Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
the fog 20:43 - Dec 19 with 1860 viewsjacaranda

The fog smells bad
Sulphurous almost
the fog on 21:05 - Dec 19 with 1831 viewsCatullus

Where abouts are you? In Skewen it smells like burning.

Don't go out in the fog, there's weird things around, well this is Neath!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

the fog on 21:31 - Dec 19 with 1810 viewsjacaranda

I was in the uplands area earlier and then sketty
Spoke to a mate who said penlan was lovely and sunny
the fog on 21:33 - Dec 19 with 1806 viewsGoldenBear

Smells like bonfire night. Haven't seen fog like this for years.
the fog on 21:39 - Dec 19 with 1804 viewsJack123

I went out about 4.40 the sky was beautiful, went to visit somebody.. Ended up watching The Sweeney, left about 6.45 I couldn't believe how foggy it was.

libera nos a malo

the fog on 21:58 - Dec 19 with 1772 viewsjacaranda

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/foggiest-places-on-earth.html
I'd hate to have it regularly
Stephen King
the fog on 22:41 - Dec 19 with 1733 viewsLohengrin

the fog on 21:33 - Dec 19 by GoldenBear

Smells like bonfire night. Haven't seen fog like this for years.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

the fog on 00:31 - Dec 20 with 1680 viewsAndyCole

Odd innit, when the gentle Easterlies slowly waft their stink in from Port Talbot steelworks, most especially after a previous day of high pressure and no cloud cover, Swansea and Gower stinks like ghastly Port Talbot.

It really ain't rocket science is it.

The steelworks has a lot to answer for nowadays, in so many ways.

Let's hope for more and more prevailing Westerlies.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

the fog on 00:47 - Dec 20 with 1673 viewsAndyCole

the fog on 22:41 - Dec 19 by Lohengrin

Yep, time for one for one more story, 11:55 before midnight.......

Serious question: what harm is the sulphurous stink form Port Talbot Steelworks casting over Swansea Bay ?

TIA.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Login to get fewer ads

the fog on 09:08 - Dec 20 with 1591 viewsCatullus

Stink from the steelworks? The steelworks didn't cause the fog and I lived in Mumbles til I was 25 and never once smelt the steelworks. From Skewen I can see the steelworks and we can't smell it here either.

The only time I ever smelt the steelworks was driving past on the motorway.

Why does fog smell,

Profile photo for Honza Chylík
Honza Chylík
, postgraduate researcher in modelling atmosphere
Answered 5 years ago · Author has 314 answers and 506.3K answer views
short answer: because some gasses and dirt gets dissolved in water

explanation:Before I answer this question, I would like to clarify that fog does not smell by default, but just in some specific cases. Now lets have a closer look at the formation and the composition of Fog.

Fog start forming close to ground when there is a combination of high humidity and relatively cold temperature (2.5-4°C). In these conditions, water vapour starts condensing on fine dust particles and other aerosols in the air. Condensed water droplets start growing until they reach some balance with surrounding air. So far good, hardly any smell.

Now we need to take into account that fog often forms in stale weather. Forming fog stops various dust and gasses from escaping from ground further away. Some of gasses and dust particles also got dissolved in the water droplets. If you are close to a city or a farm, various pollutants and aromatic substances get transported to you dissolved inside water droplets of fog. When you breath, your smell receptors in nose catches these small droplet and you smell something.

There you go, it's because of pollution in cities and on farms. The steelworks does smell but you have to be closer than Swansea (and definitely Gower) to smell it.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

the fog on 15:51 - Dec 21 with 1456 viewsLohengrin

the fog on 00:47 - Dec 20 by AndyCole

Serious question: what harm is the sulphurous stink form Port Talbot Steelworks casting over Swansea Bay ?

TIA.

Cat has given a full answer above, but as regards The Works, it has been on the major Winter stop for the last ten days. 👍

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

the fog on 18:05 - Dec 21 with 1411 viewsmajorraglan

I grew up in Baglan and we never had issues with smells from the steelworks, in fact I can’t recall smelling the work s in the town centre, the main areas affected were Taibach and Margam. The BP in Baglan Bay was more of an issue, but we hardly ever had smells from there either.
the fog on 18:08 - Dec 21 with 1405 viewsonehunglow

the fog on 00:47 - Dec 20 by AndyCole

TIA.

Dont slag off Swansea mun as Lifelong will be right into you.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

the fog on 22:54 - Dec 21 with 1373 viewsBrynmill_Jack

the fog on 00:31 - Dec 20 by AndyCole

Odd innit, when the gentle Easterlies slowly waft their stink in from Port Talbot steelworks, most especially after a previous day of high pressure and no cloud cover, Swansea and Gower stinks like ghastly Port Talbot.

It really ain't rocket science is it.

The steelworks has a lot to answer for nowadays, in so many ways.

Let's hope for more and more prevailing Westerlies.

Nothing to do with warm water meeting cold air then??
That’s not rocket science either.
It’s science.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024