Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great to see youngsters given a chance. 08:44 - Jul 30 with 1857 viewsNOTRAC

Wonderful to see so many youngsters given a go at Exeter last night.
Josh Sheehan ,the scorer of the second goal, is only19. Liam Shepherd ,the son of Gary Shepherd,ex Merthyr manager, is also 19. Scott Tancock and Stephen Kingsley are 20 years old.
When one considers that with the recent sale of Ben Davies and the previous sale of joe Allen we have made £25m from home grown talent,this has to be the way forward.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 08:50 - Jul 30 with 1419 viewsKennedy

Alex Bray looks like hewas getting alot of game time (injured last night) and only 18

Just call me JFK

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 08:54 - Jul 30 with 1409 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Whilst I agree it's great to have our home grown talent but would err with extreme caution before putting them up against prem teams. We got lucky with Ben, he was chucked in at the deep end and swam not sunk.
We are a multi million pound business so we should be spending good money on already proven players but I wouldn't mind some of the youngsters playing in the league cup. That's good experience for them.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 09:10 - Jul 30 with 1358 viewsheadcleaner

I don't see how we got lucky with Ben. Fact is the club are a prem outfit and have some professionals who know what they are doing and I don't believe it's luck and would prefer to see it as good judgement and skill than luck.

In order to progress we are going to have To have our academy players breaking through at some point or at least one every other season. To make 25 mill in a couple of years is simply superb work however you like to call it.
Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 09:12 - Jul 30 with 1351 viewsMattG

I agree with Bryn - unless there is no alternative or we are comfortably safe with a couple of games left and nothing to play for, I don't see the benefit of throwing youngsters into the PL just for the sake of it.

We can use the League Cup and, to a lesser extent, the FA Cup for that if we need to. The PL is too important to be gambling on.
Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 09:22 - Jul 30 with 1310 viewsNeath_Jack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 09:12 - Jul 30 by MattG

I agree with Bryn - unless there is no alternative or we are comfortably safe with a couple of games left and nothing to play for, I don't see the benefit of throwing youngsters into the PL just for the sake of it.

We can use the League Cup and, to a lesser extent, the FA Cup for that if we need to. The PL is too important to be gambling on.

If they're good enough, they're old enough. And old cliché but never a truer word spoken.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 09:33 - Jul 30 with 1265 viewsKennedy

Exactly, we are not Chelsea, QPR etc who throw money at proven players.

Southampton did alright with their academy players who have made them 100m+ in the last few years.

Just call me JFK

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 09:38 - Jul 30 with 1250 viewsNeath_Jack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 09:33 - Jul 30 by Kennedy

Southampton did alright with their academy players who have made them 100m+ in the last few years.

Didn't a certain Jock once famously say, "You won't win anything with kids".

I wonder how that went.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 09:38 - Jul 30 with 1247 viewsMattG

Who said anything about throwing money at players? We haven't done that for decades and, hopefully, never will again.

I do agree that if they are good enough then they are old enough - my point was more that, unless we are forced into it, it's better to find out if they are good enough in less important matches rather than dropping them straight into the PL.
Login to get fewer ads

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 09:43 - Jul 30 with 1228 viewsNeath_Jack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 09:38 - Jul 30 by MattG

Who said anything about throwing money at players? We haven't done that for decades and, hopefully, never will again.

I do agree that if they are good enough then they are old enough - my point was more that, unless we are forced into it, it's better to find out if they are good enough in less important matches rather than dropping them straight into the PL.

Bony didn't come cheap mind, nor any of the other transfer records we broke previously to him.

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:03 - Jul 30 with 1174 viewsKennedy

Since being in the PL we have spent around £30m on just midfield players, so yes we are spending money on proven players. but our academy was dire 4 years ago.

The only way we can survive/compete in this league is to sell a youngster for £10m every 2 years.

Just call me JFK

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:15 - Jul 30 with 1146 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:03 - Jul 30 by Kennedy

Since being in the PL we have spent around £30m on just midfield players, so yes we are spending money on proven players. but our academy was dire 4 years ago.

The only way we can survive/compete in this league is to sell a youngster for £10m every 2 years.

I think selling Joe was a tremendous bit of business but so was buying Michu for £ 2 million . It's not just about puppy farming here , weake the money we spend on players go a long way . We don't throw money around but sometimes (a la Bony) we have to. You get what you pay for

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:18 - Jul 30 with 1137 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 09:38 - Jul 30 by Neath_Jack

Didn't a certain Jock once famously say, "You won't win anything with kids".

I wonder how that went.

You can't seriously be comparing Man Utd's youth academy back then to what we have now ?

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:31 - Jul 30 with 1083 viewsNeath_Jack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:18 - Jul 30 by Brynmill_Jack

You can't seriously be comparing Man Utd's youth academy back then to what we have now ?

You didn't seriously miss the smiley at the bottom did you?

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:36 - Jul 30 with 1073 viewsmonmouth

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 08:54 - Jul 30 by Brynmill_Jack

Whilst I agree it's great to have our home grown talent but would err with extreme caution before putting them up against prem teams. We got lucky with Ben, he was chucked in at the deep end and swam not sunk.
We are a multi million pound business so we should be spending good money on already proven players but I wouldn't mind some of the youngsters playing in the league cup. That's good experience for them.

