Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cut the sugar 12:49 - Sep 16 with 8480 viewsCatullus

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/action-needed-to-curb-sugar-intake

We all get too much sugar. And i saw recently (though can't find the link) a U.S. survey that reckons salt in our diet isn't the problem we thought, but that sugar is. They claimed that it's actually sugar that is responsible for high blood pressure.
That makes sense in my case. I have never added salt to my food, not even a chip shop tea. But I love my sugar!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Cut the sugar on 13:19 - Sep 17 with 1328 viewsperchrockjack

Not my missus parents. She s alone

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Cut the sugar on 13:24 - Sep 17 with 1326 viewsCatullus

Cut the sugar on 19:19 - Sep 16 by londonlisa2001

If the orange juice in a carton is just orange juice (I mean, it's not Sunny D or similar to which sugar is added) there is exactly the same amount of sugar in orange juice in a carton as orange juice that is freshly squeezed.

The difference is that when it's in a carton you tend to drink more, that juice on its own is worse for you than the whole orange pulped because of the fibre in a whole orange and lack of fibre in just the juice (you'll drink less because it fills you up more) and also, crucially, because you don't get to see the sugar content of freshly squeezed because they have to list it on cartons and not on fresh (about to change by the way).

The problem with the sugar debate is that it will lead to companies adding sweeteners, which won't show up as sugar, but are actually encouraging people to have a 'sweeter tooth' and crave sweet things more.

Sugar added to foods that you don't think about (bread, burgers, processed ready meals etc) is much worse than things like orange juice or fruit - there is a lot of misinformation around. A person working as a nutritionist in the NHS said to me recently ' put it this way, our wards are not full of people that are clinically obese because they've eaten too much fruit'.

Exactlty. naturally occurring sugar isn't really the issue. It's all the sugar they add to already rubbish food to make it take nicer, and even make it addicitve.

Yes the sugar in fruit is (by itself) bad for us, but the overall beneficial effect of fruit (in the right amount) is ok. Too much fruit is bad for us too. And when you eat a daily sized (by government stats) amount of fruit, any more of that fruit is no good for you.
So one apple a day is good, 5 a day has no extra beneficial effect.

It comes down to having a varied diet, everything in moderation. But there is nothing moderate about the amount of sugar big companies hide in our food.
Asda and Tesco bargain bucket food, extra sugar to make up for lack of taste. Soft drinks, fast food, it's everywhere.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Cut the sugar on 13:36 - Sep 17 with 1317 viewslondonlisa2001

Cut the sugar on 13:24 - Sep 17 by Catullus

Exactlty. naturally occurring sugar isn't really the issue. It's all the sugar they add to already rubbish food to make it take nicer, and even make it addicitve.

Yes the sugar in fruit is (by itself) bad for us, but the overall beneficial effect of fruit (in the right amount) is ok. Too much fruit is bad for us too. And when you eat a daily sized (by government stats) amount of fruit, any more of that fruit is no good for you.
So one apple a day is good, 5 a day has no extra beneficial effect.

It comes down to having a varied diet, everything in moderation. But there is nothing moderate about the amount of sugar big companies hide in our food.
Asda and Tesco bargain bucket food, extra sugar to make up for lack of taste. Soft drinks, fast food, it's everywhere.

part of the problem has been caused by the 'fat free' craze.

Half of the adverts on the tv for 'healthy' food are zero fat yoghurt etc. The problem is that they pump some of these choices with sugar to make them taste of something without the fat content which would naturally be in these foods.

The biggest issue is the 'diet' industry that has caused this. What people actually do to lose weight is cut back on calories (and an easy way of doing this is with fat free food since there are more calories in a g of fat than in a g of protein or carbohydrate). What people do less often is up their activity level instead. Cutting food leads to a reduction in metabolic rate and a spiral of ever decreasing return that is non sustainable in the longer term.
Much better and healthier to eat everything in moderation, to eat as naturally as possible (no processed food, no junk food) and to move more.
Cut the sugar on 13:43 - Sep 17 with 1313 viewsCatullus

Cut the sugar on 13:36 - Sep 17 by londonlisa2001

part of the problem has been caused by the 'fat free' craze.

