Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greatest War Movies 22:09 - Apr 19 with 13481 viewsLord_Bony

What is your favourite war film?

Heres a few of mine...

Battle of Britain

Saving Private Ryan

Zulu

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Greatest War Movies on 13:46 - Sep 3 with 1848 viewsLord_Bony

A Bridge Too Far

The story of the failed,ill fated allied Arnhem campaign in Holland 1944.

Cracking film heres the full movie.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1rks41_a-bridge-too-far-1977-full-movie_shortf

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Greatest War Movies on 15:16 - Sep 3 with 1813 viewsFlashberryjack

Greatest War Movies on 13:46 - Sep 3 by Lord_Bony

A Bridge Too Far

The story of the failed,ill fated allied Arnhem campaign in Holland 1944.

Cracking film heres the full movie.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1rks41_a-bridge-too-far-1977-full-movie_shortf

Great film.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Greatest War Movies on 16:37 - Sep 3 with 1779 viewsmorningstar

Really looking forward to this one!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Greatest War Movies on 17:21 - Sep 3 with 1761 viewsphact0rri

Greatest War Movies on 16:37 - Sep 3 by morningstar

Really looking forward to this one!

I saw this trailer at the cinemas and I was like "wha?" "no it can't be"... "Okay I wasn't expecting this..." "suppose I'll have to see this"

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Greatest War Movies on 17:30 - Sep 3 with 1755 viewsLord_Bony

Wow cheers for that ...did nt even know about it...a must see for myself. Looks good,about time someone told the story of the Miracle of Dunkirk..over 333,000 soldiers evacuated on the point of being slaughtered by German tanks and Luftwaffe.

Greatest War Movies on 17:51 - Sep 3 with 1715 viewsicecoldjack

Greatest War Movies on 17:30 - Sep 3 by Lord_Bony

Wow cheers for that ...did nt even know about it...a must see for myself. Looks good,about time someone told the story of the Miracle of Dunkirk..over 333,000 soldiers evacuated on the point of being slaughtered by German tanks and Luftwaffe.

Many believe this was an act of compassion by Hitler to coin favour for later talks and possible agreement with churchill ,according to German Historians it was more about a p!ssing contest with Hitler and his generals.

"On 24 May Generals von Kluge and von Rundstedt issued the order for a halt of the German 4th Army. Hitler, as is often overlooked, only sanctioned it the same day. The reasons for this halt were manifold.

Both generals had fought in World War I and realised that, like at the Marne in 1914, a sudden Allied counter-attack could change the course of the whole war. In their eyes this risk still existed, because the British and French still offered resistance in neighbouring areas. At the same time, they wanted to give their armies time to rest, repair and replenish after a thrust whose speed and distance had taken everyone by surprise."

Thankfully this halt gave the time needed for the BEF to get out, it must have been one of the most iffy decisions of the war, one that thankfully saved many thousands of lives.RIP.

Interesting article and reference here.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/dunkirk-75th-anniversary-real-reason-hitler-let-british
Greatest War Movies on 18:44 - Sep 3 with 1690 viewsmorningstar

Greatest War Movies on 17:51 - Sep 3 by icecoldjack

Many believe this was an act of compassion by Hitler to coin favour for later talks and possible agreement with churchill ,according to German Historians it was more about a p!ssing contest with Hitler and his generals.

"On 24 May Generals von Kluge and von Rundstedt issued the order for a halt of the German 4th Army. Hitler, as is often overlooked, only sanctioned it the same day. The reasons for this halt were manifold.

Both generals had fought in World War I and realised that, like at the Marne in 1914, a sudden Allied counter-attack could change the course of the whole war. In their eyes this risk still existed, because the British and French still offered resistance in neighbouring areas. At the same time, they wanted to give their armies time to rest, repair and replenish after a thrust whose speed and distance had taken everyone by surprise."

Thankfully this halt gave the time needed for the BEF to get out, it must have been one of the most iffy decisions of the war, one that thankfully saved many thousands of lives.RIP.

Interesting article and reference here.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/dunkirk-75th-anniversary-real-reason-hitler-let-british

The intention was never to allow the BEF to escape across the channel. As well as resting their own troops, they expected the British to negotiate a surrender as they believed escape was impossible. Once they realised what was going on they did all they could to prevent it, but by that time the RAF had organised itself to give just enough air cover to allow the operation to be a success.
Back to the film, Christoper Nolan is a superb director and from the reviews i've read it certainly looks as if he's done the story justice.

Greatest War Movies on 18:44 - Sep 3 with 1689 viewsskippyjack

No mention of To Hell & Back & Tobruk.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Login to get fewer ads

Greatest War Movies on 18:57 - Sep 3 with 1673 viewsmorningstar

Greatest War Movies on 18:44 - Sep 3 by skippyjack

No mention of To Hell & Back & Tobruk.

To Hell and Back is a great story Skip, Tobruk on the other hand was a classic tale of a failed operation depicted as a success for the big screen.

Greatest War Movies on 13:43 - Sep 4 with 1606 viewsPolskijack

If you get a chance watch this. It's on Exodus (kodi) and just choose the subtitles option. Part of the war that few people know about.

A young group of German POWs are made the enemy of a nation, where they are now forced to dig up 2 million land-mines with their bare hands.

Greatest War Movies on 10:47 - Jan 19 with 1128 viewsLord_Bony

Recently watched..

Platoon

The Thin Red Line

Bridge Over the River Kwai....still a cracking film

Greatest War Movies on 11:07 - Jan 19 with 1114 viewsAustinIsOurHero

One of my favourite parts of the War to learn about is the war in the Pacific, specifically Pearl Harbour.
Would love for someone to do this again, but as a Saving Private Ryan type of film, not a glorified love story. Gritty, realism, & focus on the strategy of the Japanese fleet but with the bright contrasting colours of Hawaii & the Pacific Ocean.

Poll: How many points will be get from the next two games?

Greatest War Movies on 11:26 - Jan 19 with 1103 viewsPegojack

I can't believe no-one's mentioned 'Ice Cold in Alex' yet, which was of course the prequel to the memorable lager advert!
Greatest War Movies on 12:17 - Jan 19 with 1078 viewslifelong

Hacksaw Ridge.
Greatest War Movies on 12:22 - Jan 19 with 1071 viewslifelong

Memorable scene from The Deer Hunter.
Greatest War Movies on 13:15 - Jan 19 with 1055 viewsjackal

Went to see "The Darkest Hour" yesterday.

Great stuff and Gary Oldman is superb.
Greatest War Movies on 13:15 - Jan 19 with 1055 viewssP7qupUf

Greatest War Movies on 14:49 - May 5 by LeJacobin

All Quiet On The Western Front. It's a great book too.

This. The original black and white version is tremendous.

Some of the old ones are the best even if they did not have the benefits of more modern technology. The Man That Never Was , I believe, reflects this well.
Greatest War Movies on 13:58 - Jan 19 with 1039 viewshannahburreh

Jarhead is my favourite

Regards, Hannah
https://www.bizset.com/
[Post edited 19 Jan 2018 14:00]

War... war never changes....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024