Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Palace after Shelvey 00:16 - Jul 21 with 13527 viewsLiberty

Hope we keep him personally.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2699343/Swansea-agree-fee-Mars

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

Palace after Shelvey on 12:42 - Jul 21 with 1733 viewstomdickharry

The chances of Palace coughing up £10M+ for Shelvey are nil.
Palace after Shelvey on 12:46 - Jul 21 with 1711 viewsNeath_Jack

Palace after Shelvey on 12:42 - Jul 21 by C_jack

In the interest of balance if we're willing to let Ben go when someone offers up his 'market price' then why isn't that the same for Shelvey?

Shelvey is a better player higher up the pitch, and if we're getting Siggy in then there's no worry about replacing his goals. Would rather get a natural DM along Leon.

It is not up to us to be "willing" to let him go. I don't think you'll find many who wanted or were willing for Ben to be sold. Shelvey and Gylfi are two different types of players, despite them both being able to fill the number 10 role. Shelvey is in the Gerrard mould, while Gylfi is in the Rooney mould, in my humble.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Palace after Shelvey on 12:47 - Jul 21 with 1705 viewsJackSomething

Palace after Shelvey on 12:42 - Jul 21 by tomdickharry

The chances of Palace coughing up £10M+ for Shelvey are nil.

Exactly.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Palace after Shelvey on 12:49 - Jul 21 with 1694 viewsTom1912

I really like the idea of a Britton, Shelvey and Sigurdsson midfield personally. Dyer and Routledge on the flanks, Bony up top with Gomis as an option from the bench.

Could see a lot of goals coming from that. Especially if we added Payet to the mix too.
Palace after Shelvey on 12:51 - Jul 21 with 1687 viewsNeath_Jack

Palace after Shelvey on 12:49 - Jul 21 by Tom1912

I really like the idea of a Britton, Shelvey and Sigurdsson midfield personally. Dyer and Routledge on the flanks, Bony up top with Gomis as an option from the bench.

Could see a lot of goals coming from that. Especially if we added Payet to the mix too.

I really can't see Gomis coming here and sitting on the bench. I'd be staggered if that is how it plays out. And before anyone mentions it, yes, i'm fully aware that Bony will be off to that tinpot cup.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Palace after Shelvey on 12:53 - Jul 21 with 1678 viewsC_jack

Palace after Shelvey on 12:46 - Jul 21 by Neath_Jack

It is not up to us to be "willing" to let him go. I don't think you'll find many who wanted or were willing for Ben to be sold. Shelvey and Gylfi are two different types of players, despite them both being able to fill the number 10 role. Shelvey is in the Gerrard mould, while Gylfi is in the Rooney mould, in my humble.

Shelvey atm is in 2014 Gerrard mould, not 2001. Too many times he collects it deep and then is forced to try to ping a ball out to a man out wide, unsuccessfully. Ferrie Bodde was class at that.

JJS is far better arriving late into the box or playing more intricate, slider rule passes further up the field.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Palace after Shelvey on 12:54 - Jul 21 with 1671 viewsTom1912

Palace after Shelvey on 12:51 - Jul 21 by Neath_Jack

I really can't see Gomis coming here and sitting on the bench. I'd be staggered if that is how it plays out. And before anyone mentions it, yes, i'm fully aware that Bony will be off to that tinpot cup.

Well, I can't see us playing Bony, Gomis and Sigurdsson in the same starting lineup.

Bony could move on this window though obviously.
Palace after Shelvey on 12:55 - Jul 21 with 1664 viewsJackSomething

Palace after Shelvey on 12:49 - Jul 21 by Tom1912

Gylfi, JDG, Payet and Montero in.

Ki to go, along with Poz and Canas hopefully.

I'd be happy with:

Fabianski / Tremmel
Rangel / Tiendalli
Taylor / Kingsley
Ash / Amat
Chico / Bartley
Britton / Fulton
JDG / Shelvey
Gylfi / Payet
Routledge / Emnes
Montero / Dyer
Bony / Gomis

In an ideal world, we'd have better than Tiendalli and Tremmel, plus a better 3rd striker option than Emnes, but I'd be pretty confident with that squad to start the season.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Login to get fewer ads

Palace after Shelvey on 12:57 - Jul 21 with 1646 viewsTom1912

I'd be delighted if we brought Montero, Sigurdsson, Payet and JDG in although you'd have to be concerned by the lack of quality cover defensively. Hopefully, we've got a right back lined up too-possibly this lad from France.
Palace after Shelvey on 13:29 - Jul 21 with 1571 viewsswanduck

Lol can people stop slagging off palace... when I go on other forums (Sunderland, Saints etc) and see them putting down Swansea etc 'why would anyone want to go to Swansea?' etc I think what tw@ts. Like it or not Palace did better than us last season. I would say we (along with 8th - 17th) are all very similar, it is not crazy that players would want to leave one club in that bracket for another.

