Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nigel Owens 14:16 - Nov 13 with 4461 viewsacejack3065

Having to put up with homophobic abuse from the English rugby crowd.

I like rugby and football equally. I'm not one of those typical welsh people who feels the need to pick one and let it define their personality like some of my friends and family.

What has annoyed me here is I can't help but think this would be front page news if it was football but because it's rugby it just murmurs quietly in the background. Homophobia has no place in sport or society and if this is proven to be true then the "fans" in question need to be dealt with severely, in the same way misbehaving football fans are dealt with.
Nigel Owens on 14:17 - Nov 13 with 3057 viewsacejack3065

Forgot the link

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/30033343
Nigel Owens on 14:46 - Nov 13 with 2987 viewsDarran

That link is straighter that Owens himself.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Nigel Owens on 15:26 - Nov 13 with 2918 viewsScoobyWho

Nigel Owens on 14:46 - Nov 13 by Darran

That link is straighter that Owens himself.

Do you see anything wrong with what you have said there Darran ?

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Nigel Owens on 15:40 - Nov 13 with 2885 viewshammy

And how ironic that it is rugby players that are able to "come out" as opposed to footballers ...

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Nigel Owens on 15:42 - Nov 13 with 2877 viewsDarran

Nigel Owens on 15:26 - Nov 13 by ScoobyWho

No I do not do you?

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/128519/nigel-owens...-fa

Nigel Owens on 15:43 - Nov 13 with 2879 viewsSweyns_Eye

Nigel Owens on 15:26 - Nov 13 by ScoobyWho

http://www.rugbydump.com/2014/10/3932/friday-funnies-nigel-owens-is-straighter-t

"After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked". Hermann Goring, 1943.
Poll: How long do you think Monk will last managing Leeds?

Nigel Owens on 15:49 - Nov 13 with 2859 viewsScoobyWho

Nigel Owens on 15:42 - Nov 13 by Darran

No I do not do you?

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/128519/nigel-owens...-fa

Ha ...
It's ok then if others say similar things. Then it's endorsed as banter.
Nice.

Nigel Owens on 15:51 - Nov 13 with 2852 viewsDarran

Nigel Owens on 15:49 - Nov 13 by ScoobyWho

Ha ...
It's ok then if others say similar things. Then it's endorsed as banter.
Nice.

If you say so.

Login to get fewer ads

Nigel Owens on 15:53 - Nov 13 with 2847 viewsScoobyWho

Nigel Owens on 15:51 - Nov 13 by Darran

If you say so.

I do Darran.

Nigel Owens on 15:54 - Nov 13 with 2833 viewsDarran

Nigel Owens on 15:53 - Nov 13 by ScoobyWho

I do Darran.

Tidy.

Nigel Owens on 17:11 - Nov 13 with 2726 viewslatchford

Don't approve of what was said to Owen.
The article in the western fail about him though does suggest he's a tosser. He said he doesn't want remarks like that resulting in rugby descending to where football is. Why do arseholes like him go on about rugby being some kind of superior game to football?
Nigel Owens on 17:13 - Nov 13 with 2718 viewsScoobyWho

Nigel Owens on 17:11 - Nov 13 by latchford

The article in the western fail about him though does suggest he's a tosser. He said he doesn't want remarks like that resulting in rugby descending to where football is. Why do arseholes like him go on about rugby being some kind of superior game to football?

Arsehole ?
You will get Darran going again ...

Nigel Owens on 17:24 - Nov 13 with 2664 viewsItchySphincter

The bloke's a ferkin prick. Nothing to do with being gay, just an observation. Not a bigger poseur to be found west of Loughor Bridge.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Nigel Owens on 17:40 - Nov 13 with 2645 viewsDarran

Nigel Owens on 17:13 - Nov 13 by ScoobyWho

Arsehole ?
You will get Darran going again ...

I don't go on arseholes.

Nigel Owens on 17:45 - Nov 13 with 2628 viewsSpokenword

Nigel Owens on 17:24 - Nov 13 by ItchySphincter

The bloke's a ferkin prick. Nothing to do with being gay, just an observation. Not a bigger poseur to be found west of Loughor Bridge.

For you to assume that is wrong. Nigel Owens is actually a decent guy, from my dealings with him anyway. He is also a top class ref and respected worldwide as so.
Nigel Owens on 17:50 - Nov 13 with 2612 viewsDewi1jack

Nigel Owens on 17:11 - Nov 13 by latchford

Just a few lines from the BBC link earlier.

"Before alerting the RFU, supporter Keith Wilson wrote a letter to the Guardian newspaper stating a group of supporters shouted "nasty, foul-mouthed, racist, homophobic abuse" at the official during England's 24-21 defeat"

"I think whatever has been shouted must have been pretty bad - enough for this person to make this effort and stand up to these people, which he needs to commended for, and send a letter in saying he's never heard anything like it," Owens said.

