Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is Potter on about ??? 18:23 - Apr 1 with 3179 viewsperplex

He has put out a statement to continue to do the things we do well, I know we do really well at not taking goal scoring chances, and we do well at constantly conceding goals from set pieces but I just cannot understand why he wants to continue this trend.
What is Potter on about ??? on 18:43 - Apr 1 with 3119 viewsploppy

I've not see the statement, but I assume he means - those things that we do well, continue to do them. And conversely, the things we don't do well - stop doing them.
What is Potter on about ??? on 19:52 - Apr 1 with 2998 viewsjasper_T

He did his normal pre-match press conference today and kept his cool during even more daft questions than normal.

Not said anything controversial, and admits there are areas that need work. It's up on the official site if you want to put quotes into context.
What is Potter on about ??? on 20:03 - Apr 1 with 2969 viewsLuther27

What is Potter on about ??? on 19:52 - Apr 1 by jasper_T

He did his normal pre-match press conference today and kept his cool during even more daft questions than normal.

Not said anything controversial, and admits there are areas that need work. It's up on the official site if you want to put quotes into context.

Just a question. How many set piece goals have we conceded this season due to inept, incompetent zonal marking?
What is Potter on about ??? on 20:05 - Apr 1 with 2955 viewsjasper_T

What is Potter on about ??? on 20:03 - Apr 1 by Luther27

Just a question. How many set piece goals have we conceded this season due to inept, incompetent zonal marking?

Sounds like a worthwhile study. Looking forward to your thread.

Lots of pictures, please.
What is Potter on about ??? on 20:10 - Apr 1 with 2940 viewsNeathJack

What is Potter on about ??? on 20:03 - Apr 1 by Luther27

It's not just zonal marking though, it's a combination of zonal and man marking which probably 90% of teams these days use.
What is Potter on about ??? on 20:16 - Apr 1 with 2930 viewsLuther27

What is Potter on about ??? on 20:10 - Apr 1 by NeathJack

It's not just zonal marking though, it's a combination of zonal and man marking which probably 90% of teams these days use.

Well I watched another two conceded again at Forest and yet another lot of blank faces looking at each other.
What is Potter on about ??? on 20:18 - Apr 1 with 2922 viewsoldcob

I love watching the short passes out of defence it's lovely to see, though I don't enjoy the lateral passing and passing back out of laziness. I enjoy the fast build up that gets us a goal a la the second against Man City, but I hate the extra touch we take in the penalty area when through on goal instead of hitting it early before a defender has time to come across and block. Whatever anyone thinks there are good parts to our game and others not so good. I just think that the goal scoring side of it needs more attention, after all it's goals that wins games and winning games is the only thing that brings success.
What is Potter on about ??? on 20:18 - Apr 1 with 2922 viewsNeathJack

What is Potter on about ??? on 20:16 - Apr 1 by Luther27

Well I watched another two conceded again at Forest and yet another lot of blank faces looking at each other.

I don't think the fact we conceded was up for discussion? I'm saying it's not purely a zonal marking system.

And besides, I'm sure just as many goals are conceded my a man to man system it's just that system never gets the blame.
Login to get fewer ads

What is Potter on about ??? on 20:19 - Apr 1 with 2918 viewsLuther27

What is Potter on about ??? on 20:05 - Apr 1 by jasper_T

Sounds like a worthwhile study. Looking forward to your thread.

Lots of pictures, please.

Well if I'd bothered my ass I would have had another two pics from the weekend. Instead I was actually watching the match and not data gathering.
My question believe it or not was a serious one. Maybe someone on here can answer it as obviously you can't.
What is Potter on about ??? on 20:37 - Apr 1 with 2880 viewsLuther27

What is Potter on about ??? on 20:18 - Apr 1 by NeathJack

I don't think the fact we conceded was up for discussion? I'm saying it's not purely a zonal marking system.

And besides, I'm sure just as many goals are conceded my a man to man system it's just that system never gets the blame.

In my reading of the OP it is up for discussion. My point is we have not deviated from zonal this season. I'm unable...non tech type person...to upload the graph from Swans Analytics on twitter to further my argument. We are a soft touch in this division and Forest are the latest to take advantage.
What is Potter on about ??? on 20:47 - Apr 1 with 2841 viewsNeathJack

What is Potter on about ??? on 20:37 - Apr 1 by Luther27

In my reading of the OP it is up for discussion. My point is we have not deviated from zonal this season. I'm unable...non tech type person...to upload the graph from Swans Analytics on twitter to further my argument. We are a soft touch in this division and Forest are the latest to take advantage.

I think it's more to do with the general lack of height and physical presence in the squad than any particular defensive system.
What is Potter on about ??? on 20:54 - Apr 1 with 2794 viewsLuther27

What is Potter on about ??? on 20:47 - Apr 1 by NeathJack

I think it's more to do with the general lack of height and physical presence in the squad than any particular defensive system.

I think it's due to arrogant shthead coaching to be honest.
What is Potter on about ??? on 20:56 - Apr 1 with 2787 viewsNeathJack

What is Potter on about ??? on 20:54 - Apr 1 by Luther27

I think it's due to arrogant shthead coaching to be honest.

