Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who to replace Britton next season? 15:29 - May 14 with 15085 viewsSwansea93

No suprise we picked up form when he came back into the team, I'd love for him to carry on week in week out next season but I think we need to consider his replacement for the team. Joey would of been the perfect one we all know that but unfortunately it won't happen.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Who to replace Britton next season? on 10:13 - May 21 with 1751 viewsKulusBeatFactory

Leon and Makelele to identify, recruit and inculcate their philosophy

Allen has to be a contender - and still has so much to learn from Leon - as demonstrated in the Stoke masterclass
Who to replace Britton next season? on 11:15 - May 21 with 1722 viewsOldjack

Just hang in there for a few more years Leon
[Post edited 21 May 2017 11:18]

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Who to replace Britton next season? on 13:19 - May 21 with 1676 viewsdobjack2

Jack cork after 60 mins!
Who to replace Britton next season? on 03:54 - May 22 with 1606 viewsNirvana

Who to replace Britton next season? on 23:13 - May 20 by Whiterockin

Its not what a player is worth but what he is worth for us. Leon makes us tick and Allen would do the same £15m would be a small price to pay.

I agree, Whiterockin.

I think £15m is a good price for Allen, it would be a truly meaningful signing from the club, and he would be a phenomenal fit within the XI each week. I would offload all of Ki/Fer/Cork and take Allen back in a heartbeat.

We were crying out for a crafty, all-energy midfielder all season, and Carroll did a great job after he signed. I honestly think Koziello would be better value for the money, but he's not the Welsh Jesus. Only one Joe Allen, and he belongs on the Swans.

Based on Stoke's finish to the season, we may be able to get them to sell, and below value. As I said before, I would gladly accept any attempt by the club to get him back.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 03:56 - May 22 with 1601 viewsNirvana

Who to replace Britton next season? on 21:29 - May 20 by ItchySphincter

oh f*ck off.....

Likewise, Sphincter.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 03:58 - May 22 with 1598 viewsMeraki

i can 100% clarify Joe will not be with us next season.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 04:03 - May 22 with 1594 viewsNirvana

Who to replace Britton next season? on 03:58 - May 22 by Meraki

i can 100% clarify Joe will not be with us next season.

How?
Who to replace Britton next season? on 05:38 - May 22 with 1574 viewsMeraki

Who to replace Britton next season? on 04:03 - May 22 by Nirvana

How?

You will have to trust me on that one.
Login to get fewer ads

Who to replace Britton next season? on 06:23 - May 22 with 1555 viewsNirvana

Who to replace Britton next season? on 05:38 - May 22 by Meraki

You will have to trust me on that one.

Okay, I guess I'll have to.

Do you know if the club are looking at someone who can play like Allen?

And if so, who is it?
Who to replace Britton next season? on 10:19 - May 22 with 1489 viewsjasper_T

Stefano Sensi at Sassuolo is probably the closest thing to Leon I've seen this season.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 20:42 - May 22 with 1419 viewsNirvana

Who to replace Britton next season? on 10:19 - May 22 by jasper_T

Stefano Sensi at Sassuolo is probably the closest thing to Leon I've seen this season.

Excellent, Jasper.

Finally getting somewhere with this thread. Sensi has been a revelation this year, and I agree with you about the similarities with Leon. There's a small handful of players in world football right now who mirror Leon on the pitch, and the club should be looking at all of them very closely.

Sensi is one of the best examples. Low centre of gravity, agile, always on the turn, box of moves, proper positioning - a lot to like about the kid. And he's young, making an impact on a quality team in Serie A, and wouldn't cost too much this stage of his career. Simply put, he's class and I would fully support any move by the club to bring him in this summer.

Got an opinion on Vincent Koziello, Jasper? I think he's even better and more suited to the PL than Sensi, would love to know what you think.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 22:26 - May 22 with 1387 viewsYossarian

Who to replace Britton next season? on 23:24 - May 20 by perchrockjack

Surely Cork was brought in to replace Britton.

