Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who to replace Britton next season? 15:29 - May 14 with 15088 viewsSwansea93

No suprise we picked up form when he came back into the team, I'd love for him to carry on week in week out next season but I think we need to consider his replacement for the team. Joey would of been the perfect one we all know that but unfortunately it won't happen.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Who to replace Britton next season? on 13:32 - May 17 with 2049 viewsploppy

Who to replace Britton next season? on 02:29 - May 17 by Nirvana

Well to each his own then, Ploppy.

But I will say that Koziello has been playing that role with Nice and has looked superb, they're third in the French league, and he's only 21. He would be first-choice instantly if he came to us this summer, and he's got the potential to be a legitimately world-class midfielder.

He is the perfect signing for us, and I'll keep saying it until he signs with Southampton or Sevilla or whoever for £10-12m.

I don't disagree with you - he could be perfect for us. My point was that he looks very useful in advanced positions so it would be a shame to waste those qualities by using him as a DM. He does things on the ball in open play that Sigurdsson could only dream of doing.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 14:10 - May 17 with 2021 viewsjack247

Who to replace Britton next season? on 09:03 - May 17 by 34dfgdf54

Easier said than done though, Leon is a once in a generation type signing. Arguably the best player to wear the shirt, I am guessing 1% of players coming through Premier League academies actually end up making the grade of being an actual Premier League player, never mind a player as important to our style of play as Leon is.

You're over thinking what he does.

Yes, his anticipation is superb. I guess that comes from a combination of experience, coaching and natural ability. Other than that, he does a relatively simple role exceptionally well. He breaks up attacks very well, always makes sure he is in the right place to give teammates an easy out ball and plays simple but constructive passes.

He has been an absolute hero for us over the years and played a massive part in us staying up, but he isn't irreplaceable or a once In a generation player.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 17:29 - May 17 with 1976 views34dfgdf54

Who to replace Britton next season? on 14:10 - May 17 by jack247

You're over thinking what he does.

Yes, his anticipation is superb. I guess that comes from a combination of experience, coaching and natural ability. Other than that, he does a relatively simple role exceptionally well. He breaks up attacks very well, always makes sure he is in the right place to give teammates an easy out ball and plays simple but constructive passes.

He has been an absolute hero for us over the years and played a massive part in us staying up, but he isn't irreplaceable or a once In a generation player.

Over thinking what he does? You was on here a few weeks ago saying Corks positional sense gets him out of trouble, the guys positional sense is an absolute joke and was a massive factor in us being where we were, midfield getting completely dominated week after week.

Mawson and Fernandez have been given credit for the recent clean sheets but there's no coincidence that since Leon has come back it's contributed massively to their better performances. Leon is ALWAYS available for the pass, can take the ball under pressure and consistently keeps it moving. He screens the back four brilliantly, our coach was the master of it and it also wouldn't surprise me if he put the pressure on Clement to bring him back in.

It's not me over thinking, it's you under estimating Leons role. No one at the club at present is good enough to do what he does.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 18:59 - May 17 with 1940 viewsjack247

Who to replace Britton next season? on 17:29 - May 17 by 34dfgdf54

Over thinking what he does? You was on here a few weeks ago saying Corks positional sense gets him out of trouble, the guys positional sense is an absolute joke and was a massive factor in us being where we were, midfield getting completely dominated week after week.

Mawson and Fernandez have been given credit for the recent clean sheets but there's no coincidence that since Leon has come back it's contributed massively to their better performances. Leon is ALWAYS available for the pass, can take the ball under pressure and consistently keeps it moving. He screens the back four brilliantly, our coach was the master of it and it also wouldn't surprise me if he put the pressure on Clement to bring him back in.

It's not me over thinking, it's you under estimating Leons role. No one at the club at present is good enough to do what he does.

You missed the point completely. I didn't say Cork was the long term answer. His positional sense is far from an 'absolute joke' though. His biggest problem is when he is in possession.

Your second paragraph is bang on. Wouldn't disagree with a word of it. Apart from the screening the back four bit, which I totally agree with, it's pretty much what I said. You seem to think it's impossible for anyone else to be able to do that though. Which bit of screening the back four brilliantly, anticipating play, always being in the right place for an easy pass and recycling possession well do you think is impossible to coach?

Would you have said he was good enough to play that role before Martinez switched him from wide right?

Leon is a club legend. Messi is a once in a generation player.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 19:06 - May 17 with 1928 viewsmax936

Who to replace Britton next season? on 00:03 - May 16 by nyc_swans

could be worth a bid on Emre Can. can function as a CM, but also pitch in all along the back line. he's entering the last year of his contract, and i don't think he would be out of reach.