Half of the adverts on the tv for 'healthy' food are zero fat yoghurt etc. The problem is that they pump some of these choices with sugar to make them taste of something without the fat content which would naturally be in these foods.

The biggest issue is the 'diet' industry that has caused this. What people actually do to lose weight is cut back on calories (and an easy way of doing this is with fat free food since there are more calories in a g of fat than in a g of protein or carbohydrate). What people do less often is up their activity level instead. Cutting food leads to a reduction in metabolic rate and a spiral of ever decreasing return that is non sustainable in the longer term.
Much better and healthier to eat everything in moderation, to eat as naturally as possible (no processed food, no junk food) and to move more.

Yep, eat your normal food but maybe slightly less, and get more exercise.

Our son is 5, he's a bit chunky but I was at his age, it's our family shape!! But we limit his time in front of the tv and on consoles. We take him to the park, out on his scooter, walking, he's signed up for an under 7 football team and he's going on the Swans 6 week "fun football" course. Too many kids don't play properly.
I have never been skinny and I loved my food, but I was fit. I had an active job and played football until I was 40. Mind you, 30 years of playing football has ruined my joints!!!
Point being, you can eat more if you burn it off.

Cut the sugar on 13:55 - Sep 17 with 1308 viewslondonlisa2001

Cut the sugar on 13:43 - Sep 17 by Catullus

Yep, eat your normal food but maybe slightly less, and get more exercise.

Our son is 5, he's a bit chunky but I was at his age, it's our family shape!! But we limit his time in front of the tv and on consoles. We take him to the park, out on his scooter, walking, he's signed up for an under 7 football team and he's going on the Swans 6 week "fun football" course. Too many kids don't play properly.
I have never been skinny and I loved my food, but I was fit. I had an active job and played football until I was 40. Mind you, 30 years of playing football has ruined my joints!!!
Point being, you can eat more if you burn it off.

I feel sorry for a lot of kids. I was in the supermarket a couple of weeks ago and there was a young kid, about 7 or 8 who was huge. His Mum (who was also huge) was pushing a trolley full of absolute crap - no fruit and vegetables, just processed ready meals, frozen stuff (chips, pizzas, ice cream), crisps, chocolates, huge bottles of cheap pop. The kid doesn't stand a chance. And the funny thing is that if asked, she may well say that she can't afford good food. But the reality is that the fresh fruit & veg is miles cheaper than the ready meals, snacks etc. Perhaps she doesn't know anything much about nutrition, but she must realise that the junk food in the trolley is not good for her family.

It's a bit sad really. I think schools should re introduce cooking and food onto the syllabus (I think home economics may have just been reintroduced actually). At least that way, the children themselves will be able to educate their parents about it. As a kid i loved to cook, and still do - if you start young, you'll always enjoy it and be able to knock something up pretty cheaply. A lot don't have a clue.
Cut the sugar on 14:02 - Sep 17 with 1301 viewsSwanjack10

Cut the sugar on 13:55 - Sep 17 by londonlisa2001

I feel sorry for a lot of kids. I was in the supermarket a couple of weeks ago and there was a young kid, about 7 or 8 who was huge. His Mum (who was also huge) was pushing a trolley full of absolute crap - no fruit and vegetables, just processed ready meals, frozen stuff (chips, pizzas, ice cream), crisps, chocolates, huge bottles of cheap pop. The kid doesn't stand a chance. And the funny thing is that if asked, she may well say that she can't afford good food. But the reality is that the fresh fruit & veg is miles cheaper than the ready meals, snacks etc. Perhaps she doesn't know anything much about nutrition, but she must realise that the junk food in the trolley is not good for her family.

It's a bit sad really. I think schools should re introduce cooking and food onto the syllabus (I think home economics may have just been reintroduced actually). At least that way, the children themselves will be able to educate their parents about it. As a kid i loved to cook, and still do - if you start young, you'll always enjoy it and be able to knock something up pretty cheaply. A lot don't have a clue.

Great post lisa,fresh produce is a hell of a lot cheaper,swansea market is full of fresh veg,fruit and meat...

ambition is critical....................
Poll: do you think swanjack10 should be a moderator?

