Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mason Holgate from Everton 23:07 - Jul 11 with 1103 viewsPatfromPoole

Another one for the rumour mill.

Right sort of age at 26.

Could be a good option; not sure if his passing ability is suited to Rustyball though….

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12288701/Southampton-hold-dis

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Mason Holgate from Everton on 09:08 - Jul 12 with 933 viewssolent_toffee

Man City were sniffing after him a few years ago for a lot of money when he was doing very well under Ancellotti. He then went into the wilderness under Benitez, Lampard and Dyche. He needs to move as he needs to play and is probably done now at Everton.

Did very well for West Brom when he was on loan there a few years ago in the Championship.

Probably a good move for all concerned.
Mason Holgate from Everton on 09:20 - Jul 12 with 923 viewsSaintNick

Mason Holgate from Everton on 09:08 - Jul 12 by solent_toffee

Man City were sniffing after him a few years ago for a lot of money when he was doing very well under Ancellotti. He then went into the wilderness under Benitez, Lampard and Dyche. He needs to move as he needs to play and is probably done now at Everton.

Did very well for West Brom when he was on loan there a few years ago in the Championship.

Probably a good move for all concerned.

Looking at Everton message boards, they dont seem very enamoured of him

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Mason Holgate from Everton on 09:53 - Jul 12 with 905 viewsIfonly

His passing ability maybe the only decent thing about him. As a defender he's sh*te, makes too many mistakes and at 27 no longer a prospect. Hope he doesn't sign.
Mason Holgate from Everton on 10:15 - Jul 12 with 890 viewsRon11

Mason Holgate from Everton on 09:53 - Jul 12 by Ifonly

His passing ability maybe the only decent thing about him. As a defender he's sh*te, makes too many mistakes and at 27 no longer a prospect. Hope he doesn't sign.

If his defending is shite he’ll fit in well. But if he’s not played out of position as have so many of defenders in the last couple of seasons, he might fit in with a bit of consistency. Can’t be any more hit or miss than Salisu who allegedly couldn’t cope with the climate when first came here and Ketchup who despite being a big strong lad appears to be a pussy made of glass on occasion. Bednarek still likes to turn the other way and bend over when the ball comes straight at him. Jack Stephens seems to have done OK at Muff but then maybe he’s had most of his mistakes coached out of him. Walker-Peters and Perraud are rumoured to be on the way out. Lyanco I think would be OK in the Championship, maybe between red cards…..but please no more McCarthy.
Mason Holgate from Everton on 10:33 - Jul 12 with 872 viewsPatfromPoole

Mason Holgate from Everton on 10:15 - Jul 12 by Ron11

If his defending is shite he’ll fit in well. But if he’s not played out of position as have so many of defenders in the last couple of seasons, he might fit in with a bit of consistency. Can’t be any more hit or miss than Salisu who allegedly couldn’t cope with the climate when first came here and Ketchup who despite being a big strong lad appears to be a pussy made of glass on occasion. Bednarek still likes to turn the other way and bend over when the ball comes straight at him. Jack Stephens seems to have done OK at Muff but then maybe he’s had most of his mistakes coached out of him. Walker-Peters and Perraud are rumoured to be on the way out. Lyanco I think would be OK in the Championship, maybe between red cards…..but please no more McCarthy.

Salisu couldn’t cope with the climate, you say?

Not heard that one before….

The idea if you’re a bit cold is to run around a bit, my love.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Mason Holgate from Everton on 10:52 - Jul 12 with 858 viewsRon11

Mason Holgate from Everton on 10:33 - Jul 12 by PatfromPoole

Remember when he first came here we didn’t see him playing for quite a while, he wasn’t coping with cold too well. Maybe I’ve got it wrong..,,
Mason Holgate from Everton on 12:01 - Jul 12 with 809 viewsSaintNick

Mason Holgate from Everton on 09:53 - Jul 12 by Ifonly

Speaking to an Everton season ticket holder they said there were high hopes for Holgate and he was a decent defender, his problem though was he tried to play too much from the back and got caught out too much.

Perhaps in the Championship he will have more time on the ball and up against less quality players so could be worth a try

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Mason Holgate from Everton on 12:30 - Jul 12 with 777 viewsIfonly

Mason Holgate from Everton on 12:01 - Jul 12 by SaintNick

Speaking to an Everton season ticket holder they said there were high hopes for Holgate and he was a decent defender, his problem though was he tried to play too much from the back and got caught out too much.

Perhaps in the Championship he will have more time on the ball and up against less quality players so could be worth a try

Based on what I've seen the main problems were that he made too many mistakes (yes including giving the ball away but also poor positioning / concentration) and was too lightweight so was bullied (maybe he could bulk up?). OTOH, he looked comfortable enough on the ball and when pushing forward could find a pass. I think that's why they tried to convert him from CB to full back but to me he's neither one or the other.

He's not good enough for the Prem (that's why Everton are selling) and at 27 he's not going to improve much, so unless we want to stay in the Championship I don't think we should be buying. If we do sign him, hopefully I'll be proved wrong.
Login to get fewer ads

Mason Holgate from Everton on 14:22 - Jul 12 with 699 viewssolent_toffee

Mason Holgate from Everton on 09:20 - Jul 12 by SaintNick

Looking at Everton message boards, they dont seem very enamoured of him

I can only remember him playing twice last season, once in the cup against Bournemouth when the entire team was hopeless and against Palace when he got off for two yellows. A few years ago he was decent but he’s not premier league standard now. Had Everton gone down, I’d have kept him for the championship. I think he’s so well at that level.
Mason Holgate from Everton on 16:58 - Jul 12 with 623 viewssledger

Mason Holgate from Everton on 10:33 - Jul 12 by PatfromPoole

doubt salisu absence was anything to do with the climate,either a genuine injury or something else more serious prevented him from playing for ages,he doesnt seem that dedicated and there seems to be little interest in him.As for the german international he snaps every other game,both can go for me
Mason Holgate from Everton on 17:12 - Jul 12 with 602 viewsMattFinish

Surely he's far too old for us although we may need him as Caballero retiring brought our average age down to 15
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024