Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Right then-NEW MANAGER 17:08 - Apr 19 with 11754 viewsmagicdaps10

Monk is not the man so who should it be??

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:14 - Apr 21 with 910 viewsDr_Winston

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:12 - Apr 21 by Uxbridge

I think he might too. It might even work. It might be a genius move. Doesn't mean it's the right one though.

It's a big gamble. Sometimes they pay off. Usually they don't.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:16 - Apr 21 with 902 viewsUxbridge

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:14 - Apr 21 by Dr_Winston

It's a big gamble. Sometimes they pay off. Usually they don't.

Yup. Anyway, all I hope is that the club thoroughly investigate all available options before going one way or other. Am sure they will.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:16 - Apr 21 with 900 viewsAngelRangelQS

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:09 - Apr 21 by Oldjack

If you lot think some big shot manager will magical appear to take the reins they you will be disappointed be very careful what you wish for. Monks is finding his feet after been thrown in at the deep end and we're still afloat ,I think he'll get offered the job and i'm fine with that

Why does it have to be a big shot manager? There's never any middle ground with Swans fans.
Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:19 - Apr 21 with 891 viewsUxbridge

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:08 - Apr 21 by IAN05

In seriousness though, I agree. Ticketing issues, stadium issues, use of dividends etc etc are all things that fans could and should be consulted on.

The divi I certainly agree, as said here enough times. Guess there's two paths here ... constant communication with members and things which are a major change which need a mandate from members. Can't go back to members every week and the board are elected for a reason, but sometimes it's desirable imo.

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:20 - Apr 21 with 891 viewsOldjack

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:12 - Apr 21 by Uxbridge

I think he might too. It might even work. It might be a genius move. Doesn't mean it's the right one though.

you take a gamble on anyone who comes in ,that's life ,his attitude towards the club is spot on that's a very good starting point and yes no one can deny we have improved on Mike's lack lustred attitude

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:24 - Apr 21 with 877 viewsUxbridge

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:20 - Apr 21 by Oldjack

you take a gamble on anyone who comes in ,that's life ,his attitude towards the club is spot on that's a very good starting point and yes no one can deny we have improved on Mike's lack lustred attitude

A rookie manager is clearly more of a gamble than someone who actually has some coaching experience. This inability to recognise that fact doesn't help the debate.

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:27 - Apr 21 with 872 viewsOldjack

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:16 - Apr 21 by AngelRangelQS

Why does it have to be a big shot manager? There's never any middle ground with Swans fans.

it doesn't have to be, but you know what some are like , there was many on here very disappointed with Brenda's appointment ,now look at him, who's to say Monk's can't reach those dizzy heights

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:30 - Apr 21 with 856 viewsUxbridge

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:27 - Apr 21 by Oldjack

it doesn't have to be, but you know what some are like , there was many on here very disappointed with Brenda's appointment ,now look at him, who's to say Monk's can't reach those dizzy heights

Nowt at all. But Rodgers had many years coaching experience and two management jobs. He was far less green.

Login to get fewer ads

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:32 - Apr 21 with 845 viewsDr_Winston

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:30 - Apr 21 by Uxbridge

Nowt at all. But Rodgers had many years coaching experience and two management jobs. He was far less green.

The point that keeps getting missed.

Other names such as Clement have years of coaching experience behind them. Monk hadn't managed so much as a youth team before getting the job.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:35 - Apr 21 with 833 viewspontlliwjack

My italian team Parma have had a good season this year under Donadoni,they also play the game almost like the Swansea Way and managed to go 16 games unbeaten
we have been linked to him before so he is my choice
Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:38 - Apr 21 with 826 viewsUxbridge

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:32 - Apr 21 by Dr_Winston

The point that keeps getting missed.

Other names such as Clement have years of coaching experience behind them. Monk hadn't managed so much as a youth team before getting the job.

Clement recently came out and said that was looking into management, and he would be released. I'd certainly look at him.... seems to be getting excellent reviews.

