Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why don't we play Ayew up front? 13:50 - Nov 23 with 4017 viewsmichumagic9

His scoring goals and his always in that position when scoring goals so why not play him there. Certainly a better option then Gomis or Eder atm.

I would like to see this line up and see how the experiment goes...

Fabs, Naughton, Fede, Williams, Taylor, Ki, Shelvey, Siggy, Routledge, Ayew, Montero
Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 13:58 - Nov 23 with 3034 viewsjacabertawe

..........is a very reasonable question.

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 14:01 - Nov 23 with 3025 viewsjack247

He gets his goals by drifting into striking positions off the back of the centre forward. He just wouldn't be able to do that if he was up there on his own being double marked.

I don't rate Gomis that highly, but he is the best option we have at the moment.
Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 14:06 - Nov 23 with 3009 viewsLeonisGod

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 14:01 - Nov 23 by jack247

He gets his goals by drifting into striking positions off the back of the centre forward. He just wouldn't be able to do that if he was up there on his own being double marked.

I don't rate Gomis that highly, but he is the best option we have at the moment.

Depends how we play. With the long balls to the CF these days, then I'd agree we need Bafe's strength. If we went back to being a bit more tikki takka then Ayew upfront might work. But I can't see that happening any time soon.
Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 14:13 - Nov 23 with 2985 viewsAustinIsOurHero

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 14:06 - Nov 23 by LeonisGod

Depends how we play. With the long balls to the CF these days, then I'd agree we need Bafe's strength. If we went back to being a bit more tikki takka then Ayew upfront might work. But I can't see that happening any time soon.

This!

Ayew upfront would encourage a return to what we know best, possession, creating chances & quick, interchanging football...

not hoofing up to a centre forward & hoping it sticks.

Poll: How many points will be get from the next two games?

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 14:30 - Nov 23 with 2962 viewsjack247

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 14:06 - Nov 23 by LeonisGod

Would be great, but it goes deeper than that.

Shelvey and Cork are great players, but both are slower and more methodical that the tiki taka demands. Montero is an old fashioned winger who loves taking his man on. Our old style doesn't really require anyone to take players on, just to play simple balls and move quickly and intelligently to create space and 2 vs 1s.

Our best team for that style of play would probably include Ki, Leon and Siggy in midfield with Routledge and one other on the wings, plus overlapping fullbacks. You saw what happened to Ki and Leon Saturday. I'm just not convinced we have the personnel to play that way anymore. Better than we have been playing certainly, but not the way we used to.
Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 14:38 - Nov 23 with 2943 viewsCooperman

By coincidence I just reeled off the following team proposal to a colleague:
Fabs
Taylor (RB)
Fede
Ash
Tabanou (LB)(after a week on a strict diet)
Cork
Shelvey
Routs
Siggy (AM)
Unbelievable Jeff
Ayew (up top)

Bench:
Keeper
Naughton or Rangel
Amat (certainly not Bartley)
Ki
Grimes
Barrow
Gomis

Give it 3 games and see what happens.
Siggy works well with Montero, most times when he got on the ball on Saturday he had his head up looking for the winger.

I've fancied Taylor & Tabanou as full backs ever since I saw a deterioration in Naughton.

The only other question mark is Shelvey or Ki to start.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 14:44 - Nov 23 with 2923 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 14:30 - Nov 23 by jack247

Would be great, but it goes deeper than that.

Shelvey and Cork are great players, but both are slower and more methodical that the tiki taka demands. Montero is an old fashioned winger who loves taking his man on. Our old style doesn't really require anyone to take players on, just to play simple balls and move quickly and intelligently to create space and 2 vs 1s.

Our best team for that style of play would probably include Ki, Leon and Siggy in midfield with Routledge and one other on the wings, plus overlapping fullbacks. You saw what happened to Ki and Leon Saturday. I'm just not convinced we have the personnel to play that way anymore. Better than we have been playing certainly, but not the way we used to.

Currently Ki is a shadow of the Swansea Supporters’ Player of the Year for 2014/15.
Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 14:55 - Nov 23 with 2901 viewsjasper_T

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 14:44 - Nov 23 by A_Fans_Dad

Currently Ki is a shadow of the Swansea Supporters’ Player of the Year for 2014/15.

