Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
for the older swans fan 13:12 - Mar 7 with 7748 viewsdulaisjack

we have now left the vetch many years ago now and made our home at the liberty, for all you older fans what do you miss the most from the old vetch days.
Will start it off looking at the flood lights at an evening game hearing the north bank singing
[Post edited 7 Mar 2014 13:13]
for the older swans fan on 13:18 - Mar 7 with 4858 viewsChief

wouldn't neccessarily call myself an older fan but i fondly remember the booming noise made by someone kicking the boards at the back of the north bank

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

for the older swans fan on 13:21 - Mar 7 with 4841 viewsBaker

Being able to stand wherever you liked with your mates and The Garibaldi.

That's what I miss most.

May I say? what a smashing blouse you have on!

for the older swans fan on 13:23 - Mar 7 with 4831 viewsbuilthjack

I don't miss the smell of pi55 on the Tarmac behind the north bank!

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

for the older swans fan on 13:23 - Mar 7 with 4829 viewsQuakerJack

for the older swans fan on 13:21 - Mar 7 by Baker

That's what I miss most.

couldn't have said it better myself...

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

for the older swans fan on 13:25 - Mar 7 with 4828 viewsdulaisjack

now there is a name from the past garibaldi use to get so full of real swansea supporters young to the very old never any sign of trouble
for the older swans fan on 13:26 - Mar 7 with 4822 viewsbuilthjack

Macari's or Rossi's eh?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

for the older swans fan on 13:27 - Mar 7 with 4821 viewspencoedjack

The pasties / standing / pub crawl from train station down/ Turn up on day with mates and all be stood together/ Being a shite team/ Smoking in ground/ Loutish behaviour/ Lack of plastics/ Less women kids/ Back to Marthas/Ritzy/No H&S/ Blokes who have a florescent jacket not being do gooders.

Being younger and not suffering from the effects of all above ...
for the older swans fan on 13:32 - Mar 7 with 4795 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

The whole experience of the day.

Early morning rise to get everything done before having a few pints in the local before catching in lift up to the Wyndham.

Pint and a fag outside then trying to work out if we could fit another beer in at 2.55 and still make ko - we always did!!

As a fan this doesn't even seem in the same ballpark as where we are now - not to say I preferred one or the other but while the quality of the football is much better I sometimes miss the Saturdays of old

Mind you I'm a bit older now and probably couldn't do what I used to anymore anyway!

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Login to get fewer ads

for the older swans fan on 13:35 - Mar 7 with 4783 viewsBaker

for the older swans fan on 13:32 - Mar 7 by PatchesOHoulihan

The whole experience of the day.

Early morning rise to get everything done before having a few pints in the local before catching in lift up to the Wyndham.

Pint and a fag outside then trying to work out if we could fit another beer in at 2.55 and still make ko - we always did!!

As a fan this doesn't even seem in the same ballpark as where we are now - not to say I preferred one or the other but while the quality of the football is much better I sometimes miss the Saturdays of old

Mind you I'm a bit older now and probably couldn't do what I used to anymore anyway!

2:55!!!

Poof!

*polishes 2:58 badge*

for the older swans fan on 13:37 - Mar 7 with 4779 viewsTokijo

I miss dodging the piss where everyone used to go to back of North Bank to take a leak which dribbled down on to the steps on way out.
for the older swans fan on 13:40 - Mar 7 with 4766 viewslegoman

Ahhh, the romance of the beautiful game!

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

for the older swans fan on 13:41 - Mar 7 with 4764 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

for the older swans fan on 13:35 - Mar 7 by Baker

2:55!!!

Poof!

*polishes 2:58 badge*

I wouldn't find my way out of there if I tried the 2 minute challenge!!

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

for the older swans fan on 13:48 - Mar 7 with 4748 viewsBaker

for the older swans fan on 13:41 - Mar 7 by PatchesOHoulihan

I wouldn't find my way out of there if I tried the 2 minute challenge!!

My excuse for leaving it so late was to avoid the 'huge' queues down there *insert pinocchio smiley*

for the older swans fan on 13:50 - Mar 7 with 4743 viewsGretsch

for the older swans fan on 13:23 - Mar 7 by QuakerJack

couldn't have said it better myself...

Yeah the freedom to raom during a game if you wished.
for the older swans fan on 13:56 - Mar 7 with 4728 viewsairedale

for the older swans fan on 13:21 - Mar 7 by Baker

That's what I miss most.