Anyway don't want to lose Jonjo and don't think he will go.
Palace after Shelvey on 13:36 - Jul 21 with 1551 viewsNeath_Jack

Palace after Shelvey on 12:54 - Jul 21 by Tom1912

Well, I can't see us playing Bony, Gomis and Sigurdsson in the same starting lineup.

Aye, if Gylfi does indeed sign, then i'd agree with you.

And i also agree that we may yet see Bony go.

Palace after Shelvey on 13:37 - Jul 21 with 1534 viewsJackFish

Palace after Shelvey on 12:57 - Jul 21 by Tom1912

I'd be delighted if we brought Montero, Sigurdsson, Payet and JDG in although you'd have to be concerned by the lack of quality cover defensively. Hopefully, we've got a right back lined up too-possibly this lad from France.

Who is the lad from France?
Palace after Shelvey on 13:40 - Jul 21 with 1520 viewsTom1912

Palace after Shelvey on 13:37 - Jul 21 by JackFish

Who is the lad from France?

Timothée Kolodziejczak is the player we've been linked to I believe
Palace after Shelvey on 13:41 - Jul 21 with 1512 viewsmax936

Palace after Shelvey on 12:57 - Jul 21 by Tom1912

I'd like us to get some cover in defensively as well tbh, RB and a DM maybe a CH as well, doubt all 3 will happen though, maybe 1.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Palace after Shelvey on 14:08 - Jul 21 with 1460 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Palace after Shelvey on 12:53 - Jul 21 by C_jack

Shelvey atm is in 2014 Gerrard mould, not 2001. Too many times he collects it deep and then is forced to try to ping a ball out to a man out wide, unsuccessfully. Ferrie Bodde was class at that.

JJS is far better arriving late into the box or playing more intricate, slider rule passes further up the field.

You are by far one of my favourite people on here.

Whenever I question the sanity of PlanetSwans, you and a select few others pop up and speak sense.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Palace after Shelvey on 14:11 - Jul 21 with 1454 viewsScoobyWho

Palace after Shelvey on 14:08 - Jul 21 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

You are by far one of my favourite people on here.

Whenever I question the sanity of PlanetSwans, you and a select few others pop up and speak sense.

Cheers Dwight Appreciated

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Palace after Shelvey on 14:20 - Jul 21 with 1433 viewsicecoldjack

Palace after Shelvey on 12:31 - Jul 21 by JackFish

"I thought the whole idea of monk as manager was to retain our principles and systems which at the time i thought a bit daft as we were worked out good and proper on that front second half of Brendan s season. "

That would be the second half of the season when we beat Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City, and won four away games, something which we didn't manage to all in the first half of that season. Sign me up for some more of that please.

Yeah fair point bit being more specific the last 9 games with only 2 wins, including a Liverpool team already on the beach.

Teams started defending deeper against us second half of the season, Arsenal,Liverpool and man city were quite prepared to play their game giving us less a less tactical approach which suited us perfect in our system.

Those same teams give us alot more respect These days and the so called lesser teams of which we Are one set up to stop us playing our game.

Palace at home,wba at home,hull at home ,west ham at home etc

This is my opinion of course .
Palace after Shelvey on 14:38 - Jul 21 with 1404 viewsDrizzy

Palace after Shelvey on 12:53 - Jul 21 by C_jack

Not really. He scored most of his goals from long range efforts from outside the box.

I don't understand the Bodde reference. Shelvey is a much better player and has the potential to be an excellent box-to-box midfielder for us.

The Ben Davies deal is also completely irrelevant.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Palace after Shelvey on 14:51 - Jul 21 with 1373 viewsC_jack

Palace after Shelvey on 14:38 - Jul 21 by Drizzy

Not really. He scored most of his goals from long range efforts from outside the box.

I don't understand the Bodde reference. Shelvey is a much better player and has the potential to be an excellent box-to-box midfielder for us.

The Ben Davies deal is also completely irrelevant.

Outside of the box is further up the field last time I checked. He doesn't score long range efforts from his own half.

Bodde was class at pinging balls out from deep on to a sixpence, he could place it on the wingers foot with ease. Shelvey is not so good at doing that.

We will/have sold Ben Davies because someone met his value and we decided to cash in to the benefit of the team. Complete hypocrisy to shout about holding on to JJS (a bright prospect) if someone made an offer above his value, especially if we can/will replace his goals (with Siggy) and use the money to get a more natural DM.