He hasn't

He can't ,so ,in his own way, he is irreplaceable

His replacement will have to do his role and more

Cork has been anonymous in most games and utterly average with no a captain s bone in his body

Agreed. Often out of position exposing our back four, most recently at Sunderland after he came on. The speed of a milk float, can't hit the long pass, can't dictate the tempo or thread one through, never mind galvanise the team like a decent skipper should. Leon's chase back and saving block in the 2nd half showed that even though he has more than a few years on Cork , he's different class. Carroll is a tidy player but weak in the tackle and without Leon's nous he would get overpowered in that role in my opinion. Central midfield, specifically creative midfielders and a ball-winning box to box type should be the number 1 priority. Problem is, this type of strengthening might be beyond what the club is prepared to spend.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Who to replace Britton next season? on 22:58 - May 22 with 1358 views34dfgdf54

Who to replace Britton next season? on 22:26 - May 22 by Yossarian

Agreed. Often out of position exposing our back four, most recently at Sunderland after he came on. The speed of a milk float, can't hit the long pass, can't dictate the tempo or thread one through, never mind galvanise the team like a decent skipper should. Leon's chase back and saving block in the 2nd half showed that even though he has more than a few years on Cork , he's different class. Carroll is a tidy player but weak in the tackle and without Leon's nous he would get overpowered in that role in my opinion. Central midfield, specifically creative midfielders and a ball-winning box to box type should be the number 1 priority. Problem is, this type of strengthening might be beyond what the club is prepared to spend.

Someone who knows what they are talking about. Agree with everything from start to finish.

I worry about what we are going to do when Leon finally can't do it anymore. I am not exaggerating when I say, if Clement hadn't of bought him back in from the cold after the Watford loss, we would have been relegated. Fernandez and Mawson had some stick, Mawson justified after the Watford ge as it was a bad error, but they were exposed badly for three quarters of a season. Bradley kept changing the central defence partnership continually, it's easy to blame centre halves when goals are going in left right and centre, but they had ZERO protection for far too long. Sadly though, that's how thick Bradley was.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 06:39 - May 23 with 1291 viewsjack247

Ok serious question. Would you have said Leon could do the 'Leon' role before he was moved from wide right?
Who to replace Britton next season? on 06:41 - May 23 with 1290 viewsNirvana

Excellent post, Yossarian.

Agree with pretty much everything you've said, and your player analysis is spot on. I think the first priority should be retaining Siggy and Llorente, but midfield is definitely our most pressing need after that.

Of course we need a RB, backup ST, wingers, and a CB or two. But that's ideal, and Jenkins isn't going to do that. We really need someone who can fill both Leon's and Allen's roles for us, and they'd preferably be a younger, emerging talent.

I think the answer here is Vincent Koziello. Bar a bidding frenzy, he would fall comfortably within our price range, he only has a year left on his contract, and he was frustrated a bit with his playing time this past season.

I think it's the time to swoop, and a midtable PL club where he can play every week, like ourselves, is the perfect place for him right now. Interested to hear your view on this is, though.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 07:01 - May 23 with 1268 viewsNirvana

Who to replace Britton next season? on 06:39 - May 23 by jack247

Ok serious question. Would you have said Leon could do the 'Leon' role before he was moved from wide right?

Just to answer the question, I would've probably said he couldn't do it. And I would've been wrong.

But, Leon had the benefit of switching positions in the lower leagues, where the pressure is far lower and the quality is even worse. He was also able to make the transition in the perfect setting, surrounded by a stable club that was run well. All that's changed now.

And, of course, Leon is a truly phenomenal football talent and mind, and always has been. Those don't just grow on trees.

Expecting someone to repeat that in the PL is damn near impossible. I honestly don't think even Leon could, given the amount of criticism that footballers at the top face. It's honestly unreal, the stress.

We should be signing a proven player with upside to take over for Leon this summer. It is an incredibly vital role in 'the Swansea Way' and it shouldn't be taken lightly how difficult it will be to find a replacement. Again, Vincent Koziello is my pick.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 07:29 - May 23 with 1260 viewsjack247

Who to replace Britton next season? on 07:01 - May 23 by Nirvana

Just to answer the question, I would've probably said he couldn't do it. And I would've been wrong.

But, Leon had the benefit of switching positions in the lower leagues, where the pressure is far lower and the quality is even worse. He was also able to make the transition in the perfect setting, surrounded by a stable club that was run well. All that's changed now.

And, of course, Leon is a truly phenomenal football talent and mind, and always has been. Those don't just grow on trees.

Expecting someone to repeat that in the PL is damn near impossible. I honestly don't think even Leon could, given the amount of criticism that footballers at the top face. It's honestly unreal, the stress.