Builders man myself.
for the older swans fan on 13:57 - Mar 7 with 4723 viewsairedale

for the older swans fan on 13:27 - Mar 7 by pencoedjack

The pasties / standing / pub crawl from train station down/ Turn up on day with mates and all be stood together/ Being a shite team/ Smoking in ground/ Loutish behaviour/ Lack of plastics/ Less women kids/ Back to Marthas/Ritzy/No H&S/ Blokes who have a florescent jacket not being do gooders.

Being younger and not suffering from the effects of all above ...

Marthas? Oh you mean Arthurs Scrapyard!
for the older swans fan on 14:03 - Mar 7 with 4692 viewsRancid

The location.I used to love Friday night games and we always used to seem to win them.In town by 5,hit the Gari or the Queens and then into the game.Straight after that if there wasn't a ruck available with opposing fans we'd head for Marthas window and take the place over.Central Park then and through the gap into Ritzy's all whizzing our tits off 5 pound wraps.
for the older swans fan on 14:10 - Mar 7 with 4672 viewsLeonisGod

I was only ever down here visiting my missus (then girlfriend) in those days, so rarely happened to coincide with a home game and then only for the last season in the Vetch (#plastic). So I can only remember attending 1 match around Easter time. I think is was Cambridge and 'we' won 3-0 (or it might have been macclesfield and we won 2-0); I'm not one of those who remembers who passed to who on 17 minutes back in 1985).

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, I'm not really qualified for this discussion but remember thinking back then how fantastically convenient it was to have a footie ground practically next door to the house. Plenty of these out of town stadia were being built then (Bolton, Reading, etc). I also remember walking in for the first time and thinking I'd stepped into a time warp, with the rickety old stands and narrow access ways behind. Little did I know it was going to be the start of an obsession....
for the older swans fan on 14:11 - Mar 7 with 4671 viewsswanny

Drinking in the Gari, getting absolutely rat arsed with my brother while my husband was working away, strangers in the ground pointing to where I usually stood when I was lost, walking back home to the Uplands via the Brunswick in some sort of mad/glad shouting crowd with just a sense of belonging, occasionally falling asleep in the bath afterwards. It was a Golden era.
I'm glad to have my husband working from home now - I have to say that in case he's lurking!

'Sorry, your password must contain a capital letter, two numbers, a symbol, an inspiring message, a spell, a gang sign, a hieroglyph and the blood of a virgin"

for the older swans fan on 14:15 - Mar 7 with 4663 viewswizardwade

literally following play up the touchline,full pelt!!!
the same 2 old guys from bonymaen used give me and my mate ned a tangerine everygame! good days!
for the older swans fan on 14:23 - Mar 7 with 4638 viewsmonmouth

The floodlit nights, pipe smoke smell and the sense of wonder of watching heroes like Dai Gwyther and Clive Slattery that only an 11 year old could have really.

Plus of course the mental mad crush of the last games in the promotion season(s) half pissed and all together with everyone on the bank. Score a goal end up 20 feet from starting position. Lost two pairs of specs, both because of Charlo.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

for the older swans fan on 14:28 - Mar 7 with 4617 viewsBrynmill_Jack

for the older swans fan on 13:23 - Mar 7 by builthjack

I don't miss the smell of pi55 on the Tarmac behind the north bank!

Early season (still summer) games , with the sun out til 8.30-9 o'clock, the smell of the freshly mown grass, pipe and cigar smoke and being able to stand (and sometimes in another bank/stand). Bovril and the first visit to the bogs where the smell of p*ss/ammonia could only mean you were in one place.
Nostalgia eh?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

for the older swans fan on 14:30 - Mar 7 with 4614 viewsDull1Thomas

Pretty much everything.
The North Bank
The grittiness
Standing
The smell
Being able to move from one end to the other after half time to be nearer the end we were attacking
Being able to avoid the rain by moving back from the touchline
The memories

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

for the older swans fan on 14:33 - Mar 7 with 4600 viewsAnotherJohn

I liked the proximity to the town and the local hostelries, and the convenience of walking to and from games.
for the older swans fan on 14:34 - Mar 7 with 4598 viewsDevz00

Standing on the North Bank and being next to the away fans for the first half with the Swans attacking left to right then going down the other end and standing near the East stand/terrance to be at the same end the Swans were attacking in the second half. Haha that is ridiculous when you think about it!

Loved the old club shop too. Popping in to see Myra and her going through a shoe box for your tickets if it was a cup game! Legend.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2014 14:38]

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024