Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club 12:48 - Apr 21 with 4911 viewsSpratty

It is brilliant to win away from home at any time. It is fantastic that we are now all but safe and any win is great so well done to the team on a massively important win. As I have maintained all along we were highly unlikely to go down under Laudrup and with the quality in our team neither should we be going down under Monk (although scrapping survival would be a poor result).

Last year we also beat Newcastle away

This year we beat Newcastle at home — Let’s compare the 2 Newcastle games this year, one under a manager we unceremoniously dumped as not fit, the other under his preferred replacement.
Consider also if relief is an objective enough emotion to choose our next manager on.

Newcastle Home — 4th Dec
- We won 3 — 0
- This was our 4th game in a week and a half
- Bony, Michu and Angel Rangel were all out injured and Leon benched returning from injury
- Newcastle had won their last 4 games on the bounce (including Chelsea and Spurs) conceding only 2 goals in all 4 games. In top form, had reached their highest position in the PL this season (5th) and a mere 1 point from 2nd Place in the PL.
[Canas and Poz both played and Poz assisted 2 goals]

Newcastle Away — 19th April
- We won 2 - 1
- This was our 3rd game in 3 weeks
- Newcastle scored 1st — their first goal in 5 games. Our winner an injury time penalty.
- Newcastle had lost their last 4 games on the bounce and had not managed to score a single goal in any of those games (in which they conceded 10 goals). They were in thier worst form of the season.

So whilst it is brilliant to win and the points are sorely needed — let’s keep a sense of balance.

The home game also typifies the massive key injuries and massively congested fixture list our previous manager was coping with in ongoing mode; whilst still keeping us on track for PL survival and keeping the FA Cup and European dream alive. Would we not want his replacement to be achieving more?

Considering the major impact Poz had on the reverse fixture and other games. I still ask why he has not once featured in the PL under Monk. Canas is also now being omitted even from the bench. Despite his limited appearances Poz has the 2nd highest assists in the whole team this season.
The fact that Pabs has the most assists despite his long injury — tells its own story re player quality

Monk is now achieving 2/3rds of the PL points achieved in last years like for like fixtures *

However pre Monk we were achieving at 96% - despite massive key injuries, a 50% more congested fixture list and winning additional games to keep us in Europe and the FA Cup

If we ignore game difficulty Monk is achieving on straight average fractionally over 1 point per game

pre monk the straight average was 1 point per game (not including the wins in the FA Cup and Europa)

We achieved more points in the reverse fixtures this year — despite all the injuries and additional games

In fact if you factor in all competitive games played rather than just PL, Laudrup earned the equivalent of 45 points out of 37 games, Monk 13 points out of 14 games. The difference between:
- Comfortable mid-table finish with massive key injuries and an average of 50% more fixtures a month
- Vs relegation form with a fully fit team and much more time between fixtures.

If Laudrup was no longer right (such that we were willing to most likely have to shell out millions in compensation) then we should be looking to upgrade. We should not be gambling the future of our club on a punt or sentiment. An inexperienced and tactically naive trainee does not cut it IMHO and his inside knowledge and involvement in what went before could be a distinct problem in obtaining unity and a fresh start.

As others have said it should be best person for the job, not jobs for the boys.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Despite Ian’s claims that last years like for like is a poor measure. It is in fact a standard statistical measure looking at how we did in the same games last year, one of the most common types of uses of comparative statistics. Of course this will vary on the standard of teams from year to year however over a significant number of games (as have now been played under both regimes) these will largely smooth themselves out and, unlike straight average points per game (which does not differentiate game difficulty between Man City and Fulham for e.g.) makes allowance for how we have fared against these teams previously.

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:55 - Apr 21 with 1143 viewshobo

Why would you ban him? It's his opinion. If you don't like it, don't read it
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 16:19 - Apr 21 with 1096 viewsDewi1jack

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:54 - Apr 21 by IAN05

I wouldn't ban him in honesty. He is entitled to an opinion, even if it is very Laudrup-obsessed. He always seem to put his point across politely as well in fairness.

This and what Hobo says.
Live and let live mate.
If everyone who had a different opinion to you was banned, there wouldn't be many left.
That and single opinion does not lead to a debate on any subject.
The people who were followers of Hitler and Stalin had just the one opinion and weren't open to any alternative argument/ pov

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 16:28 - Apr 21 with 1087 viewsSpratty

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:42 - Apr 21 by 100onZero

Comparing like with like? So you did this with Newcastle but refuse to do it with Cardiff. Just shows your full of sh1t mate.

"I will happily do a comparison on any match we play if you wish or go back to Cardiff"

Oops - not me full of Sh1t mate
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 16:40 - Apr 21 with 1077 viewsSpratty

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:40 - Apr 21 by dan_swansea

Can't people just enjoy a fantastic win?

Agree and I said that, but that was 2 days ago and since I am concerned that people have been using it as an argument that Garry should be given the managers job. Which as a football game against an out of form team blows it out of proportion.