No chance of us getting Can Klopp loves him plus he's virtually one of the first names on the Team sheet, Lucas on the other hand would be perfect for us for the next couple of yrs imho.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Who to replace Britton next season? on 19:10 - May 17 with 1925 viewsmax936

Who to replace Britton next season? on 08:50 - May 16 by cockneyswan

Tom Carol is tailor made to become Leon's replacement . I think with Leon's and PCs guidance Tom has all of the necessary tools, no need to spunk away millions on untried players. Don't let's make the Joe Allen mistake again.

My personal view for what its worth is that Carrol thrives on a more forward role in his CM position can he be has consistent as Leon in breaking up the opo's attacks I'm not so sure, could he become that player possibly with decent coaching and Leon's mentoring.

Who to replace Britton next season? on 19:13 - May 17 with 1918 viewsmax936

Who to replace Britton next season? on 13:18 - May 16 by Smellyplumz

No one, it will disrupt the team spirt and huws purse. Clem said so.

Huw can't afford it now, he's got Dogs that protect him to feed.

Who to replace Britton next season? on 19:19 - May 17 with 1910 viewsmax936

Who to replace Britton next season? on 23:36 - May 16 by Pokerface

I think Ki and Carroll are completely different players to Leon.

Leon breaks up opposition play, steals the ball off the feet of opposition players where he has no right to, wins tackles against more stronger physical players, is a natural link between defence and mid, always wants the ball, reads the game like he has written it beforehand and the players are all actors in his play.

Irreplaceable. When he retires I will be gutted. There will be a massive hole in squad that I pray gets filled adequately. Lots of admiration for this bloke. On and off the pitch. Hear so many great stories of how well he treats the fans.

As you were....

This 100% Great Post

Login to get fewer ads

Who to replace Britton next season? on 00:16 - May 18 with 1827 viewsBytholWyn

Another attribute that Britton possesses in spades is the quality of his passing. HIs weight and direction of pass, up to 20 metres or so, is second to none. This is often overlooked - perhaps because there's no easy way of measuring it. A completed pass that is just behind a player, or fired into feet and hard to control, or a lazy ball stroked across the back line between the back four, is recorded no differently to an inch perfect pass that builds rhythm and tempo. So, the stats understate Leon's contribution, which may go some way to explaining why successive recent managers have failed to appreciate his quality at the outset of their tenure.

Take Naughton's goal on Saturday. It was very much a team goal, but Britton played a decisive role, first with his positive dribble into space, drawing the defence towards him, and then playing a simple but well-weighted pass to Ki - making it easy for him to deliver a superbly weighted through ball. Naughton gets the goal and the glory, Ki the assist - but Leon pulled the strings.

Another example of Leon's passing ability came in the Stoke game. He was being chased down with his back to goal, and looked as if he was about to be dispossessed (ye of little faith), and then he delivered a beautifully weighted reverse pass into Ki's feet - which not only averted a dangerous situation, but also immediately put us back on the front foot. Leon is peerless, with us at least, at quickly transforming defence into attack - and that speed of transition is vital for exploiting the narrow window of opportunity when opponents' shape is set for attack rather than defence.

Whoever we get to utimately replace Leon needs to have the same core qualities: light (= low inertia and therefore great speed off the mark), read the game very well, and have excellent technical ability and weight of pass. Koziella and Jonny Williams both have at least some of these qualities, albeit that both are attacking mids. But then who better than Makelele and Britton to help either make the transition to a more deep-lying role? Britton went through the same transition, so why not Koziella or Jonny Williams? The alternative, of buying a ready made player of sufficient quality, i.e. a Kante, will be unaffordable.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 00:36 - May 18 with 1813 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Who to replace Britton next season? on 18:59 - May 17 by jack247

You missed the point completely. I didn't say Cork was the long term answer. His positional sense is far from an 'absolute joke' though. His biggest problem is when he is in possession.

Your second paragraph is bang on. Wouldn't disagree with a word of it. Apart from the screening the back four bit, which I totally agree with, it's pretty much what I said. You seem to think it's impossible for anyone else to be able to do that though. Which bit of screening the back four brilliantly, anticipating play, always being in the right place for an easy pass and recycling possession well do you think is impossible to coach?

Would you have said he was good enough to play that role before Martinez switched him from wide right?

Leon is a club legend. Messi is a once in a generation player.

Cork's biggest problem is not his passing.

It his his insistence on trying to be a hero, sprinting far out of position to make a tackle, often deep into the opponents half that really does not need to be made. To his credit he did not do this against Sunderland. It was the first time in a very long time I have not seen him caught out of position.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Who to replace Britton next season? on 00:47 - May 18 with 1805 viewsheadcleaner

To be honest I think we should start acting like a premier league club and doing to others what they do to us and we should find out what price Joe Allen would cost us from Stoke and go make them an offer of £17 Mill or £20 million and match his wages and play him in front of Leon that way leon could stick to what he does best and sit in front of the back four whilst joe covers and gets box to box.