Ok then...
What is Potter on about ??? on 21:07 - Apr 1 with 2754 viewsDr_Winston

There are massive, massive areas for improvement in the squad and the way we go about our business. That goes without saying.

As frustrating as it can be watching us this season, the one constant theme Potter has hammered on all season is that we're at the beginning of a rebuilding process. Players, and coaches, will make mistakes. It's how they learn.

If we're still doing this in twelve months time, then maybe we'll have cause for concern.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

What is Potter on about ??? on 21:10 - Apr 1 with 2750 viewslibertyx

I also think its because we have so many small players with some of them not very physical. Every team we play will have have at least 5/6 players who are 6ft plus, and its very hard then to defend in the box.
What is Potter on about ??? on 21:16 - Apr 1 with 2724 viewsOldjack

We need money to strengthen ,according to some people we've not got a pot to piss in .Also we sell the likes of Dan we're gonna be in a right mess next season . Has anyone seen the books yet ?

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

What is Potter on about ??? on 21:36 - Apr 1 with 2683 viewsFlashberryjack

What is Potter on about ??? on 21:07 - Apr 1 by Dr_Winston

There are massive, massive areas for improvement in the squad and the way we go about our business. That goes without saying.

As frustrating as it can be watching us this season, the one constant theme Potter has hammered on all season is that we're at the beginning of a rebuilding process. Players, and coaches, will make mistakes. It's how they learn.

If we're still doing this in twelve months time, then maybe we'll have cause for concern.

"we're at the beginning of a rebuilding process"

Some would say the exact opposite.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

What is Potter on about ??? on 21:55 - Apr 1 with 2636 viewsDr_Winston

What is Potter on about ??? on 21:36 - Apr 1 by Flashberryjack

"we're at the beginning of a rebuilding process"

Some would say the exact opposite.

No doubt. Some utterly adore writhing in misery.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

What is Potter on about ??? on 22:02 - Apr 1 with 2613 viewsjasper_T

What is Potter on about ??? on 20:37 - Apr 1 by Luther27

We've not deviated from a very broad group of systems, no. And we shouldn't because statistically a primarily-zonal system is going to lead to less chances conceded than a primarily-man to man system when you have a smaller than average squad. Top footballing teams almost all use zonal systems for good and well-supported reasons.

To say we haven't deviated at all is incorrect, though. We've used several different zonal arrangements this season. For example, after the first West Brom defeat we started assigning Rodon to the zone beyond the back post, from where we conceded both goals.

We haven't been good enough at defending set pieces. And it does come down to coaching and organisation, and the quality of players being used. To concede more than average is understandable, but to concede the most in the division is surely correctable on some level. It's not an overnight fix, although a braver goalkeeper and an extra player over 6'2 would likely make a big difference.
What is Potter on about ??? on 22:14 - Apr 1 with 2584 viewsDr_Winston

Is it a massive coincidence that we seem to have become significantly weaker from set pieces since Joe Rodon got injured?

What is Potter on about ??? on 22:16 - Apr 1 with 2578 viewsA_Fans_Dad

It is just as much to do with having a Goal Keeper that does not Command his Box and stands rooted to the goal line during any kind of Cross.
What is Potter on about ??? on 22:27 - Apr 1 with 2548 viewsLuther27

What is Potter on about ??? on 22:02 - Apr 1 by jasper_T

We've not deviated from a very broad group of systems, no. And we shouldn't because statistically a primarily-zonal system is going to lead to less chances conceded than a primarily-man to man system when you have a smaller than average squad. Top footballing teams almost all use zonal systems for good and well-supported reasons.

To say we haven't deviated at all is incorrect, though. We've used several different zonal arrangements this season. For example, after the first West Brom defeat we started assigning Rodon to the zone beyond the back post, from where we conceded both goals.

We haven't been good enough at defending set pieces. And it does come down to coaching and organisation, and the quality of players being used. To concede more than average is understandable, but to concede the most in the division is surely correctable on some level. It's not an overnight fix, although a braver goalkeeper and an extra player over 6'2 would likely make a big difference.

And that's the point I'm trying to make. The only change to our defending set piece play...corners...was at the start of the season we used 8 players in the box holding static positions. Now we have 10 in the box with one defending a short corner. My gripe is not with the players it's with the defence coach.
What is Potter on about ??? on 22:30 - Apr 1 with 2535 viewsPentyrchJack

Was it an April Fool? (Sadly not I think)

Poll: Fox Hunting - what do you think?

What is Potter on about ??? on 22:33 - Apr 1 with 2526 viewsjasper_T

The full "statement" is here. It's 18 minutes long.

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/potter-we-have-put-frustrations-behind-us
What is Potter on about ??? on 22:43 - Apr 1 with 2508 viewsLuther27

What is Potter on about ??? on 22:16 - Apr 1 by A_Fans_Dad

It is just as much to do with having a Goal Keeper that does not Command his Box and stands rooted to the goal line during any kind of Cross.

I agree, but to be fair to him if the guy is told to do it, then, do it he will.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024