Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh should be taught in all British schools 14:11 - Jul 24 with 7973 viewsyescomeon

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/welsh-taught-in-british-sch

Interesting article sent to me by a friend. Some good points well made.

Upthecity!

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:04 - Jul 25 with 746 viewsyescomeon

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 20:43 - Jul 24 by perchrockjack

This.not my fault parents spoke English at home.i took other languages in school as welsh was a dead language as such.

You can be proud as many are without speaking welsh in the same way that just by speaking welsh doesn't a good person nor a passionate Welshman make.ive done business with countless hogs to whom welsh is just the language they ve been brought up with. Anything for a scarp in it neat hie?..

The culture of Wales is the language. The same with any country. You are only going to truly understand the history, culture and people of that country if you learn the language. When the Welsh language dies, Welsh culture dies. Then we will be left with the pseudo-Welsh culture of dressing up as a daffodil at the rugby.

Upthecity!

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:15 - Jul 25 with 738 viewsperchrockjack

complete crap with respect. Welsh culture was /is that of industry. Welsh was not the language of the Industrial areas of WALES ,mainly the rural less populated areas.

You do not need to speak Welsh to understand the "culture". What do we mean as culture. If its language based then the two largest cities, sorry make that 3 have none.

Swansea has massive industrial heritage/culture when it was pre eminent in copper smelting, coal exporting,iron/steel, tinplate. THAT IS MY CULTURE. Vast majority of Swansea people do not speak Welsh many don't want to and to effectively call them cultureless is pitiful and disrespectful.

Wales culture sdeems to be back biting and squabbling

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:26 - Jul 25 with 732 viewsyescomeon

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:15 - Jul 25 by perchrockjack

complete crap with respect. Welsh culture was /is that of industry. Welsh was not the language of the Industrial areas of WALES ,mainly the rural less populated areas.

You do not need to speak Welsh to understand the "culture". What do we mean as culture. If its language based then the two largest cities, sorry make that 3 have none.

Swansea has massive industrial heritage/culture when it was pre eminent in copper smelting, coal exporting,iron/steel, tinplate. THAT IS MY CULTURE. Vast majority of Swansea people do not speak Welsh many don't want to and to effectively call them cultureless is pitiful and disrespectful.

Wales culture sdeems to be back biting and squabbling

Can't really say that I agree with you, there was a Wales prior to the Industrial revolution. You can say that English culture was/is that of industry, I dont agree with that either. I would say it is part of it but it is not all of it.

Upthecity!

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 14:27 - Jul 25 with 729 viewsJackfath

Welsh culture in schools is one day a year. An Eisteddfod.

A spectacle which every adult showed be made to watch every year to see what actually goes on.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 15:39 - Jul 25 with 711 viewscostalotta

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 12:40 - Jul 25 by Neath_Jack

Great reply.

Go away, and type out a reasoned response then get back to me. Make sure you read all my other replies in this thread first though.

Good lad.

No! Who do you think you are?

Good lad my a$$$

I have read your reply's and I disagree with pretty much every thing you've written on the subject. Whether you like it or not the Welsh language is dying. Welsh speakers are in the minority and the language itself has no place in the BIG PICTURE that is our and kids future. Wales could offer more to the world in a business sense if some of our people could speak another language. What do you do if you speak welsh? S4C? Maybe a bit of work n tourism? or perhaps academia? You maybe able to take orders from Patagonia!!! I work in an international setting with corporations from all around the world and when they produce any kind of comms material or similar they get it translated into the languages spoken the most the business world. Welsh is not one of them and it will never be.

You should really read up on the subject before you post. I don't deny that Welsh has a place culturally. I reckon more people in wales speak HTML than Welsh! Jokes aside, I wouldn't dissuade or stop or pass judgment on anyone who wants to learn the language. But to try and engineer a culture is not really how it works. Culture comes from the people and most people in Wales do NOT speak or want to speak the language. Thus, it should not be forced onto our kids. Teach them something more useful and offer it as an option! OR as someone else in the thread suggested perhaps incorporate into a "Intro into European languages " subject.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 15:42 - Jul 25 with 716 viewscostalotta

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 12:48 - Jul 25 by perchrockjack

ex Welshman? NOW you re struggling cos you ve resorted to getting personal. YOU VE LOST THE ARGUMENT.

Welsh more useful than Spanish? really.. Check many countries speak it as mother tongue. How much business is conducted in it. PORTUGUESE? well there s 150m world wide that speak it, Italian? come on, I d say Welsh would be as uselful as Icelandic world wide.
ITS A BIG WORLD and most don't give a feck about Welsh ;its English you have to speak and speak well in commerce. If you don't, you die as a business.

He's a Muppet Perch. Welsh more useful than Spanish? Says it all really.