We should be signing a proven player with upside to take over for Leon this summer. It is an incredibly vital role in 'the Swansea Way' and it shouldn't be taken lightly how difficult it will be to find a replacement. Again, Vincent Koziello is my pick.

I don't disagree with looking for a similar replacement. What I do disagree with is all the 'irreplaceable' and 'once in a generation' stuff.

I agree with the previous posters dismissing Cork. He isn't mobile enough and his distribution is nowhere near as good. I wouldn't write off Carroll. He shares many attributes with Leon and while maybe not having the same anticipation and strength for a diminutive player, he isn't scared of a tackle, has an engine on him, reads the game very well and is at least Leon's equal in terms of distribution.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 07:51 - May 23 with 1247 viewsNirvana

Who to replace Britton next season? on 07:29 - May 23 by jack247

I don't disagree with looking for a similar replacement. What I do disagree with is all the 'irreplaceable' and 'once in a generation' stuff.

I agree with the previous posters dismissing Cork. He isn't mobile enough and his distribution is nowhere near as good. I wouldn't write off Carroll. He shares many attributes with Leon and while maybe not having the same anticipation and strength for a diminutive player, he isn't scared of a tackle, has an engine on him, reads the game very well and is at least Leon's equal in terms of distribution.

I agree on nearly everything you've said here, 247.

Just for clarity, Leon is not a once in a generation global football talent. That would be ridiculous. But I do think he is that for Swansea, and that's all that matters really.

He's not literally irreplaceable, but given our style of play and the importance of his role, he is the closest thing to it. I genuinely think it will be extremely difficult to replicate what he has accomplished on and off the pitch with the club, and it's going to take multiple players over the course of several years.

Unless we sign Koziello this summer, of course. He's only 21 and French, and wouldn't be the leader Leon is right away. But he's the smartest guy on the pitch pretty much at all times, he's aggressive, and he's the first to argue for his side over calls. Definite near-future captain.

I really like what Carroll has displayed with us so far, and I hope he can keep it up and improve next season. But to me, he's a bit inconsistent with his decision-making on the ball, and has a habit of losing focus and giving it up in dangerous areas. With proper coaching, like Clement and Makalele, he has and will continue to improve on this.

But I'd rather see him playing the Allen-terrier role than shielding the backline. I think that's his best position, and playing him anywhere else would significantly reduce his effectiveness.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 07:53 - May 23 with 1243 viewsYossarian

Who to replace Britton next season? on 06:39 - May 23 by jack247

The honest answer Jack is that I didn't really appreciate or understand the significance of 'the Makelele role' and it's place in the modern game then. Sure, there were defensive midfielders years before, one example being Nobby Stiles- but their role was essentially disrupting the opposition, man marking, winning the ball for the more creative players. In my view, the role developed into providing a flexible defensive shield by reading the game well, but also dictating tempo and providing the outlet to quickly put midfielders into space. If I think about it, Leon was probably shown the door by Arsenal and West Ham not because he lacked talent or a footballing brain but because in the perceived wisdom of the time he was simply too small for top flight football. I think the game then developed away from emphasising sheer power and athleticism and the success of Chavi and Iniesta etc persuaded many that this was the way forward. Leon was fortunate in being in the right place at the right time to take advantage but where Leon is truly great in my view has been his ability to shape his game to take maximum advantage of his skills- quick feet, short passing vision and the ability to nick the ball of the opposition without having to be a conventional tough tackler(not that he can't do that when needed). He has been a master at minimising his own limitations by being (for me) one of the most intelligent players in the PL. His lack of physicality puts off every new manager until they realise he had worked this all out for himself years ago. Whether Carroll could be as fortunate depends on him mainly, but also the circumstances of the team and the way the game is developing generally. Time will tell, but he'll never, ever get better immediate role models than Makelele and his skipper

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Who to replace Britton next season? on 07:58 - May 23 with 1240 viewsYossarian

Who to replace Britton next season? on 06:41 - May 23 by Nirvana

Agree with pretty much everything you've said, and your player analysis is spot on. I think the first priority should be retaining Siggy and Llorente, but midfield is definitely our most pressing need after that.

