needs persisting with.
[Post edited 13 May 12:38]

Agree.
And re the" sped up" version of OWTS, that should read "The proper Southampton version"
5 Things About West Brom on 14:32 - May 13 with 1992 viewsNumber_58

5 Things About West Brom on 13:32 - May 13 by Avior

Regarding the away support and whether it was loud or not don't forget that Sky have started scrimping on the number of microphones they have around the ground and have always had the ability to turn up and down the volume from various parts of the ground.

Sky seemed to turn up the microphones every time Will Smallbone took a corner. The Harry Potter chant wasn't particularly funny or original the first time they did it, but after the fourth or fifth corner I was rather hoping the commentator might explain why they were singing it, and why alopecia's not really a laughing matter.
5 Things About West Brom on 17:54 - May 13 with 1758 viewsSonicBoom

Tbf the one gripe u can have with our fans is that we really do have one song really. Occasionally we get something else like the Rivkie Lambert song for example. But other than that it's just owts over and over.
I've no idea why, but some other clubs seem to have a dozen songs they go through but we never do. Dunno why?
We are as loud as anyone else on the day, just wish we had a few other decent songs.
5 Things About West Brom on 19:27 - May 13 with 1656 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

" Our fans were also magnificent ONCE THEY GOT GOING "

Quite possibly the funniest post so far this year

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Login to get fewer ads

5 Things About West Brom on 21:06 - May 13 with 1530 viewsgrumpy

5 Things About West Brom on 19:27 - May 13 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

This coming from a fan whose club has a clown with a bell ringing all game.
5 Things About West Brom on 06:31 - May 14 with 1285 viewssaintwizzler

You should of had the Chicken Tarka.
It’s like a Tikka but a little otter.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

5 Things About West Brom on 07:55 - May 14 with 1228 viewsBerber

5 Things About West Brom on 21:06 - May 13 by grumpy

This coming from a fan whose club has a clown with a bell ringing all game.

It is socially responsible, for lepers.
5 Things About West Brom on 10:01 - May 14 with 1138 viewsSaintNick

5 Things About West Brom on 19:27 - May 13 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Yes you are right, just as funny though was Pompey fans who certainly weren't magnificent once they got going the last time we played you, once we got the 4th they really got going, out of the exits

5 Things About West Brom on 10:58 - May 14 with 1092 viewssaints__fan__73

Team's got its mojo back?

Really? We looked like we could play until Christmas and not score a goal (if they didn't give us a nice defection to give the keeper a bit of a challenge).

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

5 Things About West Brom on 12:01 - May 14 with 1039 viewsSaintNick

5 Things About West Brom on 10:58 - May 14 by saints__fan__73

Really? We looked like we could play until Christmas and not score a goal (if they didn't give us a nice defection to give the keeper a bit of a challenge).

Im glad to see you can take some positives from a draw with a side who had the second best defensive record at home in the regular season and who had only been bettered by two other teams in the least number of home defeats

5 Things About West Brom on 12:20 - May 14 with 1017 viewsPatfromPoole

Having been at the game, I recorded it on SKY and watched the recording last night.

Having watched it back, I think the whole tie could have been over after 10 minutes.

We started incredibly sloppily, kept giving the ball away, and West Brom could easily have been 3 up.

We came into the game more as it went on, but the same old weaknesses reared their head again.

Their right-winger had the beating of Manning, and their best chance in the first-half came from there being hardly any effort from Manning to block a cross.

And Sekou. What can be said about him that hasn't already been said?

I don't think he would score more than 6 goals a season if he moved to a League 1 team.

And their chance towards the end which McCarthy saved, leading to Stewart's deflected shot. How their winger got past (I think) Downes and Jack Stephens down the touchline was fairly criminal.

Still, good to see Aribo can last on the pitch for 90 minutes. And McCarthy having another good game will only make our defence more confident.

5 Things About West Brom on 12:22 - May 14 with 1009 viewsfranniesTache

5 Things About West Brom on 12:20 - May 14 by PatfromPoole

Having been at the game, I recorded it on SKY and watched the recording last night.

Having watched it back, I think the whole tie could have been over after 10 minutes.

We started incredibly sloppily, kept giving the ball away, and West Brom could easily have been 3 up.

We came into the game more as it went on, but the same old weaknesses reared their head again.

Their right-winger had the beating of Manning, and their best chance in the first-half came from there being hardly any effort from Manning to block a cross.

