Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Gilmour/Roger Waters 13:51 - Oct 5 with 4137 viewsDaiTheDrop

Just had a look at the water on Mars thread and noticed how that went off topic quickly and moved onto Floyd. So I thought I would start a Floyd one.

I must admit I love Waters/Gilmour era Floyd. And in my opinion Gilmour has played two or three of the all time greatest guitar solos. However, I really can't get into his solo album stuff. Whereas with Waters I like his solo work. Couldn't be bothered to go and see Gilmour solo tour but seen Waters quite a few times. Not a fan of early Barrett era Floyd either, a bit to whimsical for me on the whole. And not a lover of post Waters Floyd but some decent stuff here and there.
As someone mentioned on the 'Mars' thread they can come over a bit pretentious but the 70's were a great time for them with four classic albums.

Interested to see what others think on Gilmour/Waters.
David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 13:56 - Oct 5 with 4134 viewsJack_Meoff

I'll take a stab at the solos. Comfortably Numb and Shine on (start)? What's your third by the way?

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 14:03 - Oct 5 with 4128 viewsDaiTheDrop

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 13:56 - Oct 5 by Jack_Meoff

I'll take a stab at the solos. Comfortably Numb and Shine on (start)? What's your third by the way?

Time.
David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 15:23 - Oct 5 with 4086 viewsblueytheblue

Gilmour is a very talented and underrated guitarist.

Waters a perfectionist who was, to be blunt, an utter cock to other members of the band. To me some of his stuff is pretentious navel gazing; The Wall was a great piece of music to be sure but the driver behind it was purely Waters feelings about the music, performing, fame and stuff which on one level was self-indulgent.

The band was the four of them, not Waters alone. Think he needed a proctologist at one point to extract his head.

There was some good stuff post Waters, the problem was people just expected the same old Floyd stuff. Three different eras, all produced good things.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 15:25 - Oct 5 with 4083 viewslondonlisa2001

Best thing Dave Gilmour did was discover Kate Bush of course!
David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 16:02 - Oct 5 with 4064 viewsDaiTheDrop

Hey bluey appreciate the views given. Not sure Gilmour is underrated as I think he gets a fair deal of appreciation from most parts.
I do agree that Floyd is or was more than just Gilmour/Waters. I just missed the diversity that for me epitomised the 70's Floyd that the post Waters era just couldn't match. Waters can be a bit hard to take on times but on the whole I have enjoyed his solo albums. Gilmour on the other hand is fairly bland solo.
One thing for certain the classic 70's Floyd were the one I enjoyed most.
David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 16:43 - Oct 5 with 4043 viewsDr_Winston

Waters's lyrics added to Gilmour's tunes plus added friction with everyone involved was the key to great Floyd.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 16:58 - Oct 5 with 4037 viewsBatterseajack

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 16:43 - Oct 5 by Dr_Winston

Waters's lyrics added to Gilmour's tunes plus added friction with everyone involved was the key to great Floyd.

I was lucky enough to see the pair perform comfortably numb during the wall tour in wembley a couple of years ago. So great it was, i could barely gauge what was actually happening in front of me.
David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 17:47 - Oct 5 with 4022 viewsDaiTheDrop

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 16:58 - Oct 5 by Batterseajack

I was lucky enough to see the pair perform comfortably numb during the wall tour in wembley a couple of years ago. So great it was, i could barely gauge what was actually happening in front of me.

I think you mean the O2?? Was there too.
Was the night we played Forest away in play off. Enjoyed the gig but couldn't wait to find out result!!
Login to get fewer ads

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 18:38 - Oct 5 with 4001 viewsGowerjack

Pink Floyd lumbered on for many years past their best which was the stetch between Meddle & The Final Cut.

A Waters less Floyd was a flacid bland thing,the best material they produced was as a result of the bitterness of Waters lyrics set against the lyricism of Gilmour's guitar.

Waters is a grade one knobhead whilst Gilmour always comes across as a nice guy however.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 19:16 - Oct 5 with 3970 viewsDaiTheDrop

I think the friction between Gilmour and Waters did help create some great music and without doubt Waters was a complete tool towards the end. His attempts at reconciliation years later was met with complete disdain by Gilmour, and you couldn't blame him for that. It was only Mason who tried but failed at rebuilding the bridges between the two. Both of the main players moved on and seem satisfied with where they are now.
David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 19:28 - Oct 5 with 3959 viewsDarran

They played together at one of those Live Aid anniversary thingys didn't they?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 19:41 - Oct 5 with 3953 viewsDr_Winston

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 19:28 - Oct 5 by Darran

They played together at one of those Live Aid anniversary thingys didn't they?

