Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pen y Fan walk 18:34 - Apr 17 with 3240 viewsJackfath

I am ashamed to say I've never walked to the summit of Pen y Fan.

Could someone with experience of this let me know where to drive to in order to walk this?
Clearly I would need the location of a car park and not "witty" answers like "I'd go to the bottom of Pen y Fan" etc etc

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Pen y Fan walk on 07:59 - Apr 19 with 511 viewsLord_Bony

I actually went up Pen y Fan last Christmas ...just a word of caution in the winter turned out to be a bit dangerous.

Anyways,late afternoon it was clear in the car park went up,near the top mrs and 4yr old went back to car,I decided to get to the top.it was about 4 and I knew it would be getting dark soon so thought I d better be quick.it was a bit snowy up there,lots of ice on the path.
The weather started closing in rapidly...by this time I think I was the last one up there..I got to the top where there's a rough monument built of some stones,normally some army guys hanging round there.spent two mins there then as it was getting dark decided I'd get back down and sharpish.

It's was then that a blanket of mist hit the mountain....it started blowing a gale and snowing,visibility was only just a few feet in front in the fading light,coming off the peak you have to climb down some rocky bits and the path then diverges into different directions so be careful.

I was lucky because I've been there several times I knew which way...I was the last one to come down in darkness into the car park eventually but I knew it was a safe,easy walk down the path so no panic...but if I did nt know the layout there it could have been different...prob still be there somewhere lol.

So the moral of the story,in summer it's fine no worries on nice days.but in winter some of these places can be dangerous and a bit deceiving...so be careful and be prepared for all eventualities.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2014 8:04]

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024