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:43 - Apr 21 with 811 viewsDr_Winston

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:38 - Apr 21 by Uxbridge

Clement recently came out and said that was looking into management, and he would be released. I'd certainly look at him.... seems to be getting excellent reviews.

Someone like Ancelotti's not going to keep him around just because he likes his sense of humour.

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:45 - Apr 21 with 794 viewsUxbridge

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:43 - Apr 21 by Dr_Winston

Someone like Ancelotti's not going to keep him around just because he likes his sense of humour.

Aye. Said he already has his blessing. Think a few might be after him though. Know we can't really go ahead until we know the division we're in but hope we're on the starting blocks as soon as we do.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2014 18:45]

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:48 - Apr 21 with 775 viewsDr_Winston

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:45 - Apr 21 by Uxbridge

Aye. Said he already has his blessing. Think a few might be after him though. Know we can't really go ahead until we know the division we're in but hope we're on the starting blocks as soon as we do.

As soon as the final whistle went on Saturday we should have been thinking about it.

Knowing Huw though he'll probably go on holiday first.

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:51 - Apr 21 with 762 viewsOldjack

Well whomever it may be i have complete faith in Huw & co, and they will get my full backing ,

Garry Monk's black &white army

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:53 - Apr 21 with 751 viewsUxbridge

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:48 - Apr 21 by Dr_Winston

As soon as the final whistle went on Saturday we should have been thinking about it.

Knowing Huw though he'll probably go on holiday first.

Am sure the feelers are out. Difficult time of year to do much though... most targets will have important jobs to finish.

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:57 - Apr 21 with 740 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Is Clement management material though, or just a very good coach? there's a big big difference to me. Monk may well be a very good coach in the making, good motivator, puts on good training sessions and all that, but does he, or Clement have that bit extra that makes you a manager, a person with authority? Brendan certainly had it, as did Martinez, even the now much derided Laudrup to an extent. That air of authority and aspects of character that mark them out as managers and not just training-pitch coaches.

For a club like ours, as it is, with a less than developed off-field and recruitment structure, I think our manager needs to have that air of authority, needs to carry a lot on their shoulders, and I'm not sure if Monk has that type of character...or at least not yet (although Martinez and BR had it from the start and they were similar ages when they started...).

If we had a complete overhaul of the recruitment side of things and a new structure in place to take some responsibilies away from the 'head coach', like the way WBA have done for many years, then I can see merit in keeping Monk or going for someone like Clement to oversee training and match-day preparation, but not have the full-responsibilities that we normally heap on our managers.

If we're keeping the set-up as it is, I'd prefer we went for a strong outside candidate with authority and experience - doesn't have to be a big name foreigner, just someone who can come in and stamp their influence on things and freshen up the club.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:58 - Apr 21 with 738 viewsDrizzle

Does the now general attitude towards HJ mean that T2C was right all along? Heaven forfend.
Right then-NEW MANAGER on 19:01 - Apr 21 with 730 viewsIAN05

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:45 - Apr 21 by Uxbridge

Clement seems to have all the credentials but so did Rene Meulensteen (or however you spell it), Brian Kidd etc etc

Like you say, an element of disk with anyone, but someone like Clement sounds just up our street. If you look at groundwork to the Laudrup appointment it would appear that far more goes on behind the scenes in advance than we would know about.
Right then-NEW MANAGER on 19:04 - Apr 21 with 722 viewsWhiterockin

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:30 - Apr 21 by Uxbridge

This x 1000%.

When will people realise that we are in the Premier League you can not take a major gamble or the odds are on you going down.

A club our size needs to take a calculated risk because we are not in a position to attract a major name, but an ex player with virtually no coaching experience, come on.

Somebody like Paul Clements would be a calculated risk. He has bags of coaching experience and worked with some of the best, but no management experience. That is the calculated risk.