And Sekou. What can be said about him that hasn't already been said?

I don't think he would score more than 6 goals a season if he moved to a League 1 team.

And their chance towards the end which McCarthy saved, leading to Stewart's deflected shot. How their winger got past (I think) Downes and Jack Stephens down the touchline was fairly criminal.

Still, good to see Aribo can last on the pitch for 90 minutes. And McCarthy having another good game will only make our defence more confident.

See i said this and got told i was wrong, but it was obvious from where i was stood we got very, very lucky not to go in 2/3 down at the break
5 Things About West Brom on 14:19 - May 14 with 920 viewskingslandstand1

5 Things About West Brom on 06:31 - May 14 by saintwizzler

You should of had the Chicken Tarka.
It’s like a Tikka but a little otter.

Showing age a bit though .............. spoiler alert, the shovel did it!!
5 Things About West Brom on 14:41 - May 14 with 903 viewsSaintNick

5 Things About West Brom on 12:22 - May 14 by franniesTache

See i said this and got told i was wrong, but it was obvious from where i was stood we got very, very lucky not to go in 2/3 down at the break

You are right they had a lot of possession in the first10 minutes and went at us like a train, but we coped fairly well and they didn't create much, the only chance i thought they should have scored was the header saved by McCarthy, but bear in mind the stats from the game were very similar for both sides

We had 64% possession they had 36% most in the first 10 minutes it felt.

They had 14 shots we had 12, they got 2 attempts on target and we got 3, with 4 blocked shots for them and 3 for us, they missed 8 to our 6.

5 Things About West Brom on 15:14 - May 14 with 879 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

'Southampton encourage fans to create atmosphere ahead of West Brom tie'

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/24318264.southampton-encourage-fans-create-atm

Thats really nice isn't it, the club trying to encourage the fans to make an atmosphere. What a forward looking club you have there

5 Things About West Brom on 15:15 - May 14 with 877 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

5 Things About West Brom on 10:01 - May 14 by SaintNick

Yes you are right, just as funny though was Pompey fans who certainly weren't magnificent once they got going the last time we played you, once we got the 4th they really got going, out of the exits

You lot would have left after the second goal me thinks

5 Things About West Brom on 15:36 - May 14 with 860 viewsSFC_Referee

5 Things About West Brom on 10:58 - May 14 by saints__fan__73

Yeh but that’s with Che out injured, and Ross Stewart still not being able to start meaning we had to start Mara, as if one of those two had started over Mara then I’d of thought we would’ve probably won that game.
But even then, a 0-0 ain’t a bad result for how good their home record is, as it’s now practically a one legged tie, which is at St Mary’s, and with West Brom’s poor away record and our decent home one, it’s set us up for well for Friday, whilst a late goal to them on Sunday would’ve changed all that.

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

5 Things About West Brom on 18:23 - May 14 with 758 viewscocklebreath

5 Things About West Brom on 12:22 - May 14 by franniesTache

Yes but you have to remember this is pessimistic pats thoughts, most woukd have watched and thought draw was a fair result, yes we started badly but came into the game after 15 minutes

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

5 Things About West Brom on 12:27 - May 15 with 596 viewsPatfromPoole

5 Things About West Brom on 18:23 - May 14 by cocklebreath

Yes but you have to remember this is pessimistic pats thoughts, most woukd have watched and thought draw was a fair result, yes we started badly but came into the game after 15 minutes

A draw was probably a fair result over the whole game.

But we started terribly and could have easily have been 3-0 down after 10 minutes if West Brom had had their shooting boots on.

5 Things About West Brom on 12:51 - May 15 with 568 viewssaintwizzler

5 Things About West Brom on 12:27 - May 15 by PatfromPoole

A draw was probably a fair result over the whole game.

But we started terribly and could have easily have been 3-0 down after 10 minutes if West Brom had had their shooting boots on.

If only Adams or Stewart had of been 100% match fit…

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

5 Things About West Brom on 13:07 - May 15 with 551 viewsSaintNick

5 Things About West Brom on 12:51 - May 15 by saintwizzler

If only Adams or Stewart had of been 100% match fit…

It would have been a help, but West Brom only conceded 17 goals in 23 home matches, so they are very tight at the back.

Away from home they are a different proposition, only won 6 games, drew 8 and lost 9, scored 32 and conceded 30, only Norwich in the top 10 had a worse away record

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024