Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leanne Wood 23:04 - Apr 28 with 5907 viewsmarulia

With most of Wales voting to leave the EU, Leanne Wood has done her best to keep us in it and yet if you believe her party rhetoric, she will have you believe that she listens to the people of Wales? And why was she so surprised that people in Wales voted to leave in the first place... clearly another do gooder liberal minded politician with her head up her self, out of touch with real life, best off out of mind!
Leanne Wood on 09:22 - Apr 29 with 1488 viewssherpajacob

Leanne Wood on 09:05 - Apr 29 by Jango

Regurgitating the bitter argument that anyone who voted out want all immigrants out, which is absolutely not the case.

Leanne Wood on 23:32 - Apr 28 by marulia

. If you sent all non uk people back to their countries.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Leanne Wood on 09:30 - Apr 29 with 1474 viewsperchrockjack

And the reason why they won't do those vital NHS jobs is that the State will provide their home and feed and clothe their offspring ,whichever partner they re with at the time.

Benefits go to exactly the wrong people

We should have ,ideally, British born bred nurses and doctors whom we can understand speaking .

It's not easy to say that in public but it's how people feel

We need to get our kids into a learning curve and this means having them wanting to go and learn not posting shyte to chums on mobiles ,watching Jermey Kyle .

We should not rely on foreign staff ,as we do, and we need to ,sadly

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Leanne Wood on 09:30 - Apr 29 with 1474 viewsjohnlangy

Leanne Wood on 08:34 - Apr 29 by sherpajacob

The red areas receive EU money, because they are the most deprived in the EU.

There are none in France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Eire, Belgium or Holland. Yet Europe's 2nd biggest economy has amongst the most deprived areas in Europe.

Wales and Cornwall are red because of successive Westminster policies, not the EU.

We've got rid of the wrong politicians.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2017 8:36]

It's not all doom and gloom sherpa. Pretty soon we'll move ahead of Albania in having a couple of miles of electrified railway.

Time to get the bunting out.
Leanne Wood on 09:51 - Apr 29 with 1452 viewsSPboy

Leanne Wood on 08:34 - Apr 29 by sherpajacob

The red areas receive EU money, because they are the most deprived in the EU.

There are none in France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Eire, Belgium or Holland. Yet Europe's 2nd biggest economy has amongst the most deprived areas in Europe.

Wales and Cornwall are red because of successive Westminster policies, not the EU.

We've got rid of the wrong politicians.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2017 8:36]

That's interesting, nearly the whole of the UK seems to not require EU support. Yet Wales, with a whole government of its own is a basket case ... I guess that means those nasty lot in Westminster must be picking on us
Leanne Wood on 09:56 - Apr 29 with 1445 viewsSPboy

Leanne Wood on 09:30 - Apr 29 by perchrockjack

And the reason why they won't do those vital NHS jobs is that the State will provide their home and feed and clothe their offspring ,whichever partner they re with at the time.

Benefits go to exactly the wrong people

We should have ,ideally, British born bred nurses and doctors whom we can understand speaking .

It's not easy to say that in public but it's how people feel

We need to get our kids into a learning curve and this means having them wanting to go and learn not posting shyte to chums on mobiles ,watching Jermey Kyle .

We should not rely on foreign staff ,as we do, and we need to ,sadly

The shortage of British born doctors in this country has long been a problem. It is not down to shortage of qualified kids wishing to go to University to study medicine. The issue is the limited number of places available to kids schooled in this country.

Universities are being run like businesses and the more overseas students that they can get on their course the more fees they will bring in. Hence, the barriers to entry for our kids are tilted against them in favour of overseas students prepared to pay more
Leanne Wood on 10:07 - Apr 29 with 1432 viewsperchrockjack

Thanks for that very fair and courteous reply and I take your point.

However, my point is we don't have enough young people imbued with the work ethic thst Asian kids have. They see education as a gift not to be sniffed at whereas we have a culture that encourages sloth.

We have some wonderful talent in this country and its often wasted

I do take your point ,however

Leanne Wood on 10:10 - Apr 29 with 1428 viewsJango

Leanne Wood on 09:56 - Apr 29 by SPboy

The shortage of British born doctors in this country has long been a problem. It is not down to shortage of qualified kids wishing to go to University to study medicine. The issue is the limited number of places available to kids schooled in this country.