It would show great intent from the club and help the Wales cause as well and it would be a great sign to Siggy and Llorente and anyone else that we mean business and want to fly up the table. it would improve our squad by a 100% we could also get rid of a lot of dead wood and have a big clear out of unused squad players and save a fortune on their wages - Barkley, Barrow, Grimes for starters.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 06:10 - May 18 with 1745 viewsDr_Winston

Who to replace Britton next season? on 00:47 - May 18 by headcleaner

To be honest I think we should start acting like a premier league club and doing to others what they do to us and we should find out what price Joe Allen would cost us from Stoke and go make them an offer of £17 Mill or £20 million and match his wages and play him in front of Leon that way leon could stick to what he does best and sit in front of the back four whilst joe covers and gets box to box.

It would show great intent from the club and help the Wales cause as well and it would be a great sign to Siggy and Llorente and anyone else that we mean business and want to fly up the table. it would improve our squad by a 100% we could also get rid of a lot of dead wood and have a big clear out of unused squad players and save a fortune on their wages - Barkley, Barrow, Grimes for starters.

£20m for Joe Allen.

No. Just..... no.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Who to replace Britton next season? on 07:31 - May 18 with 1697 viewswaynekerr55

I for one will be devastated when Britts goes. What a top, top player. If he wasn't English he'd have 50+ international caps. Every team teams a player like him who holds it together. We'll look back in 10 years time and realise how lucky we were to have such a quality footballer.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Buy passports,id cards,(www.purchase-real-and-fake-documents.com)drivers license on 07:41 - May 18 with 1688 viewswaynekerr55

This wouldn't have happened if Daz was still a mod...

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Who to replace Britton next season? on 07:46 - May 18 with 1680 viewsjack247

Who to replace Britton next season? on 00:36 - May 18 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Cork's biggest problem is not his passing.

It his his insistence on trying to be a hero, sprinting far out of position to make a tackle, often deep into the opponents half that really does not need to be made. To his credit he did not do this against Sunderland. It was the first time in a very long time I have not seen him caught out of position.

No, it's not. Corks biggest problem is when he is in possession.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 07:50 - May 18 with 1675 viewsNirvana

Who to replace Britton next season? on 05:54 - May 17 by TheKirkyLife

Sadly this IS Swansea City FC we're speculating over. Idiocy has been our speciality for the last three Summer transfer windows.

That is certainly true, Kirky.

Sadly, it's impossible to predict what exactly will happen each summer but we all know the inevitable. Wait, wait, wait, make a few cheap and disappointing signings, and then panic with the big purchase (if there is one) after all the quality players sign elsewhere.

To Jenkins, that's a winning strategy/artform that's kept us in the PL for 7 seasons now, and he views himself and the club as masters of it. To everyone else, it's the antithesis of a successful transfer policy, and will eventually have us relegated.

Will he learn from the past two seasons? Probably not.

But if The Americans true aim is to grow the club commercially and sell, they should know it's nearly impossible to achieve without the class that draws the eyeballs. Keep Siggy and Llorente, surround them with a handful of young talents and proven quality, establish an exciting style of play, and start climbing up the table.

That's a successful business model and it is guaranteed to significantly improve our revenue. Anything else (The Jenkins Way) will quickly have us back in the Championship and we were INCREDIBLY lucky to avoid that this season. Hopefully, we'll learn from our mistakes.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 08:01 - May 18 with 1658 viewsNirvana

Who to replace Britton next season? on 13:32 - May 17 by ploppy

I don't disagree with you - he could be perfect for us. My point was that he looks very useful in advanced positions so it would be a shame to waste those qualities by using him as a DM. He does things on the ball in open play that Sigurdsson could only dream of doing.

Well then I'm glad we agree, Ploppy.

Koziello is a little magician on the ball and has a bag full of tricks, but the thing I really like about him is that he uses them selectively and at the exact right time. That, combined with his stellar movement and reading/use of open space with his passing and positioning, is what parallels Leon the most.

He's also got a tireless workrate, great pace, and could probably fill in at fullback if necessary with a bit of proper coaching. He can alternate between DM and box-to-box depending on the situation, but his best position is shielding the backline and he's shown that this season. Perfect signing for us at the perfect time, and it will be disappointing to once again see us blow this. It is to be expected, though.