Cut the sugar on 14:07 - Sep 17 with 1296 viewsBaker

Great post! You would make an excellent mother to our children Lisa.

Windsor Cafe around 4ish?

May I say? what a smashing blouse you have on!

Cut the sugar on 14:21 - Sep 17 with 1282 viewslondonlisa2001

Cut the sugar on 14:02 - Sep 17 by Swanjack10

Great post lisa,fresh produce is a hell of a lot cheaper,swansea market is full of fresh veg,fruit and meat...

Swansea market is brilliant!

And even in London where everyone moans about the cost of living etc, we are blessed with weekly local farmers markets (which can be a bit pricey) but also with amazing 'ethnic' stores that are piled high with fruit & veg really cheap.

It's just education really. Anyone that thinks that something like Burger King or KFC is cheap needs their heads read - I always think it's really expensive.
Login to get fewer ads

Cut the sugar on 14:22 - Sep 17 with 1279 viewslondonlisa2001

Cut the sugar on 14:07 - Sep 17 by Baker

Great post! You would make an excellent mother to our children Lisa.

Windsor Cafe around 4ish?

I'm in London Baker. so would struggle to get to the Windsor by 4 :-)
Cut the sugar on 14:24 - Sep 17 with 1272 viewsBaker

Cut the sugar on 14:22 - Sep 17 by londonlisa2001

I'm in London Baker. so would struggle to get to the Windsor by 4 :-)

No worries, I'll send a car now, wear summat slutty.

Cut the sugar on 14:27 - Sep 17 with 1268 viewslondonlisa2001

Cut the sugar on 14:24 - Sep 17 by Baker

No worries, I'll send a car now, wear summat slutty.

Oh - that's lovely to be fair. I can't imagine any woman not being attracted by that.....

Not sure I can cope with all that romance on a dreary Wednesday though - it's all a bit overwhelming
Cut the sugar on 14:28 - Sep 17 with 1265 viewsBaker

Cut the sugar on 14:27 - Sep 17 by londonlisa2001

Oh - that's lovely to be fair. I can't imagine any woman not being attracted by that.....

Not sure I can cope with all that romance on a dreary Wednesday though - it's all a bit overwhelming

Maybe another time eh?

Cut the sugar on 14:31 - Sep 17 with 1257 viewslondonlisa2001

Cut the sugar on 14:28 - Sep 17 by Baker

Maybe another time eh?

oh absolutely - next time I want to be swept of my feet in the Windsor Cafe there'll be only one place I turn
Cut the sugar on 14:38 - Sep 17 with 1252 viewsBaker

Cut the sugar on 14:31 - Sep 17 by londonlisa2001

oh absolutely - next time I want to be swept of my feet in the Windsor Cafe there'll be only one place I turn

Ha! My sexual prowess knows no bounds!

STITCH THAT BRYNMILL!!

*moonwalks out of forum*

Cut the sugar on 14:59 - Sep 17 with 1238 viewsSwanjack10

Cut the sugar on 14:38 - Sep 17 by Baker

Ha! My sexual prowess knows no bounds!

STITCH THAT BRYNMILL!!

*moonwalks out of forum*

The return of savilles is back,lisa be aware that he will try and groom,but fuk the big luminous ball sack starving prik,he cant a half a can of tinned tomatoes let alone the windsor

ambition is critical....................
Poll: do you think swanjack10 should be a moderator?

Cut the sugar on 16:06 - Sep 17 with 930 viewsCatullus

Our school did a family learning course, parents and kids. It was a once a week cookery course through the year.
And now they are doing a cookery after school club just for the kids.

Cut the sugar on 16:13 - Sep 17 with 925 viewslondonlisa2001

Cut the sugar on 16:06 - Sep 17 by Catullus

Our school did a family learning course, parents and kids. It was a once a week cookery course through the year.
And now they are doing a cookery after school club just for the kids.

That's absolutely brilliant!

What a great idea from the school - no better head start they can give to children than giving them the information to allow them to be as healthy as possible and the amount of ill health in this country caused by bad diet is unbelievable. Obviously some people will unfortunately suffer even when they have good nutrition as Perchrock said, but it will certainly help in a lot of cases.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024