Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The real Mumbai 18:14 - Jun 9 with 1153 viewsCooperman

Anyone been? I have some downtime whilst there in the coming weeks but have no idea about venturing out, where to go, and general level of safety. Feedback would be appreciated.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

The real Mumbai on 18:30 - Jun 9 with 1141 viewslondonlisa2001

I have Cooperman!

Loved it there and never felt unsafe even walking around at night to find restaurants and so on.

Some great places to visit - Elephant Island (get a boat near the Gateway of India). Great views of Mumbai while getting there and back and really fascinating when you're there. The Gandhi museum is very good. There is a lovely park up on the hill overlooking Chowpatty Beach (all the ladies doing their power walking around the park in traditional dress while wearing Nikes) - there are lovely views out over the bay. The Taj hotel (next to the Gateway of India) is a lovely place for a cocktail and in front of the hotel you'll see hundreds of locals promenading and driving up and down with their tuktuks and cars covered in lights.
If you get chance, pay a visit to the slums (I'm not joking). You'll need a guide (can get these easily) but it is genuinely uplifting and not at all what you would imagine. The people are the friendliest and proudest that you could meet - we were invited into several of their homes (shacks to be honest) and they are all so proud of them and their hospitality is unbelievable. They have nothing by our standards, but all want to talk to you and practice their English as well. The kids are all playing cricket or football in the scraps of wasteland and all want you to join in and have a laugh with them.

It's worth taking a city tour as well - they go past all the old colonial stuff (the train station is incredible) and the history is really interesting - you'll see all the tiffin delivery people (taking lunch into the men that their wives have prepared for them).

Genuinely really enjoyed being there and jealous you're going ! You'll have a great time.

Edited - I've just checked and the park I'm talking about is called the Hanging Gardens and is on Malabar Drive.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2016 18:39]
The real Mumbai on 18:47 - Jun 9 with 1125 viewsmonmouth

Never been, but I've heard there's a cracking restaurant there called The Derwen Fawr.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The real Mumbai on 18:54 - Jun 9 with 1122 viewslifelong

The real Mumbai on 18:47 - Jun 9 by monmouth

Never been, but I've heard there's a cracking restaurant there called The Derwen Fawr.

And the Cimla Curry House.
The real Mumbai on 19:30 - Jun 9 with 1089 viewsCooperman

The real Mumbai on 18:30 - Jun 9 by londonlisa2001

I have Cooperman!

Loved it there and never felt unsafe even walking around at night to find restaurants and so on.

Some great places to visit - Elephant Island (get a boat near the Gateway of India). Great views of Mumbai while getting there and back and really fascinating when you're there. The Gandhi museum is very good. There is a lovely park up on the hill overlooking Chowpatty Beach (all the ladies doing their power walking around the park in traditional dress while wearing Nikes) - there are lovely views out over the bay. The Taj hotel (next to the Gateway of India) is a lovely place for a cocktail and in front of the hotel you'll see hundreds of locals promenading and driving up and down with their tuktuks and cars covered in lights.
If you get chance, pay a visit to the slums (I'm not joking). You'll need a guide (can get these easily) but it is genuinely uplifting and not at all what you would imagine. The people are the friendliest and proudest that you could meet - we were invited into several of their homes (shacks to be honest) and they are all so proud of them and their hospitality is unbelievable. They have nothing by our standards, but all want to talk to you and practice their English as well. The kids are all playing cricket or football in the scraps of wasteland and all want you to join in and have a laugh with them.

It's worth taking a city tour as well - they go past all the old colonial stuff (the train station is incredible) and the history is really interesting - you'll see all the tiffin delivery people (taking lunch into the men that their wives have prepared for them).

Genuinely really enjoyed being there and jealous you're going ! You'll have a great time.

Edited - I've just checked and the park I'm talking about is called the Hanging Gardens and is on Malabar Drive.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2016 18:39]

Cheers Lisa, very enlightening and useful. Rainy season may well eliminate some of that, we shall see.
Thanks also Monny & Rog :-)

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024