Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just over a week to go until the General Election 14:31 - Apr 29 with 12764 viewsCopperJack

Wondering how people on here feel about a Labour government propped up by the SNP?

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Just over a week to go until the General Election on 14:53 - May 5 with 1054 viewslondonlisa2001

Just over a week to go until the General Election on 14:40 - May 5 by monmouth

I was surprised by that. I always bracketed Cardiff with Bristol, Warwick, Bath, Leeds as Russell Group elites....in the next rank after Oxbridge and Durham, with Swansea not far behind. Bristol Bath and Leeds are not in the top 10 now either, with Exeter above them. Things are clearly changing, but I do wonder what the weightings are in the assessment criteria (there are three London sites in the top ten I think?) as certainly the four I am very familiar with (Leeds, Bristol, Bath, Cardiff) still have excellent reputations in academic circles.

the rankings vary between the different ones that are published, but all are fairly uniform.

The reality is that universities will differ of course by subject - Swansea is particularly renowned for all things marine biology linked etc, and don't necessarily mean too much, but the point I am making is that if a bright Welsh kid gets a place in Caltech for example (ranked as the best in the world at the moment), it seems to me to be utterly absurd that the proposal is that they won't receive the same funding as a kid going to Glyndwr university (ranked well outside the top 100 universities in the UK even) or the University of SouthWales (similarly ranked).

It's typical of the parochialism that you were referring to earlier, and will do nothing for the future economic prospects of the nation. It' s like saying that you don't want an attractive partner because they are more likely to run off with someone else.
Just over a week to go until the General Election on 14:59 - May 5 with 1041 viewslondonlisa2001

Just over a week to go until the General Election on 14:51 - May 5 by Lohengrin

The educational aim of any Welsh administration worthy of the name is surely to help the young scholars of Wales reach their maximum individual potential? To that end if funding is available it's a nonsense to place narrow, ideologically driven limits as to its distribution? Fair and sensible policy should encompass backing talented youngsters to the hilt; give encouragement for the very best to aim for Jesus College, Oxford while extending the same helping hand to the Leanne Woods' of this world at Treforest Poly.

The real wealth of a nation resides in the potential of her people to transcend circumstance of birth, not wallow in it.

I agree.

And you only have to look at someone like Terry Matthews to see that someone Welsh moving away for most of their adult life doesn't mean that they won't end up benefitting the Welsh economy at some point. In his case, of course, he did study at Swansea University, but he moved to Canada as a very young man and yet has pumped huge amounts in later life into Wales (including, hopefully with his new position as Chair of Swansea Bay).
Just over a week to go until the General Election on 15:04 - May 5 with 1033 viewsmonmouth

Just over a week to go until the General Election on 14:53 - May 5 by londonlisa2001

the rankings vary between the different ones that are published, but all are fairly uniform.

The reality is that universities will differ of course by subject - Swansea is particularly renowned for all things marine biology linked etc, and don't necessarily mean too much, but the point I am making is that if a bright Welsh kid gets a place in Caltech for example (ranked as the best in the world at the moment), it seems to me to be utterly absurd that the proposal is that they won't receive the same funding as a kid going to Glyndwr university (ranked well outside the top 100 universities in the UK even) or the University of SouthWales (similarly ranked).

It's typical of the parochialism that you were referring to earlier, and will do nothing for the future economic prospects of the nation. It' s like saying that you don't want an attractive partner because they are more likely to run off with someone else.

Oh aye, I agree. I think part of the richness of university experience is a wholly different location. It opened my eyes. I was just musing at the rankings and realising I was still probably living in the mid eighties!

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Just over a week to go until the General Election on 15:16 - May 5 with 1019 viewsexiledclaseboy

Just over a week to go until the General Election on 10:40 - May 5 by monmouth

Torn on this one. I know you can't really generalise and stereotype but I'm going to.

Almost all of the people I've worked with (and even friends and family) who have stayed in Wales and experience nothing else are very insular, defeatist and villagist. No, actually all of them are. Based on that personal experience, I think that the investment, leadership and industry has to come from elsewhere or from ex-pats sadly (which may be your point). If I had university age children I would be encouraging them to experience a different culture...outside uk probably...particularly if they went to university in wales too. Then, unlike in your case, I doubt if many would want to come back. So the key is to actually make it attractive to be here (for any nationality) and....

..... the opportunities in Wales are very limited. Even when I graduated in 1980, there wasn't a single job available in my field (thanks Maggot T). So, pretty much stuffed unless you wanted public sector or DVLA, and who with any ambition or talent would want that, unless you come from Clase obviously ;).