And he reckons he makes reasoned posts hahahhaha!
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 15:50 - Jul 25 with 712 viewsyescomeon

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 15:39 - Jul 25 by costalotta

No! Who do you think you are?

Good lad my a$$$

I have read your reply's and I disagree with pretty much every thing you've written on the subject. Whether you like it or not the Welsh language is dying. Welsh speakers are in the minority and the language itself has no place in the BIG PICTURE that is our and kids future. Wales could offer more to the world in a business sense if some of our people could speak another language. What do you do if you speak welsh? S4C? Maybe a bit of work n tourism? or perhaps academia? You maybe able to take orders from Patagonia!!! I work in an international setting with corporations from all around the world and when they produce any kind of comms material or similar they get it translated into the languages spoken the most the business world. Welsh is not one of them and it will never be.

You should really read up on the subject before you post. I don't deny that Welsh has a place culturally. I reckon more people in wales speak HTML than Welsh! Jokes aside, I wouldn't dissuade or stop or pass judgment on anyone who wants to learn the language. But to try and engineer a culture is not really how it works. Culture comes from the people and most people in Wales do NOT speak or want to speak the language. Thus, it should not be forced onto our kids. Teach them something more useful and offer it as an option! OR as someone else in the thread suggested perhaps incorporate into a "Intro into European languages " subject.

Why does speaking Welsh mean you cannot speak another language. Friends of mine brought up bilingually seem to pick up other languages more quickly. You are not going to teach school in Wales in Spanish dont make sense, it is not one of the Languages of Britain, Welsh is. Also, why does there have to be some economic benfit from learning a language? What is the economic benifit of teaching Art or English literature?

Upthecity!

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:09 - Jul 25 with 705 viewscostalotta

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 15:50 - Jul 25 by yescomeon

Why does speaking Welsh mean you cannot speak another language. Friends of mine brought up bilingually seem to pick up other languages more quickly. You are not going to teach school in Wales in Spanish dont make sense, it is not one of the Languages of Britain, Welsh is. Also, why does there have to be some economic benfit from learning a language? What is the economic benifit of teaching Art or English literature?

It doesn't.

I understand where you are coming from especially when you say about picking up other languages. The sad fact is schools standards in Wales ranks amongst the lowest in Europe. And I am not talking about the teaching of Welsh. I am talking about core subjects. These core subjects are core for a reason, we will use them, build upon that specific knowledge in our working lives. Again, Welsh might have an impact but it will be minimal and only likely prove useful in a welsh speaking environment. But, how may of them are, be honest? If we want Wales to grow economically our kids growing up should be afforded all opportunities but it seems to me that currently we are limiting that from happening with our education system. I have kids in school and university. Recently I attended a open evening a comp in Swansea. It was to discuss the options for my daughter. She is talented and doing very well in school. She has no interest in Welsh but her options were limited because too much time will be taken up by the Welsh Lang'. Discussing this with the teachers, even they agreed!! Says it all.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that kids should be taught in Spanish! Whether we like it or not English is the dominant language in Wales. That said, I am not saying schools should not offer Welsh, merely it should be a choice. Especially in the final two years.

I had to learn Welsh in school. I've not used it since I left many moons ago. Never had the need nor inclination. However, in pretty much every job I have had up to running my own business I am exposed to other cultures and more prominent languages.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2014 16:11]
Login to get fewer ads

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:19 - Jul 25 with 697 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 15:42 - Jul 25 by costalotta

He's a Muppet Perch. Welsh more useful than Spanish? Says it all really.

And he reckons he makes reasoned posts hahahhaha!

Muppet? I think Welsh is more useful than Spanish? Really?

There was many contributors to this thread without any personal abuse given, until you came along of course. I shan't afford an answer to any of your replies.

Go away.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:22 - Jul 25 with 696 viewsNeath_Jack

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 13:06 - Jul 25 by perchrockjack

Time warp? really.

Yep if you can speak French its good ,Spanish -they ll help you as its tricky pronouncation, German gives you respect as they all speak English and Italian is good for food drink and opera.

Welsh ;I can speak a little and tried in in CAERNARFON once and got a whole lot of distain because it was south Welsh. Not friendly, not helpful and therefore useless

Well yeah, i wrote that last night, and you answered many times after that.

Good for what Perch? Ordering food when you're abroad for 14 days of the year? Tidy, very valuable for the masses that.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:29 - Jul 25 with 692 viewsyescomeon

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:09 - Jul 25 by costalotta

It doesn't.