I'll give him a pass for Saturday after doing so much travelling and playing twice, but he's hardly been at it in other games this season has he.

Shouldn't have started, especially alongside Leon who needed some physical protection in the middle.
Login to get fewer ads

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 15:07 - Nov 23 with 2871 viewsSkipTheJack

It's a yes from me.

Apart from the fact that he's an excellent player and he's scoring goals, putting Ayew up front would also reduce the problem of him and Sigurdsson getting in each other's way all the time, and it would mean we could play two out-and-out wingers again (like Dyer for instance, .... oh).
[Post edited 23 Nov 2015 15:09]
Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 15:22 - Nov 23 with 2841 viewsAnotherJohn

I'd be in favour of giving this a try, but it would be asking Ayew to do something he's never done before and may not come off. I said on another thread that, looking back at Ayew's past career, he operated as a right winger or support striker for Marseille and FC Lorient, in what I think were 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 formations. He played alongside a number 9, while wearing 8 or 10, and has never been a lone striker or target man. But it is worth a try in a more fluid formation, granted.
Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 16:13 - Nov 23 with 2782 viewsSkipTheJack

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 15:22 - Nov 23 by AnotherJohn

I'd be in favour of giving this a try, but it would be asking Ayew to do something he's never done before and may not come off. I said on another thread that, looking back at Ayew's past career, he operated as a right winger or support striker for Marseille and FC Lorient, in what I think were 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 formations. He played alongside a number 9, while wearing 8 or 10, and has never been a lone striker or target man. But it is worth a try in a more fluid formation, granted.

I agree. There would be no point in us lumping balls up to him like we're doing with Gomis and Eder.

Putting Ayew up front would work well, but only if we returned to passing the ball to feet, and I'm not sure that's going to happen.
Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 16:23 - Nov 23 with 2751 viewsjack247

In that kind of formation, I think he would be pretty good. Surprised we haven't tried him in the floating second striker/winger role Routledge played towards the end of last season.
Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 16:32 - Nov 23 with 2732 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 16:23 - Nov 23 by jack247

In that kind of formation, I think he would be pretty good. Surprised we haven't tried him in the floating second striker/winger role Routledge played towards the end of last season.

Let's face it Ayew is nearer to a "Michu" than winger and we managed without a real stiker while he played for us.
Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 16:45 - Nov 23 with 2703 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Ayew has played most of his career on the left side of midfield which is where we insist on playing Montero. I'm not sure why Montero always plays left because he frequently checks back and crosses with his preferred right foot.Why don't the wide players ever seem to switch sides as they always used to? it gives the opposition full backs a different problem at times during a game.

I think it's well worth trying Jeff on the right and Ayew on the left. Ayew up front? Maybe as a last resort.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 17:56 - Nov 23 with 2618 viewsbuilthjack

I thought Shelvey was suspended for Sunday

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 18:02 - Nov 23 with 2605 viewsbuilthjack

So it has to be

Fab
Naughton. Ash. Federico. Taylor
Routs. Ki. Cork. Gylfi. Jeff.
Ayew

Flat back four, Cork holding, Ki and Gylfi in front of Cork, two wide men, and Ayew up top.

We can get something from Liverpool. With that team. If Garry f@cks the team selection up then God help us.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 18:36 - Nov 23 with 2555 viewsAnotherJohn

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 16:45 - Nov 23 by Joe_bradshaw

Ayew has played most of his career on the left side of midfield which is where we insist on playing Montero. I'm not sure why Montero always plays left because he frequently checks back and crosses with his preferred right foot.Why don't the wide players ever seem to switch sides as they always used to? it gives the opposition full backs a different problem at times during a game.

I think it's well worth trying Jeff on the right and Ayew on the left. Ayew up front? Maybe as a last resort.

