Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guitar strings 11:02 - Oct 22 with 554 viewsperchrockjack

Preferences gentlemen and what particular strings bring to the table..
For me, with Sitka/rosewood top sides ,mahogany fretboard MARTIN phospheros bronze LIght...via Stringbusters Ltd

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Guitar strings on 11:32 - Oct 22 with 537 viewsWarwickHunt

As a proud owner of a Martin (mahogany body) guitar (what mid-life crisis?) I can confidently say their strings are utter shite ( in my opinion Richie before you go off on one... ). D'Arrario Phosphor Bronze 11s for acoustic, Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky for electric - unwound G and so perfect for slide too.

Light strings are for wimps.
Guitar strings on 11:35 - Oct 22 with 532 viewsCurcubita_Ultra

Martin 80/20 bronzewound light on my Fender

Martin M170s extra light on my Applause bowlback.
Guitar strings on 11:40 - Oct 22 with 525 viewsperchrockjack

Phil.

ME? go off on one? Jamais .

I ve tried most and have gone back to the top end MARTINS as they perform well on my Guild 6. Ive got them on the 12 and they zing and they last.

Anyway, I ve just ordered 6 packs of the SP so thanks ukant

Guitar strings on 11:42 - Oct 22 with 524 viewsCurcubita_Ultra

Guitar strings on 11:32 - Oct 22 by WarwickHunt

As a proud owner of a Martin (mahogany body) guitar (what mid-life crisis?) I can confidently say their strings are utter shite ( in my opinion Richie before you go off on one... ). D'Arrario Phosphor Bronze 11s for acoustic, Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky for electric - unwound G and so perfect for slide too.

Light strings are for wimps.

Light strings are for wimps indeed??!...bang it gramps!!

I used to have callouses like bottle tops when I gigged/played a lot and used to use heavy Ernie Ball Bronzewound even though my Fender had a pretty high action....eventually got the saddle lowered and now I'm a casual user I find lighter gauge helps me play longer without the need fir a soak in surgical spirit ;)
Guitar strings on 11:44 - Oct 22 with 522 viewsperchrockjack

warwick.

I might have said previously that I went to buy a HD28 from a guy on e bay.

I took my Guild D55 as a comparison and when he and I played the both he said to me, "well I know what you re going to say" which was basically the Guild blew it away in tone and volume.

I ve also tried a 28 in Forsyths in Manchester and was underwhelmed. I found TAYLOR top ends to be possibly the best.
I really shouldn't be buying any more

Guitar strings on 11:48 - Oct 22 with 521 viewsCurcubita_Ultra

Guitar strings on 11:40 - Oct 22 by perchrockjack

Phil.

ME? go off on one? Jamais .

I ve tried most and have gone back to the top end MARTINS as they perform well on my Guild 6. Ive got them on the 12 and they zing and they last.

Anyway, I ve just ordered 6 packs of the SP so thanks ukant

I find Martins to have longevity too Rich. Ernie Balls dull quickly and snap too easily in my opinion .....
Guitar strings on 11:52 - Oct 22 with 512 viewsperchrockjack

I too can snap easily.
Touch me, do I not bleed

Guitar strings on 17:59 - Oct 22 with 468 viewsWarwickHunt

Guitar strings on 11:44 - Oct 22 by perchrockjack

warwick.

I might have said previously that I went to buy a HD28 from a guy on e bay.

I took my Guild D55 as a comparison and when he and I played the both he said to me, "well I know what you re going to say" which was basically the Guild blew it away in tone and volume.

I ve also tried a 28 in Forsyths in Manchester and was underwhelmed. I found TAYLOR top ends to be possibly the best.
I really shouldn't be buying any more

Martins come with shite Martin strings which may possibly explain why your Guild sounded much better. Both great makes though.
Taylors are superb - the Baby & Big Baby are probably the best bang for your buck acoustic anywhere.

Cole Clark and Maton are on my list if I win the Lotto (unlikely as I never remember to do it...). Never played an Ayers but heard great things - hand made in Vietnam and not second mortgage jobs...
Login to get fewer ads

Guitar strings on 20:02 - Oct 22 with 432 viewsGowerjack

Bernard Edwards the late great bassist with Chic was once asked what strings he used..

He turned to his partner in Chic, guitarist Nile Rodgers, and said:

"What kind of strings come on a MusicMan bass?"

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Guitar strings on 23:31 - Oct 22 with 398 viewsperchrockjack

Imo martins are not what they were years ago.

Overpriced and not worth the money although I know the jumbos are monsters..

I always wanted s Gibson j 200) but missus confiscated my credit card in time

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024