So I simply had to f*ck off to England and Scotland, and to be honest I'm glad I did. Also glad to be back now, as I love this flawed country, but I still see the same malaise. No investment, limited opportunity, villagism, blame others (English particularly), let charlatan Taffia and ego driven placemen take power and accept it with grateful cap doffing. It's enough to make anyone take drugs and turn to crime.

See, I said I was going to generalise. Apologies for any offence, obviously not all are like that, not even from Clase.

Stop talking about me mun

Poll: Tory leader

Just over a week to go until the General Election on 15:23 - May 5 with 1012 viewsLohengrin

Just over a week to go until the General Election on 15:16 - May 5 by exiledclaseboy

Stop talking about me mun

A knock at the door from Interflora comes next......

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Just over a week to go until the General Election on 07:46 - May 6 with 949 viewsyescomeon

I take your points on board but I still do not agree and I do not think it is a matter of having less ambition. Students who want to study in Oxford of Caltech will do so, I just don't think WAG money should be spent on it, particularly not for sending students to the States (paying tuition fees of tens of thousands of dollars a year).

The Terry Matthews example you gave backs my point not yours. He studied at a Welsh university and Wales has benefited from it.

Now I haven't got figure to back it up but I would imagine some kind of social science study has been done. On graduating University ex-students are more likely to hang around in the city they studied in. For me I don't think WAG money should be sent outside of Wales. It should stay in Wales and help the Welsh economy.

Upthecity!

Just over a week to go until the General Election on 13:43 - May 6 with 897 viewslondonlisa2001

Just over a week to go until the General Election on 07:46 - May 6 by yescomeon

I take your points on board but I still do not agree and I do not think it is a matter of having less ambition. Students who want to study in Oxford of Caltech will do so, I just don't think WAG money should be spent on it, particularly not for sending students to the States (paying tuition fees of tens of thousands of dollars a year).

The Terry Matthews example you gave backs my point not yours. He studied at a Welsh university and Wales has benefited from it.

Now I haven't got figure to back it up but I would imagine some kind of social science study has been done. On graduating University ex-students are more likely to hang around in the city they studied in. For me I don't think WAG money should be sent outside of Wales. It should stay in Wales and help the Welsh economy.

Matthews left the country for decades, but ended up making a contribution back. I don't see how that supports an argument that studying in Welsh universities means you'll stay in Wales because transparently he didn't.

And if Wales did what you suggest, it would mean that less well off kids would be forced to go to worse universities than kids from well off backgrounds which isn't very fair.

The Welsh economy will be helped by having the best possible education for the young people of Wales. That doesn't involve restricting them to second tier educational establishments.
Just over a week to go until the General Election on 17:22 - May 6 with 875 viewsyescomeon

Just over a week to go until the General Election on 13:43 - May 6 by londonlisa2001

Matthews left the country for decades, but ended up making a contribution back. I don't see how that supports an argument that studying in Welsh universities means you'll stay in Wales because transparently he didn't.

And if Wales did what you suggest, it would mean that less well off kids would be forced to go to worse universities than kids from well off backgrounds which isn't very fair.

The Welsh economy will be helped by having the best possible education for the young people of Wales. That doesn't involve restricting them to second tier educational establishments.

If they wanted to go to Oxbridge they would go, there are scholarships for them, student loans. They are at no more of a disadvantage than kids from anywhere else in the world. However, if WAG was to start paying for Welsh kids to study in English universities that is money allocated to Wales being sent straight back across the border. I understand what you are saying about getting a better education and how that could be good for the economy but students that have left to study in England will be less likely to come back to Wales.

Upthecity!

Login to get fewer ads

Just over a week to go until the General Election on 17:31 - May 6 with 869 viewsCopperJack

For anyone interested in the economics side of the argument (election not universities) this summarises most of the salient points. Worth a read -

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21650113-despite-risk-europe-coalition-led

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Just over a week to go until the General Election on 18:05 - May 6 with 841 viewsyescomeon

Just over a week to go until the General Election on 17:31 - May 6 by CopperJack

For anyone interested in the economics side of the argument (election not universities) this summarises most of the salient points. Worth a read -

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21650113-despite-risk-europe-coalition-led

Interesting read, I voted last week but it wouldn't change my vote based on that (which was not for the Tories). I'm sure there are as many economists who disagree with the tactics of the Tories as agree.

Upthecity!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024