Not sure about this, although for accuracy I should have put Ayew down as playing on both wings. He played the whole 2009-10 season on the right wing for AC Arles-Avignon, which is said by Ghanaweb.com and Wiki to be his favourite position. At Marseille he did often play on the left as well as a support striker (had a couple of hat tricks), and admittedly Transfermarkt.com have him down as a left-sided midfielder. I assumed we put him on the right because he does indeed like playing there. In any event the main point I was seeking to make is that he has not been played before as a lone striker.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2015 18:37]
Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 19:10 - Nov 23 with 2502 viewsdameedna

Swap Andre to the left when he can play ahead of Taylor

Naughton and montero can't be much worse than Taylor montero

AYEW is a far better footballer than montero Taylor allowing Taylor to stay deep where he excels

Play Naughton and montero wide right montero to hug and both aim to feed Gomis and Andre

Will allow a midfield of Cork Ki and Siggy to have some space

Not a big change and might give Liverpool 10 minutes of grief which us about all I expect
Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 19:11 - Nov 23 with 2495 viewsJackfath

Play Ayew up front.

If it goes wrong a thread can be started saying how shit the idea of playing Ayew up front is/was.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 19:24 - Nov 23 with 2463 viewsmonmouth

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 16:13 - Nov 23 by SkipTheJack

I agree. There would be no point in us lumping balls up to him like we're doing with Gomis and Eder.

Putting Ayew up front would work well, but only if we returned to passing the ball to feet, and I'm not sure that's going to happen.

That's actually the most depressingly sad nutshell post that I've seen yet, mainly because of its implied hopelessness and underlying yearning.

Not saying it's wrong mind, but I'm still hoping for a damascus moment from all involved.

Just remembered...O'Leary....pass and move expert if you ignore the move. And the pass. Beattie, big target man. GM second division centre back. Clotet? Stats and shape? We just need something different to stamp a strong positive fluid attack minded influence on this. We just do. My mind is made up. Not that that matters two f**ks.

Back to praying that things change to a god I don't believe in then. Champion.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 20:17 - Nov 23 with 2394 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 19:24 - Nov 23 by monmouth

That's actually the most depressingly sad nutshell post that I've seen yet, mainly because of its implied hopelessness and underlying yearning.

Not saying it's wrong mind, but I'm still hoping for a damascus moment from all involved.

Just remembered...O'Leary....pass and move expert if you ignore the move. And the pass. Beattie, big target man. GM second division centre back. Clotet? Stats and shape? We just need something different to stamp a strong positive fluid attack minded influence on this. We just do. My mind is made up. Not that that matters two f**ks.

Back to praying that things change to a god I don't believe in then. Champion.

One thing that you and the OP of your reply forget is that Ayew can get on the end of crosses from Montero and Routledge and get on the end of through balls from JJS & Sygi, which Gomis does not seem capable of doing.
Plus He has already scored 3 this season with his head
Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 20:22 - Nov 23 with 2382 viewsmonmouth

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 20:17 - Nov 23 by A_Fans_Dad

One thing that you and the OP of your reply forget is that Ayew can get on the end of crosses from Montero and Routledge and get on the end of through balls from JJS & Sygi, which Gomis does not seem capable of doing.

What are you on about now, fans dad? Are you a fan or his dad, make your mind up because you're all over the board with your shite, and have been for weeks. Take sonny to the swings or the pictures mun, if he's incapable of posting for himself.

Oh no that's right, you're another tedious alter ego. I hope I like your other identity better.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 20:24 - Nov 23 with 2371 viewsjack247

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 20:17 - Nov 23 by A_Fans_Dad

He gets in the end of crosses and scores with his head because the centre backs are marking Gomis and he is very adept at drifting in. It would be much harder to do that as a lone front man. I can see him being a good support striker, he practically plays like one anyway, but don't see him up front on his own.
Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 21:45 - Nov 23 with 2307 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Really can t see why not play him up top, we re hardly flush with options.
Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 22:00 - Nov 23 with 2281 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Why don't we play Ayew up front? on 20:22 - Nov 23 by monmouth

What are you on about now, fans dad? Are you a fan or his dad, make your mind up because you're all over the board with your shite, and have been for weeks. Take sonny to the swings or the pictures mun, if he's incapable of posting for himself.

Oh no that's right, you're another tedious alter ego. I hope I like your other identity better.

My son is in his 40s.
You have lost the argument when you attack the person and not the argument itself.
I am not over the board any more than you and have the same right to do so, so if you don't like it that is tough.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024