Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aberfan 21:52 - Oct 23 with 3933 viewsTreforys_Jack

Thought the decision to clap a mins applause for Aberfan was pretty poor. Surely both sets of fans could have given the moment the respect it was due. There were a few d#cks when Kev was talking, but surely to god a 60 sec silence would have been observed.
Aberfan on 14:15 - Oct 25 with 801 viewsBadlands

Aberfan on 21:54 - Oct 23 by Dr_Winston

Too many pissed up morons on both sides. They'd have been better off not mentioning it at all.

True but I only heard a large section in the Cardiff seats ignoring the preamble and start.
It should have been a silence.
Clapping is OK for acknowledging a person's life and contribution.
That said I think we have far too many tributes ahead of kick off.
(I remember Aberfan and collecting door - to - door.)

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Aberfan on 15:03 - Oct 25 with 784 viewsBryanSwan

Aberfan on 17:04 - Oct 24 by Treforys_Jack

I'm obviously on my own here, but clapping was disrespectful, what exactly were we clapping. I appreciate I'm probably to close to this as I had family members directly involved in this tragedy, so will make this my last post on the subject.

No i completely agree with you. It should've been a minutes silence and I'm sure any other game it would've been.

Unfortunately I think when it was being announced something kicked off between the NE and Away ends, which caused Kev to pause for a second, split decision was made to mitigate the chances of idiots shouting etc.
Its not right, but can see why they did it. Having idiots shouting out over a minutes silence would've been even worse in my opinion.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Aberfan on 15:08 - Oct 25 with 774 viewshowenjack

Aberfan on 15:52 - Oct 24 by ReslovenSwan1

I do not like minutes silences. Clapping is much better. Making 20,000 many drunk people normally singing filthy chants to show respect for something in particular is a big ask if you ask me

Having said that I was at a Millwall game on the same date in 2006 or so, They were going to have a minutes silence and did not expect Millwall to observe it but they did.

The rain was hammering on the roofs and momentarily i was taken to that school. I bubbled up it was very powerful. I lived in Aberdare as a kid at the time.

I saw a documentary few years back. Very moving. What was different was no one mentioned e religion and religious faith.

I was there at that game and respect to Millwall - you could have heard a pin drop.
Aberfan on 16:15 - Oct 25 with 752 viewsRichardO

Would like to think even the most small minded of fans once they realised what was being observed would have calmed down and observed the minutes silence because it would be to their shame if they didn't and I sure they would have been told in no uncertain terms of their shameful behaviour by all, whether it be Swansea or Cardiff fans.
Sometimes do you have to trust people to do the right thing.
Aberfan on 18:08 - Oct 25 with 735 viewsTreforys_Jack

Aberfan on 16:15 - Oct 25 by RichardO

Would like to think even the most small minded of fans once they realised what was being observed would have calmed down and observed the minutes silence because it would be to their shame if they didn't and I sure they would have been told in no uncertain terms of their shameful behaviour by all, whether it be Swansea or Cardiff fans.

Absolutely this !!!
Aberfan on 19:29 - Oct 25 with 692 viewsReslovenSwan1

Aberfan on 16:15 - Oct 25 by RichardO

After 5 pints? We have all been there I would think. Getting 20,000 free spirits to do what you want is a big ask. Many would still not have a clue about the events of that black day.

I quite like this in fact. A lack of deference to authority can be a good thing. It does not happen in North Korea or China or Russia these days.

The right thing happened after Swansea city had sold 20,000 pints of beers and got some of the fans "tanked up".

Wise sage since Toshack era

Aberfan on 20:04 - Oct 25 with 677 viewsCatullus

Aberfan on 17:04 - Oct 24 by Treforys_Jack

I'm obviously on my own here, but clapping was disrespectful, what exactly were we clapping. I appreciate I'm probably to close to this as I had family members directly involved in this tragedy, so will make this my last post on the subject.

No, I'm with you. It was a crying shame we couldn't have the silence.

We live in bloody awful times, no respect, no decency.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Aberfan on 13:07 - Oct 26 with 639 viewsRichardO

Aberfan on 19:29 - Oct 25 by ReslovenSwan1

After 5 pints? We have all been there I would think. Getting 20,000 free spirits to do what you want is a big ask. Many would still not have a clue about the events of that black day.

I quite like this in fact. A lack of deference to authority can be a good thing. It does not happen in North Korea or China or Russia these days.

The right thing happened after Swansea city had sold 20,000 pints of beers and got some of the fans "tanked up".

But the minute silence in this case was not about a deference to authority it was about having common decency which you seem to think is beyond some but has been carried out in numerous instance at football matches throughout the country even when too many pints have been had.
Usually the crowd around the ones who aren't aware of what is happening are quick to let them know their mistake
Login to get fewer ads

Aberfan on 14:36 - Oct 26 with 591 viewsbennytheblue

Aberfan on 20:04 - Oct 25 by Catullus

No, I'm with you. It was a crying shame we couldn't have the silence.

We live in bloody awful times, no respect, no decency.

Ain’t this the truth. Tanked up before a 12.30 ko ffs? Never been one for drinking at football anyway, bar on the way to Wembley or something. Never had a drink for a regular league match at lunchtime….just bizarre. Can only assume it’s for the brain dead or socially inept who need it to further one’s communicating skills, however prehistoric they might be.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024