Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£15 for our home friendly 13:09 - Jul 23 with 23989 views_

Why can't the club just once, just ONCE, turn round to the supporter and offer them a real gesture of good will and thank us for our loyal support.

£15 for a kick about in the sun...

And I don't care if every other club in England is doing it. It would be nice if our club had a different mentality when it came to its supporters.

Have they forgotten how many times they have messed up in the past - The Euro games for example.

They must be due another dividend soon i'd imagine.

Pathetic, Swansea City, pathetic.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

£15 for our home friendly on 13:04 - Jul 25 with 804 viewslondonlisa2001

£15 for our home friendly on 13:03 - Jul 25 by _

There was talk last season of a sponsor contributing towards the expansion. That all died a death just before Goldenway jumped in?

don't have a clue - sorry - to clarify, I'm only talking about when the original build was done & grants & naming rights etc then - not now.
£15 for our home friendly on 13:09 - Jul 25 with 783 viewsUxbridge

£15 for our home friendly on 12:33 - Jul 25 by londonlisa2001

it wasn't that they didn't plan for it. To allow for future expansion the ground would have had to be built differently (foundations etc I assume - I'm no engineer) and they just didn't have the money available to do it. To build it in the way it was built was cheaper (compared to having a much bigger infrastructure in place to allow for easy expansion). They just couldn't afford it in any other way.

I disagree. The way it was designed from the foundations to the location have made extension much more difficult. I don't doubt everything was done to get the lowest cost possible but saving 1 quid to cost 20 down the line is just daft.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

£15 for our home friendly on 13:12 - Jul 25 with 781 views_

£15 for our home friendly on 13:04 - Jul 25 by londonlisa2001

don't have a clue - sorry - to clarify, I'm only talking about when the original build was done & grants & naming rights etc then - not now.

No, I understood that... but not a lot we can do about that now...

I'm just wondering why the talk of stadium expansion through sponsorship was touted by the club then not ever mentioned again...

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

£15 for our home friendly on 13:14 - Jul 25 with 775 viewslondonlisa2001

£15 for our home friendly on 13:09 - Jul 25 by Uxbridge

I disagree. The way it was designed from the foundations to the location have made extension much more difficult. I don't doubt everything was done to get the lowest cost possible but saving 1 quid to cost 20 down the line is just daft.

I don't disagree that it seems daft now, but at the time no one could come up with extra 1 quid. It's just the way it was.
£15 for our home friendly on 13:15 - Jul 25 with 771 viewslondonlisa2001

£15 for our home friendly on 13:12 - Jul 25 by _

No, I understood that... but not a lot we can do about that now...

I'm just wondering why the talk of stadium expansion through sponsorship was touted by the club then not ever mentioned again...

absolutely no idea - you'd have to ask the commercial director I imagine ;-)
£15 for our home friendly on 13:23 - Jul 25 with 754 viewsMattG

£15 for our home friendly on 13:09 - Jul 25 by Uxbridge

Assuming there was a finite pot of cash, there would have to have been a trade-off somewhere along the line. The alternative might have been, say, a 12k stadium that was easier to expand or a 20k stadium that wasn't. It simply wouldn't have been possible to get an easily extendible 20k stadium for anywhere near the same price.

Being in League 2 at that time, perhaps the view was that, at a push, we could get into the Championship so a 20k stadium was more attractive, even without the easy option to extend.
£15 for our home friendly on 13:25 - Jul 25 with 748 views_

£15 for our home friendly on 13:15 - Jul 25 by londonlisa2001

absolutely no idea - you'd have to ask the commercial director I imagine ;-)

Who is that? Do you know? ;-)

£15 for our home friendly on 13:33 - Jul 25 with 729 viewsUxbridge

£15 for our home friendly on 13:14 - Jul 25 by londonlisa2001

I don't disagree that it seems daft now, but at the time no one could come up with extra 1 quid. It's just the way it was.

Not quite how I remember it. Remember the stadium was supposed to be 25k. I don't remember the begging bowl coming out in quite the way as is being hinted at.

Login to get fewer ads

£15 for our home friendly on 13:36 - Jul 25 with 723 viewslondonlisa2001

£15 for our home friendly on 13:33 - Jul 25 by Uxbridge

Not quite how I remember it. Remember the stadium was supposed to be 25k. I don't remember the begging bowl coming out in quite the way as is being hinted at.

the grant from the (I think but not certain) Football Trust was only available for a 20,000 stadium - everyone pushed for 25,000 and they just wouldn't budge. Sorry - that's honestly the way it happened. We (i.e. the Swans) had no money to replace the grant if it was lost and no one else did either.
£15 for our home friendly on 13:36 - Jul 25 with 721 viewsMattG

Fair points but, for me, it's a criticism that is virtually wholly based on hindsight.

Who, in all honesty, could have envisaged that we would out-grow a 20k stadium in such a short period of time?
£15 for our home friendly on 13:36 - Jul 25 with 720 viewsUxbridge

£15 for our home friendly on 13:23 - Jul 25 by MattG

Assuming there was a finite pot of cash, there would have to have been a trade-off somewhere along the line. The alternative might have been, say, a 12k stadium that was easier to expand or a 20k stadium that wasn't. It simply wouldn't have been possible to get an easily extendible 20k stadium for anywhere near the same price.

Being in League 2 at that time, perhaps the view was that, at a push, we could get into the Championship so a 20k stadium was more attractive, even without the easy option to extend.

We took what we've been given as was so eloquently put by the councillor at the time. My charge is at the council much more than the club.