That is a decision that needs to be taken very carefully and in the best interests of our club moving forward, not on the fantastic relief of being virtually safe. I have no doubt that Garry gives the very best he can (who would not given that opportunity) however if enthusiasm was all that counted then I would be PM.
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 16:44 - Apr 21 with 1068 viewsIAN05

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 16:40 - Apr 21 by Spratty

Agree and I said that, but that was 2 days ago and since I am concerned that people have been using it as an argument that Garry should be given the managers job. Which as a football game against an out of form team blows it out of proportion.

That is a decision that needs to be taken very carefully and in the best interests of our club moving forward, not on the fantastic relief of being virtually safe. I have no doubt that Garry gives the very best he can (who would not given that opportunity) however if enthusiasm was all that counted then I would be PM.

I haven't seen many say Monk should get the job in honesty. Most saying, keep him here jn some form but a new manager is a must.

Its interesting that you mention that anyone in Monks position would give it their all, but there are many within the club, media and fanbase that don't think your man Laudrup did !!!
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 16:48 - Apr 21 with 1065 viewsItchySphincter

Genuine question(s) Sprout - how long can you keep up this pro Laudrup agenda? you do realise you're living in the past don't you? What will you have left next season when the club either appoint Monk or another man? Surely it must be time to drop it and move on, or are you enjoying the attention it brings you because you were pretty inconspicuous before you got this boner for ML?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 16:49 - Apr 21 with 1063 viewsDarran

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 16:44 - Apr 21 by IAN05

I haven't seen many say Monk should get the job in honesty. Most saying, keep him here jn some form but a new manager is a must.

Its interesting that you mention that anyone in Monks position would give it their all, but there are many within the club, media and fanbase that don't think your man Laudrup did !!!

You haven't seen many because there aren't many.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 17:16 - Apr 21 with 1028 viewsmonmouth

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 14:55 - Apr 21 by hobo

Why would you ban him? It's his opinion. If you don't like it, don't read it

I agree. Although he is showing signs of mental illness. Laudrup's gone and even the Danes have moved on like Dan or buggered off like most. Next year we could have him and kiisgod banging on about their obsessions.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 17:51 - Apr 21 with 987 views3swan

No comparison can be made by match. Comparisons over a longer period can show a trend but not much else, as there are so many issues that aren't controlled, from players on/off form to the whole team and even the weather

This season under ML the league record was

W6 D6 L12 Pts 24

Under GM

W3 D3 L5 PTS 12

Not much between them. It can be argued that we were playing more games during the ML era, but can also add that that could have caused burn out that affected the era under GM.

Stats can be used both ways but the only thing I can say is personally that something needed to change and only time will tell if GM can be a success, but no-one can double guess what the outcome would have been under ML
[Post edited 21 Apr 2014 17:52]
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 17:57 - Apr 21 with 975 viewsUxbridge

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 13:47 - Apr 21 by AngelRangelQS

Can someone please just ban this boring c*nt?

Darran's not that bad. Well ...

So we're not tolerating alternate viewpoints now?

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 18:19 - Apr 21 with 955 viewsperchrockjack

What s the answer as I've a always had a short attention span.but laud rip was and would have taken jus down

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 18:23 - Apr 21 with 947 viewsAngelRangelQS

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 17:57 - Apr 21 by Uxbridge

Darran's not that bad. Well ...

So we're not tolerating alternate viewpoints now?

The same viewpoint made several times a day for almost 3 months is getting a bit tedious
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 18:24 - Apr 21 with 942 viewsUxbridge

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 18:23 - Apr 21 by AngelRangelQS

The same viewpoint made several times a day for almost 3 months is getting a bit tedious

Well he's hardly alone in that.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 19:46 - Apr 21 with 897 viewsJackFish

As I said to you the other day, comparing like for like with last season's fixtures is pointless because there no guarantee that Laudrup would have achieved the same results.

Last season we drew at Everton, won at Arsenal and drew at home to Chelsea. Are you seriously telling me that given our return of one point against the top seven under ML this season that we were going to match that?
Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 19:56 - Apr 21 with 887 viewswaynekerr55

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 18:24 - Apr 21 by Uxbridge

Well he's hardly alone in that.

Guilty M'laud

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 07:34 - Apr 22 with 750 viewsPacemaker

Anyone who was at WHU away, St Gallen or any other of the really poor performances under ML this season would have seen that there was something seriously wrong at the club.

Something needed to be done that was obvious, I think ML was brilliant for us but I genuinely believe he had become bored with us no more or less than that.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 12:01 - Apr 22 with 680 views3swan

Newcastle in Perspective — the Future of Our Club on 07:34 - Apr 22 by Pacemaker

Anyone who was at WHU away, St Gallen or any other of the really poor performances under ML this season would have seen that there was something seriously wrong at the club.

Something needed to be done that was obvious, I think ML was brilliant for us but I genuinely believe he had become bored with us no more or less than that.

Agree on the bored comment. we were a project for him which he lost interest in for many reasons I suppose
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024