Palace after Shelvey on 15:04 - Jul 21 with 1351 viewsDrizzy

Palace after Shelvey on 14:51 - Jul 21 by C_jack

Outside of the box is further up the field last time I checked. He doesn't score long range efforts from his own half.

Bodde was class at pinging balls out from deep on to a sixpence, he could place it on the wingers foot with ease. Shelvey is not so good at doing that.

We will/have sold Ben Davies because someone met his value and we decided to cash in to the benefit of the team. Complete hypocrisy to shout about holding on to JJS (a bright prospect) if someone made an offer above his value, especially if we can/will replace his goals (with Siggy) and use the money to get a more natural DM.

So your comment about "arriving late in the box" is in fact a load b*llocks then? Got it. Believe it or not there isn't a glass wall between the middle of the field and the edge of the box.

Yeah class in the Championship. I'm sure Shelvey could do the same in that league. His long range passing improved drastically in the second half of the season as he became accustomed to playing the deeper role.

I don't think anyone sane is suggesting we keep hold of Shelvey if someone offers well above his market value though your argument about replacing his production is a bit moot really. You're using two players to justify letting Shelvey go. Gylfi will replace JdG's goals.

Palace after Shelvey on 15:19 - Jul 21 with 1314 viewsC_jack

Palace after Shelvey on 15:04 - Jul 21 by Drizzy

So your comment about "arriving late in the box" is in fact a load b*llocks then? Got it. Believe it or not there isn't a glass wall between the middle of the field and the edge of the box.

Yeah class in the Championship. I'm sure Shelvey could do the same in that league. His long range passing improved drastically in the second half of the season as he became accustomed to playing the deeper role.

I don't think anyone sane is suggesting we keep hold of Shelvey if someone offers well above his market value though your argument about replacing his production is a bit moot really. You're using two players to justify letting Shelvey go. Gylfi will replace JdG's goals.

You're just picking holes to keep the gimmick up now. I have stated clearly he is a better player up the field, where some times he arrives late in the box, and where some times he likes to shoot outside of it as well. Both of which he can not do inside his own half.

It was a basic example of a player who can perform that skill well, regardless of the level. The skill remains the same whatever the league is.

Gylfi could easily replace the goals of both De Guzman and JJS (10 in the league).

Palace after Shelvey on 16:36 - Jul 21 with 1165 viewsCatullus

Palace after Shelvey on 12:54 - Jul 21 by Tom1912

I would agree if things were still the way things were, and that's why I think we'll be trying a new formation. Either 442 with both strikers on and Siggy on the bench. Or even a 4312 to accomodate them all.
But the 4312, it's not something I expect to see every week. But I agree that I'd like to see Britton, Siggy and JJS all on together, if we had that AND Bony and Gomis up top, there could be fireworks.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Palace after Shelvey on 16:36 - Jul 21 with 1162 viewsDrizzy

Palace after Shelvey on 15:19 - Jul 21 by C_jack

You're just picking holes to keep the gimmick up now. I have stated clearly he is a better player up the field, where some times he arrives late in the box, and where some times he likes to shoot outside of it as well. Both of which he can not do inside his own half.

It was a basic example of a player who can perform that skill well, regardless of the level. The skill remains the same whatever the league is.

Gylfi could easily replace the goals of both De Guzman and JJS (10 in the league).

He very rarely "arrives late in the box". It's not one of his strengths and never has been. Your argument is falling apart here.

Thanks for that rather pointless anecdote.

What are the conclusions from this debate?

Palace after Shelvey on 17:04 - Jul 21 with 1120 viewsC_jack

Palace after Shelvey on 16:36 - Jul 21 by Drizzy

He very rarely "arrives late in the box". It's not one of his strengths and never has been. Your argument is falling apart here.

Thanks for that rather pointless anecdote.

What are the conclusions from this debate?

Ah ok, we've got to the point where you're hanging on to a certain phrase or spelling now.

Well no, not if he's playing as the deepest play maker, which is the point. If he's playing at AM then he's naturally creating plays and moving towards/late into the box as it develops, which suits him better.

Nothing like the neglect of your own, you've stated that he could be an excellent 'box to box' midfielder, while going on to say that he rarely arrives late into the oppositions box as it's not his strength. Clue is in the terminology really, unless he's training to break all sorts of sprint records and get in the box before anyone else.

Not pointless at all, a fabulous comparison of different skill sets.

Palace after Shelvey on 17:14 - Jul 21 with 1099 viewsmark555

Shelvey is an essex boy so Palace would have a bigger appeal to him than other players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024