I understand where you are coming from especially when you say about picking up other languages. The sad fact is schools standards in Wales ranks amongst the lowest in Europe. And I am not talking about the teaching of Welsh. I am talking about core subjects. These core subjects are core for a reason, we will use them, build upon that specific knowledge in our working lives. Again, Welsh might have an impact but it will be minimal and only likely prove useful in a welsh speaking environment. But, how may of them are, be honest? If we want Wales to grow economically our kids growing up should be afforded all opportunities but it seems to me that currently we are limiting that from happening with our education system. I have kids in school and university. Recently I attended a open evening a comp in Swansea. It was to discuss the options for my daughter. She is talented and doing very well in school. She has no interest in Welsh but her options were limited because too much time will be taken up by the Welsh Lang'. Discussing this with the teachers, even they agreed!! Says it all.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that kids should be taught in Spanish! Whether we like it or not English is the dominant language in Wales. That said, I am not saying schools should not offer Welsh, merely it should be a choice. Especially in the final two years.

I had to learn Welsh in school. I've not used it since I left many moons ago. Never had the need nor inclination. However, in pretty much every job I have had up to running my own business I am exposed to other cultures and more prominent languages.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2014 16:11]

Yeah sorry Spanish was just an example, if children are to be taught in a language other than English in this country it will be Welsh, that was the only point I was making there. I do agree that something needs to be done about the quality of education in Wales. The problem I see with that is there seems to be a fear of deviating too far from the same curriculum as England in case it hinders Welsh children's chances of getting into English Universities. A load of bollocks in my opinion, students from the continent are able to get into English universities fine. I think Wales will struggle economically as long as talented students and graduates leave Wales for England, never to return. There does seem to be a big drive by the Welsh government to make Wales an attractive place for leading scientists to work. Also there is an effort to reward Welsh scientists that stay in Wales. I myself am leaving Wales to study a PhD at an English University after obtaining two masters degrees from Welsh Universities. I do hope that I will be able to return to Wales after my PhD to work in Wales.

I always see the argument about Welsh being unimportant globally and useless for international business. I just don't think it is a relevant argument, outside of English there are only a few other languages that are that useful internationally outside of speaking to the locals. It is my opinion however that teaching Welsh children the language and history of Wales might instill a stronger sense of national pride and may just encourage a few more of the best an brightest of Wales's young people to stay in Wales rather than run across the border to England. That for me is the biggest problem that Wales's economy

Upthecity!

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:45 - Jul 25 with 687 viewscostalotta

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:29 - Jul 25 by yescomeon

Yeah sorry Spanish was just an example, if children are to be taught in a language other than English in this country it will be Welsh, that was the only point I was making there. I do agree that something needs to be done about the quality of education in Wales. The problem I see with that is there seems to be a fear of deviating too far from the same curriculum as England in case it hinders Welsh children's chances of getting into English Universities. A load of bollocks in my opinion, students from the continent are able to get into English universities fine. I think Wales will struggle economically as long as talented students and graduates leave Wales for England, never to return. There does seem to be a big drive by the Welsh government to make Wales an attractive place for leading scientists to work. Also there is an effort to reward Welsh scientists that stay in Wales. I myself am leaving Wales to study a PhD at an English University after obtaining two masters degrees from Welsh Universities. I do hope that I will be able to return to Wales after my PhD to work in Wales.

I always see the argument about Welsh being unimportant globally and useless for international business. I just don't think it is a relevant argument, outside of English there are only a few other languages that are that useful internationally outside of speaking to the locals. It is my opinion however that teaching Welsh children the language and history of Wales might instill a stronger sense of national pride and may just encourage a few more of the best an brightest of Wales's young people to stay in Wales rather than run across the border to England. That for me is the biggest problem that Wales's economy

Your argument is strong because you present it well.

However, the reason why the talented graduates and others leave Wales is because of the lack of jobs. I seen on the new the other day about a company in Cardiff creating their own Software university (or something like that anyway). Basically they were saying there are not enough Software Engineers. I know that's a subject taught in higher education but we need to prepare the kids for this kind of Education. That means the kids perform better at the sciences, mathematics and English. As well as the arts too. But the fact is we are not. Maybe, just maybe that's because within the finite amount of time pupils have in school, too much of that time is spent on Welsh.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:48 - Jul 25 with 685 viewscostalotta

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:29 - Jul 25 by yescomeon

Out of interest, what is the subject matter of your PhD?
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:55 - Jul 25 with 681 viewsyescomeon

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:48 - Jul 25 by costalotta

Out of interest, what is the subject matter of your PhD?

The title of the project is "Flow modification in a tidal farm and potential effects on marine habitats". For me an incredibly important subject. I believe that a large part of Wales's economic future lies in the offshore renewable industry, so I do hope that my chosen field will bring me home eventually.

Upthecity!

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:03 - Jul 25 with 675 viewsyescomeon

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:45 - Jul 25 by costalotta

Your argument is strong because you present it well.

However, the reason why the talented graduates and others leave Wales is because of the lack of jobs. I seen on the new the other day about a company in Cardiff creating their own Software university (or something like that anyway). Basically they were saying there are not enough Software Engineers. I know that's a subject taught in higher education but we need to prepare the kids for this kind of Education. That means the kids perform better at the sciences, mathematics and English. As well as the arts too. But the fact is we are not. Maybe, just maybe that's because within the finite amount of time pupils have in school, too much of that time is spent on Welsh.