Some say give the job full time to an ex player who has been a loyal servant and loves the club. This is not reason enough. In league one or two maybe but not in the Premier League.
Right then-NEW MANAGER on 19:06 - Apr 21 with 710 viewsOldjack

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:24 - Apr 21 by Uxbridge

A rookie manager is clearly more of a gamble than someone who actually has some coaching experience. This inability to recognise that fact doesn't help the debate.

But he's not a rookie now is he and he's on course for a point a game that next season will be fine ,or are you expecting a top six finish ,

Talking about expectation's ,what about Tim Sherwood ? i think he's doing a fine job but they expect a top 4 finish which he can't and odds on will never deliver ,so odds on he'll be gone soon

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 19:06 - Apr 21 with 710 viewsIAN05

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:58 - Apr 21 by Drizzle

Does the now general attitude towards HJ mean that T2C was right all along? Heaven forfend.

Don't include me in the 'general' group. HJ like all chairmen makes mistakes, some bigger than others, but still one of the best things ever to happen to this football club and in my opinion the best chairman in the premier league.

This year may have been managed badly, or HJ may have acted with little choice, we may never know but I would trust him and the board above all others to get the appointment right.
Right then-NEW MANAGER on 19:07 - Apr 21 with 708 viewsDr_Winston

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 18:57 - Apr 21 by FearOfAJackPlanet

Is Clement management material though, or just a very good coach? there's a big big difference to me. Monk may well be a very good coach in the making, good motivator, puts on good training sessions and all that, but does he, or Clement have that bit extra that makes you a manager, a person with authority? Brendan certainly had it, as did Martinez, even the now much derided Laudrup to an extent. That air of authority and aspects of character that mark them out as managers and not just training-pitch coaches.

For a club like ours, as it is, with a less than developed off-field and recruitment structure, I think our manager needs to have that air of authority, needs to carry a lot on their shoulders, and I'm not sure if Monk has that type of character...or at least not yet (although Martinez and BR had it from the start and they were similar ages when they started...).

If we had a complete overhaul of the recruitment side of things and a new structure in place to take some responsibilies away from the 'head coach', like the way WBA have done for many years, then I can see merit in keeping Monk or going for someone like Clement to oversee training and match-day preparation, but not have the full-responsibilities that we normally heap on our managers.

If we're keeping the set-up as it is, I'd prefer we went for a strong outside candidate with authority and experience - doesn't have to be a big name foreigner, just someone who can come in and stamp their influence on things and freshen up the club.

Some excellent points there.

A squad containing a number of different factions would probably be better reined in by someone with no connection to them either way.

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 19:10 - Apr 21 with 699 viewsDr_Winston

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 19:06 - Apr 21 by IAN05

Don't include me in the 'general' group. HJ like all chairmen makes mistakes, some bigger than others, but still one of the best things ever to happen to this football club and in my opinion the best chairman in the premier league.

This year may have been managed badly, or HJ may have acted with little choice, we may never know but I would trust him and the board above all others to get the appointment right.

No doubt.

Huw's not perfect. He gets involved where he shouldn't get involved. Personality clashes with managers and others is potentially a concern. There is a growing disconnect between the fans and the club that he could probably do more to alleviate. His habit of taking time off right when he should be at his busiest has driven me nuts for years.

Few people I'd trust more with the club though.

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 19:10 - Apr 21 with 698 viewsUxbridge

Right then-NEW MANAGER on 19:01 - Apr 21 by IAN05

Clement seems to have all the credentials but so did Rene Meulensteen (or however you spell it), Brian Kidd etc etc

Like you say, an element of disk with anyone, but someone like Clement sounds just up our street. If you look at groundwork to the Laudrup appointment it would appear that far more goes on behind the scenes in advance than we would know about.

Aye, agreed. I don't know if Clement fits the bill for us but worth finding out. All we can do is manage the risk, and casting the net wide and talking to a number of people will help that.

Anyway, the club generally do pretty well in that regard.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024