£15 for our home friendly on 13:38 - Jul 25 with 717 viewsMattG

£15 for our home friendly on 13:36 - Jul 25 by Uxbridge

We took what we've been given as was so eloquently put by the councillor at the time. My charge is at the council much more than the club.

Fair enough but I still think it's all with the benefit of hindsight.
£15 for our home friendly on 13:39 - Jul 25 with 713 viewslondonlisa2001

£15 for our home friendly on 13:36 - Jul 25 by Uxbridge

I'm sure that Chris Holley didn't mean it in that way. The council did push for 25,000 but couldn't afford it without the grants.
£15 for our home friendly on 13:59 - Jul 25 with 683 viewsDarran

£15 for our home friendly on 13:02 - Jul 25 by Swanjaxs

Why all the angst Christopher?? And you used to be a top lad!

He's just cobbling because all the directors hate him.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

£15 for our home friendly on 14:07 - Jul 25 with 663 viewsUxbridge

£15 for our home friendly on 13:38 - Jul 25 by MattG

Fair enough but I still think it's all with the benefit of hindsight.

Hardly. Some of us were saying the same back then. To not be able to easily expand even to the original figure was plain daft.

£15 for our home friendly on 14:08 - Jul 25 with 657 viewsUxbridge

£15 for our home friendly on 13:39 - Jul 25 by londonlisa2001

I'm sure that Chris Holley didn't mean it in that way. The council did push for 25,000 but couldn't afford it without the grants.

This was pre Holley.

£15 for our home friendly on 14:14 - Jul 25 with 648 viewslondonlisa2001

£15 for our home friendly on 14:08 - Jul 25 by Uxbridge

This was pre Holley.

Holley was in charge when the stadium was done. It started off as a project under Labour and then all the build etc was done under Holley.
£15 for our home friendly on 14:17 - Jul 25 with 640 viewslondonlisa2001

£15 for our home friendly on 14:07 - Jul 25 by Uxbridge

Hardly. Some of us were saying the same back then. To not be able to easily expand even to the original figure was plain daft.

I'm honestly not sure what you expected could be done with no more money? However much anyone insisted on anything there was no more money. They tried to get the grant with 25k it was rejected. They tried to get the stadium expandable - they couldn't afford it (there was a big price difference even to a few thousand more seats). So how can it be daft? I just don't understand your point?

Everyone at the time wanted it bigger or expandable (yes, including the council) but unfortunately when the money's gone it's gone.
£15 for our home friendly on 14:29 - Jul 25 with 630 viewstomdickharry

Just out of curiosity how many post in this thread of 20 pages are in line with the subject matter of the thread.
£15 for our home friendly on 14:31 - Jul 25 with 628 viewsDarran

£15 for our home friendly on 14:29 - Jul 25 by tomdickharry

Just out of curiosity how many post in this thread of 20 pages are in line with the subject matter of the thread.

Well definitely the one you just posted.

£15 for our home friendly on 14:47 - Jul 25 with 609 viewsSwanseajill

£15 for our home friendly on 12:29 - Jul 25 by 3swan

From the long term developments that I read of, and the end result so far, it does seem as the council only see the here and now.

From memory the attitude was that we should have been happy with just having a new ground.

At the first meeting of the planners held in the 'gym' at The Vetch, that was true Clive.
The 'survey' on crowd numbers was carried out in Cardiff somewhere. Senior moments cloud my memory but the planners that were at that meeting said that currently a maximum of 10,000 was the above average crowds for The Vetch, and we're planning on those numbers.

Just before work started the capacity was reduced once again.
People should realise that at that time SCFC had...nothing but a group of team players.We are improving our lot each season but one thing is certain, and I know you'll agree....it takes time.
£15 for our home friendly on 15:02 - Jul 25 with 590 viewsjackonicko

£15 for our home friendly on 14:07 - Jul 25 by Uxbridge

I certainly remember that many people said at the time that it was a short sighted decision. The plans were originally for 25k and with room to expand, and then kept getting degraded.

As Lisa says (and I think Lisa may know better than the rest of us?) if there wasn't the money, then perhaps it really was 20k or nothing. I don't remember enough of the details and t'internet probably doesn't go back that far.

However, I definitely remember at the time thinking that I didn't understand the fuss, that 20k was more than enough, that the chances of us ever needing to expand were pretty remote. So WTFDIK?
£15 for our home friendly on 15:15 - Jul 25 with 571 viewslondonlisa2001

£15 for our home friendly on 15:02 - Jul 25 by jackonicko

I certainly remember that many people said at the time that it was a short sighted decision. The plans were originally for 25k and with room to expand, and then kept getting degraded.

As Lisa says (and I think Lisa may know better than the rest of us?) if there wasn't the money, then perhaps it really was 20k or nothing. I don't remember enough of the details and t'internet probably doesn't go back that far.

However, I definitely remember at the time thinking that I didn't understand the fuss, that 20k was more than enough, that the chances of us ever needing to expand were pretty remote. So WTFDIK?

one thing I would say - if people had known then what would happen it's possible that arrangements could have been made to try to find additional funding for preparing for expansion since there would have been options available. At the time it was a pipe dream and therefore avenues that now appear available just weren't (significant commercial sponsorship deals etc etc).
£15 for our home friendly on 15:27 - Jul 25 with 552 viewsDarran

Funny how Uxys never used his thycic ability to predict the lotto numbers.

£15 for our home friendly on 15:28 - Jul 25 with 551 viewsSwanjaxs

So who thinks 15 quid is too expensive for a friendly? ?

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024