In complete agreement about lack of jobs, in this big overhaul of education I would personally like to see lots of emphasis put on entrepreneurialism to encourage more talented young people to make the effort to start their own companies. Obviously plenty of funding from the Welsh Government should be made available for young entrepreneurs to start businesses.

I do not feel that being "forced" (a strong word there) to learn Welsh in any way was detrimental to my education.

Upthecity!

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:06 - Jul 25 with 672 viewscostalotta

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:55 - Jul 25 by yescomeon

The title of the project is "Flow modification in a tidal farm and potential effects on marine habitats". For me an incredibly important subject. I believe that a large part of Wales's economic future lies in the offshore renewable industry, so I do hope that my chosen field will bring me home eventually.

Sounds fascinating!

I was reading (or it may have been on TV) the other day about some sea grass on the Welsh coast that's endangered. It was a huge area but its decreasing in size. Im sure they said it was the size of 40 football pitches. Anyway, good luck with your PhD. I only went as far M.Sc.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:12 - Jul 25 with 671 viewscostalotta

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:03 - Jul 25 by yescomeon

In complete agreement about lack of jobs, in this big overhaul of education I would personally like to see lots of emphasis put on entrepreneurialism to encourage more talented young people to make the effort to start their own companies. Obviously plenty of funding from the Welsh Government should be made available for young entrepreneurs to start businesses.

I do not feel that being "forced" (a strong word there) to learn Welsh in any way was detrimental to my education.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Ah the Welsh Government, don't get me started on that subject! hahaha.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:15 - Jul 25 with 666 viewscostalotta

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 16:19 - Jul 25 by Neath_Jack

Muppet? I think Welsh is more useful than Spanish? Really?

There was many contributors to this thread without any personal abuse given, until you came along of course. I shan't afford an answer to any of your replies.

Go away.

Abuse.

I seem to recall be you asking me to go away. Someone with thinner skin than myself may have considered that abusive just because you don't agree with something.

I apologise for calling you a Muppet, but not for thinking it!
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:42 - Jul 25 with 649 viewsHighjack

I always find that welsh speakers always exude an attitude of superiority. I got into an argument with a massive fat bird in a pub in Lampeter once because I couldn't speak welsh and because of this the gargantuan mound of blubber accused me of being english.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:52 - Jul 25 with 643 viewsBovi

No need for Welsh to be taught outside of Wales but it should be taught in Wales. Seeing the players in the Welsh football team who can't sing our anthem is embarrassing, huge difference with the rugby team because nearly all of them know it. Teaching the anthem should be compulsory in all Welsh schools, even if you don't understand it at least know the words to sing along to it.

What's wrong with saying Mong's ?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:30 - Jul 25 with 629 viewsJackfath

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:52 - Jul 25 by Bovi

No need for Welsh to be taught outside of Wales but it should be taught in Wales. Seeing the players in the Welsh football team who can't sing our anthem is embarrassing, huge difference with the rugby team because nearly all of them know it. Teaching the anthem should be compulsory in all Welsh schools, even if you don't understand it at least know the words to sing along to it.

Just in case you make it to the National rugby or football teams.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:39 - Jul 25 with 618 viewsThursday

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 17:52 - Jul 25 by Bovi

I remember having to recite The Lord's Prayer every day, probably a hundred times more often than reciting the National Anthem. Neither of them did me any good.

Welsh Football players don't sing the anthem not because they didn't learn it in school. They don't sing it because they don't want to. It's not difficult to learn the Anthem phonetically as an adult; if it were that important, nailing the anthem would be the first thing they'd do.

I bet they had to recite The Lord's Prayer a hundred times more often, too. But, they still ended up as footballers not priests.
Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:43 - Jul 25 with 603 viewsBovi

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 18:30 - Jul 25 by Jackfath

Just in case you make it to the National rugby or football teams.

Well you'd know all about how fcuking useless the schools are in Wales and the sh1t teachers in them.

Hardly surprising kids are generally thick as fcuk and can't speak the language with people like you about

What's wrong with saying Mong's ?

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:45 - Jul 25 with 599 viewsJackfath

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:43 - Jul 25 by Bovi

Well you'd know all about how fcuking useless the schools are in Wales and the sh1t teachers in them.

Hardly surprising kids are generally thick as fcuk and can't speak the language with people like you about

Yes. It's all my fault.

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:53 - Jul 25 with 594 viewsexiledclaseboy

Welsh should be taught in all British schools on 19:43 - Jul 25 by Bovi

Perhaps you should take up teaching. That would make us all more optimistic about our kids' future. Get on it.

Poll: Tory leader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024