Universities are being run like businesses and the more overseas students that they can get on their course the more fees they will bring in. Hence, the barriers to entry for our kids are tilted against them in favour of overseas students prepared to pay more

Precisely. The issue with me is not foreigners coming over here to work or study. It's them coming over at the expense of our own. 99% of the time it's to do with financial gain in the short term while the whole country suffers long no term
Leanne Wood on 11:28 - Apr 29 with 1400 viewsyescomeon

Leanne Wood on 10:07 - Apr 29 by perchrockjack

Thanks for that very fair and courteous reply and I take your point.

However, my point is we don't have enough young people imbued with the work ethic thst Asian kids have. They see education as a gift not to be sniffed at whereas we have a culture that encourages sloth.

We have some wonderful talent in this country and its often wasted

I do take your point ,however

Fair play, credit where it is due. I think you've hit the nail on the head there with your second paragraph. Not only is sloth encourage but stupidity too.

I would at (not in response to the quoted post) that foreign students aren't here at the expense of UK students, i.e. they aren't taking places of UK kids.

Upthecity!

Login to get fewer ads

Leanne Wood on 12:00 - Apr 29 with 1384 viewsKilkennyjack

Leanne Wood on 09:56 - Apr 29 by SPboy

Had not thought of it like that ...

So if you are running swanses uni and a course fee is £10,000. Then you are saying that the uni would take £10,000 from say china,rather than £10,000 from uk govt ? Is that right ?

On the surface at least its still £10,000 , or do the Chinese get charged more ?

Beware of the Risen People

Leanne Wood on 12:06 - Apr 29 with 1382 viewsyescomeon

Leanne Wood on 12:00 - Apr 29 by Kilkennyjack

So if you are running swanses uni and a course fee is £10,000. Then you are saying that the uni would take £10,000 from say china,rather than £10,000 from uk govt ? Is that right ?

On the surface at least its still £10,000 , or do the Chinese get charged more ?

Anyone from outside the EU pays almost double tuition (think the channel Islands are charge double come to think of it). As far as I know there is no cap on class sizes, but all unis are really pushing for foreign students, especially from China.

Upthecity!

Leanne Wood on 12:42 - Apr 29 with 1369 viewssherpajacob

Leanne Wood on 09:51 - Apr 29 by SPboy

That's interesting, nearly the whole of the UK seems to not require EU support. Yet Wales, with a whole government of its own is a basket case ... I guess that means those nasty lot in Westminster must be picking on us

And Cornwall?

Leanne Wood on 13:08 - Apr 29 with 1352 viewsmonmouth

Leanne Wood on 10:10 - Apr 29 by Jango

Precisely. The issue with me is not foreigners coming over here to work or study. It's them coming over at the expense of our own. 99% of the time it's to do with financial gain in the short term while the whole country suffers long no term

Aye, except of course it's not true.

If we had no (imported) foreign doctors and dentists the shortage of NHS doctors and dentists would be at even more critical levels, in fact beyond critical, and they have not actually taken the place of UK alternatives or applicants in UK medical schools.

As to universities, any UK kid that wants to get in can, but that is the problem. At least 40% of UK entrants are wholly unsuited to be there and absolutely pissed on (as Perch says) by the the work (study) ethic of foreign students and their pre university knowledge.

Nursing turned to shit when the Government decided a degree was more important than a vocational commitment and ward based training in the 90s, and then turned hospital nursing into an impossible job that no one in their right minds would want to do (see also, teaching, policing, social servicing).

I'm you're looking to blame, then immigrants are the last people to look at in these areas.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Leanne Wood on 13:29 - Apr 29 with 1344 viewsSPboy

Leanne Wood on 12:00 - Apr 29 by Kilkennyjack

Overseas students pay 2-3 times what a British student will pay.

Universities allocate a fixed number of places to home & overseas students on oversubscribed courses.

When the places are filled, the course is full. It is not a case of taking as many UK kids who have achieved the entry qualifications and want to go - there are not enough places for all who want to study Medicine.

We can read into the limit on homegrown schoolkids unable to get on courses of their choice whichever way we want, but the bottom line is there is a limit of Medical places at university. Demand for places is greater than supply, hence universities will seek to balance student numbers but they are able to prioritise higher income over places for homegrown Medical student wannabes
Leanne Wood on 13:35 - Apr 29 with 1337 viewsSPboy

Leanne Wood on 13:08 - Apr 29 by monmouth

If we had no (imported) foreign doctors and dentists the shortage of NHS doctors and dentists would be at even more critical levels, in fact beyond critical, and they have not actually taken the place of UK alternatives or applicants in UK medical schools.

As to universities, any UK kid that wants to get in can, but that is the problem. At least 40% of UK entrants are wholly unsuited to be there and absolutely pissed on (as Perch says) by the the work (study) ethic of foreign students and their pre university knowledge.

