Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic 12:17 - Jan 4 with 52127 viewsexiledclaseboy

Apparently. Cue a few days of outraged reaction until Oldham change their mind.

Poll: Tory leader

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:10 - Jan 4 with 2157 viewsDarran

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:08 - Jan 4 by latchford

The case was proved beyond all reasonable doubt. Jurors decided who listened to the case in its entirety decided the Crown proved its case.

If I was found guilty of rape I certainly wouldn't be able to continue in my profession anymore. My professional body would disqualify me. Footballers however, aren't 'qualified' formally to do what they do so as long as he's backed by the PFA, I think it's he will eventually play again.

He still believes he's innocent so I don't blame him for not apologising. If he did that would certainly sink the review he has going on

He could have apologised for what went on on the nght without apologising for rape,he doesn't seem to have been advised very well if you ask me.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:11 - Jan 4 with 2149 viewsexiledclaseboy

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 15:56 - Jan 4 by Shaky

So you are one of those who believe a sentence is not just for the err sentence, but for life.

How very liberal of you.

Talk about seeing what you think you've read as opposed to what you actually read. There are a couple of things you've got wrong there. Firstly, Ched Evans is still serving his sentence, he's out on licence. Secondly, what I found depressing about those threads was the general misogyny and blaming of the victim that permeates pretty much every thread on here about sexual crimes against women. Thirdly, I strongly believe in rehabilitation and giving criminals the chance to rebuild their lives once they've done their time. I've had many a debate about that on here, often with people who snort derisively about rehabilitation most of the time yet suddenly find themselves all in favour of it in Ched Evans's case. But I digress.

He's not the first criminal to come back to the professional game and I've no doubt he won't be the last. That said, I wouldn't particularly want him at the club I support and I completely understand the stance of those, especially women, who have protested at his potential involvement with Sheffield United and some other clubs that they are linked to in some way.

So to sum up, what I find really distasteful about the Evans case is the speed in which many people have rushed to blame and condemn the victim of this crime and to defend the perpetrator.

Whether you agree with any of that, I'm really not bothered.

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:12 - Jan 4 with 2147 viewslatchford

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:10 - Jan 4 by Darran

He could have apologised for what went on on the nght without apologising for rape,he doesn't seem to have been advised very well if you ask me.

Yeah that's prob right
Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:15 - Jan 4 with 2128 viewsdgt73

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:10 - Jan 4 by Darran

No he couldn't have and I'd guarantee his legal advisor ( barrister ) would instruct him not to say a word, especially the word SORRY.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:18 - Jan 4 with 2113 viewsJackfath

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:15 - Jan 4 by dgt73

No he couldn't have and I'd guarantee his legal advisor ( barrister ) would instruct him not to say a word, especially the word SORRY.

You know a great deal about barristers.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:21 - Jan 4 with 2108 viewsdgt73

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:18 - Jan 4 by Jackfath

You know a great deal about barristers.

As it happens I'm sitting in a room with one and she told me even tho she doesn't know the case it would be extremely unwise to use the sorry word.

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:26 - Jan 4 with 2080 viewsDarran

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:15 - Jan 4 by dgt73

Rubbish.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:29 - Jan 4 with 2070 viewsParlay

Ched Evans should absolutely be able to play again. I think its ludicrous to suggest otherwise and a very dangerous path to tread.

People can lo longer work after prison? Rubbish.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Login to get fewer ads

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:34 - Jan 4 with 2065 viewsShaky

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:11 - Jan 4 by exiledclaseboy

Talk about seeing what you think you've read as opposed to what you actually read. There are a couple of things you've got wrong there. Firstly, Ched Evans is still serving his sentence, he's out on licence. Secondly, what I found depressing about those threads was the general misogyny and blaming of the victim that permeates pretty much every thread on here about sexual crimes against women. Thirdly, I strongly believe in rehabilitation and giving criminals the chance to rebuild their lives once they've done their time. I've had many a debate about that on here, often with people who snort derisively about rehabilitation most of the time yet suddenly find themselves all in favour of it in Ched Evans's case. But I digress.

He's not the first criminal to come back to the professional game and I've no doubt he won't be the last. That said, I wouldn't particularly want him at the club I support and I completely understand the stance of those, especially women, who have protested at his potential involvement with Sheffield United and some other clubs that they are linked to in some way.

So to sum up, what I find really distasteful about the Evans case is the speed in which many people have rushed to blame and condemn the victim of this crime and to defend the perpetrator.

Whether you agree with any of that, I'm really not bothered.

Either you believe in the criminal justice system or you don't. To start arguing the toss between a full sentence and early release on probation is semantic bullshit.

The discussion regarding rehabilitation is considerably more interesting. Suffice to say I believe in the concept but not the practice. In fact I strongly believe the typical British prison environment is much more conducive to institutionalising people into a life of crime.

FWIW, I can tell you that this is also broadly the view of Sir Bill (William) Utting, who you may know was the senior civil servant in the Home Office responsible for the prison service for many years. He used to be in despair.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:36 - Jan 4 with 2061 viewsShaky

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:00 - Jan 4 by lifelong

Yes, but the conviction hasn't been overturned, and there is no such thing as a mild case of rape.
Your Honour.

Nonsense.

