Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cameron Toshack 17:09 - May 19 with 6259 viewsBytholWyn

When the speculation started about the who the new Swansea manager came out the names mentioned seemed to be a mix of who is currently available, Welsh managers and sundry managers who have been around the block a number of times. So the likes of Pulis (ticks all three boxes), Flynn and Allardyce have been mentioned and/or featured in the early odds. I don't think even the American owners would appoint any of these, not that I can be entirely confident of that. But for us to appoint the likes of Pulis, Flynn or Allardyce would be utter stupidity. That's not to denigrate their abilities - Flynn in particular has impressed me. It's just that none of these would be at all suitable for the Swansea job. In fact, we might as well close the academy immediately (that's not a suggestion by the way) because it would be a complete waste of money.

What these ridiculous suggestions highlight is the paramount importance of appointing a manager that can continue the excellent job done by Potter this season and make proper use of the players coming out of our academy. Hopefully, we can identify an unknown but up-and-coming manager from Germany or the Netherlands. I'm not holding my breath on that. Failing that Cameron Toshack ticks most of the boxes.

Firstly he knows and understands the qualities of the academy youngsters and presumably has a good rapport with them. This could help us keep at least some of our most promising youngsters on board for a while yet. There should also be a fair degree of continuity in terms of playing style. When Toshack has appeared as a match day summariser he's stood out for the excellence and quality of his analysis, in sharp contrast to most of the alternatives. For comparison, even though Leon was one of the better pundits his comments did tend to be a bit bland and lacking in depth. Toshack was also noticeably reluctant to criticise the players, a diplomatic streak that I didn't expect from him, given who his dad is, but a quality that would earn him a lot of respect in the dressing room.

If I were to make one criticism of Toshack it would be that he lack a bit of hwyl, perhaps a bit too cerebral. But his calmness could be offset by a more animated assistant. Not that Leon is particularly excitable - but he could be a decent foil to Toshack, while he gets his coaching badges.

I hope we discover a manager out there with a track record with a senior side as well as the possession football credentials. Failing that, Toshack would be a decent and congruent appointment. Given his availability and low wage cost I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Americans go for him. I wouldn't be overjoyed, but I wouldn't be wailing and gnashing my teeth either.
Cameron Toshack on 14:36 - May 20 with 925 viewscostalotta

Cameron Toshack on 12:25 - May 20 by jasper_T

I wouldn't give him the job either, but a relegation in development football isn't a reason why, as you seemed to suggest in your post.

Just as a title and cup double, and 4th place finish last season, aren't reasons to give Richards a crack. It's a different job with different priorities.

My bad, i thought you were biggin that idea up as a way forward. I wasn't saying relegation in development football is the sole reason. I am saying development football and relegation is a good enough reason at this time.
Cameron Toshack on 14:40 - May 20 with 898 viewsAngelRangelQS

Has he ever said what him ambitions are?

Would seem a bit silly taking him out of a job he's doing really well in.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024