We should be trying to turn ourselves into the Welsh version of Ajax though Bryn, so I think we've got to try them out and show faith, and that means testing them under real pressure. Not sure about the cup idea - that's our only chance to win something so I'd like to go balls out for both cups. Perhaps get safe pdq and then start trying out the best youngsters in the PL. I think GM would do that as he showed with Fulton at the end of last season.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:47 - Jul 30 with 1054 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:31 - Jul 30 by Neath_Jack

You didn't seriously miss the smiley at the bottom did you?

No, I just assumed that was for Alan Hansen. That would have made more sense

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:49 - Jul 30 with 1047 viewsBloodyhills

Almost seems like in the last few weeks. :-)

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:51 - Jul 30 with 1038 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:36 - Jul 30 by monmouth

We should be trying to turn ourselves into the Welsh version of Ajax though Bryn, so I think we've got to try them out and show faith, and that means testing them under real pressure. Not sure about the cup idea - that's our only chance to win something so I'd like to go balls out for both cups. Perhaps get safe pdq and then start trying out the best youngsters in the PL. I think GM would do that as he showed with Fulton at the end of last season.

Not the FA cup, the league cup Mon. We've already won that. But risking 3 points by fielding too many youngsters would be more of a concern. The issue really is the different levels of intensity between U21 and PL games. If youngsters are coming on nicely have them loaned out to NPC or League one sides to sharpen them up.

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:53 - Jul 30 with 1033 viewsC_jack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 09:22 - Jul 30 by Neath_Jack

If they're good enough, they're old enough. And old cliché but never a truer word spoken.

Never a load of truer bollox spoken, you mean.

Hence why it's unanimously accepted that Ben struggled last year to meet the standard of his first season
[Post edited 30 Jul 2014 10:54]

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:05 - Jul 30 with 1003 viewsNeath_Jack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:53 - Jul 30 by C_jack

Hence why it's unanimously accepted that Ben struggled last year to meet the standard of his first season

What? So tell me, at what age are youngsters old enough before they are deemed suitable for first team football.

Drizzy is right about you.

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:07 - Jul 30 with 992 viewsBig_Phil

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:53 - Jul 30 by C_jack

Well its not unanimously accepted given Spurs just spent £10M on him based I assume on their assessment of his performances last season!!!!!

I agree with you though - tailed off badly post Christmas last year (and that's a huge chunk of the season)
Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:12 - Jul 30 with 977 viewsC_jack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:05 - Jul 30 by Neath_Jack

What? So tell me, at what age are youngsters old enough before they are deemed suitable for first team football.

Drizzy is right about you.

At least 21 (imo, some say older) before they should be exposed to a full season of football at that level. 37 games for a 19 year old Ben was absolutely amateur from the club, no matter how well he was playing at the time, and he suffered for it last year. Nowhere near fully developed and his body could not catch up.

Look around at how many top clubs throw an 18 year old into a full season. Idiocy, that often ends up in burn out and injuries later on in the career.

"Drizzy is right about you" 'kin ell, wtf was that? I'd delete to save your embarassment.

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:16 - Jul 30 with 961 viewsNeath_Jack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:12 - Jul 30 by C_jack

At least 21 (imo, some say older) before they should be exposed to a full season of football at that level. 37 games for a 19 year old Ben was absolutely amateur from the club, no matter how well he was playing at the time, and he suffered for it last year. Nowhere near fully developed and his body could not catch up.

Look around at how many top clubs throw an 18 year old into a full season. Idiocy, that often ends up in burn out and injuries later on in the career.

"Drizzy is right about you" 'kin ell, wtf was that? I'd delete to save your embarassment.

You're an absolute bonehead, that's what he's right about. Who mentioned full seasons, you've realised you've made a silly statement and are now scrabbling around trying to save a bit of face.

You should a right a sternly worded letter to all professional teams, warning them not to play their youngsters in the first teams until they are 21.

If they're good enough, then they're old enough.

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:20 - Jul 30 with 942 viewsC_jack

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:16 - Jul 30 by Neath_Jack

You're an absolute bonehead, that's what he's right about. Who mentioned full seasons, you've realised you've made a silly statement and are now scrabbling around trying to save a bit of face.

You should a right a sternly worded letter to all professional teams, warning them not to play their youngsters in the first teams until they are 21.

You don't really get it, or the idiocy of the cliche

Ben was good enough, so he was old enough to continue playing as many games as he did?

do you agree with that?

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:21 - Jul 30 with 937 viewsDr_Winston

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 10:03 - Jul 30 by Kennedy

Not sure that we have to sell players to survive or compete. The likelihood is that we will still sell certain individuals every so often because we're not a big enough club to offer them the standard of football or wage that they could get elsewhere, but we won't need to do it out of necessity.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:26 - Jul 30 with 917 viewsLe_Swans

Great to see youngsters given a chance. on 11:16 - Jul 30 by Neath_Jack

I'm sure Fabregas was made Arsenal captain at 20/21, that Wenger really doesn't know what he's doing does he.

If they are good enough they will play, coaches and managers will know their players an awful lot better than us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024