The same gig where Paul "nice guy" McCartney insisted on top billing when the obvious big story was this.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 19:41 - Oct 5 with 3951 viewsDarran

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 19:41 - Oct 5 by Dr_Winston

The same gig where Paul "nice guy" McCartney insisted on top billing when the obvious big story was this.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Thank you.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 20:09 - Oct 5 with 3931 viewsRancid

Waters was Pink Floyd, more so than Barrett in my opinion, even though there'd be no Floyd without Syd.Gilmour came along later and was integral in their best years mid/late 70's and 80's.But once Waters and Gilmour clashed and Nick Mason and Rick Wright sided with Gilmour it was the end.Waters does an hour long live radio broadcast with Howard Stern on YouTube and says how he played to 3000 people in an arena in Cincinatti whilst Gilmour and the others sold out the football stadium next door singing all the songs he'd written for Floyd.He seemed very bitter still all these years on.

Even at the Live8 gig they were turning Geldof down left right and centre before Sir Bob intervened and brought Waters and Gilmour together before they reluctantly decided to play again once more.Gilmour really dislikes Waters yet without him Floyd were never the same.I did quite like their first album without Waters though 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason'.After that they died a death.2 very stubborn individuals depriving their fans and new fans of hearing one of the best acts ever to play again.
David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 20:20 - Oct 5 with 3914 viewsDr_Winston

There used to be a lot of bad blood between Gilmour and Waters but they've both relaxed in recent years. Waters especially.

They've both popped up in each others solo tours so they're at least on civil terms, even if they'll never be bosom buddies or tour again.

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 20:40 - Oct 5 with 3898 viewsRancid

The Final Cut was always my favourite Floyd album.Most PF fans I speak to or read, class it as one of their least favourites and see it as Waters over-indulging, which is fair to be honest given that it's almost a solo album.Yet the best track on the record for me is 'Not now John' written and sung by Gilmour and the only track on the album which isn't by Waters.Gilmour at his best vocally and the welcomed diversion from the usual melancholy Waters.

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 20:51 - Oct 5 with 3885 viewsblueytheblue

The bad blood was over the way Mason and especially Wright was treated.

Seems Waters wanted to dominate and control the band.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 21:00 - Oct 5 with 3874 viewsRancid

Fearless- Meddle.Gilmour brilliant again.

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 21:03 - Oct 5 with 3866 viewsGowerjack

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 20:40 - Oct 5 by Rancid

The Final Cut was always my favourite Floyd album.Most PF fans I speak to or read, class it as one of their least favourites and see it as Waters over-indulging, which is fair to be honest given that it's almost a solo album.Yet the best track on the record for me is 'Not now John' written and sung by Gilmour and the only track on the album which isn't by Waters.Gilmour at his best vocally and the welcomed diversion from the usual melancholy Waters.

Agreed

A great album

Although not a great Pink Floyd album

Plastic since 1974

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 21:20 - Oct 5 with 3845 viewsDaiTheDrop

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 21:03 - Oct 5 by Gowerjack

Agreed

A great album

Although not a great Pink Floyd album

Fletcher memorial home has to be one of the greatest Floyd (Waters) songs. Love that track.
"Anonymous Latin American meat packing glitterati" possibly my favourite line in any song !
David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 22:03 - Oct 5 with 3810 viewsGowerjack

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 21:20 - Oct 5 by DaiTheDrop

Fletcher memorial home has to be one of the greatest Floyd (Waters) songs. Love that track.
"Anonymous Latin American meat packing glitterati" possibly my favourite line in any song !

" Who's the Belgian."

A joke

In the middle of that song....

Plastic since 1974

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 08:25 - Oct 6 with 3719 viewsItchySphincter

Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett sounded like Blur. A lot of it was nursery rhyme style crap. Two completely different beasts.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

David Gilmour/Roger Waters on 08:49 - Oct 6 with 3711 viewsdantheswansman

Who cares if Waters was self-indulgent , Lyrically he was and still is a million miles ahead of any of the Floyd.

Gilmour trots out the same rubbish every time on his solo stuff. Don`t think he has a single piece of originality in his entire body.

It`s almost like i know what is coming before it has even been released , and his lyrics are either about some kind of "night" or a candle or moon making "light" ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

Great guitarist but not a very good songwriter in my personal opinion.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024