As for Siggy, he's not the most skillful dribbler but he makes up for it with his intelligence and quick feet. And of course his main talents lie elsewhere, and they've been on display throughout his career. Koziello didn't account for 22 goals this season, so they both bring something different to the table. They'd make a great fit together, and the club should be trying to make that happen.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 08:08 - May 18 with 1648 viewsNirvana

Who to replace Britton next season? on 19:06 - May 17 by max936

No chance of us getting Can Klopp loves him plus he's virtually one of the first names on the Team sheet, Lucas on the other hand would be perfect for us for the next couple of yrs imho.

I like Lucas but I think his wages will be too high.

We should also be targeting quality young players this summer, as we are sorely lacking in that department.

What do you think about Koziello, Max?
Who to replace Britton next season? on 08:16 - May 18 with 1642 viewsNirvana

Who to replace Britton next season? on 00:16 - May 18 by BytholWyn

Another attribute that Britton possesses in spades is the quality of his passing. HIs weight and direction of pass, up to 20 metres or so, is second to none. This is often overlooked - perhaps because there's no easy way of measuring it. A completed pass that is just behind a player, or fired into feet and hard to control, or a lazy ball stroked across the back line between the back four, is recorded no differently to an inch perfect pass that builds rhythm and tempo. So, the stats understate Leon's contribution, which may go some way to explaining why successive recent managers have failed to appreciate his quality at the outset of their tenure.

Take Naughton's goal on Saturday. It was very much a team goal, but Britton played a decisive role, first with his positive dribble into space, drawing the defence towards him, and then playing a simple but well-weighted pass to Ki - making it easy for him to deliver a superbly weighted through ball. Naughton gets the goal and the glory, Ki the assist - but Leon pulled the strings.

Another example of Leon's passing ability came in the Stoke game. He was being chased down with his back to goal, and looked as if he was about to be dispossessed (ye of little faith), and then he delivered a beautifully weighted reverse pass into Ki's feet - which not only averted a dangerous situation, but also immediately put us back on the front foot. Leon is peerless, with us at least, at quickly transforming defence into attack - and that speed of transition is vital for exploiting the narrow window of opportunity when opponents' shape is set for attack rather than defence.

Whoever we get to utimately replace Leon needs to have the same core qualities: light (= low inertia and therefore great speed off the mark), read the game very well, and have excellent technical ability and weight of pass. Koziella and Jonny Williams both have at least some of these qualities, albeit that both are attacking mids. But then who better than Makelele and Britton to help either make the transition to a more deep-lying role? Britton went through the same transition, so why not Koziella or Jonny Williams? The alternative, of buying a ready made player of sufficient quality, i.e. a Kante, will be unaffordable.

Spot on, Bythol. Very well said.

I would disagree about Koziello being an AM, though, as he's played DM exclusively this season and been quite superb.

He's not Kante yet but he's that type of class and it wouldn't take much for him to get there. Clement could surely make great use of his talent.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 08:21 - May 18 with 1634 viewsNirvana

Who to replace Britton next season? on 00:47 - May 18 by headcleaner

I would say £17-20m may be a tad high for Allen but I like where your head is at. He is a £15m player at minimum, though, and I would love to see him back with the Swans.

I would happily accept any attempt made to make that happen.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 21:06 - May 20 with 1488 viewsNirvana

Apparently this is who Jenkins has targeted to replace Leon:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/swansea-city-linked-su

Not Koziello, not even Jonny Williams.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
It's Josh Brownhill!

Who?

From Bristol City...
League One...
Who to replace Britton next season? on 21:29 - May 20 with 1463 viewsItchySphincter

oh f*ck off.....

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Who to replace Britton next season? on 23:13 - May 20 with 1421 viewsWhiterockin

Who to replace Britton next season? on 08:21 - May 18 by Nirvana

I would say £17-20m may be a tad high for Allen but I like where your head is at. He is a £15m player at minimum, though, and I would love to see him back with the Swans.

I would happily accept any attempt made to make that happen.

Its not what a player is worth but what he is worth for us. Leon makes us tick and Allen would do the same £15m would be a small price to pay.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 23:24 - May 20 with 1401 viewsperchrockjack

Surely Cork was brought in to replace Britton.

He hasn't

He can't ,so ,in his own way, he is irreplaceable

His replacement will have to do his role and more

Cork has been anonymous in most games and utterly average with no a captain s bone in his body

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Who to replace Britton next season? on 00:10 - May 21 with 1365 viewsjack247

Who to replace Britton next season? on 23:24 - May 20 by perchrockjack

Surely Cork was brought in to replace Britton.

He hasn't

He can't ,so ,in his own way, he is irreplaceable

His replacement will have to do his role and more

Cork has been anonymous in most games and utterly average with no a captain s bone in his body

The fact that Cork hasn't been able to replace Leon doesn't make him irreplaceable.

Cork was actually one of our best players in the initial good run under Clement. That's not to say Leon wouldn't have done a better job or he didn't have a terrible few games before Leon got recalled.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024