Of course we need a RB, backup ST, wingers, and a CB or two. But that's ideal, and Jenkins isn't going to do that. We really need someone who can fill both Leon's and Allen's roles for us, and they'd preferably be a younger, emerging talent.

I think the answer here is Vincent Koziello. Bar a bidding frenzy, he would fall comfortably within our price range, he only has a year left on his contract, and he was frustrated a bit with his playing time this past season.

I think it's the time to swoop, and a midtable PL club where he can play every week, like ourselves, is the perfect place for him right now. Interested to hear your view on this is, though.

Nirvana, to be honest I don't know much about him but I've tasked myself to put that right. He Sounds like a potentially good fit. Has he got any clips on YouTube?

Who to replace Britton next season? on 08:13 - May 23 with 1223 viewsNirvana

Who to replace Britton next season? on 07:58 - May 23 by Yossarian

Nirvana, to be honest I don't know much about him but I've tasked myself to put that right. He Sounds like a potentially good fit. Has he got any clips on YouTube?

Excellent decision, you can't go wrong.

His highlights from 15/16 are on the 1st page of this thread posted by BytholWyn and I posted a few videos of games, as well.

He played in a more withdrawn role this season and looked superb. Watch a couple minutes of one of the games or the one posted below. Crystal-clear quality, Mario ffukkingg Balotelli, and Bafe too! Phenomenal game, as well, a lot of quality. I hope you enjoy, and let me know if you see the similarities.

#26 on Nice, low socks, blonde hair
(edit: you'll have to click the links, but they work for me)

[Post edited 23 May 2017 8:15]
Who to replace Britton next season? on 08:20 - May 23 with 1211 viewsYossarian

Who to replace Britton next season? on 06:41 - May 23 by Nirvana

Nirvana- sorry forget last post- just saw Itchy's piece on Koziello. He looks good, and appears to have a turn of pace which is another thing our midfield has conspicuously lacked for a couple of seasons now. The good thing is that Clement will know about him from his time at PSG so it'll definitely be one to monitor over the summer. I'm not averse to looking at the Championship or L1 for recruits. Remember Alfie made the step-up well and the Fulham RB looked promising in their playoff semi. Again, I have confidence in our manager and his staff that they have the required player knowledge and recruitment should be left for them to lead.

Who to replace Britton next season? on 08:23 - May 23 with 1207 viewsYossarian

Cheers, nice one!

Who to replace Britton next season? on 08:29 - May 23 with 1203 viewsNirvana

Who to replace Britton next season? on 08:20 - May 23 by Yossarian

Nirvana- sorry forget last post- just saw Itchy's piece on Koziello. He looks good, and appears to have a turn of pace which is another thing our midfield has conspicuously lacked for a couple of seasons now. The good thing is that Clement will know about him from his time at PSG so it'll definitely be one to monitor over the summer. I'm not averse to looking at the Championship or L1 for recruits. Remember Alfie made the step-up well and the Fulham RB looked promising in their playoff semi. Again, I have confidence in our manager and his staff that they have the required player knowledge and recruitment should be left for them to lead.

Great points, again.

But of course they're going to make the decisions, we're just exchanging messages on the Internet. I know Clement knows his sshitt, and the rest of his staff seem to, as well.

I worry about Jenkins, though. Meaning I hope he leaves it to them. They'd definitely be looking at players like Koziello, like you said, and PC has the best contacts possible in world football.

He really should be given total control, and allowed to sink or swim (within reason) with his decisions. That's a proper manager, and we won't have one until HJ gets his big nose out of the transfers.
Who to replace Britton next season? on 09:46 - May 23 with 1158 viewsjasper_T

Who to replace Britton next season? on 20:42 - May 22 by Nirvana

Excellent, Jasper.

Finally getting somewhere with this thread. Sensi has been a revelation this year, and I agree with you about the similarities with Leon. There's a small handful of players in world football right now who mirror Leon on the pitch, and the club should be looking at all of them very closely.

Sensi is one of the best examples. Low centre of gravity, agile, always on the turn, box of moves, proper positioning - a lot to like about the kid. And he's young, making an impact on a quality team in Serie A, and wouldn't cost too much this stage of his career. Simply put, he's class and I would fully support any move by the club to bring him in this summer.

Got an opinion on Vincent Koziello, Jasper? I think he's even better and more suited to the PL than Sensi, would love to know what you think.

I don't watch French football so I've not seen him play.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024