Yes, writing a letter to the Guardian a few days after the event is really going to stop it from happening.
Why didn't this supporter report the abuse at the time, to the Police or a steward?
I really don't see that the "supporter" writing a letter of complaint has stood up to whatever was said.
Many so called supporters at a football match have been reported, ejected and banned, because others have had the nuts to make a complaint at the time. This has really helped clean up the grounds from the 80's and 90's, making the grounds better to take the family, for all races/ religions/ sexual persuasions to be able to attend/ play the game.
Yes it still happens in football, both in the UK and World wide.
But football clubs (certainly in the UK at least) are at least trying.
Yet, as Latch states, Rugby is just being sanctimonious about it's problems, in trying to claim both the game and its supporters, are better than the proper shaped ball equivalent.
Needs to clean its act up both on and off the pitch

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Nigel Owens on 17:51 - Nov 13 with 2605 viewslondonlisa2001

doesn't Mike Phillips come from west of Loughor Bridge ;-)
Nigel Owens on 18:13 - Nov 13 with 2559 viewsacejack3065

I've met him twice and he was fine actually. He seemed quite modest and didn't give it the big-I-am at all. One of the best refs in the world as well.
Nigel Owens on 18:59 - Nov 13 with 2450 viewsItchySphincter

Nigel Owens on 17:51 - Nov 13 by londonlisa2001

doesn't Mike Phillips come from west of Loughor Bridge ;-)

Aye, you're not wrong Lis, you're not wrong.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Nigel Owens on 19:01 - Nov 13 with 2467 viewsRancid

Whitland boy is Phillips.He played for them anyway.Horrible bloke either way.I quite like Owens without ever meeting him, of course.Excellent ref but and it's a small but, he seems to be becoming a bit of a celebrity ref, if you know what I mean.
Nigel Owens on 19:12 - Nov 13 with 2443 viewsmbl1966

I don't post on here much (having embarrassed myself with an attempt at writing a song for Bony that I can now see as pathetic). I would probably be referred too as a 'plastic' by many of you as I have never been to the Liberty Stadium. I have lived about 180 miles from Swansea for nearly 30 yrs but have always, always loved my city it's people and it's football and rugby history. I stood (all be it propped up on crutches due to having knackered knees) on the North Bank at the Vetch when Leighton James demolished Derby County (and many games before and after that). My uncle captained the Allwhites and my family organised a boys football team called Treboeth United which grew a talented individual called Dean Saunders.

I played rugby for many years, after discovering it at Gwyrhosydd Junior school. I have only seen poor behaviour in a rugby crowd once (Morriston v Bonymaen). The abuse Nigel Owens is reported to have suffered is abhorrent and must be addressed to stop rugby events becoming anything like football. I once attended a Rugby League event at the Vetch and witnessed the mid-point in behaviour hovering somewhere between that of football and Rugby Union.

While on here I would like to make my opinion known (having played both games and supported both). Football has the ability to be a 'beautiful game' but is sadly played, to a large extent, by overpaid tossers who do everything to be unsporting. They are backed by one-eyed idiots like Arsy Wenger. Rugby Union is a sport made up of attempts to cheat, whether it be stamping or punching the opposition, but this is accepted as part of the game and getting caught is something you take on the chin - you know, like a man. Rules-wise the difference is just as stark with football being akin to snakes and ladders and rugby being more like chess with gum shields.

So, to answer many previous posts, Rugby Union is a better sport. This doesn't stop me loving the Swans.

Finally, Darran, your smirky, low level homophobia is generally offensive to proper men who 'live and let live'. A once colleague of mine would have summed you up beautifully - "he protesteth too much". I think you might need to 'readjust your lifestyle kid.

Top Mark

Nigel Owens on 19:22 - Nov 13 with 2409 viewsdgt73

He loves being the centre of attention and when he's on TV, i turn the channel over.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Nigel Owens on 19:51 - Nov 13 with 2364 viewssully49

Nigel Owens on 17:45 - Nov 13 by Spokenword

For you to assume that is wrong. Nigel Owens is actually a decent guy, from my dealings with him anyway. He is also a top class ref and respected worldwide as so.

Best referee in the world IMHO

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Nigel Owens on 21:14 - Nov 13 with 2257 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Nigel Owens on 19:12 - Nov 13 by mbl1966

I don't post on here much (having embarrassed myself with an attempt at writing a song for Bony that I can now see as pathetic). I would probably be referred too as a 'plastic' by many of you as I have never been to the Liberty Stadium. I have lived about 180 miles from Swansea for nearly 30 yrs but have always, always loved my city it's people and it's football and rugby history. I stood (all be it propped up on crutches due to having knackered knees) on the North Bank at the Vetch when Leighton James demolished Derby County (and many games before and after that). My uncle captained the Allwhites and my family organised a boys football team called Treboeth United which grew a talented individual called Dean Saunders.

I played rugby for many years, after discovering it at Gwyrhosydd Junior school. I have only seen poor behaviour in a rugby crowd once (Morriston v Bonymaen). The abuse Nigel Owens is reported to have suffered is abhorrent and must be addressed to stop rugby events becoming anything like football. I once attended a Rugby League event at the Vetch and witnessed the mid-point in behaviour hovering somewhere between that of football and Rugby Union.

While on here I would like to make my opinion known (having played both games and supported both). Football has the ability to be a 'beautiful game' but is sadly played, to a large extent, by overpaid tossers who do everything to be unsporting. They are backed by one-eyed idiots like Arsy Wenger. Rugby Union is a sport made up of attempts to cheat, whether it be stamping or punching the opposition, but this is accepted as part of the game and getting caught is something you take on the chin - you know, like a man. Rules-wise the difference is just as stark with football being akin to snakes and ladders and rugby being more like chess with gum shields.

So, to answer many previous posts, Rugby Union is a better sport. This doesn't stop me loving the Swans.

Finally, Darran, your smirky, low level homophobia is generally offensive to proper men who 'live and let live'. A once colleague of mine would have summed you up beautifully - "he protesteth too much". I think you might need to 'readjust your lifestyle kid.

That's told him. At last

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Nigel Owens on 21:20 - Nov 13 with 2240 viewsC_jack

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/104569/rugby-ref-nigel-o

Nice title, Darran.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2014 21:21]

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024