Rape is a serious crime, but there is obviously a spectrum of seriousness.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:36 - Jan 4 with 2061 viewsswancity

Let the man get on with his life and if that involves kicking a football around a pitch to earn a living then so be it. it's really that simple. Or at least it should be.

He was found guilty. He was punished now move on. He will have to live with it for the rest of his life which is punishment enough.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:39 - Jan 4 with 2050 viewsexiledclaseboy

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:34 - Jan 4 by Shaky

Either you believe in the criminal justice system or you don't. To start arguing the toss between a full sentence and early release on probation is semantic bullshit.

The discussion regarding rehabilitation is considerably more interesting. Suffice to say I believe in the concept but not the practice. In fact I strongly believe the typical British prison environment is much more conducive to institutionalising people into a life of crime.

FWIW, I can tell you that this is also broadly the view of Sir Bill (William) Utting, who you may know was the senior civil servant in the Home Office responsible for the prison service for many years. He used to be in despair.

There's not much in there that I disagree with. I was just pointing out that Evans is still serving his sentence as being out on licence with restrictions is very much a part of the justice system. But it's not an important point in this context just a reaction to your extrapolation of my views on the case from something that I didn't actually say.

I agree totally with you (and, apparently, Sir Bill) on what you wrote around British prisons. I've said often that if prisons worked as they should (rehabilitation and punishment) we'd be closing them not clamouring to build more. We should be sending far, far fewer people to prison.

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:42 - Jan 4 with 2036 viewsJackSomething

So the support for Ched on this thread so far consists of:

Shaky
Parlay
Dgt73
Nigel nitts

Take from that what you will.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:51 - Jan 4 with 2014 viewsdgt73

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:42 - Jan 4 by JackSomething

Shaky
Parlay
Dgt73
Nigel nitts

How have you arrived at that conclusion . You are completely wrong.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2015 17:51]

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:51 - Jan 4 with 2012 viewsswancity

I appreciate the differing views, it's a difficult one. But I do support his situation in terms of being able to return to his work again that's for sure.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:53 - Jan 4 with 1765 viewsjackonicko

Shaky
Parlay
Dgt73
Nigel nitts

Perhaps we could have a poll. We don't use that functionality nearly enough on here.
Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:54 - Jan 4 with 1760 viewsQuakerJack

Let him play again. The abuse and taunting he'll receive he'll soon wish he hadn't bothered.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:56 - Jan 4 with 1750 viewsJackhero

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:29 - Jan 4 by Parlay

Ched Evans should absolutely be able to play again. I think its ludicrous to suggest otherwise and a very dangerous path to tread.

People can lo longer work after prison? Rubbish.

I don't think anyone has actually said he can no longer work again. Just stating that it should not be in football, which is very public and generally well paid.

As someone mentioned some professions would not allow certain convicted criminals back into those professions based on their crime.

Talk about generalising and stoking a fire. Let him get other work.

Tubbs: Will heaven be like Swansea? Edward: Yes, Tubbs. Only... bigger.

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 18:00 - Jan 4 with 1744 viewslifelong

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:36 - Jan 4 by Shaky

Nonsense.

Rape is a serious crime, but there is obviously a spectrum of seriousness.

I haven't suggested there isn't, but for you to suggest that any case of rape is mild is simply ludicrous.
Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 18:02 - Jan 4 with 1732 viewsblaine_scfc

Aren't they fast tracking his appeal? I'm pretty sure I know which way it's going to go.
Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 18:06 - Jan 4 with 1712 viewsParlay

Shaky
Parlay
Dgt73
Nigel nitts

I haven't supported Ched Evans, i don't know him.

Ive supported the widely accepted concept, and of course the common sense concept, that you should be able to work after prison...

Forum celebrity

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 18:10 - Jan 4 with 1702 viewsParlay

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 17:56 - Jan 4 by Jackhero

I don't think anyone has actually said he can no longer work again. Just stating that it should not be in football, which is very public and generally well paid.

As someone mentioned some professions would not allow certain convicted criminals back into those professions based on their crime.

Talk about generalising and stoking a fire. Let him get other work.

So he is ok to get work, just not in the profession he is skilled in?

I have never in all my days heard that people are allowed to only work in low paid jobs after prison.

Sorry but i no way condone that at all. It smacks of jealousy.

Forum celebrity

Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 18:28 - Jan 4 with 1668 viewsjackrabbit

There was a massive thread debating his guilt/innocence a few months ago. It eventually disappeared up its own arse, so not wanting to retrieve or revive it, I just want to say that this is not an open/shut, he's guilty innit, clear cut, no-more-to-be-said type of case. His verdict was as dodgy as a Rolex watch for sale on a Thai beach. If ever there was an unsafe verdict, this was it. I just hope that there is a fair and open review of the case to go with his appeal and that it is rescinded. Meanwhile let him practice his trade ffs without the lynch mob in attendance.
Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 19:34 - Jan 4 with 1572 viewscontroversial_jack

If his verdict is overturned, will he then be exonerated by the public and allowed to continue what passes for a career?
Ched Evans to Oldham Athletic on 20:17 - Jan 4 with 1528 viewsNOTRAC

The jury decided that she was not drunk enough not to be capable of choosing to have sex withClayton McDonald but that she was drunk enough not to be capable of choosing to have sex with Evans.
How they could determine that has to be a mystery as she herself said that she couldn't remember agreeing to have sex with either of them.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024