Nursing turned to shit when the Government decided a degree was more important than a vocational commitment and ward based training in the 90s, and then turned hospital nursing into an impossible job that no one in their right minds would want to do (see also, teaching, policing, social servicing).

I'm you're looking to blame, then immigrants are the last people to look at in these areas.

I think you will find that not "any UK kid" can get on a course to study Medicine even with the correct entry qualifications. Demand outstrips supply every year and always has done. Universities take a quota of home & overseas students to manage their costs.

I am not arguing about work ethics of UK students v overseas students here, just stating a fact. I don't think anyone is blaming immigrants - see my other post reply to Kilkenny about the way that universities manage oversubscribed courses.
Leanne Wood on 13:46 - Apr 29 with 1310 viewsJango

Leanne Wood on 13:08 - Apr 29 by monmouth

I can't speak for how nhs or universities work because I don't know but in my industry it is very much the case. I work all over on new build power stations and I can assure that you are the one thats wrong. I don't blame the immigrants, they are good hard working people. It's not right that we have thousands of highly trained tradesman out of work where foriegnors are being drafted in for huge contracts.
Leanne Wood on 13:53 - Apr 29 with 1305 viewsperchrockjack

If you re poor ,born poor, then surely you should be driven ,motivated far more than one born into privileged home.

Life is about aspirations.

Life is working to achieve what your parents didn't

If you re down ,education is the way out, not drug dealing .

Sadly, our feckless fookers look for the easier option.

Many will tell you it's pointless going to school n stuff when you can get a flash motor and girls by dealing ....

It's that attitude that is killing us. It's the most important issue . It's at our core and conservatives and labour haven't the guts to address it, rather looking for platitudes and excuses .

Leanne Wood on 14:25 - Apr 29 with 1283 viewsLeonWasGod

Leanne Wood on 09:51 - Apr 29 by SPboy

It's been a long time coming. Thatcher the final nail in the coffin and not recovered since. The yellow areas are the next tier below requiring structural funds and the UK has plenty of those too. So not quite as simple as that.
Leanne Wood on 15:13 - Apr 29 with 1264 viewsSPboy

Leanne Wood on 14:25 - Apr 29 by LeonWasGod

It's been a long time coming. Thatcher the final nail in the coffin and not recovered since. The yellow areas are the next tier below requiring structural funds and the UK has plenty of those too. So not quite as simple as that.

Of course it's not simple. If it was I dare say any political party would have found a fix. I don't see any party trying to fix it; I see the Welsh government failing to make any difference whatsoever, in fact probably making things worse with the extra bureaucracy & corruption whilst looking to put the blame elsewhere

So why are Wales & Cornwall THE worse off areas of the country in your view?
Leanne Wood on 15:59 - Apr 29 with 1244 viewsLeonWasGod

Leanne Wood on 15:13 - Apr 29 by SPboy

Of course it's not simple. If it was I dare say any political party would have found a fix. I don't see any party trying to fix it; I see the Welsh government failing to make any difference whatsoever, in fact probably making things worse with the extra bureaucracy & corruption whilst looking to put the blame elsewhere

So why are Wales & Cornwall THE worse off areas of the country in your view?

Both built past riches on mining in the past, never replaced it. Currently reliant on small-scale farming / public sector / seasonal tourism. Both remote, so not especially attractive to investment. Quite a lot in common. One has devolved govt, one doesn't. So as poor as the Assembly may be I don't think they're necessarily the problem. Agree they're not getting a handle on things, but it's hard to know how much they're hamstrung by finances from Westminster.
Leanne Wood on 18:59 - Apr 29 with 1209 viewssherpajacob

A few years old now, but still worth a watch.

Leanne Wood on 19:40 - Apr 29 with 1192 viewsSPboy

Leanne Wood on 15:59 - Apr 29 by LeonWasGod

Both built past riches on mining in the past, never replaced it. Currently reliant on small-scale farming / public sector / seasonal tourism. Both remote, so not especially attractive to investment. Quite a lot in common. One has devolved govt, one doesn't. So as poor as the Assembly may be I don't think they're necessarily the problem. Agree they're not getting a handle on things, but it's hard to know how much they're hamstrung by finances from Westminster.

Some good observations there Leon. Certainly distance from London plays a part, though the north-east of England & appears to be in a much healthier state without any regional government. Most of the south & central belt of Scotland also in better state, could this be down to Scottish government or Westminster favouritism?

Whichever way you look at it the Welsh government has achieved nothing of note for its entire existence & falls short on every count. Of course Welsh Labour will blame Westminster it's politics. In the meantime we slip further & further behind the rest of the country
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024